ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL (México) - 1st March 2006
© and thanks Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tyson sentenced Return to archive
19th November 2007 03:16 PM
mojoman Mike Tyson Sentenced to 1 Day in Jail
By CHRIS KAHN – 1 hour ago

MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Mike Tyson was sentenced Monday to 24 hours in jail and three years' probation for cocaine possession and driving under the influence.

The former heavyweight champion had pleaded guilty in September to a single felony count of cocaine possession and a misdemeanor DUI count.

"I take responsibility for my actions," Tyson told Superior Court Judge Helene Abrams in an almost inaudible voice before she handed down the sentence.

Tyson, who will begin serving his jail time Tuesday morning, left the courthouse without speaking to reporters.

Tyson had faced a possible maximum sentence of four years and three months in prison. Prosecutor Shane Krauser had recommended one year in prison Monday, saying that Tyson was a multiple offender who previously had been convicted of a violent crime and that only now has he sought treatment for his drug addiction.

"Judge, by my calculations, this is his fourth or fifth chance," Krauser said.

The latest charges stemmed from a traffic stop in Scottsdale on Dec. 29 after the boxer had spent the evening at Scottsdale's Pussycat Lounge and was seen driving erratically. An officer said he saw Tyson wiping a white substance off the dashboard of his black BMW, and that his speech was slurred.

Authorities said they found bags of cocaine in Tyson's pocket and in his car.

Tyson told officers later that he used cocaine "whenever I can get my hands on it," and that he preferred to smoke it in Marlboro cigarettes with the tobacco pulled out, according to court documents. He also told police that he used marijuana that day and was taking the antidepressant Zoloft, the documents state.

Since his arrest, Tyson checked himself into an inpatient treatment program for what his lawyer called "various addictions."

Tyson attorney David Chesnoff said his client had taken 29 drug tests without a relapse since his arrest and that he's attended Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings.

Two of Tyson's former wives also wrote letters to the court asking for leniency.

Abrams said Monday that she was impressed that Tyson was seeking therapy for his drug addiction. "You worked to address your addiction and self-destructive behavior," Abrams said.

In addition to probation, Tyson also will have to pay a fine and serve 360 hours of community service, including at least 20 hours per month.

County Attorney Andrew Thomas had said after the plea was entered that Tyson should be put in prison, noting that Tyson was convicted of rape in Indiana in 1992 and pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges in Maryland in 1999.

In 1986, Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history when, at 20, he knocked out Trevor Berbick. He lost his title four years later when he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas. By 1997, Tyson's career hit a low point when he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight.

Tyson, 41, recently had been trying to revive his career with a series of boxing exhibitions
19th November 2007 05:59 PM
glencar 24 hours? Why bother?
19th November 2007 06:15 PM
Gazza I know. Its not like he's at risk of being raped in the showers or anything.
19th November 2007 07:03 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I know. Its not like he's at risk of being raped in the showers or anything.

He's the raper...
19th November 2007 07:15 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:

He's the raper...

don't fear the raper
20th November 2007 08:10 AM
guitarman53
20th November 2007 10:44 AM
gypsy
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Now that was a champ.
Mike Tyson ruined boxing.
20th November 2007 12:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Now that was a champ.

Au contraire. Tyson resurrected it for a while. The sport needs a high profile heavyweight champ as it's 'figurehead'. Tyson was a great shot in the arm for the sport when he was managed by Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs.

Don King then proceeded to ruin Tyson en route to ruining the entire sport (along with the various 'alphabet' organisations who made the sport a fucking joke by having so many world titles that almost anyone can win one if theyre managed well enough)

The hunger for power and money at all costs fucks many things up. Boxing has gone the way of most sports that way, as has the music industry.
20th November 2007 12:42 PM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Au contraire. Tyson resurrected it for a while. The sport needs a high profile heavyweight champ as it's 'figurehead'. Tyson was a great shot in the arm for the sport when he was managed by Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs.

Don King then proceeded to ruin Tyson en route to ruining the entire sport (along with the various 'alphabet' organisations who made the sport a fucking joke by having so many world titles that almost anyone can win one if theyre managed well enough)

The hunger for power and money at all costs fucks many things up. Boxing has gone the way of most sports that way, as has the music industry.

You're right. It saddens me though, that boxing isn't what it used to be.
20th November 2007 01:05 PM
mojoman king=cohl?
20th November 2007 01:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
gypsy wrote:

You're right. It saddens me though, that boxing isn't what it used to be.

me too
20th November 2007 01:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
mojoman wrote:
king=cohl?

Cue Gottorollme's inspired King/Cohl photoshop...
20th November 2007 06:36 PM
stonedinaustralia gypsy wrote:

Now that was a champ.

quote:
Gazza wrote:

agreed gazza - no doubt tyson was more reminiscent of a frenzied shark than anything else - but at his peak he took the art to a new level of efficiency

"I just try to imagine i am punching their noses back up into their brains, ronnie"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)