ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Sidemen staringt at Jaxx
Michael Davis, Bobby Keys and Kent Smith in Denver
© 2005 Jaxx
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Chris Whitley & Link Wray Return to archive
November 24th, 2005 10:28 AM
shakedhandswithkeith Sad day for fans of both and gitare player!! RIP folks
November 24th, 2005 11:23 AM
Jumacfly Chris Withley too??
that sucks...RIP guys
November 24th, 2005 12:56 PM
FPM C10 Singer-songwriter Chris Whitley Dies

- Lung cancer has taken the life of singer-songwriter Chris Whitley. The 45-year-old died Sunday in Houston, according to his record label, Messenger Records.

Whitley was best known for a musical style that covered everything from roots, rock 'n' roll, blues, electronica, and jazz.

"I'm always looking for something kind of melancholy," Whitley told the Houston Chronicle earlier this year. "I guess I was trying to mix these things without really knowing it. I write in a way that's more subconscious, just trying to articulate some mystery that's not obvious."

On Whitley’s website, a special message has been posted by his brother, Daniel. "I hope you all will mourn my brother's death, but more important, celebrate his life as Chris was all about life and living," Daniel wrote. "I started the celebration by cranking up `Dirt Floor' in his honor."

Whitley released “Dirt Floor” in 1998. It’s one of the 11 albums he has recorded since his 1991 debut, "Living with the Law." His last album, "Soft Dangerous Shores," was released this year
November 24th, 2005 01:12 PM
FPM C10

LINK WRAY

Father of guitar power chord

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Guitar master Link Wray, the father of the power chord in rock ’n’ roll who inspired such legends as Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie and Pete Townshend, died Nov. 5. He was 76.

Wray, who played in a trademark leather jacket, developed a style considered the blueprint for heavy metal and punk music. He is best known for his 1958 instrumental “Rumble,” 1959 “Rawhide” and 1963 “Jack the Ripper.”

His music has been featured in movies including “Pulp Fiction,” “Independence Day” and “Desperado.”

Wray, who was born in North Carolina, is said to have inspired many other rock musicians, including Townshend of the Who, Springsteen, Bowie, Bob Dylan and Steve Van Zandt. All have been quoted as saying that Wray and “Rumble” inspired them to become musicians.

The power chord — a thundering sound created by playing fifths (two notes five notes apart, often with the lower note doubled an octave above) — became a favorite among rock players. Wray claimed because he was too slow to be a whiz on the guitar, he had to invent sounds.

Though he went out of style in the ’60s, he was rediscovered by later generations. He toured the United States and Canada since the mid-1990s, playing 40 shows this year. In 2002, Guitar World magazine elected Wray one of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/13238443.htm

November 24th, 2005 01:39 PM
Nasty Habits I will be doing an all Link Wray show on Saturday from 3 - 5 PM Eastern time with all of his great recordings, vocal and instrumental.

http://www.wpvm.org

November 24th, 2005 02:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nice Nasty.

I can make the last two hours of that.
November 24th, 2005 03:25 PM
FPM C10 I heard part of "Rumble" on the radio yesterday and my first thought was "cool! "Live at Leeds"!

I think it's safe to say The Who would've sounded WAY different if Link Wray had never been born.
November 26th, 2005 08:19 AM
Nasty Habits I would like to once again announce that I am going to be doing a two-hour tribute to Link Wray today on my radio show. He was the greatest (half) white American rock and roll guitarist ever, and arguably rock and roll's greatest rhythm guitarist/riffmeister. I can only think of one dude who can seriously challenge him.

Still, shockingly, not in the R'n'R Hall of Hame and poorly memorialized after his death last week (that fucking ugly dog got more memorial time in the media) it looks like it's up to Nasty and folks like him on little radio stations around the country to sing Link back home.

So, today. Saturday. 3 - 5 pm. Eastern. Be there or be forever square.

W-R-A-Y Radio

November 26th, 2005 01:10 PM
IzzyStradlin I saw Whitley play in a bar opening up for Warren Zevon (circa 1992). I had back stage passes and met both guys then had front row center.

Chris Whitley played by himself and used a bent bicyle handle to play slide guitar all night.

It was the most incredible performance I have ever seen.

That guy was phenomenal.

Sadly, he was beyond wasted and thinner than Ronnie Wood. It was clear he had some problems.

It was also clear he had NO problems playing guitar.

RIP
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)