ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 37th Ya Ya's Out!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ZimMAY! Return to archive
19th November 2006 11:42 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yesterday, the gang & I made the trek to the big city to see a band called the Raconteurs and Mr. Robert(Bob) Zimmerman(Dylan) play their intstruments and sing songs that they wrote in a live and spontaneous fashion. This would be my 18th trip to see Sir Bob(I know we don't knight people here in the US...but FUCH IT, Bob deserves to be a knight dammit!).

I got about half hammered. OK, 3/4 hammered. But not so hammered that I wouldn't remember shit. And hangover free this AM too.

We missed most of the Racs first song. Who woulda thunk that they would start at precisely the time stated on the ticket. That never happens. Did last night. Fuckers.

Our seats were on the bottom level, towards the top, about half way back. The sound was very echo laden and boomy. I looked up, and the second level overhang ended about 2 rows in front of us. That overhang sucked, really hampered the sound of the shows. Fucker.

Lemme say this. Jack White is a fuckin' Rock n Roll guitar GOD! I don't say that about just anyone. Made me say "Holy SHIT!" a couple of times. The Racs are a seriously good band. Strong songs that are even better stretched out live. "Hands" was a slice of heaven. "Steady as She Goes" at the end brought the house down. A standing "O" from a Philly crowd. Yeah THAT good. They have a big fat live sound...fatter and fuller than the album, IMO. And I think those songs are well served getting stretched and jammed out a little. Unusual for me, because I like songs to be short and sweet. Like Neil Young & Crazy Horse...The Raconteurs are an exception. I wanted to get a shirt after the show...completely sold out. The racs sold every fucking shirt that they brought. I couldn't find any pins either. Oh well, there's always eBay.

The interim between bands went so quick that I didn't even have time to piss. I missed the first half of the first song! Here's what Mr. Zimmerman did last night:

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Wachovia Spectrum

November 18, 2006

1. The Levee's Gonna Break
2. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
3. High Water (For Charley Patton)
4. To Ramona
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Desolation Row
7. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
8. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
9. Highway 61 Revisited
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Tangled Up In Blue
12. Nettie Moore
13. Summer Days
(encore)
14. Thunder On The Mountain
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

High Water and Desolation Row were as good as I've ever seen...really cool new arrangements. Of the new songs, Nettie Moore was the standout. Bob had the crowd in the palm of his hand on that one. The band really did a lot of volume control last night...playing softly when Bob was tickling us, and cranking it up when Bob was ripping our guts out. They also had Bob's organ way up in the mix last night. I had just seen Bob this past sept. and his organ wasn't nearly as prominent as it was last night. Man, Bob plays some weird shit on organ. But not weird in a bad way. Good weird. He cracked me up a buncha times last night.

It was a good crowd last night. Young. That really suprised me. There were kids, teens and young twenty somethings all over the place. That's cool. The crowd reacted at all the right spots. There was much singing and dancing. I got a funky $10 bootleg T out in the parking lot. Remind me to get it out of my buddies' car today, will ya?

Last night was SUPPOSED to be the last show of the tour...but now NYC is. We thought that we would get a guesty from Jack, but it didn't happen. It will in NYC. Fuckers.

All in all it was an A+ road trip, good friends, good music, good booze, good herbal cold remedey. No one got arrested or killed, and fun was had by all.

Next week will be a little less laid back...NY Dolls/Supersuckers/Chesterfield Kings/Charms/Go-Go Girls @ the TLA. That one could be trouble....

I now open the floor to questions and comments.

19th November 2006 02:26 PM
GotToRollMe Sounds like a good one, ss. I'm seeing him at City Center tomorrow night and I'm psyched as hell.
19th November 2006 04:12 PM
SweetVirginia This show is already up on DIME:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=122017

20th November 2006 02:54 AM
glencar The crowd when I saw him last Monday was old.
20th November 2006 09:58 AM
Sir Stonesalot Another thing...

Bob had on some great trousers. Black with a strip of sparkley rhinestones down the lag.

I also really liked his hat. It was a wide brimmed, flat top, black cowboy hat. Something that you might see an Argentinian cattle wrangler wearing out on the Pampas.

And the Spectrum is a dump. It has aquired the nickname, "The Rectum". In my seats the sound was awful. Boomy and ehco-laden. It is a tribute to both bands that they made me forget about the shitty acoustics.

And Bob really is a "song & dance man". He does this quirky little shuffling dance while he playing. It's a hoot. I think maybe he was doing it just to draw attention to those great trousers that he had on.
20th November 2006 10:49 AM
Saint Sway great review "SS"

sorry I missed this one. Would of been fun to meet up with you.

I'm so excited for tonites show. This day is gonna fly by....

cheers!

Iron Ball McGintney
20th November 2006 10:57 AM
Lazy Bones Thanks for sharing, SS. Nettie, live, is really something, ain't it?!

Can Jack throw a football?
20th November 2006 04:36 PM
Saint Sway no Raconteurs tonite??????

WTF???

I just cked the venue and they say no opening act
20th November 2006 04:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, that blows.

The Racs were fucking OUTSTANDING Sat. night!

I've never seen an opening band win over a Philly crowd like that before. And people were buzzing about it on the way out after the show too...
20th November 2006 04:55 PM
Saint Sway I am crushed.
20th November 2006 05:01 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I am crushed.

Did you say crushed???

Sorry, to hear that. Maybe a mistake?
20th November 2006 05:05 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Sorry, to hear that. Maybe a mistake?

No mistake. I just confirmed with the venue. They said - and I quote - "there is no opening act. None! Ya know, like Van Halens front teeth."
20th November 2006 05:23 PM
pdog I want to see The Racs again, great band, greater live!
20th November 2006 11:15 PM
Lazy Bones from Bob Links...

New York, New York
New York City Center

November20, 2006

1. The Levee's Gonna Break
2. Seņor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
3. Rollin' And Tumblin'
4. Boots Of Spanish Leather
5. High Water (For Charley Patton)
6. When The Deal Goes Down
7. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
8. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
9. Tangled Up In Blue
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Nettie Moore
13. Summer Days

(encore)
14. Ain't Talkin'
15. Thunder On The Mountain
16. Like A Rolling Stone
21st November 2006 09:36 AM
Martha No opening band meant a GREAT set list from Bob! I LOVE your review Stonesy! I haven't seen the Racs...missed them when they hit Denver. And I didn't get Nettie Moore at either show.....I'll have to beg for a B&P!

;-)

Oh, Bob's new organ is a hoot....well the way he plays it is anyway. I always crack-up at the shit he does on that thing. He's a class-A IMP!

Did you know he played some of The Stones "Rice Krispies" jingle on his last TTRH where the subject was "food"?
'
I didn't know anything about this song. I need a full recording of that one!

Who has it?!?!?!?!

Drooling.........as usual.

xxoo,
Martha

If it keeps on rainin', the levee's gonna break.
21st November 2006 10:04 AM
GotToRollMe The 11/20 City Center show was great! No opening act, which is fine with me. I just wish Bob had played guitar. It's weird seeing him only on electric keys and harmonica. Still, though, great songs, great band, great show. I loved his renditions of "Senor," "Highway 61," "Tangled Up In Blue," and "It's Alright, Ma," but "Boots Of Spanish Leather" was really outstanding.

Bob Dylan - a National Treasure. I hope I get to see him again some day.

I had quite a night, too. I met Elvis Costello before the show. I was standing on line for drinks and spotted him talking to another guy about 20 feet away, so I left my friend on line and went up and introduced myself. "I just wanted to thank you and tell you that words can't express how much your music means to me. God bless you." (Gawd, typical fan gushing, but I couldn't help it!) He beamed, shook my hand, and said, "Thank you very much. It's always nice to hear that." I didn't want to bug him anymore, so I took my leave. Meanwhile, my friend who was standing in line with a camera phone DID NOT take a picture. Schmuck! I've met a bunch of "rock stars" over the years, but Elvis is a special favorite of mine, so this was a pretty big thrill for me.

Then after the show me and my buddy went across the street for a smoke, and who should come strolling up and lean against the building about six feet away but Mickey Rourke! I walked over to him and said, "Anyone ever tell you that you look exactly like Mickey Rourke?" He said, "Only my mother," and extended his hand to me. We stood there for a few minutes talking about how much we love Bob Dylan! LOL! He mentioned that Dylan was pretty sick, but I didn't press for details. I've heard plenty of stories about what an asshole Rourke is, but he was very gracious to me. I even got him to crack a smile a couple of times, which is no small feat, believe me.

A very interesting and enjoyable night. Viva Bob!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
21st November 2006 10:18 AM
Sir Stonesalot My fave EC moment...Sat. Night Live. The powers that be told him not to play Radio Radio because they didn't want to piss off NBC...who at the time owned a pile of radio stations.

So he comes out, starts playing a song...and stops it a couple of bars into it. He says "No no no...", and rips into a particularly venemous Radio Radio.

I love that. Great Rock n Roll moment. I wonder if that's on YouTube yet?
21st November 2006 11:02 AM
Sir Stonesalot It is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuknbvu21Q
21st November 2006 11:56 AM
glencar NICE!
21st November 2006 12:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Great clip ain't it?

I just put it up on my MySpace page.
21st November 2006 03:30 PM
MikeyC613 God man, they rocked the shit out of that.
21st November 2006 03:33 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My fave EC moment...Sat. Night Live. The powers that be told him not to play Radio Radio because they didn't want to piss off NBC...who at the time owned a pile of radio stations.

So he comes out, starts playing a song...and stops it a couple of bars into it. He says "No no no...", and rips into a particularly venemous Radio Radio.

I love that. Great Rock n Roll moment. I wonder if that's on YouTube yet?

Hell yeah! I was watching SNL the night of that incident. Lorne Michaels (producer of SNL) stood in front of Elvis throughout the entire song cursing him and telling him he'd never play on American television again! What a moment!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
21st November 2006 05:19 PM
Martha I can't open the video but have seen the clip.

Long live Elvis!!!!

What about Bob being sick? Was MR pulling your chain or did you notice anything when Bob was on stage.
21st November 2006 07:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
I can't open the video but have seen the clip.

Long live Elvis!!!!

What about Bob being sick? Was MR pulling your chain or did you notice anything when Bob was on stage.

If hes "pretty sick", he wouldnt be playing 100 shows a year.

Why Rourke would say something as indiscreet as that to a complete stranger is pretty fucked up. Not to say ironic

Nice review, GTRM. Sounds like a great show and it was excellent that you met two people who mean a lot to you.
21st November 2006 08:17 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

If hes "pretty sick", he wouldnt be playing 100 shows a year.
Why Rourke would say something as indiscreet as that to a complete stranger is pretty fucked up. Not to say ironic

I thought it was strange as well, and indiscreet to say the least. Actually, I shouldn't have even mentioned it. I wouldn't worry about it, Martha.
21st November 2006 08:35 PM
claudiomoraleida the Costello SNL vid

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=costello+snl
22nd November 2006 01:04 PM
Martha
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

I thought it was strange as well, and indiscreet to say the least. Actually, I shouldn't have even mentioned it. I wouldn't worry about it, Martha.

Thanks GTRM and Gary for your comments. You all know I will worry about Bob if I think he is ill.....but you would have noticed it during the show and it sounds like you didn't.

(BIG sigh of relief!)

MR prolly wants attention.....so he blows his mouth off about Bob. But who knows if he even talked to him. LOL

I have noticed that Bob's nose is always runnin'during the shows......that's normal for him. :-)

Gary- do YOU have the Stones Rice Krispies jingle in your vast catalog? Please say you do! ;-)

Giving thanks for all the kind people on this board,
Martha

22nd November 2006 01:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
Gary- do YOU have the Stones Rice Krispies jingle in your vast catalog? Please say you do! ;-)

On video/DVD? Of course. Must be all of about 40 seconds!!!

I'll be popping a long overdue package in the mail to you before Christmas. We'll have to discuss the contents!
23rd November 2006 09:42 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

On video/DVD? Of course. Must be all of about 40 seconds!!!

I'll be popping a long overdue package in the mail to you before Christmas. We'll have to discuss the contents!

You spoil me Santa! ;-)

Did you send a copy to Bob for his TTRH? LOL It sounded so good....made me crave some snap, crackle and POP!

Crave!

xxoo,
MM
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)