ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 37th Ya Ya's Out!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan Modern Times Tour starts today! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
25th October 2006 05:17 AM
Gazza Great setlist. Nice surprise to see "Joeykins" I'm sure!
25th October 2006 05:36 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Great setlist. Nice surprise to see "Joeykins" I'm sure!

Sure, but sadly Modern Times is largely neglected!
25th October 2006 08:32 AM
PartyDoll MEG WOW, Martha!! Great setlist...you lucky Sway Sister you!!!
25th October 2006 09:05 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
F505 wrote:
Sure, but sadly Modern Times is largely neglected!

Not really. So far, 40%, or 4 shows, have seen 3 tracks from Modern Times performed while the other 6 shows have seen 4.

"Largely neglected"? Not imo.

Glad you had a great time, Martha. Btw, how's TMR doing these days?

25th October 2006 09:08 AM
F505
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Not really. So far, 40%, or 4 shows, have seen 3 tracks from Modern Times performed while the other 6 shows have seen 4.

"Largely neglected"? Not imo.

Glad you had a great time, Martha. Btw, how's TMR doing these days?

I was refering to the Denver show: only 2 songs from MT
25th October 2006 10:37 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
F505 wrote:

me, too (see songs 7, 13 & 14)...

Denver, Colorado
Fillmore
October 24, 2006

1. Absolutely Sweet Marie
2. Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
3. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
4. Under The Red Sky
5. Honest With Me
6. Joey
7. Workingman's Blues #2
8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
9. This Wheel's On Fire
10. Shooting Star
11. Things Have Changed
12. Masters Of War
13. Rollin' And Tumblin'

(encore)
14. Thunder On The Mountain
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
25th October 2006 11:01 AM
glencar LOL From Gazza's post, I thought Joey, our Joey, had shown up. Shoulda known better...
25th October 2006 12:59 PM
F505
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

me, too (see songs 7, 13 & 14)...

Denver, Colorado
Fillmore
October 24, 2006

4. Under The Red Sky
5. Honest With Me
6. Joey
7. Workingman's Blues #2
8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
9. This Wheel's On Fire
10. Shooting Star
11. Things Have Changed
12. Masters Of War
13. Rollin' And Tumblin'

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
[Edited by Lazy Bones]

You're right. Missed one...
26th October 2006 12:06 AM
erikjjf Lincoln, Nebraska
Pershing Auditorium
October 25, 2006

4. Ballad Of A Thin Man
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Highway 61 Revisited
8. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
9. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
10. Desolation Row
11. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
12. Spirit On The Water
13. Summer Days
(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
26th October 2006 01:06 AM
Lazy Bones Looks like Martha got 23 different songs (of 32 performed) in 2 nights.

Not bad, I'd say...

Martha, how'd your mom enjoy the show - even though she didn't get her "Beyond the Horizon"?
26th October 2006 01:42 AM
_Boomy_ Has anybody picked up the vinly edition of MT? I saw it at the local record shop. I think I'll go back and pick it up, but I probably won't open it.
26th October 2006 07:24 AM
PartyDoll MEG Mr. Bones....I am sure Martha will be a "gushing" when she reports in!!
26th October 2006 10:10 AM
Lil Brian I haven't really seen enough Dylan shows to write a real review so I won't bore you with that. I'll just say "Workingman's Blues" is a really nice live song. "Spirit on the Water" worked well in Lincoln too. "Rollin' and Tumblin'" and "Thunder on the Mountain" were just romps. But the highlight for me had to be finally meeting MARTHA. She's a great lady and a big fan as we all know!
26th October 2006 10:13 AM
Lil Brian Lincoln Journal Star:

Dylan delivers best Lincoln performance in years
BY L. KENT WOLGAMOTT / GZO
Thursday, Oct 26, 2006 - 12:18:06 am CDT

Bob Dylan rolled back into Lincoln Wednesday and delivered the best show I’ve seen him perform here in the last two decades.

From the opening swing of “Absolutely Sweet Marie” to the final attack on “All Along The Watchtower,” Dylan was in complete command of the music. Standing and bobbing at an electric keyboard in the center of the Pershing Center stage, he led his band through brilliantly arranged versions of some of his classics and dipped into his chart-topping new album “Modern Times” for a few songs.

Wearing a black cowboy hat, black blazer and white shirt, Dylan looked sharp and his singing matched his appearance. Those who say Dylan can’t sing have never bothered to really listen to him. His use of his voice, sometimes nasal, sometimes raspy, sometimes filled with gravel, has never been better and his delivery, which moved to near-spoken on occasion, has never been better.

The 16-song concert was a very accessible Dylan show as these things go. There were no dives deep into his vast song catalogue and no dipping into his giant reservoir of old folk and blues songs that he and about five other people still know. Rather the songs were all easily recognizable for aficionados and most of the tunes could be sussed out by casual fans in the audience of 3,525 simply by listening for familiar lyrics.

Plus the arrangements weren’t so out there that the songs were unrecognizable. That said, there’s no such thing as a sing-along at a Dylan show — which, to me, is a very, very good thing.

Now, to talk about the band. Dylan’s been quoted saying that this group is the best band he’s ever worked with and I’ll take him at his word.

Tight and expressive, the five-piece band proved versatile and talented enough to make the “concert versions” stretch out in service of the songs rather than simply serve as instrumental show-off time. Let’s put it this way, the tunes averaged seven minutes each and none of them seemed too long.

Stylistically, the music ranged from acoustic country to rock ‘n’ roll, but most the songs were rooted in blues.

That was certainly the case with the dark “Senor (Tales of Yankee Power),” the boogie-driven “Rollin’ & Tumblin’” and even “Highway 61 Revisited” which got a little shot of John Lee Hooker to give it renewed punch. “Summer Days,” which closed the regular set was jump blues at its purest and most fun.

There were, however, trips down other paths. “Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again” got a ‘60s pop treatment, the acoustic and steel guitars gave a country/folk setting to “Workingman’s Blues No. 2,” a new Dylan protest song and “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall” was beautiful acoustic country.

The normally taciturn Dylan was positively chatty — for him — Wednesday night.

Following a shimmering, majestic version of “Like A Rolling Stone,” the night’s penultimate song, he said “Thank you,” introduced the band with some spirit, then said:

“We like playing here. I hope we can come back sometime and play again.”

You’re welcome back anytime, Bob
26th October 2006 10:21 AM
Gazza Some relic from the 60's, eh? 7 out of the 16 songs played last night come from the 3 albums he's released in the last decade

Great to see an artist of Dylan's age, reputation and history still have enough faith in both his audience and his new material to do that when taking the nostalgia route by ploughing through a collection of songs hes played to death 30 or 40 years ago would have been easier.

26th October 2006 10:46 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:

...when taking the nostalgia route by ploughing through a collection of songs hes played to death 30 or 40 years ago would have been easier.

You are referring to some rock band?
26th October 2006 10:48 AM
Gazza Just emphasising that it CAN be done and its great to see him following his own muse and not pandering.

The Stones are hardly alone from artists of that era who do that, in all fairness.

Very impressed with these shows so far. (I've downloaded six of them) The insertion of new songs seems to have given the shows a real kick up the arse - even in the way he's redoing the old ones too.

Its also nice to see that even though Modern Times has only been out a few weeks, the crowd's reaction to the new songs seems to be very enthusiastic. They're clearly familiar with them and like them.
[Edited by Gazza]
26th October 2006 12:37 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Just emphasising that it CAN be done and its great to see him following his own muse and not pandering.

The Stones are hardly alone from artists of that era who do that, in all fairness.

Very impressed with these shows so far. (I've downloaded six of them) The insertion of new songs seems to have given the shows a real kick up the arse - even in the way he's redoing the old ones too.

Its also nice to see that even though Modern Times has only been out a few weeks, the crowd's reaction to the new songs seems to be very enthusiastic. They're clearly familiar with them and like them.
[Edited by Gazza]

In other words: The Stones should use Dylan as a model!
And I think you're right.
26th October 2006 12:39 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Lincoln Journal Star:
Standing and bobbing at an electric keyboard in the center of the Pershing Center stage, he led his band through brilliantly arranged versions of some of his classics and dipped into his chart-topping new album “Modern Times” for a few songs.

Centre stage? He's not stage left anymore?
26th October 2006 01:04 PM
jostorm The Stones CANNOT use Dylan as a model, because Dylan is a serious, prolific and professional musician, and they have ceased being exactly that XXX (fill in appropriately) years ago.....

I can't wait until he gets to Europe!
26th October 2006 01:45 PM
paddy

Songs Played So Far

Songs sung in order of frequency with number of times sung in parentheses.
Eleven shows down with 51 different songs sung. New songs played this show – 1.

Like A Rolling Stone (11)
All Along The Watchtower (11)
Highway 61 Revisited (10)
Summer Days (10)
Thunder On The Mountain (10)
Rollin' And Tumblin' (9)
Workingman's Blues #2 (8)
When The Deal Goes Down (7)
Tangled Up In Blue (6)
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (5)
Watching The River Flow (5)
Maggie's Farm (5)
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (5)
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (4)
Desolation Row (4)
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (3)
Simple Twist Of Fate (3)
Just Like A Woman (3)
She Belongs To Me (3)
Lonesome Day Blues (3)
Nettie Moore (3)
High Water (For Charley Patton) (3)
Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power) (3)
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (2)
John Brown (2)
Cold Irons Bound (2)
To Ramona (2)
Cat's In The Well (2)
Ballad of Hollis Brown (2)
Masters Of War (2)
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (2)
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (2)
'Til I Fell In Love With You (2)
Spirit On The Water (2)
Absolutely Sweet Marie (2)
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (1)
Tombstone Blues (1)
Lenny Bruce (1)
Boots Of Spanish Leather (1)
I Shall Be Released (1)
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) (1)
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (1)
Sugar Baby (1)
Every Grain Of Sand (1)
Under The Red Sky (1)
Honest With Me (1)
Joey (1)
This Wheel's On Fire (1)
Shooting Star (1)
Things Have Changed (1)
Ballad Of A Thin Man (1)
26th October 2006 02:16 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Centre stage? He's not stage left anymore?

No, he's out front again. It was a rock show!
26th October 2006 03:32 PM
Lil Brian Gazza: You wouldn't have any idea how long Dylan's been playing at Pershing, would you? Somebody said since the 60's. Anybody happen to know?
26th October 2006 05:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Gazza: You wouldn't have any idea how long Dylan's been playing at Pershing, would you? Somebody said since the 60's. Anybody happen to know?

he played there on 12th March 1966!
http://www.bjorner.com/66.htm#_Toc476198281

Also played the same venue on 23.4.01

He also played Lincoln in August 1990 but at State Fair Park and in April 1994 at the University of Nebraska
[Edited by Gazza]
26th October 2006 07:00 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:

No, he's out front again. It was a rock show!

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it!
27th October 2006 06:25 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
Gazza wrote:
he played there on 12th March 1966!
http://www.bjorner.com/66.htm#_Toc476198281
Also played the same venue on 23.4.01
He also played Lincoln in August 1990 but at State Fair Park and in April 1994 at the University of Nebraska
[Edited by Gazza]

Thank you very much!
27th October 2006 08:50 AM
Lil Brian Martha- Did you get home ok? I saw there was a big storm in the Rockies yesterday.
27th October 2006 10:39 AM
paddy http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/dates.html
27th October 2006 12:19 PM
Martha
quote:
F505 wrote:

Count again .....it was 3
27th October 2006 12:25 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Looks like Martha got 23 different songs (of 32 performed) in 2 nights.

Not bad, I'd say...

Martha, how'd your mom enjoy the show - even though she didn't get her "Beyond the Horizon"?

She was literally lit up like a Christmas tree.....and wanting to go to Chicago right there and then! In other words......she absolutely LOVED it.

We had great seays in Lincoln and could see every moment...Bob wore a lemon yellow shirt with a matching scarf. (Like my Mother's favorite pie lemon m.) :-)

Got to meet Lil' Brian AND Phog...although I didn't even know phog was there. He ran into me and recognized me from the Wichita show. How's that for making music connections?!

I LOVE Bob.....more than any person I'll never meet! :-)

Hazy...you are up next for 2 shows in the Windy City! Wish I was there!

peace out,
Martha

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)