ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Judging albums by their cover... Return to archive
November 20th, 2004 05:32 PM
Mel Belli The best Stones albums are, by far, the ones with the best covers: the Big 4, Some Girls and Tattoo You. Right below the top tier are Aftermath and Between the Buttons, both of which have better-than-average covers.

Think of the weak covers on Goat's Head, ER, Black and Blue, Steel Wheels.

Is it just coincidence, or do we subconciously favor the covers of the albums we like?

Aesthetic judgments aren't necessarily absolute, but I think it's pretty indisputable that, say, the Exile cover is better than, say, the Dirty Work cover.

[Edited by Mel Belli]
November 20th, 2004 05:35 PM
andy@francis The big FOUR,i do'nt think so
November 20th, 2004 06:11 PM
glencar Black & Blue's cover is actually pretty good. I do like most of the songs. My biggest complaint about it is that there aren't enough songs.
November 20th, 2004 06:52 PM
gustavobala i like IORR!
November 21st, 2004 12:53 AM
IanBillen
Good Post,
I think Voodoo is one of their best, yet the album art is purposeful in it's simplicity and is somewhat "chintsy".

IORR is a cool cover as was stated but is an average album.

Sticky fingers is a classic in both cover art and material.

Emotional resque was kinda weak in both design and material.

Tattoo You was a great album and had great art on both front and back.

Bridges was just Bridges. It has it's own place.

I thought No Security's art was kinda stupid.

Let it Bleed was silly yet is a classic because of it's content. I think if this album was sub-par you would hear alot about how the cover art was silly. Instead you really don't hear anybody knocking it. That's because it was a great album.

So it depends on the material inside for the most part. This I believe has alot to do with our remembrence of the album's look.

Albums that may of not had the very best of Stones album cover art that were really good never really get knocked for it.

Ian
November 21st, 2004 02:48 AM
Madafaka Made In The Shade
November 21st, 2004 05:58 AM
egon i like the 60's album cover (as they are so sixties), sticky fingers, exile, tattoo & blue.

but for the most part their covers have been pretty crappy.
(bridges takes the no 1 price.)

but i'v'e never linked that to the actual music
November 21st, 2004 06:45 AM
corgi37 Cant go past Sticky Fingers. I mean, the cover is iconic! It was voted No1 Cover on VH1.

I like Goats Head. I think its very eerie. Keith looks actually dead.

The problem i have with Tattoo You is that on Keith and Mick get a tattooed picture. I'd love to see a photo of Charlie on the inner sleeve!!

Black & Blue cover is some brilliant photography.

My top 4;
1. Sticky Fingers
2. Satanic (3d, and i should know, i have it!)
3. Some Girls
4. Get yer ya ya's out

Worst;
1. Dirty Work
2. Steel Wheels
3. Flashpoint
4. Stripped

Hey, funny how all those "worst of" are of their latter work!

But, i actually like b2b. Voodoo is so-so.

I must confess, i never really thought much of Let if Bleed either.
November 21st, 2004 01:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
i like IORR!

That ones always been my favorite for some reason. (The album too for that matter) Needless to say I was quite taken aback when someone posted the "inspiration" for that cover, that pic of those nazis a while back. I'd like to get a copy of that. I about fell off my chair when I saw that post.
November 21st, 2004 02:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Black & Blue's cover is actually pretty good. I do like most of the songs. My biggest complaint about it is that there aren't enough songs.

Black and Blue is also one of my fave covers. They just look so.....nasty. Especially Charlie (an East End villain- look, if ever I saw one) and Keith. Never a favourite album, though.

I never liked the cover of Let it Bleed, and most of the recent album covers have been crap. In fact, the last Stones studio album with a good cover was Some Girls, although BTB wasnt bad. The album covers up to Some girls were usually pretty good with a couple of exceptions (Love You Live is particularly hideous)

The Brian-era 60's ones are all pretty good. Especially Between the Buttons (again, one of their weakest albums) and Decembers Children.

The quality of Stones' live albums can usually be summed up by their front cover. Ya Ya's cover is a classic, Stripped is decent and most of the rest are awful. I'm convinced to this day that the poor sales of No Security were partly attributable to that vile cover.
November 21st, 2004 02:59 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Love You Live is particularly hideous

see, now, i like that one. alot...

as for the '60s covers - i gotta give it up to voodoo's buddy manckowitz(sp) for decenmeber's children (on the steps)...

November 21st, 2004 03:48 PM
Mr. D I don't think this is always the case- one exception is Grand Funk's "Survival" album. It's a really silly cover (goofy looking cavemen) but the album itself is one of their best.
November 21st, 2004 04:37 PM
kath frankly, goat's head soup cover really put me off.

dirty work's cover is perfect because it's a terrible record with a terrible cover.

through the past darkly was dumb.

bridges was excellent.
November 21st, 2004 05:27 PM
glencar Undercover has an okay cover with some pretty good music inside.
November 21st, 2004 07:01 PM
gustavobala
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That ones always been my favorite for some reason. (The album too for that matter) Needless to say I was quite taken aback when someone posted the "inspiration" for that cover, that pic of those nazis a while back. I'd like to get a copy of that. I about fell off my chair when I saw that post.

i agree with you, ttm...

i think is helenistic/grecce culture...who knows Fotini could say sometihng about this...
November 21st, 2004 08:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A little off-topic but my two cents:

When I saw the title "Judging albums by their cover..." I thought in one of the biggest mistakes one can make buying music.

In my 35 years collecting music (Even that I bought my first 45 single in 1965, I really started my collection in 1969) I have learned two lessons:

1.- Never buy an album because of the cover.
2.- Never buy an album because one or more of the musicians involved in that album come from a band you like.

Several examples but too shy to post them here
November 21st, 2004 08:51 PM
corgi37 Hey, Gazza, i'm with you on the cover of No Security. It almost put me off buying it.

In fact, i wish it did!

And, as for black and blue cover. Jagger just looks absolutely fantastic on that cover. I love the inside pic too. Bill looks like a hippie space man!
November 21st, 2004 09:06 PM
Gazza check yer PMs
November 21st, 2004 09:13 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
check yer PMs

i did - but, alas... nothing

November 21st, 2004 09:17 PM
Gazza i meant Corgi...lol

mac - I KNOW yer e-mail address....I dont know corgi's!
November 21st, 2004 09:26 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
i meant Corgi...lol

mac - I KNOW yer e-mail address....I dont know corgi's!

i was f*cking around...

November 22nd, 2004 12:14 AM
seclusion Some Girls, maybe because it was so controversial and is a collectors item. Flowers, bad, bad, bad taste (although I do have the T-shirt). Black & Blue? Ummm, I can't stand it, sorry. It looks like Keith is getting ready to puke!
November 22nd, 2004 12:19 AM
Poplar
SF (wow)
Exile (just cool)
Let It Bleed (mysterious)
Black & Blue (keith looks very Keith)
December's Children (good picture)

hon. men.: the insert shot on the Beggar's Banquet album - that crazy shot of them at the table.

November 22nd, 2004 04:19 AM
Zack
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
i like IORR!

Can someone re-post the cover of IORR next to the near-identical Nazi rally? I found that absolutely fascinating the first time, and I think those who missed it would appreciate seeing it. Seems appropriate here on an album cover thread.
November 22nd, 2004 01:35 PM
glencar Yes, I'd like to see that one too.
November 22nd, 2004 10:31 PM
Soldatti Best covers:
Sticky Fingers
Exile
Some Girls
Satanic Majesties
Black And Blue

Worst covers:
Dirty Work (horrible colours...)
Emotional Rescue (??)
No Security
Live Licks (stupid at least...)
November 23rd, 2004 12:26 PM
F505 The last decent (although not brilliant) cover was Tattoo You which was also their last good album
(I have to admit the Stripped cover wasn't bad).
November 23rd, 2004 01:15 PM
Snappy McJack What about the "Forty Licks" artwork? Kinda, uh, ya know --like one of those flag stickers some people put on their fenders, bumpers, and rear window.