ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The most boring riff? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 18th, 2004 11:10 AM
Jair Imo, Smoke on the Water, from far.
On the other hand, "Maybe I'am Leo", is s great song, specially if you're high...
November 18th, 2004 11:21 AM
gimmekeef Any part of 'INNA GODDA DA VIDA"..and I know its spelled wrong but ................(or that little off key run Keith seems to play in the middle of any uptempo number these days)
November 18th, 2004 11:28 AM
sammy davis jr. Sunshine Of Your Love bores the shit out of me....
Dazed and Confused bores the shit out of me....
Slave is a boring riff too....Miss You not far behind.
November 18th, 2004 11:40 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Jair wrote:
Imo, Smoke on the Water, from far.
On the other hand, "Maybe I'am Leo", is s great song, specially if you're high...

Before you explain that the above comment is nothing but your opinion, I must say you are fuckin' nuts man....... How could somebody say that Smoke on the Water is boring!!! Absolutely nonsense. To me, Smoke on the water, Sunshine of Your Love, Born To Be Wild, LA Woman, Schools Out AND Stones' signature riffs like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Midnight Rambler are on the same level.

I think you are too much on this crap Rap/Hip-hop stuff. I had to say that.
November 18th, 2004 12:54 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Before you explain that the above comment is nothing but your opinion, I must say you are fuckin' nuts man....... How could somebody say that Smoke on the Water is boring!!! Absolutely nonsense. To me, Smoke on the water, Sunshine of Your Love, Born To Be Wild, LA Woman, Schools Out AND Stones' signature riffs like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Midnight Rambler are on the same level.

I think you are too much on this crap Rap/Hip-hop stuff. I had to say that.

amen !
Us RnB is the worst thing ever made, i d rather hear 10000 riffs like "smoke on the water" than Usher or Nely stuff!!!
but there are good music in Wu tang clan or beastie boys for example!
November 18th, 2004 02:02 PM
Jair
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
(...) I think you are too much on this crap Rap/Hip-hop stuff. I had to say that.

Hey JJF, there is alot of very good stuff where you say crap rap/hip-hop stuff: Coolio, Macy Gray, Fun Lovin Criminals, TLC and many more.

I never heard Kelly, Nelly or whatever. Its my right do not like those groups from 60's and 70's like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, for example, don't you think?

Anyway, keep your eyes open.

November 18th, 2004 02:48 PM
exile Flick the switch
November 18th, 2004 03:21 PM
ResidentMule Satisfaction
Smoke On The Water's riff is almost as boring. its worse when you listen to the entire song
November 18th, 2004 03:25 PM
Riffhard
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
Satisfaction
Smoke On The Water's riff is almost as boring. its worse when you listen to the entire song

I know that this whole boring riff thing is based on opinions,but are you fucking kidding me Mule?! Satisfaction?!?!?!?! You gotta be fucking nuts to say that! Satisfaction is the most iconic riff in the entire cannon of classic riffs! That's like saying Visions of Joanna is too wordy! Geesh!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
November 18th, 2004 03:33 PM
ResidentMule Iconic yes, Good no
its 3 notes. it could be played with one finger, possibly even a toe. and I'm not trying to make an argument that guitar chops = good riff. on paper its just as uninteresting. its a straight rhythm. it goes up, it goes down. simple. does it define early rock n roll? sure. it also defines everything about why jazz players, or classically trained musicians think rock n roll is a joke
November 18th, 2004 03:34 PM
ResidentMule oh, and Jair, good call on Maybe I'm A Leo. much better example of Deep Purple than Smoke
November 18th, 2004 03:48 PM
F505 The most boring riff goes like this: when do you think the Stones will go into the studio?
November 18th, 2004 03:52 PM
Riffhard Sorry bro but that explanation just don't wash. Have you ever heard the saying, "some times simplicity is best?" I mean I could give two shits about what some fucking pretentious jazz or classical player thinks about it. It's rock and fucking roll man! Satisfaction is the quinessential rock and roll riff. End of story. It ain't got to be complicated to be good. In fact in it's simplicity Satisfaction's riff is exactly what makes it,not good,not great,but sublime!

Is the Bo Diddly Beat simple? Hell yes. It's also the beat that launched a shit load of rock and roll careers. Buddy Holly and George Thorogood immedietly come to mind.

Judging by your handle I assume that you are a fan of Goverment Mule? Well,I know Warren Haynes and I can assure you that he would give his left nut to write a riff as instantly regognizable and iconic,and just plain great,as Satisfaction.

Riffhard
November 18th, 2004 03:53 PM
ResidentMule I have a question. does 'riff' only mean something played on a guitar? and if so, why?
personally I think this is a ridiculous question, and the answer is no, but why do people only look at guitar riffs?
November 18th, 2004 04:01 PM
Riffhard Well so far every example of a riff in this thread has been guitar riffs so that may answer your question. However,your right not all riffs are guitar based. The Bo Diddly beat is a prime example of that. That was based on a beat and drums but Bo played it on guitar.

Riffhard
November 18th, 2004 04:14 PM
ResidentMule i didn't say it had to be complex. i don't think a flurry of 64th notes makes a great riff. Satisfaction doesn't bore me because it isn't fast, or because Keith's fingers aren't all over the fretboard. its boring to me because its just 3 regular notes, or you could play them as 3 regular chords. its not important that there's only 3 of them, but there's nothing behind any of those notes. there's no quality to any notes/chords that makes them interesting to me. its just the same flat major/minor stuff that would be boring to me in any song

and as much respect as I have for Warren Haynes (who has written plenty of better riffs than Satisfaction - whether they are as easily recognized - I really don't give a shit. notice how all these early rock songs are the most well known? because people picked up on them first) why am I supposed to take what he has to say, but not care what 'some pretentious jazz musician' says. and to cut down all jazz musicians for being pretentious.. Count Basie? John Coltrane? I must've missed it when it was decided these guys didn't play their instruments and make music just as passionately as anyone
and if you know for a fact that Warren Haynes would think Satisfaction is such a great song, why does Mule never cover it, or even throw in a tease of it? and Warren is known for throwing in teases left and right. they've played Wild Horses plenty of times, never Satisfaction

satisfaction is what rock n roll is all about when you put attitude and "swagger" (God how I hate that word) above music. so, yeah, its quintessential rock n roll. I agree with you
November 18th, 2004 04:17 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Well so far every example of a riff in this thread has been guitar riffs so that may answer your question.

and you don't think its possible that that's because of narrow viewpoints?
I missed the part where guitar was the only instrument worth mentioning. (and I say this as a guitarist)
I didn't need the thread to answer my question, I already knew what a typical answer would be. the more important question is why?
[Edited by ResidentMule]
November 18th, 2004 04:37 PM
Riffhard The reason I said "some pretentious jazz or classical players" is because of this line Mule,"everything about why jazz players, or classically trained musicians think rock n roll is a joke" I personaly love alot of jazz and some classical as well. Coltrane? Love him! Miles Davis? Absofuckinglutly! Bitches Brew,Kind of Blue I love alot of his stuff.

Satisfaction is so iconic for one reason. Because when it came out in 1965 you could hear the snarl and badboy image coming right through the speakers because of the riff. It is the most sublime rock and roll riff of all time because it,in only 3 notes,captures the very essence of the Stones. That is reason enough to qulify it as a great riff in my book.

And trust me,Warren is a great cat and he loves the Stones. He would certainly argue the point as to the signifigance and greatness of the Satisfaction riff. As would most rock and roll artists I dare say.

Riffhard
November 18th, 2004 05:52 PM
seclusion Rare Earth - Get Ready

The beginning of the tune is great but then it goes on, and on and on...

Sorry, but Get Off of My Cloud gets on my nerves.
November 18th, 2004 07:06 PM
ResidentMule you know what makes Satisfaction a signature riff? its thrown in your face throughout the whole song. hell, it is the whole song. da-da dana naaaaa. that's all. if they had thrown those 3 notes in as just a fill in the middle of a song, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

also, I find it ironic that you use what another artist has to say about a song, when the people who wrote the song probably think its more overrated than anyone. remember when Jagger said he didn't want to be playing that song all his life? (and unfortunately, he's trapped - but they did make a point to not play it on the No Security tour) Keith thought the track was a throwaway - he didn't just 'hear it and know he had something' - that was up to the producers and the radio DJs. Charlie - well when has he ever expressed any excitement about the Stones music anyway? Charlie's playin drums anyway I'm sure the riff don't matter to him. then again, I guess you could lump Charlie in with that group of 'pretentious jazz players' if you wanted to. Bill Wyman pretty much left because he thought it was ridiculous to milk simple songs like that for 30 years. I'm not gonna say Satisfaction was directly the reason Wyman left 3 decades later, but he did get bored with the band. then there's Brian, who was all about the band moving in different directions and experimenting with new sounds. I mean I'm not gonna put words in a dead guy's mouth of what I think he would say about something now, but he was the last Stone to be content with playing the same old songs.

As much as I could ever expect a band to openly admit that one of their own songs isn't that great, I think the Stones have done with Satisfaction. No, you'll never get somebody to come right out and say their biggest hit sucks, but I do think they tried to get away from writing music like that, hence how many styles they've gone through.

I'm sure Warren Haynes would have something to say about the historical importance. I also think he'd distinguish the difference between being iconic & being musical. and I'm sure he could agree that musically, it is not the Stones best songs. for all I know, the first note of Satisfaction may have been what inspired him to pick up a guitar, those are two COMPETELY different values. just like Kurt Cobain. OK, so decent songwriter, but great guitarist? no, and he knew it. but he inspired other people to start playing. if you asked a musician who had been playing for years what they thought of Smells Like Teen Spirit what they thought of the riff, you'd find some that might have something good to say about it, but the reactions would still be different to the song.

I just think there's two ways of listening to things. there's stuff you get a charge out of- you know, air guitar stuff, and then there's listening to something with a critical ear. And for all the people I've heard say Satisfaction is a great song, I've never heard anybody say 'wow, B-C#-D is the greatest progression of all time, why the fuck didn't I think of that'. there's a difference.

I don't hate the tune, but when somebody's like "Here - you gotta listen to this riff, its awe inspiring" then,,, no. what Satisfaction says is "Listen to this riff, it makes you wanna rock." personally, I'm not excited by that.
November 18th, 2004 07:07 PM
sirmoonie You sicken me.
November 18th, 2004 07:16 PM
Riffhard Could not have said it better Moonie!

Riffhard
November 18th, 2004 08:02 PM
gypsy Me too. The nerve!
November 18th, 2004 09:02 PM
Soldatti Summer Romance, boring and stupid.
November 18th, 2004 09:11 PM
Bloozehound I've had this question on my mind all afternoon, but I couldn't think of one "boring" or "overrated" Stones riff, good Stones is good Stones.

ALSO

you better watch your back Mule, I got my 3y3 on you
[Edited by Bloozehound]
November 18th, 2004 09:59 PM
ResidentMule "You sicken me."
"Me too. The nerve!"

ok, well, ya know, live with it. i'm enough of an asshole to not care what people over the internet think of me. i mean, if you wanna make a point/counter point you may never convince me but I for one was having a good time with that discussion - or you could just quit and be a dick. you know, whatever
November 18th, 2004 10:10 PM
Bloozehound your discussion sux dix
November 18th, 2004 10:15 PM
T&A You Got Me Rockin' - hands down.
November 18th, 2004 10:16 PM
ResidentMule i'm sorry i thought this was a threat about music

oops, my bad. wrong board
November 18th, 2004 10:32 PM
Bloozehound well.....why doncha trot yer ass back over to the Warren Haynes board so you can bitch & whine about the greatness of the 30 minute jam(YEAH!) "unsophisticated" rock songs, jazzfusion and groovy peace soul brother or whatever the fuck

you've been exposed residentmuletroll

govt mule?

gimmeafuckinbreak
Page: 1 2