ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Uses Guitar as Weapon Return to archive
November 17th, 2004 09:07 AM
gimmekeef Need some help...I believe during the Hampton 81 show a fan rushed the stage and Keith whacked him with his guitar.Does anyone know if this was this show and during what song?..Thanks
November 17th, 2004 09:20 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Yes it was and it was during the encore (Satisfaction).
November 17th, 2004 09:25 AM
mac_daddy didnt he swing his guitar at the owner of the marquee club in 1970 or 1971..?

November 17th, 2004 09:55 AM
Gazza so legend has it...during the rehearsals though, not the concert.

The owner Harold Pendleton fired the Stones in 1963. He never rated them. There was always animosity between him and the band - it was a bit of a surprising choice for the Stones to film a TV concert there again 8 years later considering the same guy owned it.

There was a row between Pendleton and the Stones before the show was taped over a disagreement about his wish to have the Marquee's banner displayed prominently on the stage. The band refused to do so and things got a bit heated - Pendleton made some remark along the lines of the Stones "still being bloody rubbish" within earshot of Keith, who swung his guitar at his head missing him by about an inch.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 17th, 2004 10:27 AM
mac_daddy gazza - you are like a walking typing) encyclopedia with this stuff..

so was that 1970 or 1971..? i think i remember reading (in spanish tony's book, i think) that keef might have been a bit under the weather at the time, as well...

November 17th, 2004 10:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
gazza - you are like a walking typing) encyclopedia with this stuff..

so was that 1970 or 1971..?

26th March 1971 to be exact.

Gazza Britannica!
November 17th, 2004 10:48 AM
nankerphelge And I thought the '81 footage in Let's Spend the Night Together was not all Hampton -- the arena shots (including said guitar whack) were Meadowlands I think.
[Edited by nankerphelge]
November 17th, 2004 11:01 AM
Nellcote I think the Keith guitar shot took place during the final song of the Hampton '81 show, Satisfaction, just as Mick wraps himself in a US flag, with the balloons falling.
November 17th, 2004 11:07 AM
gimmekeef Thanks guys...I hope its Hampton because I just got a new DVD of that show in excellent pic and new 24 bit re-mastered stereo sound thats awesome.I'll fast ffd to Satisfaction and hopefully see the Smack!
November 17th, 2004 11:33 AM
SirMuddy I have an mpeg of it...
1981 Keith hit with Guitar.mpeg (1,28 Mb)
If someone want it, just let me know
and I email it to you!
Thanks for the nice memories!
November 17th, 2004 11:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
And I thought the '81 footage in Let's Spend the Night Together was not all Hampton -- the arena shots (including said guitar whack) were Meadowlands I think.
[Edited by nankerphelge]

NONE of that movie comes from Hampton.
The arena footage comes from Meadowlands, NJ (filmed over two of the three nights there - ie 5th and 6th November) and the stadium footage is from Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, Az. on 13th December.

Hampton was 18th December. The final show on the tour was in the same venue on the 19th. Both shows, as were a few others, were taped for radio broadcast and tracks from both shows were used on "Still Life"
[Edited by Gazza]
November 17th, 2004 11:48 AM
mac_daddy the first hampton show was on a channel called ON TV here in soCal. i remember watching it live, many moons ago...

that was before stereo tv, so we had to tune into a local radio station to hear the gig in stereo... either the now-defunct kmet(94.7) or klos (95.5)...

good stuff. but i dont remember keef swingin' his axe at someone... did i miss it..?
November 17th, 2004 11:57 AM
Gazza Oh yeah, that clip has been on TV many times. As far as I recall, its shown on "25 x 5" (accompanied by a bit of commentary by Keith himself)...its definitely shown in "Video Rewind", though.

"He's on my turf, I'm gonna chop the mother down" - KR.
November 17th, 2004 12:06 PM
Nellcote Gazza, the guitar chop, is it from that last Hampton show, during the last number, Satisfaction?
November 17th, 2004 12:07 PM
Gazza its from the 18.12.81 show (they played the 19th too) - ie the one that was televised - and yes, its on "Satisfaction" which was the final song played.
November 17th, 2004 12:09 PM
Nellcote Thanks for setting me straight....
Cheers!
November 17th, 2004 12:09 PM
mac_daddy so i missed it
November 17th, 2004 12:15 PM
Nellcote Mac Daddy; how are ya? If you have VH! Classic, I see the vid of this frequently. The balloons fall, Jagger swings the flag cape, up walks the poor chap who meets his maker, Keef...
November 17th, 2004 12:43 PM
gimmekeef The show I have is the 18th...Keith's Birthday cause you see a sign saying happy 38th (?).....geez so long ago....
November 19th, 2004 08:34 AM
gimmekeef Well its not Hampton, watched the DVD right through and the guitar smack is not there.Wasn't it in a brief part of the tour documentary on 4 Flicks?
November 19th, 2004 09:12 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Mac Daddy; how are ya? If you have VH! Classic, I see the vid of this frequently. The balloons fall, Jagger swings the flag cape, up walks the poor chap who meets his maker, Keef...

hey nellcote! i am just fine. thanks for asking. and how are you..?

i will keep an eye out for it, and a little birdie just offered to send me a source of this infamous clip...

how's bean-town? my eagles are lighting it up! let's hope they can get past temple (this weekend), and then the 'cuse! love to see them win the big east their final year in it. maybe even a bcs bowl, baby!!!!

take care.
November 19th, 2004 10:34 AM
Flairville It's happens on the Hampton 1981 show, which I watch all the time, if you haven't got it you need a copy. The Jointrip remaster in 5.1 is awesome. The guitar moment in question is also on the Four Flicks Documentary disc.
November 19th, 2004 11:39 AM
PolkSalad
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
the first hampton show was on a channel called ON TV here in soCal. i remember watching it live, many moons ago...

that was before stereo tv, so we had to tune into a local radio station to hear the gig in stereo... either the now-defunct kmet(94.7) or klos (95.5)...

good stuff. but i dont remember keef swingin' his axe at someone... did i miss it..?

yeah, ONTV, same in Chicago. a friend's folks had it so we went there and cranked the stereo too. could've been the now-defunct wmet (95.5). I've seen the chop but couldn't tell you where.
November 21st, 2004 02:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Well its not Hampton, watched the DVD right through and the guitar smack is not there.Wasn't it in a brief part of the tour documentary on 4 Flicks?

It IS hampton. Look closer. During "Satisfaction", near the start as the balloons are cascading down. Guy rushes onto the stage from the left, Keith takes guitar off his shoulder, swings it at him and puts it back on again and resumes the song, as Mick looks round at him.
November 22nd, 2004 02:10 PM
gimmekeef Thanks Gazza, I did grab a beer from fridge as I started Satisfaction so must have missed it...