ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Coffee Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 16th, 2004 07:11 AM
egon yes, coffee!! it's THE drink from 0700 till 2100.
any other time is for my little green friends.
November 16th, 2004 07:52 AM
Maxlugar Substitute the word "Coffee" with "George W. Bush" and I'm there.
November 16th, 2004 08:03 AM
Sir Stonesalot Maxy.

That last statement was incredibly gay.

A better statement for a masculine type dude would be something like.....Substitute sultry vixen Eva Longoria for the word Coffee and I'm there.

But for one dude to talk about drinking another dude is just, well, gay.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Hey Nanker, you and TomL wanna go see Mac Friday night? I swear though, either of you try to kiss me and you'll have to have my Chuck Taylors surgically removed from your spleen.
November 16th, 2004 08:53 AM
Maxlugar I yam what I yam...

November 16th, 2004 08:54 AM
nankerphelge Not sure if I can -- where is he playing??

November 16th, 2004 01:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nank...

Mac & The Bump Band are playing at The Mojo Room in Baltimore(google it, driving directions are real easy). You can get tix online from missiontix.com...only $10.00!!!

The place is little. Like I know people who have bigger basements type little. Fire code is 135...but I don't think you can squeeze 100 in there.

It's like having Mac play in your living room....'cept you gotta pay for beer.

Eat before you get there, the food sucks and there really isn't anyplace close that looked decent.
November 16th, 2004 01:50 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

2. Clean your coffee maker out by running white vinegar
through it once a week or so. Run staight water
directly after for two or three runs or until
vinegar smell goes away.

Yikes! Are you sure thats right? I only clean mine about once a year.
November 16th, 2004 02:00 PM
nankerphelge Hmmmmm.....

Baltimore!

Must go to Baltimore....

Seriously, I have to check the schedule, but I will let you know.
November 16th, 2004 02:22 PM
Riffhard OK one more time. Pete's Coffee Major Dickenson's blend! Got it? Get it. Good. Trust me I'm serious when it comes to REAL good coffee. It's a bit pricey,but oh it's worth it. Yes it is! Surly you have your own coffee mill/grinder? I mean you gotta have one of them bastards!

Riffhard
November 16th, 2004 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Hmmmmm.....

Baltimore!

Must go to Baltimore....

Seriously, I have to check the schedule, but I will let you know.

See ya there ...........................

J. Fly ! �
November 16th, 2004 02:39 PM
parmeda For SS & Riffy...(and anyone else, too )

http://www.coffeeuniverse.com/quiz.html

...I scored an 81.
Hey Riff, ever try Kona?

Hey Nank, you should go...and don't listen to SS.
BRING A CAMERA!
November 16th, 2004 02:43 PM
telecaster http://www.konacoffee.com/

Kona coffee from Hawaii is the best

Starbucks blows chunks. It reminds me of the malaria infested swamp-water joey and I had to drink in 'Nam
when we were hunting the VC
November 16th, 2004 03:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot I agree Kona is great stuff. So is Jamaican Blue Mountain. So is Kenyan AAA. So is Indonesian Java.

But it ain't THAT great.

Starbucks coffee is no better than just OK. You pay for S-T-A-R-B-U-C-K-S. Dunkin' Donuts coffee is way better....and cheaper.

Yes, Riffy, I have a grinder. I almost never use it. The only time I use it is when someone gets me whole beans for birthday/xmas.

I buy Maxwell House or Folgers, whichever is on sale. I told ya, to me coffee is coffee.
November 16th, 2004 03:41 PM
Riffhard I'm coo coo for Kona! Beans and buds!

Yeah I hear ya SS when it comes to the hassle of whole beans. Sometimes just throwing some Maxwell House in the trusty ol' electic drip is the easy way out. Yet,lately I've been on this real coffee kick and I'm digging the Major Dickenson's roast from Pete's. Like I said it's rather pricey(about $24.00 per pound) but man when it's cold outside and I'm just chillin' at home a nice cuppa with some good herb and the Stones cranking in the background! Makes for a brilliant little "wake and bake" session!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
November 16th, 2004 03:53 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
.................It reminds me of the malaria infested swamp-water joey and I had to drink in 'Nam
when we were hunting the VC

I STILL see V.C. everywhere I go tele .................and you's ?!?!

Speaking of that " malaria infested swamp-water " that we had to drink ....................

*************IMMEDIATE END TO TRANSMISSION **************
November 16th, 2004 03:57 PM
telecaster Speaking of Kona have you guys had Kava? Wow. Kinda like coffee. Legal high in Hawaii, check this out:

http://www.mauigateway.com/~kava/

"Kava , also known as 'awa in Hawai'i and yaqona in Fiji, is a legal herb with medicinal and mild narcotic properties.

A few cupfuls will give a "high" euphoric state of short duration characterized by tranquility and friendliness.
Kava is a muscle relaxant

Kava is a soporific

Kava is a diuretic

Kava provides relief for all kinds of pain, including headaches and migraines

Kava is a cerebral depressant - which apparently steadies the pulse, lowers body temperature, and counteracts obesity

Kava is slightly stimulating, relieves great fatigue, sharpens mental faculties promotes sociability

Unlike alcohol, Kava causes a deep sleep with no hangover, and it leaves the mind clear.

Kava is legal! "
November 16th, 2004 03:58 PM
Joey
I LIKE Kava ...........................

I Really DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seedless Joe ! �

November 16th, 2004 04:00 PM
Nellcote My mix....
two scoops Cafe Goya Espresso
then two scoops of anything else such as....
Cafe du Monde Chicory
Kona Coffee
Dunkin Cafe Blend
La Vazza Arabica

Black, one sugar.
When you've been black, you can't go back....

BRING IT ON.....
November 16th, 2004 08:42 PM
nankerphelge SS - can't mak it this Friday -- work is in the way.

Next time!
November 16th, 2004 09:12 PM
LadyJane The best jolt is a good cafe con leche...served up at those little Cuban dives in Miami. Damn..strong shit. Drink 3 of those and your teeth could grind through cowhide!

Bet jb can't handle that though? Probably interferes with one of his many diseases.

LJ.
November 16th, 2004 09:34 PM
Bloozehound Kava huh

I've never heard of that before, I'm supposed to be getting married in Hawaii next year, I'll have to keep that in mind if I go
November 18th, 2004 07:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Antioch shop's name spurs big brew-heehaw

A new coffee spot has people in a Lake County town percolating 2 months before it opens for business

By M. Daniel Gibbard, Tribune staff reporter. Freelance reporter Robert Channick contributed to this report
Nov 17, 2004

Tony Liotta hasn't even opened his coffee shop, but already many in Antioch want him to get his you-know-what out of town.

They aren't buying the explanation that the Bad Ass Coffee Co. chain takes its name from the lovable-looking beasts used to haul beans in Hawaii.

"We're not promoting any body part," Liotta, a Lindenhurst resident whose franchise will be the first in the Chicago area, said Tuesday. "It is about the donkeys," which are featured on the company's signs.

But Marion Rush, who is leading a petition drive against the shop, isn't swallowing that argument.

"I'd be upset if someone came up to my child and said `badass,'" Rush said. "I would be upset if my daughter used the word `badass'."

On Monday, the Antioch Village Board agreed, passing a resolution condemning the name and likening it to a sort of moral apocalypse.

"The shop's name is found to be utterly vulgar, to be highly offensive to the ordinary moral sensibilities of this community and to be repugnant to the entire concept of family values and traditional American ideals," the resolution, which passed 5-1, read in part.

However, village officials conceded they are powerless to stop the shop from opening, and Liotta, who estimates his startup and franchise costs at $250,000, plans to be in business in January.

Mike Bilanzich, president of Salt Lake City-based Bad Ass Coffee Co. of Hawaii, did not deny that the name is meant to be tongue-in-cheek--and to draw attention to the brand. The company's slogan is "Coffee with an Attitude."

"Everyone has an opinion about the name, [and] any publicity is good publicity," Bilanzich said. "And at the same time, we have fun with the concept of the little donkeys."

The 15-year-old chain started in Hawaii and is growing quickly, he said, with 45 stores in the United States and Canada and more to come, including in Japan. Clothing featuring the long-eared mascot--as well as risque slogans--also sells briskly, the company says.

Franchise openings elsewhere have run into controversy, Bilanzich said.

"The normal course of things is we experience exactly this kind of uproar, and generally the end result is, `Gee, guys, this is a real word, this isn't something we can do anything about, so we've got to allow them to open up.'

"In every instance it has died down and we've continued on running a successful coffee shop."

That was the case for Nikki Barclay, 37, a Madison, Wis., native who opened a store last March with her husband, Shane, in his Bible-belt hometown of Chattanooga, Tenn.

Opposition to the shop's name generated media coverage and jeopardized a zoning change needed for the sign, but in the end, the City Council approved the zoning.

"It's a really cute concept and it's a really cute donkey," Barclay said. "To me, Hooters is worse. Everyone knows what that means, especially when they put up giant billboards with breasts hanging out everywhere."

In Antioch, an old, relatively conservative town on the Wisconsin line in Lake County, the debate over whether Bad Ass is in bad taste is just heating up.

The town is experiencing a housing boom. Its population in 2000 was less than 9,000, but officials say it may double in three years, with more growth in surrounding Antioch Township.

Much of the development is to the east, away from the center of town, where the hilly Main Street is lined with small, well-kept shops and restaurants. The coffee shop is located in a new shopping center at Illinois Highway 173 and Deep Lake Road, where its neighbors include a Wal-Mart.

Liotta, 45, thinks the controversy may be partly a clash of the old and new.

"I believe there's some uneasiness about the growth," he said. "They've been a small town for a long time.

"When you get the influx of people--they're good people, but they have a different outlook," Liotta said, particularly those coming from Chicago. "I think in five years the face of the town will be different."

At the council meeting Monday, Trustee Dorothy Larson voiced her displeasure.

"I'm really disappointed that this particular name of the company is coming into our village," Larson said. "I would wholeheartedly support a gourmet coffee shop, but I just feel that the name is inappropriate."

Even Bob Caulfield, the trustee who voted against the resolution, said he agreed with it in principle, but disagreed with the wording.

Among residents, however, opinions were more diverse.

"I like coffee, but I'm a Christian and I would never go in a place named like that," said Rosemary Schalk, 59, of Grayslake, who was getting her hair done at Hair Designs Unlimited on Main Street. "We don't need any more language pollution."

Even more adamant was Marge Tedemanson.

"I wouldn't go in there if they had the best coffee in the world, on account of the name," said Tedemanson, 70, of Antioch. "I think it's asinine."

But Theresia Waltrich, 67, of Antioch, disagreed.

"It doesn't bother me at all," said Waltrich, who like Tedemanson was loading groceries into her car at the Wal-Mart parking lot in the same strip mall where the coffee store will open. "I kind of looked forward to having a Starbucks, but I never tried Bad Ass. I think it's OK."

Rev. Gary Curl, pastor of the United Methodist Church, said there was a discussion group on the subject Sunday morning.

"Everyone was pretty negative on it, without exception," he said.

The reaction may be somewhat overblown, considering how many parents allow their kids to play ultraviolent video
November 18th, 2004 09:04 AM
PolkSalad ^^^ you gotta be kidding me?!?! where the hell is Antioch anyway?
November 18th, 2004 09:22 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Sometimes it's wonderfull to tell: "yes! I'm Italian!"
Dear Sir Stonesalot,
I always have a cup of coffe here , it's like -
-ops,sorry , at this moment my girl is just offering another cup, (the third, at 3,00pm) and ---
mhh...
very good-
Come in Italy Sir Stonesalot, and I'll offer the best black coffe !
ciao
Fabio
November 18th, 2004 01:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've had Bad Ass coffee. It's good. And I like the name. But it's overpriced. ANYTHING priced at more than $1.50/lb. is overpriced.

Look, I like all that expensive stuff. It tastes real good. But it's not THAT much better than Maxwell House, or Folgers. My opinion only. I get lots of expensive coffee presents around the holidays. I like it all. Great stuff. But I have no problem going back to the cheap stuff when it's gone. I told you, to me, coffee is coffee.

Fabio....I will definately take you up on that the next time I'm in Italy. When it comes to food and drink, Italians KNOW the deal. I'll let you buy me dinner too!
November 18th, 2004 02:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've had Bad Ass coffee. It's good. And I like the name.

Well, I had never even heard of it until I stumbled across this article on the web. I didn't even find the article amusing. It's kind of scary that people can be so uptight...almost a witch hunting mentality....all loss of prespective. Welcome to the neighborhood. Whew!
November 18th, 2004 02:46 PM
parmeda
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
^^^ you gotta be kidding me?!?! where the hell is Antioch anyway?

Where God lost his shoes.

Be my guest, polk...take a trek up north to search for 'em
November 18th, 2004 02:52 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Of course it has to be in Illinois, eh Pam?

When I was in 4th grade I used to wake up before school
and make instant coffee in a thermos and walk down to the train station and sell it to people getting on the train
(Hinsdale parmy)

I had no idea how to make coffee and didn't even know the difference between instant and regular

I would shovel spoonfulls of coffee into a thermos, turn the tap water on hot and put that in and shake it up

Didn't Mick sell Ice Cream Cones at the train station?

This was pre coffee shop days

God was I an idiot.

November 18th, 2004 02:54 PM
parmeda Thank heavens, you grew up tele!
November 18th, 2004 03:33 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
parmeda wrote:

haha, that's what my Bridgeport raised grandmother used to say about the suburbs. hell, I've got a week off now...
Page: 1 2 3