ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is the best ever version of gimme shelter?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-22-02 07:31 AM
sonicrock really no 69 ????? altamont one ??? nobody ??, well we maybe not talking about the same song .....,?
11-22-02 07:56 AM
Maxlugar Last night I listened to '73, '95 '75 and '72 in a row.

I'll tell you one thing, listening to a bunch of Gimme Shelters in a row is one of the easiest and enjoyable things a person can ever do.

It gets you every time.

MAXY!
11-22-02 09:03 AM
John Wood My vote also goes to Paradiso 95! Best live version I've heard,
11-22-02 09:13 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Back in the early 70s, there was a British publication called 'Story Of Pop', it built into a weekly encyclopedia. The Stones were featured prominentely throughout. In a section that dealt specificaly with Altamont it regards The Gimme Shelter rendition at The Empire Pool 9.9.73 as a chilling version that sums the band, and The Altamont disaster up perfectly,(I am not quoting there.)Is this the version on 'Timeless'73'?

It's the one on the second CD, and the one that circulates on Headed for an Overload, Bedspring Symphony, Nasty Songs, and boots like that. It is THE ONE from '73.

11-22-02 09:19 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Last night I listened to '73, '95 '75 and '72 in a row.

I'll tell you one thing, listening to a bunch of Gimme Shelters in a row is one of the easiest and enjoyable things a person can ever do.

It gets you every time.

MAXY!

I concur, one song in any form that I never tire from...Welp I'm tired time to go to bed.
11-22-02 10:40 AM
Maxlugar Is that an Evil Knevil action figure?

He was so cool. A genuine hero for us kids in the '70's.

I can remember going out and jumping milk crates and garbage cans on my bike in his honor.

What a man.

Did you know he was going to jump from an airplane without a parashute on to a bail of hay? Someone talked him out of that one.

Friggin' great!

[Edited by Maxlugar]
11-22-02 10:42 AM
jb That's Captain Robbie Knievel to you!!!
11-22-02 11:26 AM
F505 Evil Knevel is as dead as a doornail
11-22-02 11:46 AM
Maxlugar What? He didn't his new liver yet?

11-22-02 07:39 PM
Stonesthrow I agree with Padre and FPM. The studio version's music conveys the mood of the lyrics better than any boot does.
11-22-02 07:58 PM
nankerphelge I remember the haybail thing Max!
I was all for it - hell let him try.
He muffed the Snake River Canyon jump because the chute threw as he came off the ramp!

Gotta watch those rocket cycles -- they can get away from ya!

Dumped his sorry ass down the Canyon wall.
Ass over teakettle!

11-23-02 12:27 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

It's the one on the second CD, and the one that circulates on Headed for an Overload, Bedspring Symphony, Nasty Songs, and boots like that. It is THE ONE from '73.

Thanks Nasty! It's been a long time since I last heard 'Bedspring' so I wasn't sure. If that's the case then that gets my vote after the two studio versions.
11-23-02 12:32 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Is that an Evil Knevil action figure?

He was so cool. A genuine hero for us kids in the '70's.

I can remember going out and jumping milk crates and garbage cans on my bike in his honor.

What a man.

Did you know he was going to jump from an airplane without a parashute on to a bail of hay? Someone talked him out of that one.

Friggin' great!.....SNAP! We found a MINI canyon, part of a waterwash, broken arms, broken legs, fractured skulls, we never learned! Kneivel created a global monster.

[Edited by Maxlugar]

Page: 1 2 3