ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is the best ever version of gimme shelter?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-21-02 01:34 PM
lucasd4
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I'm going with Paradiso '95.

For sheer drama and Keith is stunningly on during this one. The ending is pure Rolling Stones.

Josh has a great point with the spine tingling Mick T fills and lead on the '73 version but the rest of the band is so much better on the Paradiso version that its scary.

I think it's one of the few songs I would pick 90's over early 70's.

It's funny you mention this because in my car I have Brussles Affair on one side and Stripped Companion on the other side of a cassette that I've been cranking exclusively for weeks. I've compared the two GS's often.

Nasty,

The version of GS on LA '75 is great indeed. Do you have LA '75? I'll burn ya one if not. Mick comes in the first line like he's trying to crush the crowds brain with his voice.

M!

I agree about Paradiso....I really wish they would've released an entire live album from that show....if Keith consistently played like that nowadays, very few would question the title of greatest rock and roll band in the world
11-21-02 01:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Come on! There ain't no better version than the original studio version on Let it Bleed. Feel the power of this crude version, listen Merry Clayton at his best, the clean piano by Nicky Hopkins, great chorus, percussions, etc.

11-21-02 01:47 PM
Maxlugar "Max....if you know any poor people with great seats to MSG, tell them you know a big spender in Fla. who can fill their Chritmas stockings with $$$$$$$$$$$$$..your friend...Josh$Esq"

Josh, it's gonna be hard to find ANY poor people in this country soon. Jeez...the market is up 200 points right now. Surely the Bush economy is lifting ALL boats.

I have an idea though.

Just for kicks before the MSG show, lets you and me flat out BUY two poor people and make them have a knife fight down by the river. To the death!

I don't care who is opening for the Stones that night. It aint gonna beat this!

You in?

Maxy!
11-21-02 01:47 PM
jb Geraldo...when did Mary have the sex change?
11-21-02 01:49 PM
jb Yes Max...hopefully this market will continue and i won't think anything of spending 8k for 2 tickets....As far as buying 2 poor guys, hopefully Joey will not be one of them, but his absence has me concerned.
By the way Max, notice how I did not post at all under Bowie/Jagger....would not even look at it..that's where we are very similar...I just won;t go there.
[Edited by jb]
11-21-02 01:58 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It's Merry not Mary as it was written in the �Let it Bleed� inner sleeve. She did born on December 25, that's why her dad Dr. Alvin G. Williams Sr named her that way.

So she changed sex LOL!
11-21-02 02:39 PM
Maxlugar "By the way Max, notice how I did not post at all under Bowie/Jagger....would not even look at it..that's where we are very similar...I just won;t go there."

Josh you are above it all.

On the other hand, that post was able to get Dandelion* to post 7 times on a topic for the first time ever.

My word does she get into the Gay issue!

Why is that Joshy? What is it about gayness that gets her going so much?

Maxy!
11-21-02 02:44 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
T&A wrote:

Also, some of the Australia '73 versions are killer - there's one where Charlie can't find the beat for the first minute or so - then, when he does....OH, MY LORD!

Wow, I thought someone was going to forget this one. I REALLY dig this version from Perth (Feb 24, '73). You kind of wonder, "What the hell are they doing?" The only people who know what they ARE doing are Keith and Nicky Hopkins (and Mick J, of course). Then that second verse comes in, Charlie revvs up, and... BOOM! The song EXPLODES!!! Then Taylor comes in on that chorus, complete with wah pedal, and burns the joint to the ground. Keith's guitar on this one really cooks, too - sounds like a chainsaw most of the time.

But I will agree - Brussels (or Wembley, whatever) and Paradiso are damn good. The '69 versions are cool, too. Anyone heard a version from the 1970 tour? It sounds weird, probably because the chord progression is changed in the chorus, I think. But it still sounded like a killer.
11-21-02 04:13 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I think the solo is crap on St. louis 1997, no weaving, ronnie just ain't there

Rik

the sheltering shoe

Yes the solo is rough and minimal (But I think he meant to play it that way) but the driving line and mix are amazing they are really tight. Ronnie just mixes in but I honestly believe it is the best version, at least on my music maker.
Please give it a try again at say about 10-11 oclock on your stereo, and just focus on the guitars. The first few times I heard it, I thought what the hell is this, however, at the is point I never get sick of it. Now the release on the NS album plain sux....
11-21-02 04:14 PM
Scottfree Where would one find the Paradiso version?? I don't believe I have had the pleasure, how the hell did I let that slip through the cracks??
11-21-02 04:21 PM
jb Ask your buddies Rush and Sean, Scotty boy...
11-21-02 04:24 PM
fmk438j
quote:
T&A wrote:
JB:

there are several soundboards from the Australia Feb. 73 shows - Sydney, Perth (two shows) are the best ones.

There was only the one Perth show (24th) then Sydney 26th and 27th. My fave Australian is the 27th. MT gets this wounded-dog howl/whine that is just cool.

My all time is Wembley 9.9.73. This chugs along with such sinister power, it's a masterpiece. My fave '72 is the one on the Unreleased Live Decca Album (is this Phillidelphia 21st?).
11-21-02 04:26 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Where would one find the Paradiso version?? I don't believe I have had the pleasure, how the hell did I let that slip through the cracks??

The best place to find it is on the "Stripped Companion", with the acoustic Tokyo outtakes, several "small club" electric performances including an excellent Rip This Joint, and all of the b-sides to the Voodoo Lounge singles.

11-21-02 04:28 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
fmk438j wrote:

There was only the one Perth show (24th) then Sydney 26th and 27th. My fave Australian is the 27th. MT gets this wounded-dog howl/whine that is just cool.

I've never heard this show. How's the sound? How's Keith? Keith at Perth is just about the best Keith ever.
11-21-02 04:29 PM
T&A well - I'm just going with what it says on my boots - there's a Perth afternoon and a Perth evening according to them....but they could certainly be wrong.
11-21-02 04:41 PM
fmk438j
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I've never heard this show. How's the sound? How's Keith? Keith at Perth is just about the best Keith ever.

It's great. It's not the 'ultra crisp' soundboard sound of perth and Sydney 26th, but it's a better sound because it's not as 'raw' (I struggle with that really raw sound, it doesn't agree with my ears). (i'm not sure if I'm describing these in the right words)
11-21-02 04:49 PM
fmk438j
quote:
T&A wrote:
well - I'm just going with what it says on my boots - there's a Perth afternoon and a Perth evening according to them....but they could certainly be wrong.

Happy Birthday Nicky? nzentgraf says it was only the one.

There's actually proof in the band intros. On the 26th Mick doesn't introduce Bobby Keys, then on the 27th when he does, he says "Forgot him last night".
11-21-02 05:33 PM
Gazza Theres only one Perth 24/2/73 show. When the two soundboards came out on tape first of all in the mid-80's they were circulated as a first and second show from that date but one of them is definitely from Sydney. Check the setlists page on this site for the tracks on the soundboards.

To get to the original question - the original version of "Gimme shelter" on "Let It Bleed" is the greatest studio performance of the Stones ever committed to disc. I won't even accept any argument to the contrary. Only "Jumpin Jack Flash" comes close.

best live version - no contest,IMO - Tokyo 26.2.90. Mick gets so carried away towards the end of it, he tries what is pretty close to 'scat' singing. That entire show is breathtaking, with "Shelter" being one of many high points.
11-21-02 06:13 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

best live version - no contest,IMO - Tokyo 26.2.90. Mick gets so carried away towards the end of it, he tries what is pretty close to 'scat' singing. That entire show is breathtaking, with "Shelter" being one of many high points.

That's the one where he does the really high "weeooweeooweeoo" thingie at the end, right? I was trying to recall this morning whether that was Atlanta or Tokyo. That is a great version.

11-21-02 06:56 PM
Gazza yep..thats the one I'm talkin' about
its even better on the video,too...!!
11-21-02 07:17 PM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
Ask your buddies Rush and Sean, Scotty boy...

Never met the guys... So ur going to diss me because of a different political view JB? I personally think your a good guy, I have read your posts from afar, I just don't agree with your politics.
11-21-02 08:42 PM
Joey The version off Stripped Companion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amsterdam ................Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Clubby

11-21-02 09:11 PM
CousinCocaine Yes, the Paradieso 95 GS and the No Security version, too are really good.

Other great versions are on "Ch.Watts and his fab. RS" from 75 LA.
And one of the hottest - of course with MT - is from 72 on "Jack Daniels on tour". Listen to his solo. These times just don't come again!
The Australian version with Charlie not getting the beat is one of the biggest jokes around. Sorry Charlie, but really . .(although it's getting hot later).
CC
11-21-02 10:14 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Come on! There ain't no better version than the original studio version on Let it Bleed. Feel the power of this crude version, listen Merry Clayton at his best, the clean piano by Nicky Hopkins, great chorus, percussions, etc.

Here,here Voodoo! Original studio version will always have a dynamic that is never reproduced live. Still Bedspring version is good! Is that the same as Brussels Affair version? Mickboy remaster version with Mick's raw, up front vox is good too.
11-21-02 10:25 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
fmk438j wrote:

My all time is Wembley 9.9.73. This chugs along with such sinister power, it's a masterpiece. My fave '72 is the one on the Unreleased Live Decca Album (is this Phillidelphia 21st?).

Back in the early 70s, there was a British publication called 'Story Of Pop', it built into a weekly encyclopedia. The Stones were featured prominentely throughout. In a section that dealt specificaly with Altamont it regards The Gimme Shelter rendition at The Empire Pool 9.9.73 as a chilling version that sums the band, and The Altamont disaster up perfectly,(I am not quoting there.)Is this the version on 'Timeless'73'?
11-21-02 10:36 PM
JaggaRichards Brussels version. just edges Philly '72 IMO.
11-21-02 10:53 PM
Angiegirl Brussels 73 and Paradiso 95, call me boring and repetitive, but...

Oh, and the one by Keef and the Winos from the boot Yap Yap (Timothy White at a Winos rehearsal in NYC in Dec. 92). It's Keef, it's slow and it's Gimme Shelter
11-21-02 11:10 PM
gypsymofo60 I agree with Gazza, and like minded GS fans, and maybe because it's (IMO) THE BEST Stones track ever that I find live versions not so dynamic as the original studio cut,but actually Mick's version in Melbourne 14.10.88 was very good too. I'm sure there is a boot of this gig circulating.
11-22-02 05:24 AM
dealer squealing One of the best versions of Gimme Shelter(that was thw topic) is the Atlantic city 1989 version, little bit faster than now and the guitars were dangerously good!
11-22-02 05:33 AM
Moonisup well never thought of that one!!

Well I stick with my top 3

the guitars on brussels (Rattlesnake release) are haunting and what josh said, to your spine, I always get goosebumps when I hear it!! ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the SHOE
Page: 1 2 3