ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is the best ever version of gimme shelter?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-21-02 10:02 AM
sonicrock from my part never could choose between the altamont 1969 version and the bedspring 1973 what about you guys and girls,,,
11-21-02 10:07 AM
Moonisup 1) Keith's version on the Black Box
2) Brussels affair 1973, it's just fucking nasty
3) Paradiso 1995
11-21-02 10:09 AM
Scottfree St. Louis 97, I have listened to this for 5 years straight. The 72era, was quite incredible harder driving, but they don't weave like they did in 97 ST louis.
11-21-02 10:13 AM
Moonisup I think the solo is crap on St. louis 1997, no weaving, ronnie just ain't there

Rik

the sheltering shoe
11-21-02 10:26 AM
RubyFriday No question-----Paradiso

Lisa incredible,really incredible
11-21-02 10:26 AM
jb Brussels IMHO..MT leads are spine-tingling..
11-21-02 10:43 AM
padre The original studio version. Remastered by Mickboy.
11-21-02 11:00 AM
mandrack original and one from Saint of me-single
11-21-02 11:06 AM
Moonisup the one from saint of me is paradiso
11-21-02 11:22 AM
T&A Grand Funk Railroad
11-21-02 11:23 AM
F505 No doubt Paradiso 1995!!! Great version
11-21-02 11:26 AM
Street Fighting Man Keith Richards & The Expensive Winos - Argentina, 1991
11-21-02 11:45 AM
jb I don't think there is any doubt that it is Brussels...No one should even question this...
[Edited by jb]
11-21-02 12:06 PM
Nasty Habits jb -- Brussels version or Wembley version. I think (I ain't sure) that the Wembley version is what circulates on most "Brussels Affair" singles (and is the version from Bedspring Symphony, yes?) It has the edge over the true Brussels version for concentrated evil and decay.

Obviously, the three greatest versions have been identified efficiently by the Rocks Off! crew -- Studio still best rock and roll recording ever, the version that ends with Mick shouting "Lord Have Mercy!" from '73 is possibly the most horrific six minutes of live rock and roll ever, and the Paradiso recording is Stones at their best in the 90s, without doubt.

A question -- which version is on the '72 tour comp "Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly"? That is a killer version and probably my favorite from '72. I always thought that in '72 they would play it too fast.

Are there ANY good live versions from '75?

11-21-02 12:10 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Paradiso 95!!!
11-21-02 12:26 PM
jb How can you say Paradiso 95? No Mick Taylor and well all due respect to LF, she ain't no Mary Clayton.... This is a conspiracy by fans from the Netherlands.

[Edited by jb]
11-21-02 12:35 PM
Moonisup whahahaahah
indeed a dutch conspiray, you should listen to it!!

you know top 3
11-21-02 12:41 PM
jb Maybe next boot?
11-21-02 12:48 PM
FPM C10
quote:
T&A wrote:
Grand Funk Railroad

Thought you were gonna get away with THAT, did ya?

I vote that T&A be tied up and forced to listen to "The Locomotion" and "We're An American Band" on an endless loop.

The best version, btw, is the original on LIB - and as mentioned above, Mickboy's remaster is THE SHIT. None of the live versions achieve the creepy end-of-the-world atmosphere of the studio version.

By the way, there's an "Adult Contemporary" radio station around here that advertises on TV - they say "Rock and roll WITHOUT the hard edge" while they're playing "GIMME SHELTER" in the background. There's not a trace of irony there either.

That one puzzles me. The edges on "Gimme Shelter" are tungston steel razors.
11-21-02 12:49 PM
Moonisup it's also on a single, I'll send you one as soon I have some cdr's!

Rik
11-21-02 12:55 PM
jb I will send you my MSG tickets if I ever get them!
11-21-02 01:00 PM
T&A a really, really, really good version is Buffalo '75 (Heartbreakers in Buffalo boot) - Ronnie matches MT for intensity on this one.

Also, some of the Australia '73 versions are killer - there's one where Charlie can't find the beat for the first minute or so - then, when he does....OH, MY LORD!

By the by - the couple of versions I've heard on the current tour - PacBell shows - Shelter was among the highlights of the shows. Sizzlin'....
[Edited by T&A]
11-21-02 01:02 PM
jb Which Australian Boots...I only have Brussels which is considered the greatest boot of all...Are these soundboard quality?
11-21-02 01:03 PM
sonicrock no ones seems to like the 1969 versions, i mean live,?? well i love it too the way they played in ny 1975 to answer to someone (charlie and his fabulous boot),but i must say i very love the stones but comparing the 1973 stones to the 1995 stones is an heresy, and they r is not only a mick taylor problem, is the all together thing,alchemy,spirit, call it as you want, to me in 73 it was a machine gun band, now is just the greateast rnr band in the world, with the lack of opponent,and in 1995 it was definitly not their best period, is an opinion, not truth ok, don t fall on me thank you sonicrock
11-21-02 01:04 PM
T&A JB:

there are several soundboards from the Australia Feb. 73 shows - Sydney, Perth (two shows) are the best ones. Setlists are very similar to '72 US tour - they do Little Queenie instead of Bye Bye Johnny...but aside from that - virtually the same. The YCAGWYW from Sydney is outta this world...
11-21-02 01:05 PM
jb Beautifully said sonicrock..comparing 95 to 73 is simply outrageous...
[Edited by jb]
11-21-02 01:06 PM
jb Thanks T&A....will have to ask SirStonealot if he has these...
11-21-02 01:08 PM
Maxlugar I'm going with Paradiso '95.

For sheer drama and Keith is stunningly on during this one. The ending is pure Rolling Stones.

Josh has a great point with the spine tingling Mick T fills and lead on the '73 version but the rest of the band is so much better on the Paradiso version that its scary.

I think it's one of the few songs I would pick 90's over early 70's.

It's funny you mention this because in my car I have Brussles Affair on one side and Stripped Companion on the other side of a cassette that I've been cranking exclusively for weeks. I've compared the two GS's often.

Nasty,

The version of GS on LA '75 is great indeed. Do you have LA '75? I'll burn ya one if not. Mick comes in the first line like he's trying to crush the crowds brain with his voice.

M!
11-21-02 01:08 PM
T&A they have been widely available for many years - you should have no problem getting them
11-21-02 01:13 PM
jb Max....if you know any poor people with great seats to MSG, tell them you know a big spender in Fla. who can fill their Chritmas stockings with $$$$$$$$$$$$$..your friend...Josh$Esq
Page: 1 2 3