ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anybody buy George Harrison's new record? Return to archive
11-19-02 06:45 PM
Poison Dart I just picked it up today it's pretty good with a couple of stand out tracks. It's not his best record by a longshot but
it still beats the hell out of the shit on the radio today.

11-19-02 07:33 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah. I was pleasantly surprised. After hearing a few of the demo clips I expected it to have Jeff Lynne's muddy footprints all over it. But they've done a good job with it. I particularly like "Stuck Inside A Cloud", "P2 Vatican Blues (Last Saturday Night)", "Rising Sun" and the chant at the end of "Brainwashed". Even "Any Road" turned out much better than I expected, and after hearing the clip compared to the accoustic version on the VH1 show I had no hope for that song. It's probably on par with Thirty-Three And One Third, a little worse than Cloud Nine and, of course, All Things Must Pass. But it sounds more 'real' than Cloud Nine, and without the muddy Phil Spector Wall-O-Sound from the original All Things Must Pass.

"Looking For My Life" sounds like it could be a Stones mid-tempo number.

"Stuck Inside A Cloud" - I dunno, It's a damn good song, and something makes me just want to cry every time I hear the line "Never been so crazy, but I've always felt so sure, I wish I had the answer to give, but I don't even have the cure..."

It's nowhere near as preachy as his 70s albums, nowhere near as overproduced as Cloud Nine... I think it's a good buy.

As you said, Poison Dart, certainly better than 99% of the crap on the radio today.

I still wish he'd called it "Portrait Of A Leg End" (get it?) or "Your Planet Is Doomed, Vol. 1".

-tSYX --- Wish you'd brainwash us too...
11-19-02 07:51 PM
Martha Thanks for your mini review Savage and Young..I plan to pick it up in the near future. Heard a lot about how George left very specific instructions as to what he wanted and didn't want done in post production for Dhani and Jeff .

Obviously, he wanted to preserve his vision and musical voice for this last effort and perhaps keep Jeff's thumbprint from overshadowing or subsuming his original intent. Sounds like that was accomplished.

By the way, the sound of drumming fingers on a table outdoes that shit they play on the radio anymore!
11-19-02 08:56 PM
reid I got the George Harrison record today and I really like it, but then again, George was always my favorite Beatle and I like Jeff Lynne's production as well. This kinda stuff usually turns me off, but anything that sounds like the Traveling Wilburys is great in my book. Has anyone heard Zoom, Jeff Lynne's recent solo album (under ELO). I really love that album. But then again, I also completely understand why some hate everything that Jeff Lynne produces- it's all about personal taste.
11-19-02 09:01 PM
full moon Elo is very good, and Zoom is a wonderful album...
11-19-02 09:29 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
full moon wrote:
Elo is very good, and Zoom is a wonderful album...

I, too, agree that Zoom is a great album. I had tickets (still do) for their Toronto date. The show, of course, was doomed from the start...the tour was cancelled, and the Toronto date was...September 11th, 2001.
11-19-02 09:32 PM
full moon Moment In Paradise............
11-20-02 05:49 AM
corgi37 Buy harrison's new cd? Mmm, i'd rather have my teeth pulled out, without gas, have them rammed down the eye of my cock, without gas, and sucked up through my guts, reverse style. All without gas. As for the Beatles, 2 down, 2 to go. Or do i include Stu Sutcliffe? Either way, Ringo has gotta go!
11-20-02 11:30 AM
T&A Thanks for the reviews - it's on my to-buy list. When the news broke shortly after George's death that he had an album in the can, weren't there reports of something like 20 finished songs? Methinks there is yet another posthumous album of his lurking for later release...

11-20-02 12:50 PM
Larry Dallas Why does Jeff Lynne always put out that boring old drum sound? It takes the life away from all of his recent projects. Hell, he made the Beatles sound like Tom Petty and Heartbreakers. Overall, though, I enjoyed George's final effort. I'm not a Beatles fan, but I love George's overall work. It's a shame he's gone, but this is a fitting final gift from him. Plus, it was only $8.99 at Target.
11-20-02 12:52 PM
jb Thanks Corgi!!!!
11-20-02 12:54 PM
Moonisup I won't buy that,this could be something for the Harrisonboard, if it exists
11-20-02 01:17 PM
sasca I�m glad to hear most liked it. I plan to buy it when I have the money.
11-20-02 01:46 PM
RubyFriday Harrison is (was) boring since All Things....
11-20-02 01:51 PM
jb Thank You RubyFriday
11-21-02 04:53 PM
Street Fighting Man I'm not much for post-mortem albums, but I always did like the bloody Beatles, and by extension George Harrison. The philosophies Harrison gravitated to were a bit out there, but God created all of us with a free will to choose what we believe + trust in for our eternal destiny.
11-22-02 01:35 PM
jb SFM..we like you...but please keep certain things private..