ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: bestcover Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-16-02 06:39 PM
sympathyporeldiablo What's the ultimate compliment a band can receive? To have other, more mediocre bands cover their songs!! Although I have to say my personal favorite is Jane's Addiction's "sympathy." Kick ass, vocally and otherwise.

Any takers on this thread?
11-16-02 06:44 PM
bigtongue maybe i'm just a fan of chick rock, but the sunday's do a wicked Wild Horses, in the "new twist on an old fave" realm.
11-16-02 06:47 PM
sasca Bryan Ferry's cover of 'Sympathy' is excellent.
11-16-02 06:50 PM
flashinthejack if you want to hear a really different and awesome cover, check out wild horses by this a cappella band called Off Beat (or something like that). I found the mp3 on Kazaa.
f***in' amazing!
11-16-02 06:52 PM
stonedinaustralia for sheer bizzarenees it's hard to go past bob's recent attept at "brown sugar"

as i've said before i usually like interpretations by female vocalists - guys doing mick's stuff always sounds a little redundant - although otis doing "satisfaction" was great

11-16-02 06:56 PM
mandrack I like many,
but one of my favourite Guns'n'roses-JJF-acoustic
11-16-02 06:58 PM
bigtongue i'm with the man down under - otis does a roarin' satisfaction.

just downloaded the wild horses cover (off THE beat, btw). baby got pipes!! the singer is kickin the shitcan. and what's up with all the other voices? i'm blown away - this is totally out there.
11-16-02 07:02 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
bigtongue wrote:
just downloaded the wild horses cover (off THE beat, btw).

what's the link for that??

tia

sia
11-16-02 07:09 PM
bigtongue search on kazaa for off the beat wild horses. the user name with the file is rigel726
11-16-02 07:12 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx
11-16-02 07:13 PM
flashinthejack that's right my large-tongued amigo. took me a listen to get past the over-enunciated "gin-gin" background-y stuff but when that shizzy kicks in, it's all sweet from there. i bet the singer is hot.
11-16-02 07:32 PM
bigtongue not sure what off the beat is exactly... searched google and found this website http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~otb/

anyone heard of this before? looks like a bunch of kids. punk singers.

11-18-02 03:44 PM
keithalive! 1. Gn'R JJF is, in fact, a gas.
2. What's an Otis?
3. Oddly enough, this Off the Beat thing is something I know quite a bit about, though I never thought my Stones fetish would ever cross with my 'mixed' collegiate a cappella fascination.

So, OTB is a group of undergraduates at the University of Pennsylvania who have developed a cult following of sorts over the last 10+ years. Essentially, they deconstruct contempo-alternative/progressive rock/pop/r&b songs and reproduce them as a cappella (that is, all voices, without instrumentation) in an extremely complicated and often brilliant way. We're talking 12-part arrangements, tie-ins and references to other songs, etc. They record CD's annually, which invariably win awards from whatever the governing authority for collegiate singer-types is. Sounds monumentally dorky, but they do a lot of great, great bands (hoobastank, the offspring, tori amos, D. matthews, Kravitz of Lenny and yes, the damn Sunday's). Plus the production quality on these albums is amazing (they're a little effects-drunk, but can you blame them?).

Why do I know this? Because I am monumentally dorky as well (I conducted a group at another Pennsyvlania university for 5 years). Have to say though, that the Stones/OTB connection is tenuous--if the Sunday's hadn't done it, I doubt we'd be having this convo right now. Maybe they should beef up on their classic rock chops a bit (though straight-up guitar rock is very difficult to do a cappella).

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I totally recommend checking these people out. Forget about the fact that they are Ivy League dorks, and focus on all the tight clothing they wear on their website (I, on the other hand, should avoid tight clothing in all its forms)!

-ka!
11-18-02 10:17 PM
MrJimmy Tori Amos butchered ANGIE and David Bowie almost Killed SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER. Ever hear the Hellacopters do Gimme Shelter? That is a must.
11-18-02 10:22 PM
tumblingdice Loved Ike and Tina covering Under my thumb and someone ( I forget who, I would have to dig out the album) covering Dead Flowers in a slower bluesy way that was great to drink and sing along to.
11-18-02 10:29 PM
Pants Make the Man Didn't Grand Funk Railroad do a cover of "Gimme Shelter"? I'm just not quite sure how good it was...my memories of it are lost in a marijuana haze.
11-21-02 10:13 AM
micknuggets99 It duznt make sense that someone would cover the stones without instruments. Off Beat?? Damn right.
Covering the stones without using instruments is like punching yourself in the face with someone else's shoe, except with a little less blood and alot less soul (HAHAHAH double entendre soul/sole (of a shoe)!!!!)

I listened to this Off Beat "Wild Horses" thing on line, and considering there are no instruments, it actually doesn't sound like a bunch of morons. When I searched for the song on mp3.com, there was nothing there, but on kazaa there was like 200 other songs that they have done.

The best one is Dancing Queen.

MN
11-21-02 12:58 PM
jb Coutry artists did an album of covers a few years ago, and surprisingly, very good...was on TNN....
11-21-02 03:32 PM
shakedhandswithkeith Wild Horses from JEWEL (acoustic piano version) thats`s pretty cool. you will find it by kazaa. Try out and give me a feedback, please

11-21-02 04:16 PM
bigtongue I know I'm gettin slightly off topic with this a cappella fascination but my socks are totally knocked off by this college singing group (band?).

Like micknuggets, i downloaded a whole bunch of off the beat tunes from kazaa. my favorite was most definitely the black crowes tune she talks to angels. stays totally faithful to the original while adding dimensions that chris robinson and the gang didn't even dream of. there's layers in this one, i mean real layers. and the singer dude's got a smooth voice. you just know that this guy is the big man on campus.

There were a few others that were also awesome - i could've sworn i heard under the bridge in the backgrounds a few times. that's a neat trick.

Keithalive - thanks for the skinny on that shizz. no surprise that they're popular. i just can't believe i never heard of them before. i'd love to see them live - do you know if they tour?
11-21-02 04:50 PM
micknuggets99 Tina and Ike sounded pretty pissed off in their cover. Those crazy bastards, what can you do!?

Yo, Jewel's cover of Wild Horses is pretty cool, if you're tryin to get laid. Two rules in life:
1: Don't touch fire.
2: Chicks love Jewel.

I was lookin at Kazaa at the Jewel cover of Wild Horses, and this same freakin band Off the beat keeps coming up. They did Jewel covers too. A bunch of them. Why can't these people do their own songs? It doesn't surprise me that they would choose something so kick-ass like the stones to cover, because they obviously need something so kick-ass to make up for the fact that they dont write any of their own stuff.

Pass dat joint!

Nuggy
11-21-02 04:55 PM
beltorama Um, you guys are weird.

Stones concert at Meadowlands was unreal. I miss them already.

I never though Keith would have such a small Keith Jr, but I saw it and it was weird and wrinkled.

Just kidding Keithy. I love you.
11-21-02 04:59 PM
[email protected] HA!
11-21-02 05:03 PM
micknuggets99 I wish I had been at the MEadowlands show.
I heard they rocked. That show may have been the only reason to move to the east coast. Arizona is the best state in the nation.

Go Wildcats.

Anyways, the stones do the best cover of their own stuff. No one else can even touch them with a 20 foot pole. Someone else covering the stones is like a midget trying to pull a vince carter slam time big one vs the mavericks three weeks from now. Even the tallest midget in the world couldn't do that.

MN

11-21-02 05:09 PM
earlydrinker Covers covers covers.....
I did search covers under Stones on traphic (a swedish music exchange program here in sweden) and found many well songs. I have search for OFF BEAt, but the band is called OFF THE BEAT and I hear how no music is use. All people with lacking instruments.
Very good though.
They are have songs in other groups also. Very good of Meatlofe and one too of Fuel In My Hands Hemmorage.

I have never see them live. Concerts in Sweden is not this year.

A
11-21-02 05:15 PM
beltorama Off the beat is amazign.
they use a drum I think, but no guitars or anything.

Check out "I will love again". This girl is going to be famous.
I think I saw them once opening up for a band on the OZZFEST tour. Pretty weird at first as they weren't loud enough to really hear, but then you could hear the solo and they were GOOD>

Anyone know Keith's number?
11-21-02 05:22 PM
Moonisup Brown sugar - little Richard
Satisfaction - Otis
JJF - Johnny winter
It's all over now, not really stones but hey! by johnny winter
11-21-02 05:37 PM
Tom IORR by Twisted Sister
SFTD by Guns & Roses
11-21-02 06:17 PM
Nasty Habits The Screws -- The Storm

New Bomb Turks -- Summer Romance

11-21-02 07:16 PM
Child of the Moon Well, I have to say that the Flying Burrito Bros.' version of Wild Horses is a classic - not as great as the original, but damn close. I heard a local group in Idaho do a version of Hand of Fate that rocked like no one's business. And I must say (not to sound TOO conceited) that I do a pretty nice take on Zip Mouth Angel.
Page: 1 2