ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: San Diego!!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-15-02 03:05 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What a fucking GREAT show it was!

This is the setlist posted live as the show was, at Shidoooooooooooooooooooooooooobee

Waterpup calling Joe Ch�vez!

Confirmed Set list:

01.Street Fighting Man
02.It's Only Rock And Roll
03.If You Can't Rock Me
04.Don't Stop
05.Bitch
06.Love In Vain
07.Let It Bleed
08.Monkey Man
09.Midnight Rambler
10.Tumbling Dice
Band Introductions
11.Slipping Away
12.Happy
13.Start Me Up
14.You Got Me Rocking
15.Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16.Honky Tonk Women w/Sheryl Crow
17.(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
B-Stage
18.Neighbors
19.Little Red Rooster
20.Brown Sugar
21.Jumping Jack Flash

I'm not sure if the show ended at the b-stage with such a great 4 songs, but anyway I wish I was there

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
11-15-02 04:45 AM
stoneslib It *was* a great show. My first show with Love in Vain and Rooster. Plus abso-primo seats on the B stage rail dead center in front of Mick's mic. Here is one image from the digital cam.

[Edited by stoneslib]
11-15-02 04:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wath a fucking great pic!!!! As the others!
11-15-02 05:54 AM
luxury1 That is a great fucking shot!!--I want it as my avatar--can Voodoo help me with that? I am computer illiterate! Contact me Voo--if you get a chance, to let me know how to do it. Many thanks in advance!
11-16-02 12:18 AM
stoneslib Well, the lab screwed up and didn't do my hi-res CD from the negs on time. Here are some temporary images I scanned at home from their so-so 4x6 prints.

More soon.
11-16-02 03:41 AM
beer Damn!! Those are some GREAT pics! Looks like you guys were as close as you can possibly get.

About Ronnies slide guitar: To me it looks exactly like the one Keith played in '69 to '71. Which was an Ampeg Dan Armstrong, right? A couple weeks ago I saw it from kinda far away. Others said it's a Zematis? Does anyone know for sure what it is?
[Edited by beer]
11-16-02 01:10 PM
Dan The one on the bottom would make a great cover shot for whenever the CDs surface.
11-16-02 02:40 PM
MrJimmy cds are already out
11-16-02 02:56 PM
Dan
quote:
MrJimmy wrote:
cds are already out

Glad to hear someone else got it.
Any idea on mics/deck/recording location?
Mine was recorded from L4B row 3 seat 9 with a PCM1 (DAT) and Sonic Studios mics. Went off without a hitch. Havent had a chance to get it transferred yet though.
11-16-02 04:20 PM
stoneslib I love that crouching Keith, too. Sadly, he got slightly out of focus when he crouched. Here's a detail from a sharper one just back from the lab.

More soon.

11-16-02 05:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl GREAT PIX STONESLIB!!

You can't always hear what you want
By George Varga
POP MUSIC CRITIC

November 16, 2002

K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune
Could this be the last time? Should it be? For at least the past decade, those questions have provided fascinating subtext to every tour by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and the fabled musical group they lead.

Could this be the last time? Should it be?

For at least the past decade, those questions have provided fascinating subtext to every tour by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and the fabled musical group they lead.

These issues are more timely than ever as the Rolling Stones � "the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" � celebrates its 40th anniversary with a new, year-long tour that included a sonically challenged show Thursday night at the San Diego Sports Arena.

After all, drummer Charlie Watts is 61, Mick Jagger 59, and Keith Richards 58, while guitarist Ron Wood (who joined in 1976) is the junior member at 55. That's almost ancient for a band whose image and best-known songs are synonymous with youthful rebellion (the show-opening 1968 anthem "Street Fighting Man"), sexual tension (1965's "Satisfaction," one of Thursday's highlights) and the sense of defiance and danger embodied by the group's ethos of mayhem, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

So the multimillion-dollar question now for Jagger, Richards and company is: Is time still on their side? Or is it, as the Stones sang in 1974, that time waits for no one � not even a band that has grossed a clock-stopping $1.5 billion since 1989 alone?

By turns impassioned and ragged, lively and lethargic, the aurally muddled Sports Arena concert supported both points of view. The band coasted on automatic-pilot one moment, ignited the next, then coasted and ignited again, until finishing in high-gear with a careening encore of "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

The repertoire, which included such rarely aired gems as "Let It Bleed," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" and "Neighbors," was generally inspired. The sloppy delivery and cluttered sound that marred many selections was anything but, and the musical tension and release of the Stones' best work was often lost in the din.

Jagger, still lean and wiry, strutted and preened in trademark style, and acted frisky when opening act Sheryl Crow joined him for a duet on "Honky Tonk Women." But he seemed notably less energetic than at the Stones' rain-soaked 1998 rave-up at Qualcomm Stadium.

Guitarist Richards got down more than up, staying low to the stage as if engaged in a knee-buckling battle with gravity. He also sang two of the most earthy and satisfying tunes of the night, "Slipping Away" and "Happy" (the latter of which soared after a false start by Richards and Wood).

The self-effacing Watts � the only original Stone on stage whose hair doesn't take on a darker hue with each new tour � was his usual, no-nonsense self despite uncharacteristically rushing some of his drum fills.

The band's senior member, Watts acted his age and seemed all the more dignified for doing so. Frontman Jagger, conversely, can't age gracefully, at least not so long as he is the visual focal point for a band whose most potent songs still defy (or at least deny) time.

What is sadly undeniable, though, is just how wretched the sound was for the majority of the two-hour, 21-song concert, the band's first at the Sports Arena since 1972. With tickets for the show, which sold out in just 25 minutes back in May, costing up to $303 each (plus service charges), the inferior audio quality was inexcusable.

It was so bad that not only were most of Richards' lead guitar lines hard to discern, but so were many of Jagger's spoken introductions. The faster the tempo, the louder the song and the more musicians on stage, the worse it sounded (rock-solid bassist Darryl Jones and keyboardist Chuck Leavell performed throughout, while three backing singers and a four-man horn section appeared intermittently).

So what might have been a charged opening salvo � "Street Fighting Man," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "If You Can't Rock Me," "Don't Stop" (the sole new song) and the brassy "Bitch" � was instead a jumbled mess.

Things improved briefly with the predominantly acoustic "Love in Vain" and "Let It Bleed." But then came a swift return to audio hell with the subsequent "Monkey Man," "Midnight Rambler" and most of the songs that followed � with the notable exception of "Neighbors," "Little Red Rooster" and "Brown Sugar," which were performed near the end of the night on the small satellite stage at the rear of the arena.

One reason for this sonic mess was the Stones' late arrival, which resulted in the band taking the stage without benefit of a sound check.

Never mind that the group grossed about $2.1 million for Thursday's 13,000-capacity show (roughly the same as for its 1994 stadium concert here, which drew nearly 52,000 people). This audio sludge-fest would have been insulting at any price, place or time.

11-16-02 06:02 PM
Dan Sound was nice and loud where I was.
11-16-02 07:53 PM
stoneslib The pick of the remaining litter...

I hope to bump into some accompanying Sports Arena audio out there soon.
[Edited by stoneslib]
11-17-02 12:41 PM
padre My God, those are some awesome photos! Keith being a bit out of focus on one of those don't mean a thing. It rocks! Good job, mate!!
11-17-02 12:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot Can you burn those onto a disc and send them to me?

Excellent photos. Top notch! Really fantastic.
11-17-02 02:29 PM
stoneslib Thank you all again. It was my total thrill to be there in B stage position A-1 and capture some memories for the cause.

Try right-clicking on the pics and then "Save Picture As" to download.

11-17-02 02:34 PM
John Wood Fuck YES those are amazing photo's please post more!!!!!
11-17-02 03:57 PM
Moonisup oh yeah oh yeah

Baby I am ready to GOOOOOOOOOOo

yeah stoneslib
great pics, one of those is my wallpaper now
hail hail stoneslib the next kevin mazur

the happy wooden shoe
11-17-02 08:58 PM
stoneslib Ron centerstage at the end of the B set (from disposable cam). Plus another Keith closeup.

11-18-02 08:07 AM
peterdv wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
what a great job !!! bloody great pics....

i'm stunned , this is indeed just f...brilliant stuff:-))))

now getting the boot so i can use these lovely pics :-) (if i may ofcourse)

cu
peter
11-18-02 11:38 AM
steel driving hammer I thought you weren't supposed to take cameras inside.
11-18-02 12:59 PM
stoneslib It would be an honor to see some of this work end up on a Sports Arena "audio product."
11-18-02 02:29 PM
riffhard64 best Licks pics i have seen!...wow
11-19-02 11:18 PM
stoneslib Digging a little deeper...

That's all folks.

[Edited by stoneslib]
11-20-02 12:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
stoneslib wrote:
That's all folks.

Sniff... sniff... those were GREAT pix, we need more!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
11-20-02 10:39 PM
Martha Absolutely BRILLIANT..I especially LOVE the close-ups of Keef.

Hail to you my photo taking friend! Thanks for sharing them with those of us who are starved for more live shows..it staves off the hunger.... just a bit.

Excellent.
11-20-02 11:07 PM
parmeda Stoneslib...
Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Thank you to EVERYONE that has captured and shared some very good footage!!!

That's it...my cameras are coming with me in January.
Get ready Voo...I'll be sending you a ton!

11-20-02 11:20 PM
stoneslib Thanks again. Yes, I'm bowing out of posting the San Diego take. Maybe my 2003 shows will yield something, image-wise.

You folks are soooooo kind!

11-21-02 12:45 PM
Monkey Woman That was great, Stoneslib! Your pictures enlightened my week, especially the first with Mick on harp and the one with Ron holding his guitar high.
Thanks one million times again!
11-21-02 09:20 PM
CousinCocaine I already saw them on IORR. Those photos are great and the one close-up from Keith is one of the best ever !! I'd love to have a copy from that, it's so good ! And Keith looks great with that black shirt. Thanx a lot !
Hans (CC)
Page: 1 2