ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Rooooostah is back!
© 2005 Roostah!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones guitar effects pedals Return to archive
November 20th, 2005 03:34 PM
James Burton Do any of you guys know what effects pedals were used by the Stones on Some Girls? The flange effect is lush on 'Shattered' and 'Beast' for example and as a guitar player, I'd really like to know what the guys were using during this period. I want to get a sound like that to use on my own recordings. The same effect sound can be heard on any boot from 1981/82 and 'Still Life'.

Pretty vague question I know, but if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
I've tried several different pedals out, but none seem to come close to the sound on the albums. Probably some ultra-rare and ultra-expensive vintage gear that can't be obtained anymore, but who knows.
November 20th, 2005 03:43 PM
Taptrick
This has been asked before. Somebody had the exact answer. It will show sooner or later.

November 20th, 2005 03:46 PM
scratched MXR Phaser. Not sure of the exact details though. Someone will know...
November 20th, 2005 04:16 PM
CraigP The origional MXR Phase 100 was used all throughout Some Girls and the tour following. A couple of years ago I bought the re-issued version (MXR now owned my Dunlop) and it wasn't as sloshy as the origional so I returned it. I bought the Phase 90 and kept it which was a mistake (it adds minor distortion and has only one dial as opposed to two)... All in all I want to get my hands on an origional maybe off of Ebay. http://photos.imageevent.com/olivias/005/websize/3%20063.jpg
[Edited by CraigP]
November 20th, 2005 04:56 PM
keithriffhard the EVH Signature MXR Phase 90 is an amazing pedal, I recommend that for metal style phasing. Ronnie uses a Crybaby for like "Heartbreaker", "Out of Control", and other stuff. Keith probably doesn't even use pedals
November 20th, 2005 05:42 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
keithriffhard wrote:
[...] Keith probably doesn't even use pedals

Keith used a lot of Delay. I don't know which pedals our hero has been using, but I'm pretty sure he used some sort of Chorus on Let it Loose.
November 20th, 2005 10:14 PM
tomk For the phase effect, you want the MXR Phase 100
with the script lettering, which would date it from
the mid-70s to the early 80s. You can still get them on E-bay
or in stores that sell used effects, but they go for a
fortune these days. I had one, but it was stolen. Figures.
Forget the Phase 90. IF you're gonna do it right, you might
as well do it right. The old MXR boxes tend to be a little noisy, but that's part of their charm. Keith also used
an MXR analogue delay for the rockabilly effect on the '81 tour. Ronnie used the same on the '78 tour for Love In Vain.
They're these big green boxes. Wonderful effect.
Also, Pete Townshend used the MXR DynaComp for solos
on late 70s-early 80s Who tours.
November 21st, 2005 03:37 AM
James Burton Guys, thanks for the brilliant information, this is exactly what I was after. So the message is to avoid the MXR dunlop reissues, right? There seems to be loads of these available on Ebay and only one original late '70's at the mo. Do the reissues just not cut it at all??

Also, how is the 'click-clack' sound achieved on tracks like 'Little T&A' and several of the out-takes from the Some Girls sessions? Is there a particular delay pedal used, or are Keith and Ron just picking like fuck!?!?

Thanks again for the info.
November 21st, 2005 04:52 AM
corgi37 Its not exactly for the purists, but for money saving, and also heaps of features, i'd recommend checking out a Zoom multi FX pedal. There are quite a few. I have a Modulator. I think its a 505. Had it for years. Bought it on one of my trips to Hong Kong. Some very clean, very useful FX, as well as combination FX. Chorus, delay, wah, flanger, phaser. Tweaking it a bit, i get a very close resemblance to the Let it Loose riff.

I use my Boss MT-2 in front of it on a chain. Combining the two and playing through a clean channel, i get some awesome sounds. There is fantastic "jet" effect that can literally knock your socks off. I used to have a DD3 delay and a cry baby, but i didnt find them much use for what i want. Though i regret selling the delay. These multi FX pedals are not really liked by snobby musos, but i dont think you can beat them. For value and ease of use. I'd say they are more for studio/demo recording than live playing. But, as an example for what sound you can achieve, i can get a spot on "Fingerprint File" sound.

Except of course, i am a shitty player.
November 21st, 2005 06:24 AM
Jair I have a friend, prof musician, who says pedal its not cool, whatever the type you use.

He told last Saturday, btw, as we are listening Main Offender, that Keith Richards rarely uses pedal, and because of that sounds so rough...true?

November 21st, 2005 08:19 AM
Ramrod Pedals have their own lo-fi sound, as opposed to the more high end effects achieved with either rack mounted gear or what can be produced out of a laptop using modern plugin software. Pedals are rougher but rough is better for a lot of applications. Pedals are not somehow inherently bad. Jimi Hendrix used lots of pedals - wah wahs, a distortion called a fuzz face, lots of things including some that were made especially for him by a guy who from memory was Roger Meyer. It depends on what sonics you want for the music.

For the Stones Keith used an MXR delay pedal on things like 'Little T and A', an occasional wah such as for the 'Heartbreaker' rhythm track, maybe the Gibson or a Vox fuzz box for 'Satisfaction' and 'Think' and to me on 'Let it Loose'it sounds like he is using the amp chorus sound on one of those early Roland solid state combos or the like. And of course the amp tremolo for things like 'Gimme Shelter'.
November 21st, 2005 11:15 AM
voodoopug I think some pedals are good, but I try not to use many when I play live. Other than a tuner, I tend to only use a Boss EQ pedal and an Ibanez Tube Screamer, the fender tube amps can really handle most type of tones you are looking for.
November 21st, 2005 11:22 AM
star star what did mick taylor use on stage? i know he used a bit of wah here and there, eg midnight rambler and later doo doo doo and ive heard a mean gimme shelter with it but did he use delay/fuzz boxes blah blah?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)