ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Rooooostah is back!
© 2005 Roostah!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GOP won’t give honor to Springsteen (NSC) Return to archive
November 19th, 2005 11:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels GOP won’t give honor to Springsteen
By DONNA DE LA CRUZ
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Bruce Springsteen famously was “born in the USA,” but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.

An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, “Born to Run.”

No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. “Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent,” he said.

Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Lautenberg said he couldn't understand why anyone would object to the resolution.

“Even if the Republicans don't like (Springsteen's) tunes, I would hope they appreciated his contributions to American culture,” Lautenberg said.

Springsteen endorsed Kerry last year and made campaign appearances that drew huge crowds who came to hear music described in the resolution as “a cultural milestone that has touched the lives of millions of people.”
November 19th, 2005 11:49 PM
sirmoonie Bruce Sprinsteen has always hated America.
November 19th, 2005 11:54 PM
Poplar
good thing we're considering something like this with all that's wrong at the moment.
November 20th, 2005 01:47 AM
the good
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Bruce Sprinsteen has always hated America.

Your right, sirmoonie.
November 20th, 2005 04:44 AM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Bruce Sprinsteen has always hated America.

He hates New Jersey!
November 20th, 2005 09:43 AM
sirmoonie Springsteen is part of the War on Christmas currently being waged across America's malls.
November 20th, 2005 12:41 PM
GimmeExile Bruce Springsteen is America.
November 20th, 2005 04:33 PM
Ronnie Richards Not being 'honored' by these people should be the real 'honor' for Bruce.
[Edited by Ronnie Richards]
November 20th, 2005 06:24 PM
glencar Was this before or after that fiasco in the House about whether or not to withdraw from Iraq?
November 21st, 2005 02:05 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
GOP won’t give honor to Springsteen
By DONNA DE LA CRUZ
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Bruce Springsteen famously was “born in the USA,” but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.

An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, “Born to Run.”

No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. “Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent,” he said.

Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Lautenberg said he couldn't understand why anyone would object to the resolution.

“Even if the Republicans don't like (Springsteen's) tunes, I would hope they appreciated his contributions to American culture,” Lautenberg said.

Springsteen endorsed Kerry last year and made campaign appearances that drew huge crowds who came to hear music described in the resolution as “a cultural milestone that has touched the lives of millions of people.”

As someone who lives in New Jersey & thinks Bruce is good (not great) I am glad to see the GOP shoot this thing down. "Frank Lousenberg" & Jon "The next scumbag governor of the state of New Jersey" Corzine are simply doing this as an attempt to appear hip to the New Jersey voters down the shore.

In America, Bruce has the right to say whatever he wants (Even if it has to do with bashing America) & the GOP has the right to choose whether or not honor him. Bruce does nothing but trash the GOP anymore. Why in the hell should they honor him. Thanks but I think we have bigger problems to deal with...
November 21st, 2005 02:10 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Not being 'honored' by these people should be the real 'honor' for Bruce.
[Edited by Ronnie Richards]

POST OF THE DAY
November 21st, 2005 03:33 PM
texile god bless bruce.
November 21st, 2005 03:45 PM
monkey_man
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
In America, Bruce has the right to say whatever he wants (Even if it has to do with bashing America) . . . Bruce does nothing but trash the GOP anymore.

I'm confused is he bashing America or bashing the GOP?
November 21st, 2005 04:27 PM
gimmekeef I've always figured that GOP is missing one more O in the middle......
November 21st, 2005 04:30 PM
FPM C10
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

I'm confused is he bashing America or bashing the GOP?

Is there a difference? They're the only TRUE Americans.

I saw a poll yesterday - 60% of Americans are now UN-American!
November 21st, 2005 04:36 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I saw a poll yesterday - 60% of Americans are now UN-American!

November 21st, 2005 07:28 PM
glencar That's pretty despicable Joey!
November 22nd, 2005 03:36 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's pretty despicable Joey!

November 22nd, 2005 04:05 PM
charlotte The Birth of the Boss
Looking back at Bruce Springsteen's masterpiece.

By David Gates
Newsweek

Nov. 28, 2005 issue - It's been 30 years since Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" transformed him from a critics' darling in danger of losing his record deal to ... Bruce. No such milestone should go unmarketed, and Columbia Records' "Born to Run: 30th Anniversary Edition," has gone the extra mile. This box includes not only the obligatory digitally remastered CD but a pair of DVDs: a typical high-energy concert in London, shortly after the record was finished, and an absorbing, if hagiographic, documentary, "Wings for Wheels: The Making of 'Born to Run'."

Neither the CD nor the concert holds many surprises. But that documentary is well worth a couple of hours of anybody's time. Skeptics will find it a case study in overthinking, which produced the record's overwrought mood; fans will see it as the meticulous making of a masterpiece. You get to hear individual tracks building up to the full band sound, jettisoned experiments with strings and synthesizers, and the Boss's present-day second thoughts. "We should've used that," he says, listening to the rejected take 16 of "Jungleland." Saxophonist Clarence Clemons recalls standing at the mike for 16 hours as he and Springsteen worked out every note and nuance of a single solo. Engineer Jimmy Iovine remembers sessions running from 9 or 10 a.m. till 5 or 6 the next morning; he chewed on foil gum wrappers so the pain would keep him awake. The title song alone took six months to complete.

But even more arresting is the way the film documents the passage of time. Springsteen's manager, ex-journalist Jon Landau, morphs from a scruffy cherub into Dick Cheney. The Springsteen of 1975 was a wispy-bearded hippie Jesus; today he looks like Robert De Niro playing Keith Richards. Whatever you think about his music, you can't help but love a man who's worked so hard to keep his integrity and his humility. When you watch him listening intently—sometimes laughing with joy—as he listens to playbacks from 30 years ago, you realize that, as much as time has changed him, he really hasn't changed a bit.

© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10113125/site/newsweek/
November 22nd, 2005 04:24 PM
Brainbell Jangler quote:

Poplar wrote:
good thing we're considering something like this with all that's wrong at the moment

Darn right, Poplar. We should be focused on cut-and run draft dodgin' cowards like Murtha and their craven attempts to undercut our decorated war heroes, Bush and Cheney.

BTW, aren't you sick and tired of liberals trying to compare Iraq to the "quagmire" of Vietnam? Everyone knows there's a big difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War: Bush and Cheney had a plan for getting out of the Vietnam War!
November 22nd, 2005 04:30 PM
Joey
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
BTW, aren't you sick and tired of liberals trying to compare Iraq to the "quagmire" of Vietnam? Everyone knows there's a big difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War: Bush and Cheney had a plan for getting out of the Vietnam War!

W- W- What ?!?!

Coffeeshop De Dampkring
Handboogstraat 29
1012 xm Amsterdam

[ Edited by Bill Clinton ]

[Edited by Joey]
November 22nd, 2005 04:35 PM
pavlovs dog BTW, aren't you sick and tired of liberals trying to compare Iraq to the "quagmire" of Vietnam? Everyone knows there's a big difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War: Bush and Cheney had a plan for getting out of the Vietnam War!

quote:
Joey wrote:

W- W- What ?!?!

Coffeeshop De Dampkring
Handboogstraat 29
1012 xm Amsterdam

[ Edited by Bill Clinton ]

[Edited by Joey]

Joey;

Brainbell used an example of SARCASM. It's not used much around this country anymore.
November 22nd, 2005 04:42 PM
Joey
quote:
pavlovs dog wrote:

Joey;

Brainbell used an example of SARCASM. It's not used much around this country anymore.

I would like to caress your kneecaps .

" White Willow Ronnie ?!?! "

November 22nd, 2005 04:46 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
Joey wrote:

I would like to caress your kneecaps .

" White Willow Ronnie ?!?! "

sometimes your replies confuse me

did I mention that Jair is my new role model?
November 22nd, 2005 04:54 PM
Joey
quote:
pavlovs dog wrote:

sometimes your replies confuse me

did I mention that Jair is my new role model?

Forgive Me Pavlovs dog ......................

I made a typo ... It should have been " White Widow "

W- W- W- W- What ?!?! ..... Oh , sure ! :

" We had dinner, sat around with some wine talking and then he told my wife and I “I have a little something for you” he left for his luggage. When he came back he had a small zip lock bag with some good grass called “white widow” he picked up at his favorite haunt in A’Dam a “coffee shop” named De Dampkring.
He rolled a pretty average sized J and we all toked until it was about half done then he put it out! My wife and I looked at each other and then at him; Jeff just smiled and said just wait a minute. No sooner had he said this when it hit us three like a steam roller.
That’s almost exactly two tokes each!!
We just sat there smiling not saying a single thing for close to 20 minutes "

http://www.dandom.com/guestbook/

November 22nd, 2005 04:57 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Forgive Me Pavlovs dog ......................

I made a typo ... It should have been " White Widow "

whew! that clears it all up! For some reason I thought you said something about caressing.

Did I mention that Jair was my new role model?
[Edited by pavlovs dog]
November 22nd, 2005 05:06 PM
Joey " Did I mention that Jair was my new role model?"

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)