ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today 32 years ago - Jimi celebrating his last birthday
Photo by noted philosopher, sound engineer and producer Eddie Kramer

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ron Wood's Not For Beginners Return to archive
11-14-01 04:35 AM
Mathijs Just listened to Wood's Not For Beginners, and allthough there is some off-key singing of Ron, I really like what I hear! This guy is doing what he's doing best, without any commercial compromises! Far and far better than what Jagger comes up with (dull Primitive Cool shit!! I still can't believe what I am hearing when I play Goddess, so dated& commercial&simple). Be Beautiful and Real Hard Rocker are great, This Little Heart sounds classic. It reminds me of his Gimme Some Neck album, but more laid-back. Sure, Woody seems to be too wasted to deliver some hard-driving R&R, but at least he's not trying something he can't do anymore! Again, as in 1993, Ronnie seems to be the winner again!

Mathijs

-------------------------------------------------
Stones in Review:
http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
Guitars / Bootlegs
11-14-01 05:17 AM
yellow1 I hope you're not serious...
This cliched Jagger slamming is ridiculous especially after his brilliant display of songwriting and musicianship (his very good guitar playing is now heard well for the first time).
11-14-01 05:33 AM
Mathijs Oh yeah, I am dead serious! Blue is a terrific song, but the complete Goddess album is HORRIBLE in my opinion! I find all tracks just mere cliche, easy listening Primitive Cool outtakes, and that's it. I am an huge Jagger fan, I love She's The Boss and Wandering Spirit, but Goddess is a waste of time. What did I hate about Steel Wheels and the Urban Jungle tour? Matt Clifford. Who did almost everything on the album? Matt Clifford. I am very sorry, but the lyrics are simplistic, there's loads of 80's style synthesizer-strings arrangements, there's loads of cheap dated drum machine dance-like rythm tracks. The album reminds me of Hall&Oates and Michael Bolton, and that's not a compliment. In a year time we will laugh at this album -just as we laugh at Primitive Cool now.

Mathijs

Stones in Review:
Guitars / Bootlegs

I find Ronnie's album sincere. He made it with the abilities he has now. He's not a great singer (he never was), he's not a great guitarist anymore -he knows it. But he still has a love for music, and wants to share that. Not For Beginners won't be my fave of the year, but for now, it's the best a Stones has made since B2B.

Mathijs
11-14-01 05:43 AM
yellow1 Your judgement is clouded (how can you write that She's the Boss is better ?!) and I am sure you will reconsider once the "emotion" is gone.
The songwriting is very tight and the arrangements quite to the point. This is very good power pop, very much in line with the better material on B2B, i.e. Anybody, Aleady, Sait, OOC.
For your information, Matt Clifford was very heavily involved in Wandering Spirit too (Don't Tear Me up, etc...)but his playing is only really heard on Angel In My Heart.
11-14-01 06:51 AM
Cardinal Fang I have to agree with Mathijs on every issue except for She's The Boss. (Not a fan of it)

I also would have to respectfully disagree with Yellow 1's definition of Mick and "Power Pop". This is NOT power pop. This is POP. If you want to hear good Power Pop listen to bands like The Jam, Stiffs Inc, or The Buzzcocks. THAT by definition is Power Pop. I too like Mick and I liked Wandering Spirit but his new album is more like Primitive Cool. It's OK to NOT like Mick's new album and If you like Mick's new album that's OK too. I just DON'T like really shiny glossy albums. Some of these songs sound like something you would hear in a Pepsi commercial. I also don't like the drumming/drum machines on Mick's new album. It's just a matter of preferences. You think it's a great album, I think it sucks. We're both right.

In a different thread Yellow 1 (I think it was you?) mentioned Ronnie's stuff sounding like Izzy Stradlin. You know, I thought some of it did too when I first heard it ! But then again, I really LIKE Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds. I have all of Izzy's albums even a bootleg or two, so there you go.

I don't really have any way of putting up Ronnie's songs that are missing. What are the two songs?

I've gotta catch up on my e-mail now.

Later, Cardinal Fang

11-14-01 07:27 AM
Mathijs My judgement is not clouded at all and my emotions are dead and gone by now! I have listened to Goddess for two weeks and my opinion hasn't changed a bit. First, I HATE Power Pop, in my book Cinderella, Was (Not Was) and Michael Bolton is Power Pop. I want hard drivin' R&B and good old rock&roll, NOT Power Pop. I like She's The Boss because if you listen through the slick production, the Jeff Beck guitar lines and the Simon Philips drumming then there's some great tracks on it with great powerfull vocals by Jagger in his prime. Half A Loaf and Just Another Night are hell of a songs! Clifford was on Wandering Spirit too, but that album was mainly driven by Jimmy Ripp's great and raw guitar and Rubin's Miller' inspired production work. Clifford played a side role, and not the leading part as on Goddes.

In other mails Izzy Stradlin is mentioned: I am a big fan of Izzy, and I am glad Ron's album reminiscess the work of Izzy -better than to reminisce Bad Hair 80's Power Rock!

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rollling Stones in Review

The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------

(how can you write that She's the Boss is better ?!) and I am sure you will reconsider once the "emotion" is gone.
The songwriting is very tight and the arrangements quite to the point. This is very good power pop, very much in line with the better material on B2B, i.e. Anybody, Aleady, Sait, OOC.
For your information, Matt Clifford was very heavily involved in Wandering Spirit too (Don't Tear Me up, etc...)but his playing is only really heard on Angel In My Heart.
11-14-01 10:36 AM
~AzQb

The FerOCiouslyGorgeousCardinal said\;

[/quote]"I also would have to respectfully disagree with Yellow 1's definition of Mick and "Power Pop".'

Yeah, and you forgotTHEPop. Iggy!!!!!

~
11-14-01 12:10 PM
yellow1 Well everyone's entitled to their opinion, but saying that Goddess is: "dull Primitive Cool shit!! I still can't believe what I am hearing when I play Goddess, so dated& commercial&simple" is really not a very responsible statement.
If anything Primitive Cool had some nice and well-written songs, Party Doll, the title track, Kow Tow, Say You Will and Radio Control to name a few. The production is dated on some tracks (Say You will for instance) but it's still better than some of the Stones' group efforts and many of Keith's directionless efforts.

It seems you want Mick and the boys to stick to the blues (definitely the background of WS coordinator Jimmy Rip), which is fine, but you gotta realize that there's other stuff out there. I for one prefer "Hideaway" to "The Storm" or "I'm Gonna Drive" or "Runnin' To Deep" or any of thing I've heard on Ronnie's album. Jagger's just trying to be inevntive and as usual the die hard fans refuse to give him a chance...
I'm still perplexed at the fact you like "She's The Boss" when you have such harsh words for Primitive Cool and Goddess...
11-14-01 12:59 PM
KeepRigid LOL

Ahh, what a joke.

What will you guys do if, (after Mick and the boys reunite amicably), Keith slips up and says he thought Goddess was a good effort? Let's face it- over half the songs on this album could've been on B2B and no one here would've batted an eye.

The real issue people have with this album is the fact that everyday we're being told in the press how Mick is courting Britney fans, and that just doesn't sit well with the die-hards. But personally, it's nowhere near the sin of having to see Keith sing Memory Motel alongside Dave Matthews. What a complete absence of singing talent that guy is- and here he was allowed to butcher a rare gem like MM! (Or having to watch Keith share the stage with a bunch of hacks like Pearl Jam, as they got to butcher more gems!!!!)

But really, what a joke to hear people begrudgingly praise Jagger's work just because it sounds like Stones-lite (Blue, WS, etc.) If anything, those tracks should draw the harshest criticism, for being so weak in comparison to what they COULD'VE been- or for Mick shamelessly imitating his real band. As someone pointed out recently, it's not as though Mick's solo stuff is radically different from the Stones- and that's true. If just one of the other members were credited on a track, that track would be embraced by the fans.

Is it really the best album since Some Girls? No. But it is a strong effort and can stand up to the solo work of the other Stones- even if the production doesn't "sound" familiar. But just because something is acoustic doesn't make it good either (ie. If Things Had Been Different).

Do I pretend to understand why the Stones bother with all this solo stuff? No. But at least a solo effort at this time makes more sense than WS did. I mean, Mick had just done 2 studio albums, 2 live albums, 8 years, several tours, and endless press with the Stones before Goddess. Compare that to WS- his quick return to solo work after a brief 'reunion' with the Stones. But no one questioned that, since WS was 'kinda' like a Stones album.

Do I really care if fans don't like Goddess? No. But if people want to pretend that Exile wasn't 30 years ago, hey...

And for the record, I couldn't stand the lousy soloing and cliched-guitar posing of Jimmy Rip!
11-14-01 01:35 PM
yellow1 Well said !
11-14-01 02:00 PM
starfucker78 I think it's impossible for Mick to make an album that most Stones-fans like.
If it's something like Goddess (which I like), some people complain that it's pop.
If he'd made something which sounded more r&r, everybody would be complaining that he should had done it with the stones and that it's not as good as it could have been with the stones.
11-14-01 04:26 PM
yellow1 Yep, let's enjoy this CD and be thankful that our this man who's already brought us so much music still has that drive to put new stuff out!
I'm glad I'm no longer a Who fan in that respect !
11-14-01 04:55 PM
Miss U. Great news about Woody album!!! I will be getting it for sure...I loved Gimme Some Neck.
I also agree Hideaway is a great song on Mick's new album.
11-14-01 06:51 PM
Angiegirl It's okay to dislike a Stones or 'Stonesrelated' (aka 'solo') record and still be a Stonesfan. I'm sorry, but I think it should be a real fan who is critical, BUT: also honest. I don't really like Goddess, but I only heard it 3 times so far. I thought most of WS is great, but I've always liked Ronnie's solo work much better (Slide on live is one of my favorites and also Gimme some neck). I also like most of Keith's solo work, allthough it tends to get a bit boring if I play it too much. Why shouldn't it be ok to dislike Goddess? I can understand Mick wants to do something for himself and we all know that he is a bit insecure (if that's the reason?) and that it is important to him to reach as many people as possible -with positive reviews-, rather than focussing on one group of buyers. Nothing wrong with that. I am just not wild about it and it also isn't a crap album, just something in between IMO.

It is great that he is working and that he still likes working.

Angie
11-15-01 01:16 AM
Happy Motherfucker Rock on!
11-15-01 02:55 AM
~AzQb Angie wrote:

It is great that he is working and that he still likes working.

Angie
[/quote]

I agree on some of your points;{in particular, the above! the above!} however, at this stage of the game, approaching sixty and beyond as a band with a fourty year "anniversary" coming up, i myself would want to conserve a bit of energy for my main priority: that band.

~best regards
A

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.