ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today 32 years ago - Jimi celebrating his last birthday
Photo by noted philosopher, sound engineer and producer Eddie Kramer

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A message from Mick Return to archive
11-14-01 12:52 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl To err is human, but to really f@#* things up requires a computer...

It took two hours and fifteen minutes to download my first version of Mosaic. It was 1993 and the only web pages with graphics seemed to be a site containing extracts from the Dead Sea Scrolls, a university site featuring some Blake etchings, a tour of two rooms of the Vatican, and a page with diagrams on how to build an atomic bomb. I wrote each URL of interest in a small notebook. Then there was the Fish-cam, a webcam updating us with endless shots of someone�s goldfish. At one point this was claimed to be the most popular site on the net � hardly a sign that would herald the dawn of a digital revolution.

By the time the first version of Netscape was available, a slightly faster modem allowed me to download in only 90 minutes. Around that time, the first Stones site was built, my notebook with URLs was almost full, and the number of times my Mac had crashed reached triple figures. Between reboots, my bookmarks were expanding in all directions � From Tao poetry sites to Polish supermodels, from The Times crossword to the latest thesis on the relationship between medieval Cathedral transepts and to the Holy See. When we were in Dallas on the Voodoo Lounge tour, we decided to do the first ever live multicast by a rock�n�roll band (or any band for that matter). There was enough technology brought to bear to land men on Venus, yet just before the show was due to start, road crews at the Cotton Bowl were feverishly splicing phone lines and twisting copper. In the end, the whole thing was held together with duct tape... literally.

For me, the advent of streaming audio and video finally meant the web had come of age, or at least had learnt to crawl. I was not only able to access information from anywhere in the world � flight times, England v West Indies cricket scores, the meaning of the Algerian dance for the insemination of the date palm � but also be entertained by it, albeit in a ham radio kind of way. In order to get more of what I wanted up a company that bought the rights to and then produced and delivered live cricket matches over the Internet.

I�ve always been fascinated by the user interaction the Internet allows. I�ve now done numerous chats and each brings its own left-field charm. In 1998, we even allowed users to nominate a song we�d play on stage each night.

For my new web site, I wanted all to provide the fast-loading information, streaming goodies, a forum for interaction, but also try something a little different. Therefore, you�ll find the information resources � news, lyrics, a lot of photos, background on some of the film projects, some stuff about my past. There�s also lots of rich media entertainment from videos and some tunes. I�ve also included some interactive art � pieces that combine music, technology, and user interaction. While this may not be the Great Leap Forward that will rock civilization to it�s core, I believe it�s a small step in the right direction to making life more interesting.

Hope you enjoy the site. We�ll be adding more content in the weeks and months ahead. We�re always open to suggestions as to how to improve the site.

In meantime, here�s to f@#*ing things up in all the right ways.

Mick

From Mick's site http://www.mickjagger.com

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.