ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today 32 years ago - Jimi celebrating his last birthday
Photo by noted philosopher, sound engineer and producer Eddie Kramer

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick on Westwood 1 today, 9 new songs played, my thoughts. Return to archive
11-11-01 08:18 PM
steel driving hammer This is Mick on his own. He's thinking about the Stones at all.
First let me say the drumming is awful.
But people, Mick has a life other than The Rolling Stones.
He lied to his wife and children by saying he was NOT the father of Lucas.
Give him some Vain and Sympathy, he's not perfect.
But perfect he IS ON STAGE god dammit!
This album is on the fine line on Pop. But he is the finest Pop artist as well as being the greatest rock and roll singer this side of Jupiter.

I didn't like the songs the first time hearing them.
Now, I love and understand them. This is Mick. Mick alone.
The more you play this album, the more you'll understand this stud muffin.
I even think this album is so beautiful I think I'll cut back on my wine consumpsion eber night. Been looking to cut back on the nectar of the grapes anyway...

It's not easy living up to the title "The Greates Rock and Roll Front Man off all time" going on 60 years old.
Mick seems to be growing old gracefully, something Pete Townshend told him NOT to do.
Charlie is god.
Keith will never stop being happy.
Ronnie just the same.
Mick...realizes everything is not about rock and roll...
Thats the truth.

Posting in the Starlight...

Hold on to me Tonight.

Interesting to see how you guys/gals feel about this album.

I think I can dig / understand it.

Spare a thought for Mick's life.
11-11-01 09:39 PM
Maxlugar Well, my fine fermented friend, I say you are damn close to my feelings as well.

This is Mick on his own, for friggin' fucks sake! Get into it for what its worth. It's still better than anything else except the Stones.

Sit, Sip and Salivate to it.

And.....

Hug Me.

MAxy
11-11-01 10:05 PM
steel driving hammer I remeber looking deep into your eyes Maxlugar in the Cleveland hotel parking lot.
I should of joined you at 2000 Mans barbecue! I needed to see you, feel you, high five you, cry w/ feeling w/ you.
Stones are eberthang Maxlugar, eberthang.
Coming home again, from work, the Stone boots are there for me.
So many spare parts,
I just got, Hartford 81, better than Hampton! Yup.
Stuggart 99 perfect SBD and LA first night, NOT LA Friday! A great diff version of La Friday. A perfect Aud recording, loud and crisp. Mick is on FIRE.
Angel in my Heart and Hate It When You Leave.
Maxlugar, I missed a good oppurtinity to get drunk w/ you.
You should of not let me smoke Nankerphelge's Chiba cause it knocked me out, HOW THE HELL COULD I DRIVE BACK TO THE HOTEL AFTER THAT?
GOD GAVE ME EVERYTHING I WANT, A COME ON A COME ON...
Wish to look into your eyes when you play this disc in your down the stairs...
Heard most of it today, the more you play it, the more you'll let Jagger pump you in the ass. Literally....
You can get Vaseline or Olive Oil at any Woolworf Store.
11-13-01 01:27 PM
KeepRigid So were there any interesting comments by Mick? I know the subject of the Stones' future had to have been raised...anything new?
11-13-01 02:07 PM
Joey The only thing that makes this album go is the frothy effervescent presence of one Mr. Peter Blansford Townshend . With the compleat Pete playing guitar and doing that minty fresh " Tap Tap Tap " thing he does on his axe , this disc is given new life . Townshend's virtuoso melodic technique and rhythmic center allow the drums to work as a continuous solo voice in the arrangement rather than simply keep time . Indeed , the prodigious , implacable Townshend's massive , bristling tone actually defines the album's sound , this on just three tracks .

Mick Jagger's solo album is not going to be loved by the masses and I like it like that . We are a secret society . Undercover of the night we are . Hug Me...........

Joey von Insistent Entity

11-13-01 03:39 PM
Maxlugar Joey,

You most recent post seethes with kleptomania-like prose.

Its larceny influenced text has made my Nut Nectar Nuggets want
not only to crawl into my body cavity, but to hop the next flight out
of JFK bound for Rockaway.

Maxy Von Pete Wears Dresses de Often
11-13-01 05:40 PM
Cardinal Ximinez 1st, to answer SDH....I've heard most of the album. I don't like it. And I don't see myself getting sucked in by anything either. I've listened to some of the songs 5 or 6 times, and I've had enough of it. I'll give a listen to the 2 or 3 songs I haven't heard yet. I don't like this kind of music, and just because it was pumped out by Mick doesn't mean I HAVE to like it. I like filthy dirty music. Music that after you listen to it, you feel like you need a bath, or that your ass has been violated. The only squeeky clean music that I like is also weird. Like XTC, or Robyn Hitchcock, or David Bowie. Very clean music, but also gives off a very strange vibe. I don't like straight ahead, overproduced, radio pop. The Beatles is about as close as I get to liking radio pop. Goddess is a radio pop album. I don't think you can argue that point. It's radio music. And I don't like it. The only thing that I'm glad of, is that Mick won't be bringing this crap into a studio for the Stones to do. So for that reason, I appreciate Goddess. But based on what I have heard, I won't be buying the CD.

2nd, this opinion does not make me anti-Mick, or any less of a Stones fan. I know what I like, and Goddess ain't it. I will not like something just because one of the Stones put it out. I love Charlie, but I'm not crazy about jazz. I'm not gonna buy a CD of Charlie doing jazz standards with a tentet. Doesn't make me anti-Charlie, just means I don't dig that particular style of music.

So, you like Goddess. Good for you. But I have a feeling that you really don't like it, and you are just saying that you do because Mick put it out. And that's fine too. As long as you are happy...that's all I really care about.

Primitive Cool Pt. II ain't for me.
11-13-01 07:02 PM
steel driving hammer Nice read Marc but I'm liking this album more and more.
It didn't hit me (Ronnie) the first time round, neither did Anybody Seen My Baby.
But if your r ~ e ~ a~ l ~ l ~ y dig the Stones, think you'll like this one.
Think your right on saying this is Primitve Pt. Duex.
But on Primitve, Radio Control was the only filler.
Goddess doesn't have any.
But Raido Control had a nice bridge...
"I always stay fresh, don't run out of juice,
I don't let the power run dry,
Don't make fool of my self, let my tounge hand too loose,
I stay out of range to survive."

Hey, got that Double Door Chicago vid? Been trading it non stop.
In behalf of Cardnial Fang,
Gotta bail, later... ;^)
11-13-01 07:40 PM
Maxlugar Man we are will all so divided about this?

I thought Primative Cool had some good stuff on it. What was that song on the sevond side that really rocked? Shoot Off Your Mouth, I think? Shit that wailed! And I like Lets Work and Throw Away. Oh and Say You Will. I love that one!

Plus Jeff Beck is on it.

"Chuck a Rollerblade in my ass Ronnie"
11-13-01 07:43 PM
Maxlugar What the fuck did I just type in that first sentance above?

I meant to write "Man, why are we so divided about this...

I've never been the same as far as typing goes since I got drunk on Cow's Milk in CLEVELAND.

I sincerely apologize to all of you.
11-13-01 08:58 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Who's divided and wot for?

I'm not divided over anything. I am completely whole.

BTW, if you liked that song on Primitive Cool so much, how come you couldn't think of it's title right away? And honestly, when was the last time you sat down and listened to Primitive Cool all the way thru? I'll bet it's been a very long time.

I can understand why people are getting excited about Goddess. It's new output. Understandable. We've had nothing since last century, and now, finally, some new output by a Stone! Time to get psyched! WooooooooDoggies! Then we find out that the solo output isn't really very good. Uh Oh. So now what? I know, let's all put the best possible face on this! Hey, There's 3 songs on here that don't totally suck, see it's not so bad. Yes, I can understand all this hoohah. We all desperately wanted this Mick album to be great, and in our desperation, we rationalize greatness upon it. But this isn't a great album, and I'm enough of a realist accept it.

I still love his Mickness. And I'm thankful for Goddess because now Mick can't force any of this tripe onto the Stones. That is a good thing. It's out of his system. Now let's get to the serious business of a Stones album and tour!

Maxy, the Philly thingy flew with my wife about as far as a 10 ton lead statue of a donkey would fly. But have no fear, Cardinal X is working on her. And Cardinal X usually gets what he wants.

Lick me.....
X
11-14-01 09:54 AM
Joey "I still love his Mickness. And I'm thankful for Goddess because now Mick can't force any of this tripe onto the Stones. That is a good thing. It's out of his system. Now let's get to the serious business of a Stones album and tour! "

You make young Joey giggle !

" Lose a hefty shoe up my Ass Ronnie "

Joey , C10

11-14-01 12:16 PM
yellow1 "The only thing that makes this album go is the frothy effervescent presence of one Mr. Peter Blansford Townshend . With the compleat Pete playing guitar and doing that minty fresh " Tap Tap Tap " thing he does on his axe , this disc is given new life . Townshend's virtuoso melodic technique and rhythmic center allow the drums to work as a continuous solo voice in the arrangement rather than simply keep time . Indeed , the prodigious , implacable Townshend's massive , bristling tone actually defines the album's sound , this on just three tracks"

Please...Pete's half death and hasn't come up with anything of interest (or at all) for nearly 20 years and he only plays on 2 tracks, Joy and Gun
11-14-01 02:28 PM
Joey You make Joey very sad.

What do you call that " Tap Tap Tap " he did ?????? That is powerful stuff and it really gets the crowd fired up . Even the kids love it and they all sit around the classroom and talk about how mesmerizing and great it is and why there will never be another performer like the Comnpleat Pete .

" There is a story that the grass is so green . "
11-14-01 05:50 PM
~AzQb

They're called "hammer-ons" & a certain Edward Van Halen "reinvented" the striking (psyche) technique circa 1979...
11-14-01 05:58 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Yeah, "hammer-on". But it wasn't Eddie VH, it was Jan Hammer. Hence the name. Eddie just popularized it's use.

I prefer Joey's "tap tap tap" tag though. It has a goofier ring to it.

You know, I can honestly say, I don't recall Keith ever doing a hammer on. I don't think he approves. Anyone else recall Keef doing the hammer on technique?

11-14-01 06:47 PM
~AzQb

Keithie don't "do" hammer-ons. They are just TOO far beneath him ; )
11-14-01 07:52 PM
Maxlugar Oh yes he has. I've seen him do Hammer ons and Pull offs a few times in recent memory. One of his solo videos has him doing it during the intro of Gimme Shelter.

I also saw him do the 'ol pick down the top string as well.

But he does not like to do it often.

I love it. I don't consider it cheesy. Its just another noise you can make with the electric geetar.
11-14-01 10:02 PM
steel driving hammer Yes I am white but please don't use the black hammers name
to fucking Eddie Van Halens whatever.
Fuck Van Halen up the ya ya.
Das all I gotta say.
Working on the rail road w/ a...Not Eddie.
11-15-01 10:36 AM
~AzQb

Maxy Von B!!!

Hammer-ons, hammer-offs-- maybe once in awhile...but like you said yerself, not that often.

Not "cheating", per se, just boring after awhile. Except when Hendrix hammered a few hisself ; )

That man could hammer-on & hammer-offa me all night long if he felt like it, because like you alluded to: it's just more sounds you can play around with ; ) and HE was the master of FunkeeSoundExtraordinary
11-15-01 10:45 AM
Joey You are all missing the point here .........it is all about entertaining the crowd ....showmanship ......." let's get pretentious , put on an act " and nobody does it better than the Rolling Stones or the Who . If Keith were smart , he would start to do that " Tap Tap Tap " thing on his axe so that the crowd would really get into songs like Brown Sugar and Satisfation ....songs they have heard a million times before . Notice how Joey did not mention JJF -- the crowd always gets into that one .

Joey von Tap Tap Tapily Tap
11-15-01 11:47 AM
Cardinal Fang I have to step in here. You guys are butchering the guitar terms.

A Hammer-On is something you do with your FRET hand, (with ONE hand) The intro to Around & Around is a hammer-on. Keith & Ronnie play them all the time.

The opposite of a hammer-on is a pull-off as Maxy mentioned not a hammer-off.

What you guys are talking about is called tapping or fret tapping. It does involve "hammering", but you are hammering with your PICKING hand. (You use BOTH hands)

So actually, Joey's pretty close with Tap Tap Tap. By the way Joey, I finally spent that ten bucks. (I don't know if I thanked you or not?)

Also Van Halen was not the first person in Rock and Roll to do that. He may have made it popular but even Eddie admits he got it from Harvey Mandel. Listen to his 1971's Baby Batter. Some of you may know Harvey played on the Stones Black and Blue and was in the running as Mick Taylor's replacement. I worked with Harvey in the studio for a couple of days last year. He had absolutly NOTHING to say about the Stones. Maybe if I knew him a little longer and better?

Now remember, I said rock and roll. There were Jazz guys back in the 1950's like Sal Salvador doing fret tapping so it's not that new.

Cardinal Ximinez's answer went by you guys too. I liked it. Having it "named" after keyboardist Jan Hammer. NO, if you really want to know who the fret tap was named after, it was named after Spinal Tap. One of Englands loudest bands.

Later, Cardinal Fang
11-15-01 12:00 PM
Cardinal Ximinez I should have KNOWN that I couldn't slide that one by YOU.

I figured maybe you wouldn't read this thread.

But you gotta admit it was a good joke. "And I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"

Zoiks!
11-15-01 12:06 PM
Maxlugar Oh I was talking about Hammer ons and Pull off's. I haven't seen
the Who performance yet so I was just assuming that's what he was
doing.

I did get the Jan Hammer joke. One of my favorite albums
Is Jeff Beck Live with Jan Hammer (Guitar albums that is).
Jeff and Jan were unbelieveable together. Each of them taking turns
with lead. At points its hard to tell with is Jan's Keyboard and
which is Jeff's guitar. Jeff was also doing the pick hand tapping
way back as well.

Pretty stuff.

How is Harvey sounding these days? That man can play.
11-15-01 02:55 PM
Joey "Also Van Halen was not the first person in Rock and Roll to do that. He may have made it popular but even Eddie admits he got it from Harvey Mandel. Listen to his 1971's Baby Batter. "

Or his 1972's Nut Nectar
Or his 1973's Testicle tonic
Or his 1974's Lava hot ball custard
Or his 1975's Gonad Butter tasting bitter

Or ...Oh Hell , I forgot the rest . Better dig up that old post .

Joey , C10

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.