ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Foro Sol, México City, D. F. 26th February 2006
© and thanks to Poncho Rico!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthday Neil!! Return to archive
12th November 2007 09:34 PM
mojoman long may you run!!!
12th November 2007 09:36 PM
mrhipfl HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

can I get on the birthday list?
13th November 2007 10:50 AM
Martha Happy Birthday to my favorite Neil!

How old are you?

xxoo,
Martha
13th November 2007 10:55 AM
Blowey Happy Happy Birthday!
13th November 2007 12:50 PM
Martha Originally posted: November 13, 2007

Neil Young celebrates birthday with fragility and feedback

Neil Young turned 62 Monday, and at a sold-out Chicago Theatre he set the evening’s agenda.

“The same thing that makes you live/Can kill you in the end,” he sang on the night’s first song. So much for raucous celebrations.

The crowd did serenade the lean rocker with “Happy Birthday,” and Young raised a bottle in appreciation, but this wasn’t a night for party hats and kazoos (he is scheduled to headline a second concert at the venue Tuesday). Instead, it was Young trolling through five decades of heavy-hearted music: 22 songs, divided into acoustic and electric sets.

He dug deep, performing several unreleased songs (“Sad Movies,” “No One Seems to Know,” “Love Art Blues”) and myriad long-buried album tracks (notably a stunning “Ambulance Blues”). The voice was at times as ragged as his graying straw hair and floppy paint-splattered shirt, but the performance was never half-hearted. Young in acoustic mode was a lanky Ichabod Crane, all knees and elbows jutting out in different directions as he strummed his guitar. He strung together songs that surveyed the geography of loneliness: the forlorn “Sad Movies”; a devastating “A Man Needs a Maid,” with the singer on piano and funeral organ; the torn-and-frayed “Love Art Blues,” in which a man struggles to reconcile two opposing impulses.

“Time is better spent searching than in finding,” Young concluded on “No One Seems to Know,” one of those deeply personal songs he wrote decades ago but never got around to releasing. To hear it now was a treat, and yet it also left one pondering the pain that produced it. The only drawback was “Mellow My Mind,” with Young sounding a little creaky on banjo. But the more casual fans got to whoop along with “Love is a Rose,” sigh to a lovely piano-led “After the Gold Rush,” and relive “Harvest” memories with “Old Man.”

For the electric set, the purest pleasure was watching the interaction between Young and his longtime drummer Ralph Molina. The Crazy Horse veteran flew the Jolly Roger from his kit, and his behind-the-beat feel left huge chasms of space in which Young could move. After the taut dynamics of the acoustic set, Young was ready to roam, stomping across the stage and rolling his shoulders as he conjured wave after wave of feedback on the surging “Spirit Road” and the 15-minute “No Hidden Path.” On “Dirty Old Man,” Young’s guitar sputtered and coughed like a backfiring muffler --- every bit as irascible as the song’s narrator. If the acoustic songs were preoccupied with impermanence, the electric set was about the journey out. “Show me the way, show me the way,” the singer chanted. Then he made his guitar shudder and swoop, and parted the darkness.

[email protected]

The set list:

Set 1 (solo):

1. "From Hank to Hendrix": "Here I am with this old guitar/Doing what I do," Young sings, and the crowd roars in appreciation.

2. "Ambulance Blues": The rarely performed epic from "On the Beach" sounds more timely than ever with a refrain that declares, "I never knew a man who could tell so many lies/He had a different story for every set of eyes."

3. "Sad Movies": Delicate finger-picking while Young begs for someone, somewhere to "jab something through me."

4. "A Man Needs a Maid": Young at the grand piano and organ like a haunted phantom of the opera.

5. "No One Seems to Know": An unreleased song from a time when break-ups were inspiring some of Young's most personal lyrics.

6. "Harvest": More fragile finger-picking as new love blooms.

7. "After the Gold Rush": A love song to Mother Earth, with Young at upright piano.

8. "Mellow My Mind": An adult looks back at lost innocence, accompanied by creaky banjo.

9. "Love Art Blues": Originally debuted on a Crosby Stills Nash & Young tour in 1974, now resurrected to pose the eternal question, "Why must I choose between the best things I ever had?"

10. "Love is a Rose": Hand-clapping hoedown.

11. "Old Man": The first chord brings another torrent of applause.

Set 2 (with multi-instrumentalist Ben Keith, bassist Rick Rosas, drummer Ralph Molina)

12. "The Loner": Young's guitar twines around Keith's pedal steel.

13. "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere": Molina supplies the high harmonies.

14. "Dirty Old Man": Nasty song, nastier guitar tone.

15. "Spirit Road": Young, Molina, Keith and Rosas ride the wave.

16. "Bad Fog of Loneliness": A countryish feel on this rarity, with Keith's pedal steel setting the melancholy tone.

17. "Winterlong": One of Young's best melodies, with Keith again taking an entrancing solo.

18. "Oh, Lonesome Me": The whine of the singer's harmonica underscores the plaintive chorus of this 1957 Don Gibson country hit.

19. "The Believer": A soul vibe with call-and-response vocals.

20. "No Hidden Path": Young takes his guitar on a thrilling voyage through a big mountain of noise, carving out a path with Rosas' bass beside him.

Encore

21. "Cinnamon Girl": The song on which the modern-day Neil Young guitar sound was built 37 years ago, and it still thrills, right down to Molina's exultant "Whooh!"

22. "Like a Hurricane": More sheets of sound, with Young furiously strumming the strings to overload the overtones.

13th November 2007 02:05 PM
Child of the Moon I did my part by playing nothing but Neil at work yesterday. Thanks for everything, Mr. Young. It's said so often, but long may you run.
13th November 2007 02:14 PM
Jaxx at the Neil Young concert last tuesday night, we were trying to figure out how old he was. he looked GREAT. he even hit all of the notes. he catted around the stage during his acoustic set picking out different guitars to play, choosing between 2 pianos. it was nice to see him in the intimacy of a smaller venue (wells fargo theatre in the convention center)

great show. lots of energy.

happy birthday and keep on rocking in the free world.
13th November 2007 03:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
at the Neil Young concert last tuesday night, we were trying to figure out how old he was.

13th November 2007 04:07 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He looks 82!
13th November 2007 04:08 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:
long may you run!!!

Happy Happy Birthday !!!!

13th November 2007 04:29 PM
TomL My friend in Chicago said the show was awesome, I'm going Thursday to the DC show.
13th November 2007 05:49 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TomL wrote:
My friend in Chicago said the show was awesome, I'm going Thursday to the DC show.

Enjoy!
13th November 2007 06:16 PM
TomL Thanks Bones, where ya from in Canada?
13th November 2007 06:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

He looks 82!

ah..but he PLAYS 32!
13th November 2007 06:42 PM
TomL Amen brother, I would piss on you anywhere man.
13th November 2007 08:22 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TomL wrote:
Thanks Bones, where ya from in Canada?

Waterloo, Ontario. One hour west of Toronto.
14th November 2007 08:06 PM
TomL Well Bones next time I am in your fair city(which I love) I may have to give you a buzz.
16th November 2007 10:26 AM
TomL If you get a chance do not miss the show. The first half is an acoustic set. It is good but I thought a little drawn out, it is just Neil himself, no one else. But I will say I have not seen this before. During the mellow set per his request no on is allowed to enter during a song. You had to wait till the song was done- hence I missed the first song.

But the electric set was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Loner, Believer, Oh Lonesome me, Cinn Girl, Like a hurricane, No Hidden path( about a 20 minute jam session). All in all I am glad I went, it was a great show. And the double rum and cokes at the Bottom Line and the froggy bottom Inn were great, I just made the last metro out of town. At Constitution Hall the lines for drinks were so long (so in true toml style) I would just go up to the first person in line and buy them a drink for getting me one. All in all he played allot of stuff I have not heard for awhile, and the very small setting was great. Go, this may be one of the last chances you get.
16th November 2007 11:46 AM
Martha
quote:
TomL wrote:
My friend in Chicago said the show was awesome, I'm going Thursday to the DC show.

Howe was it Captain?

xxoo,
Martha
16th November 2007 11:48 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Martha wrote:

Howe was it Captain?

xxoo,
Martha

His review is right above your post.
Hitting the "tea" early today???

LJ.
16th November 2007 12:36 PM
glencar He's 62 already? Wow!
16th November 2007 02:08 PM
Gazza Apparently the other night in Chicago he played a song called 'Sultan' as an encore, which was about the first thing he ever recorded as a demo back in about 1963.

Bizarre
16th November 2007 02:21 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Apparently the other night in Chicago he played a song called 'Sultan' as an encore, which was about the first thing he ever recorded as a demo back in about 1963.

Bizarre

yep! two different recordings are available on both dime and hunger city...

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=5326
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=170749
16th November 2007 02:39 PM
Martha
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

His review is right above your post.
Hitting the "tea" early today???

LJ.

Hey Sister! No, not yet! LOL When I posted my reply his review wasn't there. WTF?!?!? I have no clue what the hell happened as it's just taken me several minutes to find my post and it isn't where I'd posted it. I dislike technology more and more each passing day. The chance that I throw the damn computer out of the window increases ever so slightly each day. But then, howe could I keep in touch with this message board?! LOL It's what stops me from doing the deed. I have had to stay out of the computer room for several days at a time because I get so damn angry when I go on-line and something goes haywire, which happens more often than not. It really flips my switch! I have a hate hate hate relationship with technology.

Glad you saw the show and liked it Capt.! For me getting "Oh Lonesome Me' saw worth the price of admission.

xxoo,
Martha
16th November 2007 05:48 PM
Ho-ey

16th November 2007 10:04 PM
TomL Martha my dear, it was the high light of my night also.

Every bodies going out and having fun............

Oh...Lonesome....Me..........

If I see you there at the top of the stairs...............

I hope you understand.............

I'm a Dirty Old Man do what I can.........

But I am a Believer..........

You Are Like a Hurricane............

I want to love you but I get so blown.....away.........

The one guitar player(sorry I do not remember his name) Was with him back in the Harvest days.
[Edited by TomL]
16th November 2007 10:43 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
TomL wrote:
Martha my dear, it was the high light of my night also.

Every bodies going out and having fun............

Oh...Lonesome....Me..........

If I see you there at the top of the stairs...............

I hope you understand.............

I'm a Dirty Old Man do what I can.........

But I am a Believer..........

You Are Like a Hurricane............

I want to love you but I get so blown.....away.........

The one guitar player(sorry I do not remember his name) Was with him back in the Harvest days.
[Edited by TomL]

I believe that would be Ben Keith. He's been on just about every Neil album from Harvest onward and most of his crazy off-shoot bands (e.g. Santa Monica Flyers, Shocking Pinks, the Bluenotes, etc.).
16th November 2007 10:53 PM
TomL tank u ps.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)