ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Strange, strange, strange desires Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-16-03 09:09 AM
nankerphelge BEIJING, China (AP) -- Shiny hair. Upright humps. Sharp outfits. And definitely no swimsuit competition.

If you're in the market for a beautiful camel, those are apparently the things you might want to consider. And in northern China, they're doing just that -- holding a dromedary beauty contest as part of what is billed as "the first international camel festival."

The beauty competition in the Inner Mongolia region attracted nearly 100 dressed-up camels "as well as more than 2,000 fans," the official Xinhua News Agency said Saturday. It didn't specify who the "fans" were or where they came from.

The judges, mostly experienced camel herders, described the criteria for victory to Xinhua: The camels, they said, "should have good appearance -- shiny hair and upright humps -- and should be good dressers wearing beautiful halters and saddles in a proper way."

The contest was held in a community called Alxa League, known as the "camel hometown." It has one-third of China's camels and is the main habitat for the double-humped Bactrian camel, Xinhua said. The two-humped Bactrian is indigenous to Mongolia and was domesticated some 3,000 years ago.

Dry weather in recent years has hurt the area's environment, though, and Xinhua said the number of camels has dropped to 68,000 from 250,000 in the 1980s.

Festival sponsors said they wanted the camel beauty competition to generate more attention for the beasts.

"We hope the government can set up a natural reserve and a genetic database for Bactrian camels to keep a stable population of the species while promoting the development of camel product enterprises," said an Alxa League official, quoted by Xinhua.

11-16-03 09:13 AM
nankerphelge From today's Wash. Post:

In the early 1980s, the only thing most people knew about llamas was that Michael Jackson had one. But it didn't take long for them to realize that the potential of this woolly, big-eyed ruminant extends beyond being an exotic pet to eccentric pop stars.

Llamas were first domesticated in the Andes Mountains as beasts of burden. You can parade them in shows as you would fancy dogs, keep one in the back yard as a pet for the kids or use them to guard a herd of sheep -- all of which they will do without complaint. But until you put a pack on them, you'll never understand what llamas were really meant to do.

The good news: Just a drive away from the D.C. area, you can get to know these unusual animals by signing up for llama hikes and treks. Not only will you learn to load, lead and handle a llama on a trail, but you'll travel through some of the area's prettiest scenery. As someone who grew up on a llama ranch and spent every summer llama-packing in the Rockies, I can promise you that the experience offers quite a few more comforts than backpackers can afford. When I went backpacking recently, I considered eating oatmeal three times a day just to keep my pack light. But back home, my dad used to have a llama reserved solely for his fly-fishing gear. He didn't have to carry a thing -- and neither will you.

What to Expect: Your host will give you an overview of the hike before you get off the ranch. You'll learn everything from how to load the packs to where the animals like to be petted (tip: necks good, faces and legs bad). Llamas are ideal trail companions; they're amiable, calm, smart and smaller than horses -- so less intimidating. Yes, they do spit occasionally, but only at each other, so you'll only get an eyeful if you walk between a four-legged disagreement. On the trail, a well-trained llama will follow your lead on a lax rope, offering only an occasional hum in lieu of conversation.

What to Bring: Your hosts will probably provide food, water and equipment, so all you'll need is a good pair of hiking boots. Don't forget a camera. Dress in layers so you can easily adjust to temperature changes.

Cost: Prices range from $18 for a two-hour trek to $65 for a five-hour hike and gourmet lunch. Treks run year-round but depend on the weather.

Llama-Trekking Companies

Applewood Inn & Llama Trekking. 242 Tarnbeck Lane, Glasgow, Va. 540-463-1962. www.applewoodbb.com. Llama hikes and lunch hikes leave every Saturday morning and Monday-Friday, by appointment only. A two-hour trek is $18; lunch is an additional $6.50. Inn guests receive a discount.

Twin Creeks Llamas. 427 Turtle Lane, Browntown, Va. 540-631-9175. www.twincreeksllamas.com. Enjoy half-day lunch hikes in the Blue Ridge Mountains, 11/2 hours from the District. A five-hour trek, including gourmet picnic lunch, is $65 for adults and $45 for children younger than 12. Reservations required.

11-16-03 01:07 PM
gypsy Llamas have such languid eyes...
11-16-03 02:02 PM
nankerphelge I was once molested by a pack of llamas!

I shit ye not!

I went to the Catskill Game Farm in New York and there was a large pen of llamas. You could get a bag of llama treats and go into the pen and feed them.

But they are a greedy and persistent beast.

Once they figured out I had a bag of food they went beserk.
Kept sticking their llama faces right up next to mine -- it was a llama gang-bang I tell ya!

I felt violated!
I have found it very difficult to get initimate with them since!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
11-16-03 06:48 PM
Stonesthrow Rama llama gang bang? Or are you just a little llama's boy? BTW, how many times since that unfortunate incident have you tried to get intimate with a llama?
11-16-03 08:10 PM
J.J.Flash Nanky I must admit fella, I readed the first article (the camel contest) in all its entirety!
11-16-03 10:22 PM
gypsy I have a llama story. When I was little, we took a golf cart through this place called "Arbuckle Wilderness." Well, the fan belt broke on the golf cart, and my dad had to get under it and fix it while we were in the llama section of this place...and the llamas were going to stampede my dad...so, my sister and mom and I had to throw rocks at the llamas to keep them away. Llamas are really aggressive creatures.
11-16-03 10:44 PM
nankerphelge Damn right -- they like the rough stuff....
11-17-03 11:37 AM
luxury1 Ok, I have one too. I did a llama trek in Vermont with my kids and niece. They handled their llamas just fine (tethered on a lease, walking through the wooded path). Well, mine kept putting its disgusting drool-laden mouth in my hair, and snorting loudly, blowing llama spit and snot all over me. Every ten minutes he'd do it. I hate those things. Those languid eyes dont fool me.
11-17-03 12:24 PM
Factory Girl We need a "victims of llamas" support group.

"Llama task force, Ronnie!"
11-17-03 12:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot nanky...you are gonna shit liquid when I tell you this...I too was molested by llamas AT THE VERY SAME PLACE that it happened to you! Even worse, a yak tried to come through a fence at me, gave me a bloody nose.

Needless to say, they refunded our admission to us.

What is up with that place? I can't go back to the Catskills without a debilitating paranoia ruining it for me. I see llamas and yaks behind every tree!
11-17-03 08:42 PM
nankerphelge Stoney, that is some crazy shit!

They literally chased me about the pen until I gave up and threw the llama treats into the air and ran out!!

My girlfriend at the time laughed the whole way home!
I admit, it must have been hysterical.

But not nearly as funny as the visual of luxy with her hair all full of llama zule!

11-17-03 09:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot I was just a little squier when it happened to me. Prob 8 or 9 years old. The damn things tried to eat my mom's pocketbook! It was one of those straw hand totes...damn things thought it was a damn llama cookie!

That place sux like a fuckin' Hoovermatic! I won't take my kid to any of those stupid petting zoo places.
11-17-03 10:42 PM
nankerphelge I must have been 20 or 21 when it happened to me.

Catskill Game Farm is a bit different, but I wouldn't slander all petting zoos.
Some are actually very satisfying!

I mean fun!

Satisfying?
What was I thinkin'!!!!!!
11-18-03 12:29 AM
gypsy *nervously stands up*
"Hi, my name is gypsy, and I was attacked by llamas."
*group hug*

*single tear*
11-18-03 04:15 PM
Factory Girl WElcome to the group, gypsy. Did you enjoy it??
11-18-03 06:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot FG...no one likes to be violated like that. It makes you feel so cheap and dirty. I would shower 3 or 5 times a day...and I just couldn't get that clean feeling. I felt so...you know...USED!

Gypsy...I need your mailing addy. PM me.
11-18-03 07:03 PM
littleredrooster Rooster was at the Catskill Game Farm years ago, but I stuck to the sheep!
11-18-03 07:16 PM
nankerphelge Funny you should mention that.

After I was attacked by the llamas, I sat down near the sheep pen.

After a while a pretty young ewe came over and we chatted about the evil llamas. She said she understood and put her hoof on my hand. I felt an electricity between us that I have never felt since! We snuck away behind the Funnel Cake Hut and, well...I don't have to say anymore. It was special!

11-18-03 07:18 PM
gypsy I have a similar story, nanky. It was not behind a Funnel Cake Hut; but an Indian Taco Stand.
11-19-03 08:33 AM
Sir Stonesalot Q: What has 26 legs, 24 arms, and 12 teeth?

A: The funnel cake line at the Oklahoma State Fair!

BA-rump-BUMP!!!
11-19-03 09:04 AM
Factory Girl Will there be a video of Paris and a french llama???
11-19-03 09:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot There is no such thing as a french llama. They come from S. America.

Or did you mean is there a video of Paris frenching a llama?
11-19-03 09:36 AM
Factory Girl Yes, thank you Stonesy!

Is there a video of Paris frenching a llama? She does have that farm show...lol

Now, what about Paris's friend Nicole Ritchie? Opinions, please...
11-19-03 02:27 PM
gypsy Nicole Richie is bitter because she is a white girl adopted by Lionel and his first wife (who is black). She got busted for heroin recently.
11-19-03 02:30 PM
Joey " Nicole Richie is bitter because she is a white girl adopted by Lionel and his first wife (who is black). She got busted for heroin recently. "

Gypsy , can you believe what they did here at the board to Steel Driving Hammer ???????

I am heartbroken and ashamed ...........................................and you ?!?!?!?!

Jacky !

11-19-03 02:33 PM
gypsy SDH is nice to me...I never had any problems with him. I don't want to be involved in your little tiff.
11-19-03 02:35 PM
Factory Girl I did not that Nicole was adopted, or that she was on smack.

Thank you, dear gypsy.
11-19-03 02:39 PM
gypsy She probably turned to smack because, as a white girl, she felt like the black sheep of the family.
11-19-03 02:39 PM
nankerphelge Black sheep?
Page: 1 2