ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan sang a song called "Get Your Rocks Off!" ??? Return to archive
11-15-03 09:47 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
You know, there's two ol' maids layin' in the bed,
One picked herself up an' the other one, she said:
"Get your rocks off!
Get your rocks off! (Get 'em off!)
Get your rocks off-a me! (Get 'em off!)"

Well, you know, there late one night up on Blueberry Hill,
One man turned to the other man and said, with a blood-curdlin' chill, he said:
"Get your rocks off! (Get 'em off!)

Well, you know, we was layin' down around Mink Muscle Creek,
One man said to the other man, he began to speak, he said:

Well, you know, we was cruisin' down the highway in a Greyhound bus.
All kinds-a children in the side road, they was hollerin' at us, sayin':
Get your rocks off-a me!"

Copyright © 1968; renewed 1996 Dwarf Music

Holyshit! When was this?
11-15-03 10:33 PM
StrangeSkies Apparently on The Basement Tapes, which I do not have, so I can't really help you any more...
11-15-03 10:53 PM
Lazy Bones Noted in a studio session of 1966 with the Hawks and June-October 1967 at the Big Pink, West Saugerties, NY with the Band. Did some searching and was unable to note any time of ever being played live.

"A Five-Song demo" is a source tape used for "A Tree With Roots" bootleg. Get Your Rocks Off!, however, was the only track not used. You will find it, however, on reel three of the 11-disc set "Bob Dylan & The Band: From the Reels - Complete Basements" as described here:
http://theband.hiof.no/albums/boot_from_the_reels_complete_basements.html

Also on the Dylan LP boot - "VD Waltz", here:
http://bobsboots.com/boots/bt-v001.html

and, "Million Dollar Bash":
http://bobsboots.com/boots/bt-m011.html
11-16-03 06:01 PM
Gazza recorded during the Basement Tapes sessions in summer 1967. Frequently bootlegged but never released or performed live.
11-16-03 07:17 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Huh! It was on Bob's site yesterday.

Do you think he suspects?

The lyrics *do* sound quite similar to another song with that same sort of tone, especially the "get 'em off! get 'em off!" refrain.

Bob just never had the balls to come out and use the phrase figuratively.

I guess "Odds And Ends" does it, with the "spilling juice on me all the time" line.

-tSYX --- Lost time is not found again...
11-16-03 07:33 PM
Lazy Bones Gary, are you going the Point show in Dublin tomorrow?
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
11-16-03 09:59 PM
Gazza No - but I WAS at Wembley last night!!

I've no leave left from work (thanks to Mick and keith and co!) so it had to be a weekend show for me,so Dublin was out unfortunately. So,I went over to london yesterday and got home a few hours ago.

Terrific show from Bob last night. first time I've ever seen him play a note on keyboards in all the shows Ive been at, and he played them on every song! Incredible version of "Desolation Row" (one of the best EVER!), which somewhat made up for the mild disappointment at the omission of "love minus zero" (the one song I've never seen him play yet which I've always wanted to, and which had been played at most European shows in the last few weeks..) He played exactly two hours, the band was terrific and I think playin the keyboards helps his singing voice - it was very good and his phrasing was wonderful.

setlist was : (pasted from www.expectingrain.com):

Maggie's Farm (Bob on piano)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
(Bob on piano and harp, Larry on pedal steel, Freddy on electric guitar, Tony on electric bass)
Cry A While (Bob on piano and harp, Larry on slide guitar)
Desolation Row
(Bob on piano and harp, Larry on acoustic guitar, Freddy on electric guitar, Tony on electric bass)
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
(Bob on piano, Larry on cittern, Freddy on electric guitar, Tony on electric bass)
Boots Of Spanish Leather (acoustic)
(Bob on piano and harp, Larry on cittern, Freddy on electric guitar, Tony on standup bass)
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Bob on piano)
Mr. Tambourine Man (acoustic) (Bob on piano and harp, Freddy on electric guitar)
Things Have Changed (Bob on piano)
Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano, Freddy on slide guitar)
Every Grain Of Sand (Bob on piano)
Honest With Me (Bob on piano, Larry on slide guitar)
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (acoustic)
(Bob on piano, Freddy on electric guitar, Tony on standup bass)
Summer Days (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass, Tommy on electric guitar)
(encore)

Cat's In The Well (Bob on piano)
Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano)
All Along The Watchtower (Bob on piano and harp)

Now I'm off to bed - knackered!

[Edited by Gazza]
11-17-03 06:04 AM
Doxa Jeez, I saw the man in Helsinki - almost identical set list. Is he coming as predictable as The Rolling Stones?

There are more similarities to the Stones: he really rocks hard nowadays. Straight, loud and dirty rock'n'roll and r&b.

Doxa
11-17-03 10:18 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Doxa wrote:
Jeez, I saw the man in Helsinki - almost identical set list. Is he coming as predictable as The Rolling Stones?

Here's an at-a-glance look of songs performed in 2003. This European leg, I guess could agree, has had few surprises.

http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/song2003.html

One thing you have to remember is the amount of shows/legs that Bob continues to do compared to the Stones. Although song selections within a particular leg haven't changed much recently, the song selections do change from leg-to-leg.
11-18-03 04:56 AM
Doxa Amazing list of songs, Lazy Bones!

And even he repeats the set list, he doesn't seem to repeat the way he performs the songs. That constant re-interpretation is fascinating; every gig turns to be unique. No autopilot shows.

Doxa
11-18-03 05:09 AM
Doxa And about the original question. It was in the Mojo Special Edition (I think) where was said that while the Stones were doing Beggars Banquet they were listening a lot to the "basements tapes". Maybe there is a link: if "Get Yer Rocks Off" was among the songs in that copy of theirs, so maybe Jagger get the idea from there.

Doxa
11-18-03 08:09 AM
Lazy Bones No Love Minus Zero last night, Gary. You can breathe a sigh of relief. Knowing you, however, you've already checked..lol!
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
11-18-03 08:21 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
No - but I WAS at Wembley last night!!

A review - 2 stars. Oi!

Bob Dylan

Wembley Arena, London

Betty Clarke
Monday November 17, 2003
The Guardian

Bob Dylan in concert

Watching a living legend inspires duplicity. You're torn between wanting to hear something seminal and admitting that you want to witness possibly the last, faltering, steps of a star. When the legend is Bob Dylan, the event turns into a freak show. His voice hovers between that of a shrill housewife and Yoda, and he teeters around the stage with the elegance of the Elephant Man.

Having tried his best to destroy his significance - a litany of turgid albums, starring in the abysmal Hearts of Fire with Rupert Everett - Dylan now toys with his reputation. He appears to a blast of bombastic classical music, a crest, featuring a crown, projected behind him. This is "the voice of 1960's counterculture", a booming, disembodied voice reminds us.

The country rock of Maggie's Farm is given an enthusiastic makeover by Dylan's outstanding band, who deliver tight rock'n'roll. Dylan's keyboard dexterity is a revelation. Then he sings, with his nasal whine. He pinches the last words of every phrase until they squeak, in an interpretation that's almost parody.

It's difficult to tell if he's embarrassed by the lyrics or indulging in a Jerry Lee Lewis impression. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue is an incomprehensible shriek, his harmonica playing during Mr Tambourine Man a welcome reprieve. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum from 2001's brilliant Love and Theft only survives thanks to its energetic rhythm.

Dylan's saving grace is his poetry. "But even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked," he sings in It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), eliciting yells of approval - and proving his back catalogue remains pertinent, however bizarre his performance.
11-18-03 08:13 PM
Gazza well..maybe this is a bit more realistic - from "The Times"

First Night reviews

November 17, 2003

Bob Dylan
By David Sinclair
Pop
Wembley Arena

(4 stars)

“THINGS have changed,” Bob Dylan sang about half-way through his set on Saturday. Indeed they have. While the glitterati was across town paying homage to Kylie, the former voice of a generation held court for the ageing faithful. There were no theatrical devices, dancers or garish costume changes, which was fine, but the lack of large video screens in a venue the size of Wembley Arena was carrying old-fashioned working practices a little too far.
However, Dylan, 62, had rung a few changes of his own, the most notable being that for the whole of the set he played an electronic piano. Given the enduring status of his image as the folk troubadour with a guitar and harmonica rack around his neck, this was a change of emphasis to rival one of Madonna’s chameleon-like makeovers.

The difference was more than cosmetic, too. Hunched over the keyboard, at the side of the stage, he addressed a repertoire that stretches back 40 years with renewed vigour. Dressed in a long black drape jacket and straight trousers with a piping of little stars down the arms and legs, he even looked like a showman as he pushed off with uncluttered versions of Maggie’s Farm and It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue. The first harmonica solo, played with the instrument held in his left hand while he punched out chords on the piano with his right, was clean and unusually lucid.

He was assisted by a tight-knit band of men in black that included Larry Campbell (guitar, pedal steel, cittern), Freddie Koella (guitar), George Recile (drums) and Larry Garnier (bass), a superb musical unit with whom Dylan forged a significant onstage rapport.

The singing of his old songs remained erratic and at times perverse. His current trick, on such favourites Mr Tambourine Man and Like a Rolling Stone, was to bark out the words with a sudden rising note at the end of every line, as if asking a question. The metre was all over the place. You wonder if he could still sing these songs as written if he tried, but the gruff timbre of his voice was as strong as it has been for many years.

However, it was the attitude of the performance that carried the day. Dylan made several forays from behind the keyboard, moving in little hop-a-long steps and occasionally turning to conduct the band, an unheard-of and winning display of codgerish bravado.

Whereas in the past he has been guilty of throwing together groups and set lists as if putting on a performance for a paying audience was the last thing on his mind, this was a skilfully paced show which built from an arena-strength, Southern boogie version of Highway 61 Revisited to a resounding climax of All Along The Watchtower during which the guitarists were finally and famously turned loose.

It’s a little late now, but Dylan seems to have decided that the time has come when even a living legend has to make an effort to put on a show.

11-18-03 08:18 PM
Gazza >No Love Minus Zero last night, Gary. You can breathe a sigh of relief. Knowing you, however, you've already checked..lol!

LOL..yes,..within minutes!!

however, no show tonight at ALL. Dylan has come down with viral laryngitis (no sniggering or sarcastic,smart arsed remarks along the lines of "how could you tell?" from non-disciples, thank you!) so tonights show in Millstreet, Cork has been cancelled and I'd imagine the last 5 shows of the tour in England would be in doubt too.

Ironically, the only previous ocacsion he was scheduled to play this venue was in June 1997 when it was the first date on a European tour that had to be cancelled at a weeks notice when he took the histoplasmosis infection which almost killed him. For God's sake, Bob - take the hint. Never schedule a show at tis venue again - ever!
11-18-03 09:34 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
however, no show tonight at ALL. Dylan has come down with viral laryngitis (no sniggering or sarcastic,smart arsed remarks along the lines of "how could you tell?" from non-disciples, thank you!) so tonights show in Millstreet, Cork has been cancelled and I'd imagine the last 5 shows of the tour in England would be in doubt too.

Damn. The show at Green Glens was sold out. Just noticed the link on ER. One of Jim Aiken's shows, too.
11-18-03 10:00 PM
glencar Didn't Primal Scream do a song about getting your rocks off? It was on "Rocks" I believe.
11-18-03 10:50 PM
Nasty Habits Despite the similarity between the titles and in print structure it probably didn't inspire all that much -- except for a crappy Manfred Mann cover.

Rocks Off was a slang slogan for ejaculation for quite a while before Dylan wrote his basement tune, which in and of itself swipes lyrics from old bawdy songs about two dykes getting each other through the night.

The Dylan song is VERY slow and is one of those basement songs that is barely even a song. A good non-song, but not in a mile of the lead song on Exile on Main Street.

As a student of classic rock you no doubt noticed the similarity in the construction of Dylan's get your rocks off of me inversion of the traditional slang with his own pun on "Everybody Must Get Stoned" in Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 so I won't point it out.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]