ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Return to archive
11-15-03 01:05 AM
full moon I don't have anything by these guys.. What do you think?? Any opinion? Thanks.....^^..^^
11-15-03 06:41 AM
crb69 Definitely check out the new best of package called "Thank You". It even has a bonus DVD with videos, bootlegs & live cuts. Very nicely done, I checked it out last night myself. I feel it is all you really need by them...the cream of the crop & well worth the $25. The first cd Core is great too...
11-15-03 11:22 AM
Gimme Shelter I think STP are great. I saw them live a couple of years ago and they rocked. If only Scott Weiland would stay out of trouble with the law. He is currently working with Slash, Duff, and Matt Sorum of Guns & Roses in a group called Velvet Revolver. They are are supposed to have an album com out in '04.
11-15-03 04:42 PM
Factory Girl Here's my take on STP. I don't like Scott's voice, its boring, imo. Otherwise, STP were cool.

But, junkie lead singers will bring you down.
11-15-03 05:15 PM
Some Guy There 2nd album, buy it pronto. Frigging great
11-15-03 08:06 PM
Shockspeeder Yeah STP for sure look for the album with the swimming pool lady on the cover, there is a song that has JJF-like lyrics and its quite obvious. I tried talking about this a few weeks ago but some lurker named Joey got really confused and mad when I posted some Jumping Jack Flash lyrics.
11-15-03 09:48 PM
Mr T I got Thank You last night, and the DVD isn't a must have unless your a really big fan & just wanna see them live that much. The new track is pretty good though, even if the lyrics are some of their worst ever. If you have just a small interest in them, Thank You might be a good start, but Tiny Music (lady in the pool cover) and Purple (kid riding dragon) are damn good albums. Core is great too, but doesn't stray too far from hard rock the whole disc. Overall they had the largest span of styles out of any band in a damn long time

"But, junkie lead singers will bring you down."

Is that a picture of Layne Staley in your sig?...
AiC was a great band too
[Edited by Mr T]
11-15-03 11:53 PM
BILL PERKS 2ND BEST BAND IN THE WORLD...ALL THEIR ECORDS ARE GOOD YET ALL CONTAIN FILLER.THE GREATEST HITS COVERS IT THOUGH!
11-15-03 11:58 PM
full moon Any opinions on 4 or Shangra La Dee Da......??
11-16-03 12:48 AM
Mr T Number 4 has some OK moments. If you like Sour Girl, give the album a shot, if not, leave it at the bottom of your list. Shangri la Dee Da I personally like a lot (though my opinion has wavered a few times). It's about half & half between some of STP's harder songs(Dumb Love, Hollywood Bitch) their mellowest stuff (Wonderful, Bi Polar Bear) - with a couple in-between radio type songs (Days Of The Week and Too Cool Queenie). This was at one point intended to be a double album, unfortunately that idea was shot down, so there seems to be a lot missing between the hard & soft stuff. If you like STP, I'd say this is a must have to get eventually, but I hope you can get used to the softer tracks - if you want hard rock your better off with Core
[Edited by Mr T]
11-16-03 10:32 AM
Factory Girl Hey Mr. T, that is Layne in my avatar. He was a great singer and AIC were a great band.

And yes, "junkie lead singers will bring down a band."
11-16-03 11:33 AM
Mr T yeah, AIC was really great, damn shame they aren't still around

the junkie thing too is pretty much true - but those 2 singers really brought a lot to their bands. STP had great musicians, but without Scott don't really appeal to me at all - and post Alice in Chains work by Cantrell just isn't the same either. They both had a lot going aside from their drug habits

just read a thing - not sure how true it is - that STP are officially through. Seems like the only one of my favorite bands that hasn't broken up or sold out so bad I don't even care is the one that's been doing it the longest
11-17-03 07:35 AM
Factory Girl Hey Mr. T-agree with you that Jerry's work after AIC is weak. He should get a new singer.

As for Layne-check out Mad Season's cd "Above"-he's on lead vocals. I think you'll like it a lot.

Also, I don't think Layne realized his own greatness (as a singer).

I'm not surprised that STP is over. Lets see how Velvet Revolver does.
11-17-03 07:57 AM
BILL PERKS WEILAND, I READ,IS IN 6 MONTH LOCKDOWN REHAB AFTER DUI LAST MONTH.THIS GUY JUST CANT GET IT TOGETHER.
11-17-03 12:03 PM
Mr T I'm really sad to see the band go. I got into them far too late, but I still have a lot of memories about the band. damn shame. I can't say I'm entirely surprised - but going back to the beginning of the downward spiral (not the real beginning, I mean in the past year) I don't know what went wrong. they talked about how smoothly the recording sessions for Shangri La Dee Da went - did a little touring - and one minute their in preproduction stages for their 6th album (which is where All In The Suit came from) and going on a tour last fall - to going on complete hiatus. this almost brings down the good news Mick gave about wanting to stay on track with the Stones

Weiland is in rehab - they let him out a few hours a day for a couple weeks to finish the album. maybe that's over. I dont know. hopefully he can fix himself up. I wonder how much of the time he told everybody he was clean he actually was

I'm looking forward to Velvet Revolver - but it shouldn't be more than a side project. Weilands got a list of personal probelms: bi polar disorder, drugs, arrests, divorce/kids, STP mudslinging - there's a lot of pressure on the guy. Then there's the rest of the band - like they don't have old grudges against each other. Slash & Co. have a lot of history - and considering that history is from Guns N Roses, that ain't a good thing. Plus, Weiland goes through so many phases - I can't see being in a full time hard rock band as enough to fulfill him. STP had versatility - he had a lot of places he could go when he wanted different vibes - each of their albums has such a different mood. This new band is just gonna be a shallow attitude RnR band - Weiland has so much more potential (though don't get me wrong - Slash as a musician is no step down from the DeLeos)
prove me wrong Scott

I'll check out that Layne thing - but AiC is another of those bands that had magic that wasn't easy to reproduce
11-17-03 12:10 PM
Factory Girl Mr. T-didn't Scott W. had a solo cd?

Mad Season consisted of Layne-vocals, Mike McReady (Pearl Jam), some guy from Screaming Trees and Baker on bass. "Above" cd is very very good.
11-17-03 12:24 PM
jb I loved STP when they first came out...Interstate highway song kicked major ass...they were great..but Weiland's drug addiction just kept getting in the way of their growing...I still think they were one of the best bands of the 90's and it's a shame that they could not keep it going...
11-17-03 12:52 PM
Mr T Scott had a solo album in between Tiny Music & No. 4. I've never heard it all the way through, and don't feel I'm missing out from what I have heard.

He had a second solo album in the works that was origionally planned for release in the spring, but he seems to have completely abandoned that

weird, I was hearing quite a bit about that record making progress
11-17-03 08:28 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Shockspeeder wrote:
Yeah STP for sure look for the album with the swimming pool lady on the cover, there is a song that has JJF-like lyrics and its quite obvious. I tried talking about this a few weeks ago but some lurker named Joey got really confused and mad when I posted some Jumping Jack Flash lyrics.

Well whaddaya know..I'm not the only one who caught the JJF similarity in "Big Bang Baby". "big bang baby, it's a crash crash crash.."
Great tune regardless. STP was a fantastic band as far as I'm concerned,and it's a pity they've hung it up.
11-17-03 10:41 PM
full moon WOW!! I bought Shangri La Dee Da today and it kicks ass..What a nice variety of moods and sounds.. I love it. Regeneration, Wonderful, Coma, Hello It's Late.... Good stuff......
11-17-03 11:28 PM
Mr T your first STP album?

I'm happy for you

I remember the day I picked up that album very fondly

If you like it, don't stop there

I've been listening to Shangri La Dee Da all day
11-17-03 11:33 PM
glencar Man, I always thought of STP were like this generation's Herman's Hermits.
11-17-03 11:36 PM
BILL PERKS THE BAND HAS BEEN INCREDIBLY SUPPORTIVE AND UNDERSTANDING,PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY NEED SCOTT TO KEEP THE POPULARITY UP.HE IS A GREAT SINGER AND LYRIST.I HOPE HE CAN GET GET TOGETHER BEFORE HE KILLS HIMSELF.
11-18-03 11:36 PM
full moon The new cd/dvd set is great. The dvd is over 3 hours long.. Videos, live, bootlegs, picture gallery, etc.. Over 32 songs.. Kick ass.........
11-19-03 05:15 AM
New Barbarian Listened Scott Weiland's solo album 12 Bar Blues the other day for the first time in a couple of years and it was just fantastic. Some really eclectic stuff there. Maybe it's nothing like STP but very good still. If you like STP's weirder bits you should check it out! I'm looking forward to hear Velvet Revolver too, shame that Izzy isn't there though.
11-19-03 07:30 AM
Factory Girl Hey full moonie, what is the name of cd/dvd set? TIA!
11-19-03 08:38 AM
full moon Factory Girl, it is called " Thank You".......
11-19-03 08:55 AM
Factory Girl Thank you, full moonie.