ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The SS 10 Best of 2003 Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-14-03 05:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot Here's my top 10 albums for 2003...ask for 'em for Xmas!

10. Rock N Roll-Ryan Adams
9. Unclassified-Robert Randolph & The Family Band
8. Chain Gang Of Love-The Ravonettes
7. Show Me Your Tears-Frank Black & The Catholics
6. Streetcore-Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
5. Greendale-Neil Young & Crazy Horse
4. Dangerous Magical Noise-The Dirtbombs
3. Youth & Young Manhood-Kings Of Leon
2. When The Man Comes Around-Johnny Cash

And my Album of the Year....

1. Elephant-The White Stripes

Your mileage may vary.

I almost forgot...the Honorable Mentions...in no particular order:

Reality-David Bowie
Take Them On Your Own Terms-Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Noctorama-Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Doll Revolution-The Bangles
The Mindbending Sounds Of-The Chesterfield Kings
Strays-Jane's Addiction
Come Feel Me Tremble-Paul Westerberg
Grandpa Boy-Dead Man Shake
The Wind-Warren Zevon
Birdland-The Yardbirds
Get Born-Jet

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
11-14-03 05:18 PM
Factory Girl Hey Stonesy, what are the results of your recent contest? TIA!

Btw, what are your thoughts on Skull Ring?
11-14-03 05:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh shit! The contest! I forgot! I'll figure something out tonite.

Skull Ring. I like the Stooges songs. The rest is very average. I will probably burn it and then trade it in.

The new Dirtbombs is fantastic however! Dangerous Magical Noise.....INDEED it is!

Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy guitars and Mick Collins is one of my fave singers. The man got boatloads of soul. Boatloads I say!
11-14-03 05:57 PM
hotlicks The new Ryan Adams album is total shit.....not a patch on the awesome Gold.
11-14-03 06:01 PM
hotlicks However i do agree with your album of the year...white stripes rule ok!!!
11-14-03 06:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ahhhhh yes. I figured someone would bring this up.

Ryan Adam's "Rock N Roll" can't be compared to "Gold". Apples and oranges. Rock N Roll ain't meant to be like "Gold"...in fact there's nothing remotely "Americana" or "Aly Country" about it. If RNR were meant to be that type of album, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. It's trad rock/pop. Very well crafted songs, played reasonably well considering our subject. You can definately tell the guy lives in New York now. If you were expecting Gold Pt.2...I can understand why you would be disappointed.

Let's get one thing straight right off the top...I don't care for Ryan Adams the personality. From everythingt I've seen or read...he's a real jerk. But I gotta give credit when it's due...the guy writes some cool tunes, and he can't really be pigeonholed into a specific category. Ryan Adams the musician I like.

11-14-03 09:09 PM
Gazza didnt Cash's album come out in 2002?

i think the 5-cd boxed set comin up will be the best of 2003

it wasnt a great year for albums. I liked warren zevon's and i like what i've heard of lucinda williams and bowie's but unlike last year where there were a few terrific ones like Bruce, the Chili peppers and Cash, there werent any real classics IMO
11-14-03 09:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gary...

P&C 2003 American Recordings LLC.

At least that's what it says on my copy.
11-15-03 02:53 AM
fmk438j
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
...I don't care for Ryan Adams the personality. From everythingt I've seen or read...he's a real jerk.

I agree on this.

I (regrettably) got a hold of a boot of one of his shows. No joke, the guy talks more than he plays. Between every song he goes on and on with these anecdotes and wisecracks.

It sounded like he thought the audience must be so in love with him that they'd be gripped by all this 'kooky' dribble.

The show would have been half the length were it not for his self-indulgent goofing.
11-15-03 07:20 AM
Nellcote
[Edited by Nellcote]
11-15-03 07:20 AM
Nellcote HIJACK ALERT...............

WARNING, ATTEMPTS TO DELETE THIS POST WILL BE MET WITH EXTREME "PAIN"

With all respect to SS,(you can administer canings to myself on Monday) I have put forth my top ten albums, yes albums of the early 70's. It's reunion weekend, and your humble correspondent is holding forth the hospitality suite at the local Holiday Inn for a Rockin Saturday night.
Find me, you will take part in it. Anyways, break out your best old beat up Boy Scout or ESSO Gas Station attendant garb, get out a bottle of Annie Green Springs, followed by a big bottle of Tango, then one GI of Maximus Super, get yer ass over and get ready to ROCK!

10. Lynyrd Skynyrd-Second Helping
9. Stones-Goats Head Soup
8. Foghat-Fool For The City
7. J Geils Band-Bloodshot
6. Led Zeppelin-IV
5. Stones-Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
4. Stones-Sticky Fingers
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd-One More From The Road
2. J Geils Band-Blow Your Face Out
And,
The Number 1 Nellcote Class Reunion Weekend Album...
1. Stones-Exile On Main St

Yes, we are primed and ready!
Ignition Sequence Ready
Harmonica In Place
BLASTOFF!!!!!!!!!!SEE YA!

[Edited by Nellcote]
11-15-03 07:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot Nelly!

I put this post up so that the very thing that you did would happen. I figured people would either try to argue with me about my selections, or they'd put up their own top 10.

Either way works for me.
11-15-03 08:09 AM
Nellcote SS, I really wanted the caning, you know, as I will have some spring left in my step from the weekend, not only for tonight, but after the 2002 Super Bowl Champion NE Patriots whup Billy Idol Parcells tomorrow night, and I will need to be put in my place for work on Monday. Do not dissapoint. BTW, WTF, no JET on yo list?
11-15-03 08:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot Jet is good. But I can't put everything on my list.

I suggest you take up your caning issues with one of our fabulous fem posters.

I'm not into guys. Not that there's anything wrong with that...if that's what you are into. I'm the straight eye for the queer guy.
11-15-03 08:27 AM
Nellcote No, caning is for discipline reasons. I do not have time for man-man matters. Bring me Raquel Welch from 1000 yrs BC, please right now! BTW,I bet McNabb made Ol' Rush relapse after last Monday night's great win!
11-15-03 09:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot It's just further proof that Rush Limbaugh hasn't a clue.

You know, Rush was quoted as saying that anyone who abuses drugs should be locked up. I'm wondering...when Rush gets out of rehab, is he gonna march straight to the police station to turn himself in?

I hope he gets a cell with 4 big, black, hung, Donavan McNabb fans.
11-15-03 09:06 AM
Nellcote Mr Pumpkin Head should get all he deserves, however, I find a certain apathy about his matter. Other than a headline or two on Drudge, because Drudge folks have filled in for him, Monday will be big, however, I suspect Rush will escape any rath due to the many Hilton videos which are to surface. Time for him to crawl back to the cave from whence he came. Sometimes these types just do not know when it is time. WTF was ESPN thinking?
11-16-03 06:06 PM
Gazza >Gary...
P&C 2003 American Recordings LLC.

says 2002 on mine!!! maybe yours is the newer version with the "Hurt" video on it? I got my CD when it came out and the video isnt on that version?
11-16-03 06:18 PM
stewed & Keefed Horse of the Dog
Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster
11-16-03 06:26 PM
littleredrooster McNABB LEARNED from Rush's plight.................

he went to the 'Chunky Soup Treatment Center', now he's off that shit !!

The results are predictable, the curse is broken.
Watch out SUBWAY!!
11-16-03 08:05 PM
CousinCocaine
SS, - I agree on Ryan Adams and to me his haunting Brown Sugar version is one of the most moving and deeply felt Stones covers ever.
And the last 2-3 years have brought back some real nice RnRoll bands/music . .
bye
CC
11-17-03 10:24 AM
jb I can honestly say I have not heard of any of the albums you listed. I guess I am the last of a dying breed, a true stones fan, who is not interested in the pseudo-intellectual crap mentioned herein.
11-17-03 10:54 AM
Joey

I personally have no use for any of those " Twenty -Something Asshole Bands " listed .

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky !
11-17-03 11:00 AM
KeepRigid
quote:
Gazza wrote:
says 2002 on mine!!! maybe yours is the newer version with the "Hurt" video on it?

Yes, it originally came out in November 2002.
11-17-03 12:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hmmmm.

You know what? I don't care if it did come out in 2002, I'm leaving it where it is. It belongs there, you know? My copy says 2003, I bought it in 2003, I got infatuated with it in 2003, it has won 2003 awards, Johnny left us in 2003....as far as I'm concerned "When The Man Comes Around" is a 2003 album.
11-17-03 12:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh and jb...as far as you only listening to the Stones...well all I can say is that you are very very foolish to close your mind like that. It's not cool. In fact, if you told members of the Stones that you only ever listen to their music, they'd fucking laugh you out of the room.

In fact if being that big of a fool is making you a "dying breed", then we have good things to look forward to when you are gone. What day exactly is it that you are gonna die? I need to mark my calender.

11-17-03 12:30 PM
jb The day you send me "72 touring party"...
11-17-03 12:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've told you repeatedly that all you have to do is send me the blanks. It's not my fault that you can't take 5 minutes out of your life to send me 7 blanks.

Get your sec to do it for you. Send the blanks that is...
11-17-03 12:38 PM
jb I know SS....you have been more than generous....
11-17-03 12:43 PM
Martha I can't do top ten lists..I don't like to compare. But, I can say that these albums caught my attention in the last year. That is when I got turned on to them ( or went deeper into them) in no particular order of release dates or anything else...

Lucinda Williams "World Without Tears"
Warren Zevon "The Wind"
Allman Brothers "Hittin' the Note" (This is excellent anyone else here groovin' to it perchance?)
White Stripes Live in Asheville, NC (thanks Nasty!!!)
Johnny Cash "The Man Comes Around"
John Mellencamp "Trouble No More" (My ex did it up right on this one...check it out if you haven't already!)
Steve Earle "Transcendental Blues"
Jackson Browne "The Naked Ride Home"
David Bowie "Reality"
Mick Taylor "Live 11/18/00 (thanks Staffan)
Stones "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus" ( a real gem)
Bob Dylan's "Time Out of Mind" and" Love and Theft"
Willie Nelson & Friends "Stars and Guitars"
The Who "Live at Leeds"
The Boss "The Rising"

Ok, I'll stop ....for now.....but I might be back.

Great thread Stonesy! Extra xxoo's to you!

Martha

Page: 1 2