ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡ Saludos de Emilia !
Stones by Ethan Russell, Voodoo Doll with Ethan's by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "WINTER" Return to archive
11-20-02 12:38 AM
GLIMTWIN I would have loved to see Mick n da boyz do WINTER yeah sure been a long cold winter yeah
11-20-02 12:57 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
GLIMTWIN wrote:
I would have loved to see Mick n da boyz do WINTER yeah sure been a long cold winter yeah

As I've said before, definately one of the most neglected Stones ballads, still maybe the guys just don't like it.
11-20-02 05:54 AM
luxury1 YES-it has always been one of my favorite ballads also. Love Mick's vocal
11-20-02 09:33 AM
Fiji Joe Have you guys heard the version with Mick Taylor and Carla Olsen?...very nice...12 minutes of excellent guitar work
11-20-02 11:27 AM
T&A Taylor and Olson recorded two versions of Winter - they were trying to figure a way to release both...so far, only the one.

I've always liked Winter, too, but have never really expected the Stones would perform it live (I realize it was rehearsed this year). Musically, its structure is incredibly similar to YCAGWYW, and it will never quite hold up to it's lofty status in the Stones' canon. Plus, although RW is holding up well on the tour, any solo he would be capable of applying to the tune could never hold up to MT's, so why bother?
11-20-02 03:35 PM
woodywoodpecker Hey T&A,
I'm not going to get involved in another Wood/Taylor dispute, but isnt Ronnie kicking the ass off one of Taylor's finest moments CYHMK? Taylor fans are holding on
to a few Taylor moments that Woody could shatter your little ol hearts if need be. And another thing lets see Taylor take Woodys spot and play Solo's like Black Limo for eg" Taylor couldnt even weave his way through any songs the Woody's played on Beast of Burden another eg.

So Taylor fans reverse the rolls and I think you will be suprised with your outcome.

GO WOODY!!!!!
11-20-02 03:40 PM
100 Years Ago they played it during tour rehearsals would be interesting to hear it, love the song but like on Sway wasn't this Mick & Mick, no Keith?
11-20-02 03:44 PM
Fiji Joe Wood...Taylor...just depends on what mood you're in
11-20-02 03:45 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Wood...Taylor...just depends on what mood you're in

very wise words Fiji!!! Very wise
11-20-02 04:11 PM
jb Taylor , needless to say, inspired the greatest albums in rock history..SF, Exile.IORR, Goats Head Soup..
11-20-02 04:36 PM
Fiji Joe Great JB, you pull that out of the Big Book of Quotes about the Rolling Stones?
11-20-02 04:37 PM
T&A I'm a big fan of both RW and MT - RW is doing admirably well this tour on CYHMK. He is taking the general solo structure that MT devised and running with it in his own inimitable style.

My point on Winter is that the MT solo is not one I think Woody would be prone to try to imitate well. Perhaps he would take it in a whole different direction...dunno. But, I just happen to think it's a song best left alone, frankly.

The best way to contrast RW and MT is that RW is a better rocker as a lead guitarist - he practically wrote the book on the style while with the Faces. MT is more of a blues/jazz stylist. RW can't and shouldn't try to improv like MT. Similarly, MT never quite sounds comfortable trying to "rock out" - which is probably why he avoids this genre altogether these days.
11-20-02 04:40 PM
jb No Fj..that was from my own book of quotes...also...MT rocks out more than Woody could ever hope to...
11-20-02 05:28 PM
Honky Tonk Man Mick Taylor was just a poof with a dodgy perm. Im sorry, the guy was a great guitarist but he just isn't rock'n'roll like Ronnie. Image is EVERYTHING!

Alex
11-20-02 07:03 PM
T&A Well, JB - maybe you and I have different definitions on what is rock'n'roll. In my book Chuck Berry is the very foundation of rock'n'roll, and there's no way you can tell me MT can handle a CB tune better than RW. MT never even tries the genre, as well he shouldn't. Meanwhile, Ronnie plays some of the nastiest Chuck Berry guitar known to mankind - Sweet Little Rock'n'Roller, Outlaws, Where the Boys Go...just for starters.