ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guns 'n' Roses Nov. 17/06 (actually very early on Nov. 18!) Return to archive
18th November 2006 08:09 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Caution: This review is being written after 3 hours sleep (boy will it be a long day at work today!!!)

Setlist:

1. Welcome To the Jungle
2. Its So Easy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Live & Let Die
5. Robin Finck Solo
6. Sweet Child O'mine
7. You Could Be Mine
8. Knocking of Heaven's Door
9. Better
10. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Neil Young's Like A Hurricane)
11. The Blues
12. Axl and crowd sing Happy birthday to Richard
13. Richard Fortus solo (Christina Aguilera's Beautiful)
14. Out To Get Me
15. November Rain
16. Ron Bumblefoot guitar solo (O Canada/Don't Cry)
17. My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach)
18. Used to love her
19. Patience
20. Nightrain

Encore:

21. IRS
22. Madagascar
23. Paradise City

After a lot of fretting about this show (would Axl show and if he did, would he put on a good show), all I've got to say is: "Wow!". Not only did he show up but he was definitely on and a in a great mood! No rants, just a great show all together!

There was great music, a great light show, pyro and strippers!

The first band (didn't get their name) played for about a 1/2 hour and then came the first surprise of the night: the Suicide Girls, a burlesque review (ok, strippers if you will). They entertained us for about a 1/2 hour to 45min with a show centered around some classic rock songs (Darling Nikki from Prince, Stuck In the Middles with You - Stealers Wheel, Black Betty - Ram Jam and AC/DC's Hells Bells). Got lots of hooting and hollering from the crowd (not completely topless, they were wearing pasties (as well as bottles of water and chocolate syrup!).

The second band was Sebastian Bach (the former lead singer of Skid Row). Apparently, he has a speech impediment which causes him to say fuck (or some variation thereof) every second word. Anyway, played a set of Skid Row tunes which led us to our second surprise of the night: the Trailer Park Boys. For those of you who are not Canadian, the Trailer Park Boys are kind of hard to describe so I'll just leave it at that (for you Canadians, no explanation needed). Let's just say that the TPB got a bigger ovation then Mr. Bach did. They led the band and the crowd in a singalong of Rush's Closer to the Heart and a rousing rendition of Liquor and Whores (at least I think that was what we were singing!)

Finally, Axl and company took the stage at about midnight and for 2+ hours rocked the house! I was wondering how the band would sound and let me just say this: While they might not have the look of the classic GNR, they do have the sound and then some!

Opened with Welcome to the Jungle and for the first hour, hit us with one hit after the other.

Highlights include:

- keyboard player Dizzy Reed's solo set in which he played an instrumental version of Neil Young's Like a Hurricane

- Robin Finck and Richard Fortus' solo which featured Christina Aguilera's Beautiful (don't laugh, it worked!)

- Bumblefoot's Jimi Hendrix-like version of O Canada (which got the crowd up and singing) as well as an instrumental version of Don't Cry

- Axl and Sebastian Bach duetting on My Michelle

As I've said before, Axl was in a real good mood, laughing and joking. Just before the encore, the Trailer Park Boys re-emerged on stage and led us all in a chant of "Guns 'n' Roses!" after which they emerged, Axl said something like: "Man, you guys take real pride in the Trailer Park Boys! If you turned them loose on the rest of the world, that would fuck all of us up!!!"

Anyway, when everything was said and done, the show was over at 2:20 am with the band playing for well over 2 hours. And for those wondering about the new material, I've got to say: It sounds like GNR and has made me want to start scouring the GNR section for Chinese Democracy when it does come out (Best new song had to be Better and with IRS a close second (out of the four they played).

I am so glad that I decided to go to this show because frankly, I thought i was going to get hosed big time, but GNR delivered tonight!

Hopefully, this little review will help those of you who are sitting on the fence (like I was) about going to see this band. All I gotta say is: "Go for it, you won't regret it!".

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
18th November 2006 12:53 PM
mrhipfl Dammit! I should have seen them when they came to Tampa. I feel like I missed out. I'm glad it was a great show and you had fun, though.
18th November 2006 06:40 PM
sweetcharmedlife Exactly where do you see them mowat?
I saw them a couple months ago, in a warmup show for this tour, at a small theatre in San Francisco. We did'nt get any strippers (maybe that's a good thing here), but everything else you said pretty much applies. Good show, after a long wait, they came on about 11. Sebastian BAch opened and said fuck a lot and sang with GNR. I won tickets to see them on the radio, and am going back to see them in Oakland in Dec.
18th November 2006 06:46 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
Exactly where do you see them mowat?
I saw them a couple months ago, in a warmup show for this tour, at a small theatre in San Francisco. We did'nt get any strippers (maybe that's a good thing here), but everything else you said pretty much applies. Good show, after a long wait, they came on about 11. Sebastian BAch opened and said fuck a lot and sang with GNR. I won tickets to see them on the radio, and am going back to see them in Oakland in Dec.

Ottawa's Scotiabank Place
18th November 2006 07:18 PM
lotsajizz I'm up to Halifax to see them on Monday!! Second of the tour...I decided after seeing the the last time...they can BRING IT!!!

IZZY--

New Interview With Izzy:
We recently sent a couple of questions to Izzy Stradlin and heres what he had to say:

Q. Hows life treating you at the moment?

Izzy: Life is good at the moment, I am alive.

Q: Obviously a lot of fans would like to ask various questions on the GnR tour. Anything you feel comfortable telling us would be appreciated...how it came about, your reaction to getting that first telephone call inviting you, any future plans with the band....?

Izzy: I spent my summer vacation touring w /Axl`s new gnr and had some fun playin live again. Amazing fans out there.... it's hard to believe at times.fantastic! GNR tour: Axl and I connected via cell phone this year, I stopped bye to see if he looked as old as he might be............ Same age as myself, you know and he looked great! It was nice to reconnect with an old friend/war buddy/fellow musician. I told him later I'd like to join the fun in some way and he said I was welcome to come and play something, so I did! Took me about 3 weeks to recover from the 6 weeks of touring!!!!

Q: Finally, everytime we catch up we ask the obligatory "do you have any plans for a solo tour anytime/place?". We thought we would be slightly more vague this time and throw you the following: "Any cool plans for the future?"

Izzy: I will let you know if any future stuff comes up....today I am just happy to finally have my last 10 years of solo work made available [thru "i tunes"] to people who may have an interest....... .over and out, Izzy

leaving at 4 AM for Halifax tomorrow!!!

[Edited by lotsajizz]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)