ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stanley Jordan - Finale - St. Louis - Nov. 2, 2006 Return to archive
14th November 2006 08:07 AM
Barney Fife Stanley Jordan is a complete freak. But he’s the kind of freak that every guitar player – and many other musicians – should see. Music lovers of many varieties can enjoy and relish his out-of-this-world technique. In case you don’t know, Jordan, who has been on the national scene almost 25 years – is one of the foremost innovators of what guitarists call “tapping” technique. That means if you are a right—handed guitarist and you normally fret with your left and pick with your right, you would tap the strings with fingers from your right hand at specific frets.

Stanley started playing piano as a small child and then took up guitar at age 11. You can view him as playing piano on guitar, playing chords with the left hand and melodies with the right. My sister had giving me a Stanley Jordan album for Christmas about 20 years ago, but I had never seen him in concert, so this was a real treat. Although he didn’t do a lot of between song bantering, what he did talk about regarding musical structure was very interesting to me.

So he played jazz and some old pop standards like “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” and a Mozart tune that was killer, and then he played some original outer space stuff on which probably nobody else could ever jam with him. He admitted he like to push the limits on that tune. But the real pull-out-all-stops part of the show for me was when he took his guitar over to the baby grand piano on stage, sat down and proceeded to play guitar with his left hand and piano with his right hand. Then he switched and played piano with his left hand and guitar with his right.

You have to see it to believe it. Tickets were $25 at this excellent, but non-snooty jazz venue in the rich suburb of Clayton, Mizzousierland, USA.
14th November 2006 09:49 AM
BILL PERKS HE'S FANTASTIC
16th November 2006 09:07 AM
Barney Fife Right you are, Perky.

I wonder what percentage of readers of this board are familiar with the playing of Mr. Jordan.
16th November 2006 12:25 PM
Dan You can get tickets to his Long Beach show thru ticket liquidator "Goldstar Events" for $5.
16th November 2006 09:32 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
Dan wrote:
You can get tickets to his Long Beach show thru ticket liquidator "Goldstar Events" for $5.

Take the children and all musicians.
16th November 2006 10:29 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Right you are, Perky.

I wonder what percentage of readers of this board are familiar with the playing of Mr. Jordan.

For anyone who isn't....there are plenty of vids on youtube and other sites that will amaze you!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)