ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stone Top 500 Return to archive
November 17th, 2004 12:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Like a Rolling Stone' Named No. 1 Song

NEW YORK - Rolling Stone magazine has named the top 500 songs of all time in its new issue, and, well, the No. 1 song isn't exactly a complete unknown.

Bob Dylan 's "Like A Rolling Stone" tops the list, compiled from votes by 172 critics and musicians that included Brian Wilson , Joni Mitchell, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and others � in a special issue that hits newsstands Friday.

"No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time, for all time," writes David Fricke, a senior editor of Rolling Stone.

Following Dylan is the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," John Lennon (news)'s "Imagine," Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" and "Aretha Franklin's "Respect."

"It's worth noting that "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Satisfaction" were recorded within a month of each other," Fricke told The Associated Press Wednesday. "It says a lot about how fast pop music was moving at that time."

Rounding out the top ten are "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry (news), the Beatles' "Hey Jude," Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Ray Charles' "What'd I Say."

No one makes the chart more than (surprise, surprise) the Beatles, who have 23 tunes on the list. The Rolling Stones have 14 hits, and Dylan 12.

Though the list is heavy on the `50s, `60s and `70s (voters were told to focus on "the rock 'n' roll era"), the most recent song is 2003's "Hey Ya!" by Outkast, charting at no. 180.

Squeaking in as the 500th all-time best song is Boston's "More Than a Feeling."

http://www.rollingstone.com

November 17th, 2004 12:14 PM
BILL PERKS HEY YA IS GARBAGE
November 17th, 2004 12:15 PM
LadyJane I am very happy with this...as the Beatles did NOT make the Top 5!!!

jb
I mean, LJ.
November 17th, 2004 12:17 PM
Nellcote Jann Wenner digs the Stones. He gave Goddess a five star review. He must have had some in on this. And Dylan must be his Allah..
November 17th, 2004 12:22 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
HEY YA IS GARBAGE

Seriously, who in the heck is going to pick up that Outkast album in 10 years? No one -- rap/hip-hop albums barely make it in the long run. They can be huge sellers when they come out, but they'll eventually dry up and collect dust. You can even make that argument for the type of rock music that is being released today. Hot now, but what about later? Nothin'!
November 17th, 2004 12:25 PM
caro Wow - a year of groundbreaking Rolling Stone issues :

january : 100 best albums of all time
feb. : 200 best albums of all time
march : 300 best albums of all time
april: 197 best songs of all time
may: 198 best songs of all time (we'd forgotten one the last time around)
june : 100 best Rolling Stone lists
july : 100 best live album overdubs
august : 100 best Beatles albums
september : 100 worst summer hits (free CD included)
october : 500 most average love songs
november : 50 best wardrobe malfunctions
december : The RS team ran out of ideas. Giant poster of Avril Lavigne with Santa hat.
November 17th, 2004 12:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well, lists are important these days, very important.
November 17th, 2004 02:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
caro wrote:
Wow - a year of groundbreaking Rolling Stone issues :

january : 100 best albums of all time
feb. : 200 best albums of all time
march : 300 best albums of all time
april: 197 best songs of all time
may: 198 best songs of all time (we'd forgotten one the last time around)
june : 100 best Rolling Stone lists
july : 100 best live album overdubs
august : 100 best Beatles albums
september : 100 worst summer hits (free CD included)
october : 500 most average love songs
november : 50 best wardrobe malfunctions
december : The RS team ran out of ideas. Giant poster of Avril Lavigne with Santa hat.

LOL...they seem to be doing almost - but not quite - as many meaningless "List" editions as "Q" magazine (the regularity of which is a surefire sign of a magazine woefully short on good writers)- the problem is, that "Q" comes out monthly and RS comes out every two weeks.

No arguments about that number 1 choice from me!!! Good top ten too.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 17th, 2004 07:03 PM
Soldatti I agree with the Top 10, don't know about the rest...
November 17th, 2004 09:16 PM
Lavendar These lists are Way outta Control! Where's Zeppelin? I have no clue how they came up with such a list.? Must of been 1 persons list! LOL
November 17th, 2004 11:49 PM
glencar They need to take that shitty "Imagine" song off all these "best-of" lists. God, it sucks!