ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie's site Return to archive
November 17th, 2004 10:03 AM
FotiniD I've just been over to David Bowie's site and I get the distinct impression it was designed and maintained by the same guys who did RS.com. The design aspects are pretty much the same, as well as the way the site's organized, but what's worst of all is the fact that MOST OF THE SITE AIN'T FOR FREE!!! You got to pay to read a journal they have, and to see pictures of David and they even got the virtual ticket thing going on!!!

Pathetic, simply pathetic. An official site's purpose is to inform and / or advertise and I don't see the point of paying to read / access promotion stuff!!! It's ridiculous!
November 17th, 2004 10:08 AM
Gazza I think they had the priority ticket deal going long before the Stones did (to the best of my knowledge, Prince may have been the first artist to do that)

Plus, Bowie himself takes more of a role in organising it , to the best of my knowledge..

and the annual fee is MUCH less than the sick joke that is rs.com
November 17th, 2004 10:12 AM
FotiniD Alright, but I still don't get the "pay for the site" concept. An official site is by definition a form of advertisement. You don't pay to see a commercial.
November 17th, 2004 10:21 AM
caro On the subject of official sites... I came across a thread about Britney Spears on another board, and it had me rolling on the floor. Here are some excerpts :

>>Im not sure wether anyone else has heard about this, but today on britneyspears.com, members are able to read a letter she recently wrote called 'my letter of truth, can you handle it'
apparently it reveals EVERYTHING that you could ever want to know about her.....all her secrets and thoughts
------------------------------------

>>"Joining Information
Memberships are $24.98 (U.S. dollars) for U.S. and Canadian residents for 12 months. Memberships are $29.98 (U.S. dollars) for residents outside the U.S. and Canada for 12 months. The sooner you join, the earlier your membership will be dated."

Well, I'm outta the game. I was kind of interested though!
--------------------------------------

>>This is random, this girl needs more attention than a suicide teenager
---------------------------------------

>>The UK edition of OK magazine contains an expanded version of the post-wedding interview that appeared in People mag.
(...)

What do you want to do?
Britney: You'll see. If you wouldn't mind making a note to read the column on my website this week because I wrote a letter to all my fans that I think they need to read. We are going to put it on the website. It's called 'The Letter Of Truth: I Hope You Can Handle It'. It is the most amazing letter I have ever written. It was a life changing letter for me and I just want my fans to read it.

When did you write the letter?
Kevin: Everyday for the last week and a half
Britney: I feel like I am at Harvard!
--------------------------------------------------

>>It's 8:12 pm on the east coast. Past business hours, and they still haven't updated the official site. I'm going to keep waiting to see if they put it up today. Just letting ya know....I talked to someone in her management today expressing my concern about how un-ethical it was to charge fans to read this letter (by forcing membership fees to those that aren't part of the club) and they just said 'Once you read the letter, it'll answer all your questions'
--------------------------------------------

>>...THE LETTER!

Dear Fans,

I am going to start writing this column now as often as possible. The reason being is so I can talk directly to you, my fans, who have stuck by me & who continue to support me. Also, I'm not going to be as busy as my Mom. She's running behind my sister like crazy! I am also going to take some time off to enjoy life. I've actually learned to say "NO!" With this newly found freedom, its like people don't know how to act around me. Should we talk to her like we did when she was 16 or like the Icon everyone says she is? My prerogative right now is to just chill & let all of the other overexposed blondes on the cover of Us Weekly be your entertainment... GOOD LUCK GIRLS!! I'm sorry that my life seemed like it was all over the place the past 2 years, it's probably because IT WAS! I understand now what they mean when they talk about child stars. Going & going & going is all I've ever know since I was 15 years old. It's amazing what advisors will push you to do, even if it means taking a naive young blonde girl & putting her on the cover of every magazine.

I know now that my knee gave out on me this past summer so that I would have no choice but to stop. My body was shutting down and needed rest. Its funny how the Man upstairs works. Right now, I have to go-- I really want to watch "Saved" with Mandy Moore and re-runs of Sex and the City. I want to enjoy all of the simple things that I missed over the past few years due to working way too much.

Being married is GREAT and I can't wait to start my family! There is so much change going on right now... not only with me, but in the world, as well. So, the next time you see my face, hear one of my songs or even if I'm the topic of your next conversation, please remember that times are changing & so am I.

Love always,
Britney

PS I look forward to writing you all again soon. Kevin and I are finally able to take our Honeymoon!!
--------------------------------------------

>>THAT was the Letter? No way.

I thought she spent a WEEK writing it. Are you f-ing kidding me?
----------------------------------------------

>>I'll laugh non-stop for a good ten minutes if I find out that that actually is the letter...
-----------------------------------------------

whole thread here
[Edited by caro]
November 17th, 2004 10:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Alright, but I still don't get the "pay for the site" concept. An official site is by definition a form of advertisement. You don't pay to see a commercial.

that I'd agree with. A small fee isnt a bad thing for guaranteed first crack at tickets though* so I can understand PART of a site being off limits for non members

* ie, thats if there ARE going to be shows available to sell tickets FOR, (plus good seats and not shitty ones) before you take the money off people! Not mentioning any names of course
November 17th, 2004 11:28 AM
Dan I am pretty sure its David Bowie's company (Ultrastar?) that designed and managed the STones site.