ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones are over. Who's the greatest now? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 16th, 2004 07:22 PM
Gimme Shelter
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The Stones are over???

I must not have got the memo.

So now who is the greatest rock n roll band on the planet...that is the question, right?

Answer: The Rolling Stones.

Duh.

Always was, always will be.

Enough Said.
November 16th, 2004 07:59 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Jair wrote:
I don't know.

You got that right!
November 16th, 2004 08:25 PM
corgi37 I'm too depressed to think about it. Music sucks. And has done since 97.

As for greatest now? How can you go past U2? Makes me cry to think about it. Then again, i felt the same way when KISS really got big in late 70's. Once again, their success was compared to the Stones. Led Zep too. Ac/Dc maybe? Nirvana? Guns and Roses - Again, compared to the Stones in terms of style, actions and success.

However, to correct an earlier post. The Beatles were a POP band, not a rock band. And, in regard to POP bands, ABBA have sold more records than the Beatles. Most Yanks dont realise that. Well, they did prior to Anthology anyway.

And, Plastic Bertrand! Man, what memories! He was one of the biggest 1 hit wonders over here in my sunburnt country. I would imagine he's loaded! So is the singer from Flock of Seagulls. I've mentioned him before. He lives in Florida. Has a mammoth yacht, a mammoth pony tail, a mammoth home studio and a bikini model wife with the most mammoth tits i have seen. I saw it all on that VH1 "1 hit wonders" show hosted by William Shatner.

P.S. Nah, fuck em all. My Stonies always have been - and always will be, the greatest. See, i've perked up now. Happened while i was writing this post. Fuck the rest, Stones are best. More to come too!

God knows how "good" it will be though.
November 16th, 2004 08:32 PM
kath joey...honey..check that dosage, will ya? may be a little bit low.....
November 16th, 2004 08:36 PM
SirMuddy Keith once said:
"Every night there's a new greatest rock'n'roll on earth,
and sometime it's us"

Jah Keef Jah Keef

Plastic Bertrand was big here in Qu�bec with "Stop ou encore", nice pink hair...
November 16th, 2004 08:42 PM
tumbling dice Jair,
Fuck off! Can you look at Mick's dick in the next tour.
The Stones aren't over!
November 16th, 2004 08:45 PM
Soldatti Let's see:
Top bands on the last 10 years or so...

ROLLING STONES
#1 band, that's sure: 2 studio albums, both sold together 10,000.000 copies + a 6 million seller compilation + 1 decent live CD that sold 3.5 m. and another 2 with very poor sales + 3 world tours with an attendance of 6.5 millions / 5.7 millions and 3.4 million people, 15+ million total people and $1000 millions gross.

U2
The other big competition, 3 big sellers albums and two tours with high gross + media-overated with hundred of awards and shit like that. The favorite "old" band for critics and young people.

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
The other high competition but this is a "new" band for me.

KISS
This is the example for nostalgia act, only 1 album in 10 years, never ending tours, 5 compilations each year...

AC/DC
2 studio albums since 1995, great tours, they are very good for me but not a real competition here, just my opinion.

AEROSMITH
3 studio albums in 10 years, they are big in America/Japan but in Europe they not get impact.

If we see the numbers the Stones are ahead, they only need new albums more often, that's all.
November 17th, 2004 03:57 AM
L&A
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Oh yeah, Plastic Bertrand is one of the three Belgians that nearly everyone in the world blames France for!

I remember last year when Guillaume Durand (French television) made a special TV-show for David Bowie. Guillaume Durand spoke about the French singer Jacques Brel, and the great David corrected him immediately: "You French people always say Brel is French when he is Belgian".
Since that day, Bowie is a national hero in Belgium

And, Monkey Woman, don't forget Johnny (Smet) Hallyday, lol

Hi, Ju, tout va bien ?
November 17th, 2004 04:40 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
L&A wrote:

Hi, Ju, tout va bien ?

yes yes i m ok
November 17th, 2004 05:03 AM
F505 Great Belgians: Simenon, Herge, Adolphe Sax, Jacques Brel, Arno, Horta.....
November 17th, 2004 05:18 AM
FotiniD
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I'm too depressed to think about it. Music sucks. And has done since 97.

Not ALL music sucks. Not all music is Britney and cheap stuff.
So regardless of this thread's topic, just a few examples of music I consider good - just imo, but anyway:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great, great band. Can't say enough about how good they are.

The Coral are nice - so what if they sound too sixties? Who said that was bad? The Stones were heavily influenced by the blues, I didn't see anyone complaining. Sixties music, the Stones and all the scene, are this generation's influences, so it's only natural it will come out in their sound. And it sounds fresh, even with that hint of "nostalgia". Nostalgia is a wrong word. Anyway, you get the picture.

The Killers are quite good. This whole movement of new musicians and bands who take the best of "older" music, mix in newer stuff and create something unique. I like them. I just wonder what the future will be for them, and I hope it's gonna be good.

Lucky Jim make wonderful music, even if they're not widely appreciated / known.

Just a few examples I could think of now. Not all hope is lost
Page: 1 2