ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: dont stop clip vs new U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 9th, 2004 07:33 AM
corgi37 Fucking hell, they are killing us. Hit album, 3rd release or so (maybe 4th, not sure) since bridges, and a killer clip to a not bad song. Makes them look awesome and powerful (much what i thought love is strong clip did for our mates).

But, what about the last thing we can compare to?

Dont stop - Gotta be, hands down, not just the worst Stones clip, but worst clip EVER by a major act.

Not that the song was exactly "Satisfaction" in importance, but sheesh, it was so crap!

Then, U2 release a new cd that garners very good reviews, sells like a Paris Hilton video, and what do we get?

Live Licks.

Game. Set. Match.

I fear for what the next Stones "product" may be like.

Maybe "Dont Stop pt2" - the 12" mix?
November 9th, 2004 05:04 PM
egon
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Maybe "Dont Stop pt2" - the 12" mix?

may god help us all
November 9th, 2004 05:07 PM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:

may god help us all

Egon..........................You Drunk Yet ?!?!?!

Joey Ewing ( The Human Oil Slick ! ) �
November 9th, 2004 05:11 PM
egon joey,

does a one legged duck swim in circles?
November 9th, 2004 05:22 PM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
joey,

does a one legged duck swim in circles?

Egon .....................................

You make Joey laugh like Hell .

" Jaggerbomb Me Ronnie ! "

Joey Ewing ! �
November 9th, 2004 06:22 PM
Some Guy

U2 will not bring forward the online release of the band's new album, following news that it has leaked onto the Internet, Macworld has learned.

U2 representatives told Macworld: "At present there is no plan to bring the album release date forward."

Last night it emerged that the new album - 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' - has appeared on Internet file-sharing networks two weeks before it is due to go on sale, thus dismissing the possibility of its earlier debut on iTunes. The Irish rock band has been due to release the album on November 22 in Europe.

The reason for speculation that U2 would release the album early on iTunes is based on U2's vow that it would do so, if the album was spotted on peer-to-peer services before its official release.

In July a tape containing rough tracks from the upcoming album was stolen during a photo shoot in the south of France. At the time Bono told The Telegraph: "If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month. It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention f**king up our holidays. But once it's out, it's out."

The relationship between U2 and Apple -- with the launch of the U2 iPod and The Complete U2; 400 U2s tracks -- would suggest that a pre-release of the album on iTunes is possible. However, the statement from U2 would suggest that this will not happen.
November 9th, 2004 07:38 PM
ResidentMule "Game. Set. Match."

...not really

why are we comparing the Stones to this shit band? they've had half the career of the Stones ('half' as far as time, from any other perspective I'd have to be much less generous), and STILL spent the better part of the 90's that were to them what Dirty Work and Emotional Rescue were to the Stones (Zooropa? Pop? what the fuck were those - those albums could've used a tune as good as Harlem Shuffle on them). for a 40 year old band, I for one am happy we can even expect a new album, let alone hold any other band to the standard or Let It Bleed, Exile Of Main Street, Tattoo You, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, and Beggars Banquet. you know, Bon Jovi's come out with just as many releases as U2 since Bridges to Babylon, and I'd be surprised if they did sell better. guess what, they're still shit.

all of a sudden U2 makes a comeback with All You Can't Leave Behind just proving they can still write pop songs - and their now the greatest band in the world? please. pick a better band for the title if your gonna sit here & bitch about the Stones getting their asses kicked. at least the Red Hot Chili Peppers are taking their music to new places and still going strong after 20 years - but not all their songs song the same like U2

oh yeah, and Vertigo sucks
November 9th, 2004 07:40 PM
KeithRichardsgrl
November 9th, 2004 08:44 PM
White House Lawn I always just think of The Stones as The Stones. Never really understood the comparison thing--so many folks who have to have a Stones OR Beatles mindset. It's all apples and oranges, 'natch!

[Edited by White House Lawn]
November 9th, 2004 08:45 PM
Soldatti
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
oh yeah, and Vertigo sucks

and Don't Stop video sucks twice.
November 9th, 2004 11:55 PM
White House Lawn If I were a U2 fan, I'd certainly spring for the U2-branded iPod. I wish that Apple would do a Stones version--imagine a white iPod with those big red Stones' lips!
November 10th, 2004 12:51 AM
Poplar
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
why are we comparing the Stones to this shit band? please. pick a better band for the title if your gonna sit here & bitch about the Stones getting their asses kicked. oh yeah, and Vertigo sucks.

All I see here is Bitterness. And let's not start counting bands that have kicked the Stones asses over the past two decades.

I did love Voodoo Lounge.

November 10th, 2004 01:45 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
Poplar wrote:

All I see here is Bitterness. And let's not start counting bands that have kicked the Stones asses over the past two decades.

I did love Voodoo Lounge.

yes, i do admit i have developed a bitterness towards U2 over the past few years. I will say they are 'better than alright' though, I just don't even see how they could be given consideration for greatest band in the world. and using the Stones' past 20 years as a point for comparison isn't doing any good, because, lets face it, the Stones didn't establish the title of Greatest Rock N Roll Band in the World from their work between 1984 and 2004.
its really weak for anyone to jump to calling the Stones washed up or anything because they aren't making albums like Let It Bleed or Some Girls (or any album for that matter) lately. its rock n roll, they can't all be perfect. they've put out enough great albums, and pulled off a a variety of sounds that I can't think of any bands being able to actually top, though a few have come close. U2's sound has been pretty much the same since New Years Day. yes there have been many many many bands that have made better music in the past 2 decades than the Stones. U2 isn't one of them. I don't mean to bash them, except when you place them along side a truly great band, but it gets to a point where its just like, gimme a break - if its not good enough for you up until now, will it ever be?
November 10th, 2004 02:43 AM
Poplar
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
its rock n roll, they can't all be perfect.

AGREED!

quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
there have been many many many bands that have made better music in the past 2 decades than the Stones. U2 isn't one of them.

I whole heartedly disagree.

quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
U2's sound has been pretty much the same since New Years Day.

??????????????????????????????

Do any of the following songs sound like New Year's Day?
Even Better Than the Real Thing
One
Until the End of eth World
Mysterious Ways
Zooropa (my fav. album, btw)
Stay
etc...

my god man, if there is any band that continues to change it is U2.

November 10th, 2004 02:44 AM
Prodigal Son When the Stones have released albums, they go to the top almost and sell pretty well for an old band. U2 has been together for 25 years and I see this as their last commercial gasp. Hell, in the late 80s the Stones were similarly well-aged together and still had top 10 albums with SW, VL and BTB. It's just this 7 (and counting) year gap between albums that has everyone nervous. But U2 is in that type of "late 80s, early 90s Stones era."

It was an album on average, every 2 years for U2 up until and counting Zooropa. Then a 3 year gap (which happened for them twice, yet was two albums within 2 years or less of each other with 88's Rattle and Hum following 87s The Joshua Tree which had been a 3 year wait since The Unforgettable Fire, then a 3 year gap until Atchung Baby-after Rattle and Hum) saw Pop in 96, then a 4 year break for All That You Can't Leave Behind, a near 5 year break for Atomic Bomb. Damn, it should be 5 or 6 years till the next U2 album.

Get ready for the Steel Wheels version of U2. Bono wailing some new tune in 2010, by that time being 50. Then a wait of 7 or 8 for the next. We'll see how respected U2 is by then. They'll get slagged like the Stones (who were branded rock geezers by the mid-80s while U2, now in their mid-40s like the Stones were, get off a bit more).
November 10th, 2004 06:41 PM
Some Guy U2 are playing an exclusive gig for RADIO 1 next week.

And the station will be packed with themed programming as the band gear up for the release of their new album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

On Tuesday (November 16) they will play a tiny show for Radio 1 competition winners and special guests at their studio at Dublin's Hanover Quays. The performance will be broadcast live on Zane Lowe's show between 7-9pm.

That morning, Jo Whiley will be joined by the band live at the venue for her 10am show.

And the following morning, Chris Moyles' breakfast show will come live from Dublin to give the lowdown on what happened after.

That same night, NME.COM will have a world exclusive stream of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb from 9pm. The album is released on November 22.

For the chance to win tickets, visit the official Radio 1 website.
November 10th, 2004 07:32 PM
glencar Meanwhile, Keith is making pirate movies & Mick is banging some really tall chick...
November 10th, 2004 08:55 PM
Soldatti Prodigal Son:
The difference between albums of the Stones and U2 is the impact, Steel Wheels reached #3 in the States and remained Top 10 until January 1990, but when the tour ended the album falled as Stone: 85-116-159-189-195 and out. The same for Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon: high chart positions but not many weeks on chart. U2 spent many more weeks on charts with the new albums, for example Atchung Baby spent 97 weeks and All That You Can't Leave Behind 94 weeks.
November 11th, 2004 06:48 PM
Some Guy U2's new album was two years in the making -� and will go to number one around the world. Neil McCormick joined them in the studio to watch their pursuit of perfection

For much of the past two years, the world's most successful rock band have been gathering in a squat, unimposing building on a desolate street by the canal dockside in Dublin, recording their 11th studio album. They put in a five-day week, although, by June this year, with deadlines approaching, this has been stretching into long nights and weekends. "I wouldn't say it is fun," says U2's imperturbable bassist Adam Clayton. "It is work."

On a board in the lobby, schedules are scrawled in marker. Under July 4 it states: "Album finished." On November 22, it states: "Album released." A week later, on November 29, according to the board, it will be number one in all major territories.

For U2, what might seem like presumption is just forward planning. Since The Joshua Tree in 1987, all U2's albums have sold in the multi-millions. "The secret to getting a 10-million-selling album," says singer Bono, "is making it last across two Christmases."

Actually, there is a bit more to it than that. Commercial considerations aside, two years in the studio suggests a certain dedication to their art. "At this stage of our careers, it would be easy for us to make something quirky," says Bono. "The challenge is to be bigger and bolder and better -� to make records the whole world will listen to. Because we recognise that we are in a privileged position. The least we can do is not be crap."

Bono has a pervading enthusiasm that is contagious partly because it is so inclusive. In the boardroom, beneath a large Basquiat canvas, playing back new mixes of tracks completed the night before, he gives a beguiling performance, dancing, approaching to sing a line in your ear, explaining lyrics as he goes, asking what you think. Asking everyone. And paying attention to what they say.

"Most lead vocalists are very protective," says drummer Larry Mullen. "Bono's not at all precious. He's just interested in what's the best idea. So we all get involved."

This is the nature of U2's highly unconventional working process and perhaps explains why recording takes so long. Everyone is involved in everyone else's business. "It is a very instinctive process," says guitarist the Edge. "A piece of music will show promise and everyone will agree it is worth working on. We then start trying to find the essence of the piece. Songs take very strange twists and turns in arrangement and style, with wildly different structures, tempos, lyrics, melodies. But there is always some core element that is common from the beginning to the end, which is the thing we're trying to retain in its most pure form."

There are two studios at U2's HQ. Mullen is working in the main studio with producer Steve Lillywhite, adding drum overdubs. Edge is upstairs with another producer, Flood, seated at a portable recording set-up in the corner of a vast rehearsal room, laying down keyboard lines. Clayton sits to one side, in the role of sounding board.

"U2 have commitment issues," he says. "Larry can't commit to a drum part unless he has some idea what the vocal is going to be. Bono doesn't want to commit to the vocal until he feels the music is more developed. So everything moves around itself, like musical chairs. For the game to end, everyone has to sit on something."

"I have been working with the band for the best part of 30 years," says Lillywhite. "The U2 working process is unique to them and quite frustrating for everyone else. It involves working tracks over and over and over again, dismissing every possible thing they don't like and ending with the thing they like."

Later Bono will drift between the two studios, adding vocals. U.S. rock band the Red Hot Chili Peppers are in town, and Bono has been indulging in his principal vices: smoking and drinking. Manager Paul McGuinness once asked him if he was worried about the effect of such indulgences on his voice. "That's the problem," Bono replied. "I like it!"

"With U2, it's sort of songwriting by accident," is Bono's theory. "We don't really know what we're doing. And when we do, it doesn't seem to help. The better we've gotten at our craft, the harder it has been for us to make magic. Years ago, we weren't good musicians, so we were just dependent on magic. But, as you get older, you start to understand songwriting and the result, if you're not careful, is less original."

The new album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, began with Edge sitting in his house in Malibu just thinking about rock and roll. "It is an interesting form because it's particular to this period of history. There is no precedent, because it is about electricity and the guitar. So I was interested in whether we could come up with something new."

He concocted the dramatic riff to their new single "Vertigo," which, he says "is like an eternal riff. It sounds as if it has always been there, waiting to be discovered."

Edge and Bono came up with blueprints for half a dozen songs, which were then kicked around in jam sessions with their bandmates that spun off into another half-dozen blueprints. Those were added to and subtracted from for a year, until by last October they had an album almost ready for release. At which point they decided it lacked indefinable magic and embarked on another year of working over the material. "It's like cell division,"says Bono. "Our songs keep shedding their skin and a new song emerges."

Eight producers were involved, including long-time collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "There is a real difference between a great song and a great record," says Bono. "The studio itself is a very strong personality: it can change everything. So you want to have great people working with you."

So how do they know when the album is finished? "A U2 record is finished when Bono sings it," says Lillywhite. "Bono is a very primal performer, and, if the music isn't right, he doesn't give his best performance. So he does a vocal against the music and then you mix it and get it sounding like a record, and then he'll say 'OK, give me the microphone,' and he'll sing it again. And then sometimes he'll say, 'Edge, it needs a bit more music.' And then we'll do some more guitar. But then the chords will change, so we have to redo the bass. And now the drums don't work. Three weeks later, it's turned into another song."

Clayton is stoical. "It's finished when it's in the shops," he says.
November 11th, 2004 07:53 PM
glencar Hmm, the studio must be pretty clsoe to where the Stones played in Dublin last year. A couple of U2's posse showed up at the shows. Perhaps the Stones showed up at the studio?
November 12th, 2004 06:32 PM
Some Guy Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1

Billboard, November 12, 2004

Melinda Newman and Jonathan Cohen

Look for U2 to start its world tour on March 1 in Florida in support of its new Interscope album, "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," the band's manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard.

"We'll play approximately 35 shows in the arenas in the spring in the U.S., McGuinness says. U2 will then play 30 stadium shows across Europe, return to North America for another 35-date arena swing and the proceed to Japan and Australia.

Rumors have circulated that potential openers include Snow Patrol and the Scissor Sisters. McGuinness said no decision has been made, but added "We love Snow Patrol. Their producer, Jacknife Lee, also worked on U2's album and they're Irish. There's a close connection."

The upcoming trek will be promoted by Clear Channel Entertainment's TNA International, which is spearheaded by president Arthur Fogel. U2's 2001 tour, also promoted by Fogel, grossed $104 million from 106 shows worldwide, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Continuing the move toward a more rock-driven approach emphasized on 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the new set is front-loaded with a host of satisfyingly straightforward tracks that should thrill U2 fans. Highlights include the chiming, strident "City of Blinding Lights," the powerful Edge showcase "All Because of You" and the emotive, atmospheric "Miracle Drug," where Bono scales the heights of his vocal register.

First single "Vertigo" is in third week at No. 1 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart.
November 12th, 2004 07:14 PM
Soldatti Stones' tour pushed back with this...
November 13th, 2004 07:10 AM
corgi37 No doubt a Stones tour will be delayed. September is my guess. It will probably take them that long to record 10 decent songs.

I think its all good and well to hang onto the laurels of Exile, Sticky & Let it bleed. But shit, you'd think the guys would have some pride. Pride to not just sit around for so bloody long and record zip. Nil. Nada. Not a damn thing for nearly 8 years. What was Keith doing? Going to PTA meetings?
His "job" is a musician. Mainly, for the Rolling Stones. Its about time he acted like it. I dont care if he's 60 or 25. If he still has the balls to go out and tour, and play his axe, then he SHOULD still have the desire to create new music. Otherwise, retire. Fuck off to civvy street. It doesnt help that people say "they gave us such great music". Fuck that. I know that. But, i want more. And, they should WANT to make more. Otherwise, go join Celine Dion and Elton John.

So, that is my whole point. I hate U2. I really do. But, gee, their fans are lucky. They havent done a live albume for 16 years! And, the major reason i am pissed off? Live Licks pushed my patience over the fucking highest cliff.

Who ever is advising them should be sacked. I mean, i guess its hard to tell MJ or KR what to do, but surely some one in their organisation would have the balls to say "That is the most pitiful film clip i have ever seen (Dont Stop).

Surely some one could tell them "Not another live cd?". Some one at Virgin perhaps? Or, the ghost of Ian Stewart?

You know what they need?

A manager!
November 13th, 2004 08:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Stones' tour pushed back with this...

Not at all. The "U2 tour to start in Miami in March" rumour has been common knowledge for a few months. Its not that hard to work out the rest of their tour plans either, as several of the dates have already been mentioned and are just awaiting solid confirmation.

The Stones were NEVER going to be touring in the same region at the same time as U2 for several reasons, the most significant of which is that both acts employ largely the same crew in the US.Add to that the fact that U2's album is about to be released and the Stones havent even properly started working on their yet.

If there was any time in 2005 where you could have bet the Stones WOULDNT be on the road, it was spring 2005 in the US and summer 2005 in Europe.

Even if the Stones were to start work on a new album tomorrow, (and if we can assume they wont be touring until its ready for release) there is no way logistically they would be going on tour until the summer of 2005 at the earliest.
November 13th, 2004 09:06 AM
Some Guy Bono and Edge are scheduled to perform next Thursday at the dedication of the Clinton Presidential Center and Library in Little Rock, Arkansas. Their performance will come after speeches by President Bush and former presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. It will be the first time U2 (or even half of U2) have performed in the state of Arkansas.
November 13th, 2004 07:19 PM
Soldatti Good point Gazza
November 14th, 2004 09:10 AM
Some Guy they have been playing all of the new U2 album on competing radio stations here in Atlanta this weekend. I've heard quite a few of them now and they just don't move me yet. I've grown tired of Vertigo. I just haven't been wowed by the other tunes I've heard. Maybe the whole disc in its entirety will be better.
November 14th, 2004 05:31 PM
Soldatti I already get the album, a bit dark for my taste but is very good.
November 14th, 2004 09:48 PM
glencar Corgi, that was a great post. It's frustrating that the Stones can't come up with the goods for 8 years running.
November 15th, 2004 12:06 PM
jb Sad , but true Corgi 37....U2's success shall further diminish the Stones already declining legacy....
[Edited by jb]
Page: 1 2