ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Fernando
© 2005 Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GREATEST LIVE ALBUM OF ALL TIME Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 18th, 2005 07:47 AM
speedfreakjive u2, Rattle & Hum
November 18th, 2005 08:45 AM
gimmekeef Ya Ya's and Leeds in virtual dead heat...and speaking of the Dead....Live Europe 72 is up there too...
November 18th, 2005 11:03 AM
GimmeExile
quote:
Zack wrote:

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now

I've heard nothing but great praise for this live album. Can you tell me why it's so revered? I may have to run out and buy myself a copy.
November 18th, 2005 11:47 AM
Gazza for someone whose live shows seem to divide a lot of people (even his own fans), Dylan has made more great live albums than anyone else

Live 1966, Live 1975, Before The Flood and Hard Rain are all superb. (Budokan is good but if only theyd taken the '78 live album from the European shows)

Throw in a couple of live albums by The Band which he also plays on (Rock of Ages and the soundtrack to The Last Waltz)

The Stones' Ya Ya's is a worthy candidate for greatest live album ever by anyone. I still maintain that it's their only truly great live album, though. Most of the others have suffered from either lousy sound, erratic choice of performances and song selection, horrible editing or a combination of all of the above.

Springsteen's "Live in NYC" album from the Reunion tour is great - its his best one, better than Live 1975/85 (also a great one).

Neil Young & Crazy Horse's "Weld" and "Live Rust" are also worthy of mention as are both of Johnny Cash's 'prison' albums - Folsom Prison and San Quentin.

Throw in a few other truly great ones :

Lou reed - Rock n roll animal
Bob Marley - Live!
Who - Live at leeds
Elvis - NBC - TV Special (and all the various reissues with extra tracks)
Van - Its too late to stop now
Warren Zevon - Standing in the line of fire
Otis Redding - Live in europe
James Brown - live at the apollo
Hendrix - Band of Gypsys/Live at the fillmore
the Mothers - Fillmore East June 1971
(also a candidate for the funniest live album up there with Lou Reed's "take no prisoners" and Tom waits' "nighthawks at the diner')

Lucinda William's new one "Live at the fillmore" is also pretty good.

[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
November 18th, 2005 12:09 PM
Joey

" Ya Ya's " & " Leeds " are both tied for Number One ....

....as for Number Two :

******* END TRANSMISSION *******
November 18th, 2005 12:38 PM
Saint Sway Love You Live is my fave live Stones. So that gets my vote for #1

Ya Yas is great. But its too short. Would be greater with more tracks. Also, all the editing and overdubbing kind of sours it a bit.

also...

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs & Englishman
Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek
Neil Young - LIve Rust

those are also tops in my book

[Edited by Saint Sway]
November 18th, 2005 12:47 PM
Egbert
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
you can flame me all to hell, but i think love you live is the best live album the stones have put out (ya-ya's would beat it had they included the acoustic stuff, and not castrated sympathy)...

I get more out of LYL as well. Brussels Affair would be my favorite live Stones followed by LYL then Ya Yas.

Live At Leeds is good, but I grow impatient with Pete's guitar wankerings on some on the longer songs - Pete's great but he's no Jimi.

Others:

Johnny Cash Live At Folsom
Velvet Underground 1969 Live
Neil Young Live Rust
Miles Davis In Europe
November 18th, 2005 01:13 PM
GimmeExile Don't forget Johnny Cash's Live at San Quentin (an excellent companion piece to Live at Folsom Prison).

edited:

Oh, I see Gazza did have San Quentin

And, how cool that you mentioned Tom Waits "Nighthawks at the Diner." I love that album; it feels like you're in the audience listening to Waits tell these great stories. I haven't listened to it in years, but there was a time where it was in constant rotation of CDs I played late at night.

[Edited by GimmeExile]
November 18th, 2005 01:21 PM
Stray Cat UK BB KING - Live at Cook County Jail
Stones - Ya Yas
Who - Live at Leeds

November 18th, 2005 01:32 PM
gimmekeef Wow...finally a subject where everyone's opinions are very much the same and no controversy....hmmmmmmmmm..this is no fun!
November 18th, 2005 02:40 PM
Paranoid_Android Neil Diamond...One Hot August Night
No Kidding!!!
PHISH...Hampton Comes Alive!!
November 18th, 2005 02:53 PM
Quarter Tone
quote:
the worst kinda guy wrote:
Grand Funk Railroad Atlanta Pop Fest '70
Jimi Hendrix Band Of Gypsys
Rush All The World's A Stage
Rainbow On Stage
MC 5 Kick Out The Jams

Was there a live album of GFR at the Atlanta Pop Fest in '70? I'd like to hear that if such a thing exits. The offical GFR Live Album from that era was recorded elsewhere, at least I thought it was.

November 18th, 2005 03:11 PM
IzzyStradlin Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter.
November 18th, 2005 03:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl For me this is a real hard question, my list will be huge as there are many great live albums

As per the first post, I heard the whole Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison" album and I think the "San Quintín" album is better, however not near the top live albums ever.

Performance by Humble Pie has been one of my favs since it saw the light of day same as Ya Ya's, great someone mentioned it (humble pie)

Sheik Yerbouti better than live at the fillomre by many miles... come on! However if we add the performance the same day by PLASTIC ONO MOTHERS with Zappa and Lennon it will be also in the top live albums.

All Jimi Hendrix and Zappa live are top live albums

Jazz-Blues fusion by John Mayall is another masterpiece

Yessongs (I know many of you hate them)

Savoy Brown live

Recently I bought a CD by Ten Years after that put "Recorded Live" appart, it is "LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST"

Probably today to mention just one it would be King Crimson's Heavy ConsruKction, a triple CD with great live performances with no overdubs
November 18th, 2005 04:00 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Gazza wrote:
for someone whose live shows seem to divide a lot of people (even his own fans), Dylan has made more great live albums than anyone else

Live 1966, Live 1975, Before The Flood and Hard Rain are all superb. (Budokan is good but if only theyd taken the '78 live album from the European shows)

Throw in a couple of live albums by The Band which he also plays on (Rock of Ages and the soundtrack to The Last Waltz)

The Stones' Ya Ya's is a worthy candidate for greatest live album ever by anyone. I still maintain that it's their only truly great live album, though. Most of the others have suffered from either lousy sound, erratic choice of performances and song selection, horrible editing or a combination of all of the above.

Springsteen's "Live in NYC" album from the Reunion tour is great - its his best one, better than Live 1975/85 (also a great one).

Neil Young & Crazy Horse's "Weld" and "Live Rust" are also worthy of mention as are both of Johnny Cash's 'prison' albums - Folsom Prison and San Quentin.

Throw in a few other truly great ones :

Lou reed - Rock n roll animal
Bob Marley - Live!
Who - Live at leeds
Elvis - NBC - TV Special (and all the various reissues with extra tracks)
Van - Its too late to stop now
Warren Zevon - Standing in the line of fire
Otis Redding - Live in europe
James Brown - live at the apollo
Hendrix - Band of Gypsys/Live at the fillmore
the Mothers - Fillmore East June 1971
(also a candidate for the funniest live album up there with Lou Reed's "take no prisoners" and Tom waits' "nighthawks at the diner')

Lucinda William's new one "Live at the fillmore" is also pretty good.

[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]

Yeah that's a great list (though Live 1975/85 is certainly the best Springsteen live album).

These are also must-haves:
Emmylou Harris - At the Ryman
The Clash - From Here to Eternity
Nick Cave - Live Seeds
November 18th, 2005 04:15 PM
Quarter Tone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Wow...finally a subject where everyone's opinions are very much the same and no controversy....hmmmmmmmmm..this is no fun!

You want controversy? Okay. I don't like Ya Ya's; too many overdubs.
November 18th, 2005 04:15 PM
Quarter Tone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Wow...finally a subject where everyone's opinions are very much the same and no controversy....hmmmmmmmmm..this is no fun!

You want controversy? Okay. I don't like Ya Ya's; too many overdubs.
November 18th, 2005 04:21 PM
goatshead Great call on Yessongs by Gazza. I would have to put Ya-Ya's, Stripped, Yessongs, David Bowie Live at the Tower, Dire Straits Alchemy and Eric Clapton Rainbow Concert on my list.
November 18th, 2005 04:46 PM
star star Stones- Officially Get yer...but unofficially their live stuff in 72, for no other reason than my boot from then is of better quality than brussels affair!
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac- Live at the Boston Tea Party (Vol 1, 2 and 3)
Roxy Music- Viva!
November 18th, 2005 05:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The Boston Box... fuck yeah!
November 18th, 2005 05:11 PM
moy <---- live at the ritz bo and woody
November 18th, 2005 05:28 PM
RollingstonesUSA Where can I get Brussels Affair? thanks!!!!
November 18th, 2005 05:56 PM
MrPleasant Another one:

THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS.
November 18th, 2005 07:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
goatshead wrote:
Great call on Yessongs by Gazza. I would have to put Ya-Ya's, Stripped, Yessongs, David Bowie Live at the Tower, Dire Straits Alchemy and Eric Clapton Rainbow Concert on my list.

eh? yessongs? I hate Yes with a passion - Voodoo's choice, not mine!
November 18th, 2005 07:57 PM
James Burton Love The Following:

Still Life (really love it!)
Ya Ya's (Holy Shit, Stray Cat Blues....)
Elvis In Person (Vegas, 1969 - EP's on fire!)
Johnny Cash At San Quentin (just great)
Bob Dylan / The Band Before The Flood - (Gives me big fucking goose pimples - Hudson's Keyboards, Robertson's guitar and Bob Shouting!!!)
November 18th, 2005 08:44 PM
lotsajizz I always loved your work with Ricky Nelson, Mr. Burton.
November 18th, 2005 08:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

eh? yessongs? I hate Yes with a passion - Voodoo's choice, not mine!

Busted, now they all know we are the same person with different monikers
November 18th, 2005 09:17 PM
Gazza that would explain quite a few deviant and depraved sexual practices....
November 18th, 2005 09:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
November 18th, 2005 11:09 PM
steel wls U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky should be included.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)