ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Fernando
© 2005 Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Driving to Fast Return to archive
November 17th, 2005 08:43 AM
Neocon Is it just me or could the opening riff, which is repeated in the song been a little bit less obvious and played a little bit less conventionally? I think Billy Joel could have used it in his song Big Shot.

I don't dislike the song, but it's a tad bit on the apollonian side. I like the Stones to be more dionysian. Much more a Mick feel to the recording. No real feeling of studio sponteniety or feel.
November 17th, 2005 08:52 AM
speedfreakjive Dude, you're probably right, but the reason its like that is cos its Mick playing it, not Keith. But its a classic
November 17th, 2005 09:22 AM
Neocon I think it's one of the top 10 tracks on the album. I much prefer the more raw stuff like RJ, DB, ONNYA, ITWTL....

As far as polished stuff, I like LIND better. I think to some degree Driving to Fast is a missed opportunity. I don't think it will be considered a classic because the riff and overall recording lacks passion and excitment.

Let me just come right out and say it, it's plastic.

"You may be right,
I may be crazy,
but it just might be
a lunatic you're looking for"

Billy Joel, some guy for the stones to emulate. Mick's got low self esteem. Everyone else is right except Keith I guess. The wig may be on too tight.
November 17th, 2005 09:47 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Dude, you're probably right, but the reason its like that is cos its Mick playing it, not Keith. But its a classic

So, which songs Keith really plays his ass off on ABB?
November 17th, 2005 09:52 AM
speedfreakjive Yes, it could have been better. It might be a good one live, cos Keith could play on it. Best song though is Dangerous Beauty, I'd maybe put it in my Stones top 20, cos its got that intensity and feel to it, quite an electrifying listen, She Saw Me Coming is second, cos its quite unlike they've done before in quite a strange way.
November 17th, 2005 09:57 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

So, which songs Keith really plays his ass off on ABB?

Dangerous Beauty, riff & solo. She Saw Me Coming, rhythm & backing vocals. Infamy;vocals, Look What The CAt Dragged In, riff, Rough Justice.
November 17th, 2005 10:02 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Dangerous Beauty, riff & solo. She Saw Me Coming, rhythm & backing vocals. Infamy;vocals, Look What The CAt Dragged In, riff, Rough Justice.

Nothing on Laugh I Nearly Died?!?!? What about Oh No Not You Again!??!! What about the solo?
November 17th, 2005 10:07 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Nothing on Laugh I Nearly Died?!?!? What about Oh No Not You Again!??!! What about the solo?

I've heard he's not on "Laugh". But he does the Chuck Berry riff and licks throughout Oh, No. Thats Mick on rhythm.
November 17th, 2005 10:15 AM
BILL PERKS
"ABSOLUTELY FUCKIN ROCKS YOU IGNORANT SLUTS" - BILL PERKS to the bashers of ABB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 17th, 2005 10:16 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look closely, i'm not slagging it off
November 17th, 2005 10:28 AM
Neocon I definitely think he's playing on LIND. Ronnie is mixed in on Rough Justice and Oh No Not You Again. I've heard the first guitar you hear on RJ is Ronnie. I can't really tell who'se playing what all the time. I think Keith's rocking out on bass on On No as well as the nice lead guitar and solo.
November 17th, 2005 10:35 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

Perks.... you are among my TOP 10 secret list. Keep posting!
November 17th, 2005 10:36 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I've heard he's not on "Laugh". But he does the Chuck Berry riff and licks throughout Oh, No. Thats Mick on rhythm.

Speedy......

I was 99% assured that God Richards played the solo on ONNYA
November 17th, 2005 10:39 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Speedy......

I was 99% assured that God Richards played the solo on ONNYA

Sources? Cos it sounds like Ronnie to me
November 17th, 2005 10:47 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Sources? Cos it sounds like Ronnie to me

WTF man?!?!?! One of the most reliable sources I know, and I don't want to sound full of myself, but yes, my own two ears are good reliable sources. Anyway, I really would like to make myself sure that Keith played the solo. As you said that sounds like Ronnie, I would say the same and even add that the approach and the way those notes are attacked, it's most likely Keith
November 17th, 2005 10:51 AM
Neocon I think in the album credits it say keith plays the solo on Ohno.
November 17th, 2005 10:51 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

WTF man?!?!?! One of the most reliable sources I know, and I don't want to sound full of myself, but yes, my own two ears are good reliable sources. Anyway, I really would like to make myself sure that Keith played the solo. As you said that sounds like Ronnie, I would say the same and even add that the approach and the way those notes are attacked, it's most likely Keith

Perhaps, Anyway, arguing aside, its a great solo, could have been longer and mixed up higher though. Oh No Not You Again is BETTER than Rough Justice
November 17th, 2005 11:00 AM
Mathijs The solo on ONNYA is Keith for sure, but the rythm guitar on She Saw Me Coming is Mick, not Keith.

Mathijs
November 17th, 2005 11:01 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The solo on ONNYA is Keith for sure, but the rythm guitar on She Saw Me Coming is Mick, not Keith.

Mathijs

Are you sure? Its too a refined sound to be Mick, and played too roughly.
November 17th, 2005 11:09 AM
Neocon Mick only plays bass guitar on SSMC. It was cut live.
November 17th, 2005 11:19 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Are you sure? Its too a refined sound to be Mick, and played too roughly.

Well, lately Mick proved that he can play as refined as anyone. His ability really grown, really uphill. I've heard that he even played that terrific guitar on "Blue", the bonus track present only in the German edition of Goddess (I hate bonus tracks, usually they are far better than the regular ones and they are only released in Japan)
November 17th, 2005 11:25 AM
Soldatti The riff of Driving too Fast is very similar to the riff of Just Another Night.
November 17th, 2005 11:30 AM
Neocon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The riff of Driving too Fast is very similar to the riff of Just Another Night.

That riff has exactly no character. It says nothing other. very bland. I'm not sure why I think of Billy Joel's "Big Shot" when I play it. Does the riff appear in that song or just a similar rythym pattern?
November 17th, 2005 11:50 AM
Saint Sway the guitar in Driving Too Fast are absolutely rudamentary and boring. Spot on with the Billy Joel and Tom Petty comparisons.

guitar wise its a total embarrassment

doesnt sound anything like a quality Stones song
November 17th, 2005 12:34 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Neocon wrote:
I think in the album credits it say keith plays the solo on Ohno.

Sweetneocon, take the credits on ABB with a pinch of salt
November 17th, 2005 12:44 PM
JaggerLips I love Mick playing guitar on INFAMY, sorry but Infamy is just the best Keith song since Thru and Thru!
Mick on harmonica is just devine, he cuts you with the sound he makes from that!
November 17th, 2005 01:37 PM
Bruno Stone The way the chords change in "out of your brain, out of your mind" is great, but I agree with you all, Driving could be better with more "macho" guitars.
November 17th, 2005 02:33 PM
texile actually, big shot is far better.....
'no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
you had to be a biiiiiig shot....'
and yes speed, ONNYA is better than rj....
it reminds me of when mick and kith used to share a mic....
"harmonizing"............a thing of pure beauty.
November 17th, 2005 06:29 PM
Soldatti I actually like DTF, a good by the numbers tune.
November 18th, 2005 12:28 PM
Saint Sway I also dont like the drums on this track. It doesnt sound like Charlie at all to me. Sounds more like Steve Jordan.

not that theres anything wrong with Jordan. Its just that hes not Watts. Doesnt have the same feel.

I feel like they wasted a potentially great rocker with this one. Could of been great with some more inspired playing and more of a signature Stones sound (i.e. dirty riff, crashing cymbals, pounding snares).

[Edited by Saint Sway]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)