ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You're just a memory Return to archive
11-16-03 06:51 PM
Some Guy Now that the tour is over(??). What are your favorite memories that you take with you.
For me it was the Atlanta show, on a sat. and my favorite station was playing all Stones. Going to the show with my wife (her first show), and watching her get blowed away. We both screamed so damn much. CYHMK was my favorite, they nailed it.Good times damn good times
11-16-03 07:55 PM
SHINE A LIGHT for me... the palais royale rehearsals!!! and then the rest of the tour,that's all.
11-17-03 04:40 AM
corgi37 Little Corgi didnt have any worthwhile backstage experiences. No chance meeting, polaroid snap. Nothing. The biggest thrill belongs to my wife who shook hands with Keith and Ronnie. I just managed to get a shot of it before the security fuzz grabbed me. But, musically, seeing Midnight Rambler live was a life-long dream. How anyone, particularly suppposed jaded, faded superstars smashing into retirement age can rock so hard, simply stunned me. Plus, the build-up was so exciting, watching them roll through the U.S. and waiting months for confirmation of the Aussie tour. Snagging 8 row seats, drinking beer at a pub near the arena that played only Stones songs, gettting to within 4 rows. It's all minor stuff with some of the awesome tales I have read on this board, but their mine.
11-17-03 05:18 AM
fmk438j Probably the long few weeks before Enmore. After I had bought the tickets through the presale, I was in a really weird sedated mood because I was wary. I found it hard to believe what I had just got a hold of and I was scared shitless something, anything, might happen to prevent it from coming to fruition. So I kept a tight lid on my excitement for fear of being utterly destroyed by a glitch in ticketing etc (not an impossibility considering all the stupid stuff ticket agencies got up to during entire Licks).

Then those opening chords of Midnight Rambler. It's impossible to explain, or even recreate in my own head, the shear disbelief, the ecstacy that ran through me, making the 10 minutes seem like one. Moments like that are like drug highs. Sure, you can remember that it was amazing, beyond words, too good, but you'll never really grasp that feeling again, or truly remember the nature of what you felt, until next time.....

Other than that, meeting cool people who I'd traded with, met on here etc. That was great.

I could go on and on. It's just a dream now.
11-17-03 07:11 AM
nankerphelge This tour was loaded with great memories.

The whole buzz of the opener at the Fleet -- seeing them hit the stage for the first time in years -- wondering if it was real -- and drinking with all my RO buds at Sullys.

The Philly FUC show which I think was the best show I saw -- really showcased Ronnie that night - Love in Vain was moving -- eating Philly Cheesesteaks with my man TomL -- and partying in the top back row with a first-timer. Oh yeah, and drinking with all my buds.

MSG 9/26 & Giants 9/28 -- my three day marathon -- driving up, partying at the YOTI with my RO buds -- Thru & Thru being awesome -- walking in the POURING rain with Maxmeister after tring to find the Mustang bar (still don't remember the fucking name) -- driving home for my anniv. the next day -- driving back on Saturday -- partying with my buds in the parking lot -- doing the Hokey Pokey with Voodoo -- and sitting next to that 60 yr old grandmother (can't remember her name either) who was all hot & bothered by Mick.

DC 10/4 & Hartford 10/5 -- took the red-eye back from California and arrived at 7:00 am the day of the DC show -- hooked up with my bud from Atlanta, getting to FedEx field and wondering if the DC sniper was around -- hooking up late with Doug & Co. because of traffic -- running into TomL as he exited one of the 3,000,000 bathrooms-- missing Pammy, dammit -- Doug wearing the Burger King crown, partying at home, then hopping a flight in the morning with a bunch of Shidoobeans, getting to Hartford early and scoping out the Stones buses, partying with my Stones buds at Doug's party, confirming that Keith does run like a girl on the way to the B stage, helping some poor woman out who passed out at the show.

MSG 1/18 -- took the slowest train known to man into the city from Long Island. Hooked up with TomL and got totally ripped up at the YOTI -- watched the gross bartender fondle my disgusting hamburger which I then couldn't eat -- thinking how goofy the YOTI looked with Christmas lites up -- partying with all my Stones buds -- partying until dawn at Walters with Doug & Co.

Denver 2/1 -- hearing about the Shuttle disaster on the way to the airport -- using all of my FF miles for a ticket -- staying at the same hotel as the Stones and realizing the guy in the van staring back at me was Bobby Keys -- seeing them head out for the sound check -- hooking up with my Stones buds at the Hard Rock -- hooking up with more at Doug's party -- watching Jaxx/Keno/Doug pose for a great picture -- not being able to find a rolling paper amongst a gaggle of Stones fans -- running a block to get said paper -- THE CHIBA CHARIOT with moonie and Maxmeister -- really moof drunk at the show -- rushing the B with moonie -- partying at the hotel bar after the show.

Toronto -- wake & bake with TomL at 8:00 am on the way to the airport, drinking at the airport bar, drinking on the flight, heading to the 4 seasons to be interviewed for possible inclusion on the DVD, partying with my buds at Fiddler's Green, meeting some of the strangest cab drivers in the world, bar hopping Toronto to the wee hours, watching the TV coverage of all the people going to the show, getting reall y wasted in he hotel -- most beautiful day for a show -- AC/DC rocking -- Stones sound problems disappointing!

Wow what a tour -- fun to think back on it all!
11-17-03 08:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot My fondest memories?

Almost missing YOTI because of a sick rabbit. OK that one isn't all that fond.

Finding out my extra MSG ticket was for Gerardo.

Getting a kiss from Jaxx.

Not getting kissed by Gazza.

Seeing all the girls dancing with my son at Giant's Stadium. And seeing him really dig all the female attention.

People pointing at my kid and asking "How does he know all the words?"

Moonie & Roseland. I mean, c'mon, 'Nuff said.

Being wrong about the SARSfest.

Justin Timberlake. This one isn't fond either...but I'll remember it for a long time.

Collecting all the US/Canada Licks shows.

Then collecting all the Aussie shows.

Then collecting all the Japanese shows.

Deciding that since I already collected everything else I might as well go for the entire tour.

All these wonderful trees that we got going on here.

Reading that piece this morning from that London Paper with Mick saying that they aren't done. And a new album is gonna happen.

Looking forward to next time.
11-17-03 08:45 AM
luxury1 MONTREAL--two nights in a fine hotel there, Ronnies art show, and of course, the show and Mick in my hat. ( I swear, when he was talking to me from the stage, I was really cool, honest..........)
11-17-03 10:32 AM
jb Making out with the hot blonde at the Ft. Lauderdale show.
11-17-03 10:46 AM
Joey " Denver 2/1 -- hearing about the Shuttle disaster on the way to the airport -- using all of my FF miles for a ticket -- staying at the same hotel as the Stones and realizing the guy in the van staring back at me was Bobby Keys -- seeing them head out for the sound check -- hooking up with my Stones buds at the Hard Rock -- hooking up with more at Doug's party -- watching Jaxx/Keno/Doug pose for a great picture -- not being able to find a rolling paper amongst a gaggle of Stones fans -- running a block to get said paper -- THE CHIBA CHARIOT with moonie and Maxmeister -- really moof drunk at the show -- rushing the B with moonie -- partying at the hotel bar after the show. "

Nanky ........................................

For you to fly out all the way to Denver for a Stones gig and party with your Brothers is above and beyond the call of duty my Friend ...

I would like to

Oh , and

Jacky !

11-17-03 11:32 AM
Stones Fan, Gar Jan.22 show at the United Center, coldest day in the Windy City. Meeting a bunch of fans at the Billy Goat. Mick forgetting to introduce Charlie, Ronnie rolling on stage laughing his ass off because of it. Mick saying it was cold enough to freeze you balls off. And making it home with my balls in tack. Also, a personal memory I will have for the rest of my life, Sept.13, Comisky Park, I broke a molar on a piece of candy, and now have a gold crown to remind me of the Stones forever. By the way, the dental assistant asked me how it happened, and she was at that show too, strange but true.
11-17-03 03:09 PM
glencar Dublin. Both shows. 2 or 3 people deep. I'll never be able to top it.
11-17-03 04:28 PM
Mr T the announcement of the tour

getting tix to my first Stones show

hearing Can't You Hear Me Knocking would be in the setlist

my show (Giants Stadium)

The show opening with a kick ass Brown Sugar

Mick being lively enough to not be able to miss him for a second even as far away as I was. Of course when the screens came out I was ever happier

seeing Keith for the first time

every rumor about Four Flicks up until the day it was in my hands. In fact, I'm not sure this one classifies as 'just a memory' - because it hasn't worn off at all. it gets better every time I watch it

how can I get some discs of this great tour's highlights
11-17-03 05:42 PM
Some Guy I love you guys
11-17-03 09:12 PM
throbby Hanging out in the Four Seasons lobby after a mesmerizing cab ride.

Riding up the elevator with Mr.& Mrs. Wood.

Second row at the Philly FUC show b-stage set getting the grind from all sides.

Tower, Mick performing "Hand of Fate".

Roseland, 6' from the stage directly in front of Keith's amps.

Roseland, Mick singing "She Smiled Sweetly" bathed in blue light.

Roseland, Mick losing his shit on "That's how Strong my Love Is".

Discovering this board thanks to a friend.

Thence to discover the hallowed C10.

The Super Bowl thread.

Seeing the French Keith lookalike at every show I went to. A very nice guy I might add.

Dare I say this, trapped in an elevator with Chuck in his Saturday morning workout gear.

Finally, watching my 19 and 16 year old sons standing at the MSG b-stage watching the Stones do Brown Sugar with their mouths hanging open.

11-17-03 10:52 PM
glencar I wish "She Smiled Sweetly" was on the DVD.
11-17-03 11:31 PM
Mr T I never heard She Smiled Sweetly live (I mean recorded) - can I get an mp3 of that? if not, a disc of the show?
11-18-03 12:33 AM
Gimme Shelter For me it was both San Francisco shows, the Oakland show, and the San Jose show.
11-18-03 01:16 AM
Child of the Moon As I only got to see one show (Tacoma), most of my great memories came from that... among them:

-Mick looking at me and pointing me out during "Street Fighting Man."
-"Midnight Rambler." The one song I didn't think they would play. And it kicked fucking ass.
-The fact that people on GasX3 heard me screaming before "Don't Stop."
-Mick freaking out at the end of "YCAGWYW." It was 1972 all over again.
-Singing along with Keith on "Before They Make Me Run." I never realized singing along with that song could be so much fun.
-Ronnie Wood *nailing* every one of his solos that night, particularly on "Start Me Up" and "Don't Stop."
-Screaming at the sourpuss douchebags sitting immediately around me during "When the Whip Comes Down." There is no excuse for sitting down durig a rockin' song like that, even if it is a comparative obscurity. So my reaction was simple: "STAND THE FUCK UP!!!!!"
-Watching my friend Lawrence catch Ronnie's attention with his personalized sign that read "STAY WITH ME - RONNIE WOOD." Long story, but I'm glad it happened.
-Trying to find the GasX3 and/or Rocks Off folks at the hotel pre-show party, rather unsuccessfully. Oh, well.
-Keith and Mick singing into the same mic on "Honky Tonk Women." Oh, and the big cartoon.
-Hell, the whole friggin' experience was fonder than fond.

As for the rest of the tour...
-I remember getting totally excited the day after the Palais Royale show while I read over the setlist. I mean, at the time, there were some real surprises there: "Heart of Stone," "CYHMK," "Torn and Frayed," "If You Can't Rock Me," "Stray Cat Blues," "I Can't Turn You Loose"... Wow.
-Looking at the setlists for all those early club/theater shows, and then subsequently hearing them on CD.
-Two words: "Love Train."
-Logging each show as the tour progressed. I now have every single show logged, complete with dates, venues, setlists, the album theme mini-sets, notation of nice surprises, and even the number of times each song was played on the tour.
-The release of the remasters a month or so into the tour. I often forget that this happened. I remember having to drive 25 minutes to get to the nearest *good* record store just so I could buy some on the release date. I just made it, too - bought them about an hour before the joint closed. I bought Big Hits and Aftermath UK. Cranked the latter all the way home.
-Forty-fuckin'-Licks. Oh, and downloading "Don't Stop" before it was released and dancing around my room every time I heard it.
-The night of the MSG show. Sat in front of the TV with popcorn and Coca Cola and enjoyed almost every second of it. I say almost because I take Keith's solo on "Sympathy" into account. Ouch. Other than that, at the time, every other second of it was pure gold. I remember *freaking out* when Keith played "Thru and Thru."
-Enmore. What can I say? Opening with "Midnight Rambler," "No Expectations," Angus and Malcolm on "Rock me Baby" for the first time...
-Celebrating the "Month of Ronnie," an official month-long holiday between February 24th and March 24h.
-Four words: "The Nearness of You."
-SARSstock. That whole thing just made me really warm 'n' fuzzy inside, despite the Justin Timberlake accident...
-The magnificent return of "Love Train" at the Ahoy.
-The magnificent return of "Saint Of Me" at the Vredenburg.
-The magnificent return of "Salt of the Earth" at the Twickenham Rugby Ground (2nd show).
-The announcement that the Hong Kong shows would be played.
-Remembering all of this stuff as I typed.

There's probably more, but those are just some of the greatest parts of the last year-plus. Oh, and thanks to all of you for enjoying the last year-plus with me!

[Edited by Child of the Moon]