ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 96 tears? Return to archive
11-16-03 08:13 AM
mabbs Hello!

I found a song on direct connect named "The Rolling Stones - 96 tears (Rare Bootleg)".

I have never heard it before and when i listen to it, it might sound like an early Keith Richards...

I think "? and the Mysterians" have the original.

Does anyone know?

I have faith in you my fellow stonesfans

mabbs
11-17-03 04:53 AM
corgi37 Yeah, i downloaded it too. It certainly does not sound anything like the Stones. I also got them doing Drift Away, a beach boys song, My Girl, and...ahh i cant think now. All from varying eras, with some obviously from mid 60's (Jaggers voice is weak as piss). But this 96 tears just does not sound like them at all. So, i deleted it. IF some one can confirm it is indeed the boys, i will certainly re-re-download it. Oh, and have you seen a similar bootleg labled (or similar) HOuse of the rising sun/Rolling stones rare cover. Trouble is, it aint the Stones but the ANimals after all. Sneaky bastards. Its like when you download "big ass whore showing all" and you get a clip of a cow having a shit in a field.
11-17-03 05:12 AM
mabbs I know! It`s annoying not knowing what you`re downloading.

I got very suspicious when I heard 96 tears, because it doesn`t got that raw stones sound..., but then againg they have covered some weird things...

mabbs
11-17-03 07:51 AM
Sir Stonesalot Drift Away is not a Beach Boys song. It's Dobie Gray.

I have not heard of, nor ever seen mentioned, that the Stones did a cover of 96 Tears. Not in any book, not on any list, not in any interview past or present. And I read a lot of that stuff. If they actually had done a cover of that song, it would have turned up not only on audio, but in print as well.

I think what you have is just simply someone who didn't know what band did 96 Tears, thought it sounded like the Stones, and so labled it as such.
11-17-03 10:10 PM
Gazza The Stones have never recorded "96 Tears"

maybe the version you downloaded was the cover by The Stranglers, which came out around 1990?

check it again - if theres horns in it (especially in the chorus), it may be that version as opposed to the original Mysterians hit.
11-17-03 10:50 PM
glencar Brian Jones did a version of "I Get Around" with the Beach Boys. Garland Jeffreys(sp) did a remake of "96 Tears" in the early 80s. Better 'n' the original.
11-18-03 04:42 AM
corgi37 96 tears is not the stranglers version. I have Drift away, but i also meant to include I get around. That is pitiful, but fun. I also have da doo ron ron. Thats serious fun, but so slow.