ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Next Tour Themes? Return to archive
11-12-03 11:08 AM
gimmekeef After watching the joy in the faces of the band at the Olympia show and reading other posts I'm convinced there will be another tour.It would be great to see other album themed shows in arenas such as "Aftermath";"Now";"12 x 5" etc.Of course having a new raw rock based album containing new cover tunes perhaps would also be excellent!
11-12-03 11:15 AM
SHINE A LIGHT how about a pure blues based album???
11-12-03 11:20 AM
Jumacfly a blues night tour with buddy guy...
11-12-03 11:26 AM
nankerphelge I sure hope they throw at least one solid blues tune in! It's been way too long since we've gotten a "Down in the Hole" blues.
11-12-03 11:30 AM
T&A I'd be satisfied with an all-covers album, to be honest with you. Blues, soul, old-time rockers. It could be great. The Stones have pretty much said/written what they can - now it's just a process of recycling and repackaging riffs and licks - fine with me...but why bother trying write new material.

When you listen to the Licks jams, Well Well and Grip you realize there aren't a whole lot of new ideas circulating with this band - and that's not entirely surprising either. 40 years of been there, done that will getcha...
[Edited by T&A]
11-12-03 11:53 AM
jb Eric Clapton did that and it was boring as hell....
11-12-03 11:56 AM
T&A JB:

If you're talking about From the Cradle and the resultant tour - you and I have a very different idea of what boring is...that was one of EC's finest hours...
11-12-03 12:04 PM
jb The concert literally put me to sleep...
11-12-03 12:29 PM
scratched A totally stripped down, raw, 'live in the studio' album of new tunes! No session players are allowed under any circumstances and the songs should be recorded in as little takes as neccessary! With no musical crutches (like that bearded baffoon Chuck) to keep them going, they might be coerced into recording a prettty funky album!
11-12-03 12:38 PM
SHINE A LIGHT they should complete the circle....they began as a blues band,gave the blues musicians some exposure, so next album shoud be pure blues.....some originals,some covers of their influences!!!!
11-12-03 05:34 PM
SirMuddy Keith should put out Cocaine Blues
I want Jagger to sing Key to the highway with Keith
New Version of Prodigal son à la Woodstock '78 rehearsal
You gotta move acoustic...
what else.... ?
11-12-03 05:44 PM
Joey " Eric Clapton did that and it was boring as hell.... "

Agreed .......................that was circa '98 and it was like attending a Jeff Beck Concert .

I got a couple of " Jeff Beck Starter Kits " in the mail a few years ago and I play them whenever I have difficulty sleeping .

I never stay awake past Track # 2 .

Word to all of your Grandpappys !

" Pass The Biscuits Ronnie "

Jacky Boy !!!!

11-12-03 05:44 PM
Miss U. I'd like a Cajun-style album, ballads, the too sentimental stuff they've been too afraid to release yet....
OR
How bout an album including Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on it as guest appearances....maybe a tribute to Brian??
I'd like to see another collaboration with the Master Musicians of Jajouka.
11-12-03 06:11 PM
glencar Why not show tunes?
11-12-03 06:19 PM
scratched A triple-disc jazz-fusion concept album. Every band has at least one in them.
11-12-03 06:23 PM
glencar And should bury it quickly.
11-12-03 10:21 PM
littleredrooster Hot Rocks Volume 2, 'Tight Sphincters and Loose Bladders'
11-12-03 10:37 PM
corgi37 Oh yeah, Stones to release a stripped down, no extras, blues/covers album. Blues is SOOOOO big right now. Everyone on this board might buy it, and that would be about it! Shit, even black people hate the blues. Why dont they just play vegas for 3 years? Why not just sell out completely and do a Rod Stewart?? I can really see Jagger "looking back" to covers/blues. What they need to do is get Keith to listen to something other than reggae and old 40's tunes. Some one should remind him there are things like amplifiers, distortion effects. The music world has changed som much since their last studio effort. Most of it is crap, but i am sure the stones could put their own spin on it. Like they did with pychadelic (did i spell that right?), funk, disco, punk - even electronica!Maybe someone could buy him a chord book for xmas, just to remind him of the days when he used to write songs with different chords. I would prefer they do something like b2b again. At least they tried something different. i would like some rules though. 1. No fucking keef ballads. 2. Choose a decent 1st single. 3. Ditch the side men/women. 4. No reggae songs. 5. Release it asap.
11-13-03 09:01 AM
UGot2Rollme if they were to do covers, I'd like to hear a Motown-type/R&B type ala Ain't too Proud, Love Train...

I'd rather hear Mick & Keith actually collaborate on something - I think it's been since Voodoo Lounge days

agree that the Chuckster should not be invited to the party

Also, let Ronnie sing/squawk one! (maybe a blues tune about being sober)
11-13-03 07:37 PM
Jason P. Why don't the Stones just quit - period?

Don't they have enough money? They are so obviously slagging along barely playing, forgetting how to play their own songs, all so they can rake in the millions of dollars.

And all the fans eat it up like the Stones are so great.

Listen to how poorly they are playing. Listen to how they
can't improvise. Listen to how every show sounds the same.
Plug In Flush Out. TelePrompTers, click-tracks, The Back Up Mick Jagger Orchestra...uggh.

11-13-03 09:24 PM
Some Guy DAMN
11-13-03 09:38 PM
New Barbarian
quote:
Jason P. wrote:
Why don't the Stones just quit - period?

Don't they have enough money? They are so obviously slagging along barely playing, forgetting how to play their own songs, all so they can rake in the millions of dollars.

And all the fans eat it up like the Stones are so great.

Listen to how poorly they are playing. Listen to how they
can't improvise. Listen to how every show sounds the same.
Plug In Flush Out. TelePrompTers, click-tracks, The Back Up Mick Jagger Orchestra...uggh.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but why don't you just quit. If you don't like the Stones of '03 you don't have to listen them, you know. There's probably some other bands you might listen instead. So why waste your time in this. I don't know why I bothered to reply anyway.
11-14-03 02:42 AM
littleredrooster Jason, ROCK ON!
Slip that Brittany disc into your CD player!

AWESOME!
11-15-03 08:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jason P. wrote:
Why don't the Stones just quit - period?

I dunno. Why does a bear shit in the woods?
11-15-03 09:58 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
Eric Clapton did that and it was boring as hell....

Oh God, I didn't read that word - BORING!
Come on Josh! That "From the Cradle" for my personal taste is one of Clapton's masterpieces, I mean, a masterpiece after the Cream era....

Doing "From the Cradle" he showed to the world he's got guts enough to be as raw as he used to be in the Cream days. Yeah, I think raw is the best word for what EC did....

Best regards!