ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Early Thoughts on FF Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-13-03 06:36 AM
Jumacfly LOL padre!!
11-13-03 09:27 AM
twicks1 I am glad someone commented on the after-show/van ride home footage from the surprise club show in Toronto. Great, great footage of our boys as you said, on a high and loving each other's company.

I would have gladly paid $30 just for the Tip of the Tongue documentary...So many moments on there are just pure gold. Keith getting pissed off in the studio control room, the warm greetings between Mick and Keith before the Toronto show...just wonderful to see.

11-13-03 09:50 AM
jb Alleged Money....
11-13-03 10:19 AM
Joey Alleged Money.... "

Skee !
11-13-03 10:47 AM
twicks1 I am also very impressed by the band's performance at the stadium show on the DVD. If you can get past Keith's tendency to play the same licks in every solo, I thought he and Ron both played superbly. And when was the last time Mick sang so strongly? His delivery on "Wild Horses" is unbelievable.

Again, it's the old U.S./Europe tradeoff. Americans get to see the Stones first, but Europeans get a well-oiled band firing on all cylinders, making for all-around better shows...Plus, festival seating looks like a lot of fun.

11-13-03 10:55 AM
jb I don't think I was being over-critical. many agreed with me that the MSG was nothing special and felt it should not be included as everyone taped it already. The Twickenham show was good....but all I said was that the Atlanta show I attended was just as good if not better...but I imagine it's more appealing to market a London show than one from Turner field. Sat what you will, the documentry was nothing extroadinary....in fact, it only reinforced my opinion, on how distant Mick and Keith have grown . (I will admit the pre show hug was nice). The Olympia theatre was good...nice intimate venue, but for me, the attempts at songs like Heartbreaker, Hand of Fate, Woried About You, and Neighbors while admirable, really did not sound good.....Still, the quality in terms of audio and video were very good.
11-13-03 11:06 AM
padre So where can I send the money?
11-13-03 11:24 AM
jb Make a donation to the JDL ...
11-13-03 01:37 PM
glencar Olympia Theatre is on again...
11-13-03 02:41 PM
Gazza >Beezer? Good or bad?

most definitely "good" - in fact, extremely good. Twickenham was the best Stones stadium show I've ever seen them do.

Josh, mate - until a few months ago, you were the most over-zealous Stones fan diehard imaginable..anyone who criticized them or didnt think it was worth parting with their firstborn or spending the Gross National Product of a small African nation for a pair of premium seats would get admonished or dismissed as "not true Stones fans".
Now it seems a 4-disc live DVD package for what even the most poverty stricken Stones fan (ie, me) would describe as a bargain isn't enough to get you enthusiastic.

Oddly enough, theres me - the biggest critic of the band's greed you'll ever wish not to meet - actually complimenting them on caring about their fanbase for once and giving us value for money.

It seems the wheel's turned full circle. We've almost swapped identities. Now,all I need is a secretary.....

(cue 'Twilight Zone' music)

11-13-03 02:48 PM
jb LOL Gazza....It's funny, because after attending "my" shows, I was as thrilled as anybody and thought they were great. However, as the tour progressed, they just keeping doing things that distressed me more and more. The Justin Timberlake incident, the SFTD remix, the snubbing of the great Mick Taylor, Keith posing and making up little quips for media consumption while his own playing was marginal at best...I think I have become a little jaded and while I will still be the first one to spend big bucks on tickets, I no longer live in a fantasy world thinking they are still as good as there were in the past.
11-13-03 02:57 PM
gimmekeef Hey JB I certainly respect your (and everyone's)opinion and when it comes to concert quality there's big variances.I've been lucky to see about 25 shows since '72 and I've seen posts praising Atlanta this time.I was there and thought it was just ok IMHO.I too wish the band was in top form all the time but feel lucky we even have them to praise,bash or whatever...I'm treasuring the DVD and hope everyone else feels they get their monies worth.
11-13-03 03:02 PM
Nellcote JB, you must still be recovering from that vile post, as your continued use of the words "Great" and "Mick Taylor" in the same sentence, is a cause for concern. I think we need to get Sherman to put you in the way back machine, circa 1969-1974, so that you can relive those thrilling days of yesteryear. Then, at that point, you too will realize that we all get old, when we get old things change, and acceptance of that fact is the better part of valor. The same has happened to The Stones, however, it appears from your frequent "Hail To Taylor" comments, you are stuck in some type of "Time Tunnel" existance. (It was a wicked pissa show in the day, BTW) You really need to snap out of it. He is not coming back, he quit the band, he appears to have a life support existance within the rock world, followed his own ego to the point that only cultists now worship at his altar. The Stones, by contrast, still have found a way to survive without him. They have moved on with their life. What a miracle!

BTW, any lawyer I've ever been involved with closes the engagement with "Now, this chapter of your life is over with, it is time to put this in the past, and move on."
You should do the same with Taylor.
11-13-03 03:04 PM
Gazza maybe thats a healthy thing, not living in a fantasy world (did I say 'maybe' ? LOL)

take a tip for the next tour - see them at different stages on the tour. If I'm correct you saw them in October and then again in January in New York. When you've had your 'fix' and its over, its easy to lose enthusiasm and be disinterested or cynical. You'll always have the excitement of anticipation for weeks before the shows, but after its done,its a big come-down.

Usually thats something we're lucky to have in Europe because the tour is usually 9-12 months old before they get here. Nine months of anticipation is a lot more fun than nine months of the tour continuing after YOUR last show. As I was in New York and LA last autumn, this was the first tour where I'd ever seen the band near the beginning of the tour (previously I'd only seen them in Europe, apart from the 2 'No Security shows' in Hartford which as far as I'm concerned was effectively part of a 2 year continuous BTB tour anyway) so I always had something to look forward to until my last show in London in September (by then I'd seen 9 shows in 3 weeks and I was actually happy of the break despite having had a great time on the road)

Simple solution for a man of your wealth and taste. See them in your own country if they start there next time, but make a point of seeing them overseas later on too. Everyone should see the outside their own environment if they can do it,its a different experience - I'm sure any Americans who went to Europe or elsewhere would agree. Certainly was for me.
11-13-03 03:14 PM
jb I wanted to go to London, but if you recall, MarhtaMyDear told me to stay away. I simply followed the wishes of a fellow board member. Who says I'm not civil and obedient?
11-13-03 03:16 PM
Gazza Rooster said:>Oh, I Did see an empty seat at Amsterdam Arena.....behind a fuckin' post!

ROTF...that reminds me when we were at Twickenham and were posing for a photo standing in our seats which were 10 rows from the stage. You might remember this - it was about an hour before the Stones were due on and the place was still half empty, and we both thought "dont fuckin post that pic on Rocks Off - if Josh sees it, he'll be telling everyone theres no-one there and it proves that Britain hates the Stones...."
11-13-03 03:17 PM
Joey " Who says I'm not civil and obedient? "

I think you're civil AND obedient !

Come to Joey !

11-13-03 03:17 PM
Gazza >I wanted to go to London, but if you recall, MarhtaMyDear told me to stay away. I simply followed the wishes of a fellow board member. Who says I'm not civil and obedient?

LOL..I think she recanted and requested your presence if I remember right.
11-13-03 05:39 PM
glencar I went to several stages of the tour. Clearly they played better in Europe although the setlists were shorter & generally less interesting.
11-13-03 10:40 PM
Steel Wheels I'm very into the here and now. Call me a fool but the Stones fucking bring amazing game to the stage. The 70's are long past. My Stones are so good right now it's beyond comprehension.

I love the lads - they brighten my day, my house, my life. They are one of my outlets and I treasure them.

The Stones are the most wonderful live entertainment of all time. Nothing comes close.
11-13-03 11:09 PM
LadyJane Steal Wheels....AMEN to your thoughts!!

Just checked out the Today show interview. They seem so relaxed and happy...Amazing considering these 60 year old human beings (We tend to forget that I think) just completed the longest tour in the history of the Band.

They openly admitted flaws...yet laughed...even Charlie!!

If the Stones are all laughing (yeah, I know, laughing all the way to the Bank) can still laugh after 14 months on the Road...Well....God Bless Them....

The Stones will always Rock!!

LJ.
11-14-03 02:37 AM
littleredrooster Gazza,
I remember the comment at Twickenham well!
Should have sent the postcard from Wembley!

It boils down to the fact that we all have pleasant memories from the tour and hope to relive them again.
What a roll it was!
You are impressed by your own concert experience
To criticze a show that you did not attend is CRAP!

I was lucky enough to see them in 2002, SEPT,OCT, NOV....
and 2003 JAN, FEB, AUG.......they kicked ass EVERY month!
As for their attempts at obscure songs..... they were GREAT!
Anyone hear Faraway Eyes??? Fantastic rarity! not perfect, but who cares...want perfection??? SLIP IN A DISC!.

Heartbreaker and Starfucker were GREAT live!
So was Hand Of Fate and Paint It Black!

Josh, your Armani shorts are definitely too tight and severely compromising your ability to think!
Make sure you remove them when defending your clients!

Nellie, if you are warming up the 'WAYBACK Machine' in Beantown, set it for 69 and save me a seat!
I'll take my digital still and video cameras...we could make a mint!!!

Also what's this chitter-chatter about a trade with Texas ...A ROD for Garciaparra??????

Regards,

Roostah
11-14-03 03:18 AM
Nellcote Hey Roostah! A-Rod for Nomaah makes sense, if Manny can be unloaded somewhere. One of the three payrolls is off the squad this wintah. BTW, where the #@$% is Wintah?
11-14-03 05:02 AM
Jumacfly Hi Roostah whic "faraway eyes " are you talking about?? you mean on the licks tour??

cheers
JU

ps: For an Armani short how many copies of Four Flicks can you get??
11-14-03 09:39 AM
Dandelion* I've asked elsewhere on another thread I can't find - is this thing better than the 5 dvd thing as far as archival and documentary stuff goes? Which should I buy? Of course I was answered that I need to buy this, but I have a bunch of other things piling up and don't need to add to the pile right now, something that consists of mostly live concert footage that I won't watch. So - what is the consensus of people with a little bit of critical discrimination, who would not be first in line to buy a bag of Keith's farts? Yea or nay?
11-14-03 09:45 AM
Joey " who would not be first in line to buy a bag of Keith's farts? Yea or nay? "

Nay , That is like buying a bag of Assholes .................................and I'm no Poofster !!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards !!!! "

Jacky !

11-14-03 09:47 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy This is the thing to buy. Full concerts, actual interviews... the other 5 DVD thing is crap in comparison to this.

-tSYX --- Starfucker starfucker starfucker starfucker star yes y'are...
11-14-03 09:53 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
Joey wrote:

Nay , That is like buying a bag of Assholes .................................and I'm no Poofster !!!!!!!!

Jacky !

I've heard otherwise.....

11-14-03 10:18 AM
Joey " I've heard otherwise..... "

You make Joey say .......................................

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

J. Sea Scroll !

11-14-03 10:58 AM
jb As I type this I am watching CYHMK from the MSG conceret on 4 flicks. I want to opine that the guitars are not that bad at all, but instead, the way Mick sings this is a total abortion....
Page: 1 2 3