ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

THE NEW BARBARIANS GOIN' NUTS!
With Ziggy Modeliste at the International Amphitheater, Chicago - April 30, 1979

Henry Diltz
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ROUGH EUROPEAN TOUR DATES>>> Return to archive
11-16-02 09:27 AM
SERGEI I have rough tour dates -

JUNE 4 - MUNICH (ARENA)
JUNE 6 - MUNICH (STADIUM)
JUNE 8 - MUNICH (THEATRE)
JUNE 10 - LAUSANNE STADIUM
JUNE 13 - KOLN - FILED
JUNE 15 - BERLIN
JUNE 18 - VIENNA STADIUM
JUNE 20 - LEIPZIG FESTIVAL
JUNE 22 - HOCKENHEIM - RING
JUNE 24 - VERONA STADIUM
JUNE 27 - MADRID - CALDERON
JUNE 29 - BARCELONA - BILBAO
JULY 5 - MARSEILLE - STADIUM
JULY 7 - PARIS - BERCY
JULY 9 - PARIS - STADIUM
JULY 11 - PARIS THEATRE
JULY 13 - COPENHAGEN STADIUM
JULY 16 - HELSINKI STADIUM
JULY 18 - STOCKHOLM STADIUM
JULY 20 - STOCKHOLM GLOBE
JULY 22 - STOCKHOLM CIRKUS
JULY 24 - HAMBURG TRABENBAHN
JULY 27 - BUDAPEST FESTIVAL
AUGUST 2 - BELGRADE HIPPODROME
AUGUST 4 - ZAGREB
AUGUST 8 - HANNOVER - FIELD
AUGUST 11 - ROTTERDAM - FEYENOORD
AUGUST 12 - ROTTERDAM - FEYENOORD
AUGUST 15 - ROTTERDAM - AHOY
AUGUST 17 - AMSTERDAM - HMH
AUGUST 19 - AMSTERDAM ARENA
AUGUST 20 - AMSTERDAM ARENA
AUGUST 23 - LONDON OR BELGIUM
AUGUST 25 - LONDON
AUGUST 28 - LONDON
AUGUST 30 - UK FESTIVAL?
SEPTEMBER 1 - BELGIUM OR LONDON

11-16-02 09:35 AM
luxury1 Wow--this guy is good!!
11-16-02 09:48 AM
Nellcote He nailed the Toronto gig dead on!
11-16-02 10:08 AM
Moonisup
quote:
SERGEI wrote:
I have rough tour dates -

AUGUST 11 - ROTTERDAM - FEYENOORD
AUGUST 12 - ROTTERDAM - FEYENOORD
AUGUST 15 - ROTTERDAM - AHOY
AUGUST 17 - AMSTERDAM - HMH
AUGUST 19 - AMSTERDAM ARENA
AUGUST 20 - AMSTERDAM ARENA

they will also play paradiso!!!
11-16-02 10:48 AM
FotiniD Sergei, are there in-between dates missing as well? I see no Athens
11-16-02 11:21 AM
marcus aurelianus SERGUEI , how can we thank you ?

But to what extent are these dates sure ? For example , here in Europe , people were absolutly sure there would be a concert at Benidorm ( in Spain ). I can't see any Benidorm
now ... The dates concerning England seem quite unsure ..

Could you please give us some more details , if you can of course .

11-16-02 11:30 AM
RubyFriday shit.......I hope this is an error..
11-16-02 12:25 PM
WahWahWoody I also hope this isn't going to be the definite list. There are so many differences to the other rumoured lists circulating, but on the other hand Sergej is somebody you can probably trust. Please Sergej, could you tell us how certain these dates are and when will they be announced officially? Just can't wait any longer....
11-16-02 12:28 PM
Moonisup I think there are now 3 different tourschedules floating around
11-16-02 01:19 PM
egon don't see them do amsterdam arena AND rotterdam feyenoord
(both stadiums) these cities are only 60km from eachother, so doesn't make sence.

marseille july 5th??? please let it be true!!!
11-16-02 01:27 PM
Scot Rocks Oh shit!!!!

no Scotland dates anywhere!!!!!!

Thanks Sergei anyway, we appreciate your info here.

I just hope there might be a few changes

Mark
11-16-02 03:02 PM
Dan >AUGUST 30 - UK FESTIVAL?

Reading Festival...?
11-16-02 08:37 PM
mandrack SERGEI,you are THE MAN!!!
You made my day,thanks a lot,
hope this is true.
Still some days missing,
but summer 2003 will be great one!
Any infos about China????
11-16-02 09:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man Dont worry Mark!

The Stones WILL play in Scotland! When was the last time they did a major tour and they didnt? Same goes for the North of England. Okay, so the North has not had a fair deal since the "Urban Jungle Tour", but Sheffield is a sure bet. Surely?

Sergei, seems very reliable, so im sure those dates are correct, but im sure there will be more UK dates. We can only hope!

As for the Festival show, id say Glastonbury is the most likely, though the NME is reporting that Radiohead and REM are two of the proposed headlining acts. Maybe the Stones will get the "Oldies Sunday Slot" which is what happend this year with Rod Stewart and ERRRMMM, ROGER WATERS?!!!!

Reading/Leeds and of course Glasgow Gig On The Green are where all the "hip" bands play. Nothing against my favourite band, but i cant see it happening!

Lets just see what happens!

THEY WILL ROCK SCOTLAND!

Alex, The ROLLING STONE (THANKS GERARDO!)
11-17-02 03:57 PM
Gazza AUGUST 23 - LONDON OR BELGIUM
AUGUST 25 - LONDON
AUGUST 28 - LONDON
AUGUST 30 - UK FESTIVAL?
SEPTEMBER 1 - BELGIUM OR LONDON

Dan said : "READING FESTIVAL" ??

Quite a possibility going by those dates. That festival takes place (as far as I recall) over the August bank holiday weekend (which in 2003 will be the weekend of 23-24 August as the bank holiday will be Monday the 25th)

Glastonbury takes place at the end of June, so if this info is correct,that rules out THAT festival.

Also, someone posted a few days ago (Fraser,I think) that there would be a large outdoor show quite near London - Reading is barely half an hour out of the capital, so that would make a lot of sense - especially if it's being treated as London's "stadium" show...(by the way,for those of you outside the Uk,its pronounced "Redding", as in 'Otis'..)

that said,its fucking hideous if the only British Isles shows are being confined to the London area. As usual, the rest of the country gets fucked over as the capital gets a disproportionately high amount of shows even though its so far geographically from the rest of the country. The Stones shouldn't be playing festivals, either IMO
11-17-02 04:04 PM
Moonisup the stones should play where they draw crowds, 3 times in the london area does not make sense then
11-17-02 04:14 PM
Gazza nonsense - London has 8 million people. they sold 140,000 tickets there in 1999, two years after a studio album had come out,so there was little product to promote

Theyre touring on the back of a greatest hits CD which has sold very well. If they're playing more than one show,then obviously one of those will be a theatre gig, and at least one an arena - one arena and one theatre gig is only about 20,000 tickets at most - add on one stadium show to that and its still less tnan 100,000 tickets available. They'd sell that amount easily.
11-17-02 04:20 PM
Gazza ...meant to emphasise that I have no problem with London getting three shows as its a big enough area population wise - its the obvious part of the country for them to do the arena/stadium/theatre concept.

I just think there should be more shows in the north of the UK - certainly the least they could do is a large show in Lancashire/Yorkshire/Midlands and another in Scotland or Ireland
11-17-02 04:26 PM
Moonisup Well Let's face it, London ain't exactly stonesminded anymore, it's all britpop and that shit!

I really hope you'll get some shows in ireland, and Scotland, that would make some good people happy! I certainly want them to play near Scot rocks, he deserves it!

[Edited by Moonisup]
11-17-02 04:41 PM
Gazza >Well Let's face it, London ain't exactly stonesminded anymore, it's all britpop and that shit!

Personally,I dont agree. maybe in 1997 or so, Besides the Stones basically invented that style anyway,so I think youd find that many people who would go see those bands would like to see the Stones anyway. A band that can fill wembley stadium twice over is hardly unpopular. it might not be the level of Germany or Holland,but the Stones can still fill stadiums in the Uk and they will do next year.

>I really hope you'll get some shows in ireland, and Scotland, that would make some good people happy! I certainly want them to play near Scot rocks, he deserves it!

oh fuck him...(just kiddin' Mark)..Scotland got a show in 1990 and 1999. We havent had one since 1982. In fact,thats the only Stones Irish show in the last 37 years....and bollocks to Dublin too...Belfast is a more appreciative audience as any performer will tell you. Time they played here.. we have an excellent spanking new concert arena right here for them...

11-17-02 04:50 PM
Moonisup Oh yeah, I know they fill stadiums, I hope they will!
11-17-02 07:16 PM
Honky Tonk Man I forgot Glastonbury was in June!

Well i guess Reading/Leeds (those shows are a package) are the festivals they may play. If they do the Leeds show they will not be snubbing the North, then again they may only play Reading!

All the UK shows will sell out easily. As Gazza pointed out. 40 Licks did pretty well. Reached no 2, same as the United States.

Its such a shame i wont get to see the Stones at Wembley. Its become part of the band since the 82 UK Tour.

Moonisup, Britpop died in 1997! And it wasnt just big in the UK!

Alex

11-17-02 07:44 PM
Gazza yeah the mystique about Wembley may be one thing,Alex but the reality is something else

Wembley was a terrible bloody stadium. For football, the sightlines were lousy. For concerts,it was just OK as far as stadiums go but considering it was opened in 1923, it was a national embarrassment facilities-wise by the time they put it out of its misery. It existed on it's 'legend' status for decades past it's sell-by date. Compared to the Stade de France or many of the others in europe (the only others I can speak from experience concert wise are the Parc des Princes in paris and de kuip (Feyenoord) in Rotterdam,it fell way short

The only decent stadium in the UK I ever saw the Stones in was Murrayfield in Edinburgh. Hampden Park was falling to bits in 1990 (so much so that they closed the grandstand for safety reasons just before the day of the show and moved the Stones' stage in front of it) , but has been thankfully improved. Kind of ironic they'll probably play a stadium show in London (if anywhere) yet the best half dozen or so available stadiums in all of the UK are nowhere near the capital - ie Cardiff, Manchester, Sunderland (so I believe) plus at least three in Scotland (Ibrox, Celtic Park, Murrayfield - and maybe Hampden, although I haven't been in it since they restored it). Dublin also has a couple of decent ones too!

11-17-02 08:50 PM
Honky Tonk Man I dont mean to mimick every thing you say Gazza, but i agree about Wembley being run down and the poor view. I was there in 97 or 98 to see a Football match and i remember what a state its in! But there is nostalgia attached to the place. Maybe when we win the World Cup in 2006 will the nostalgia fade a bit.

The ground in Sunderland is called "The Stadium Of Light" Awful name but from what ive seen on tv, its a buetiful ground. So's Old Trafford. Alot of the grounds used by Premiership teams are pretty decent, they're just not bloody great big dome things like they have in the United States.

Do many famous bands play in Belfast? Ive being flicking through some of my music magazines and it seems that most bands tend to go for venues like The Dublin Olympia and The Point, also in Dublin.

Didnt i read a post recently saying yo saw Rod Stewart in Belfast quite recently?

How about the ground where Northern Irleand play? Landsdown Road isnt it?

Alex
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
11-17-02 10:09 PM
Gazza >Do many famous bands play in Belfast?

They used to...in the 70's NO-ONE played here because they were scared shitless. By the 80's it improved and we had a few years where a lot of top acts played here..I think they did at first for the novelty factor of playing somewhere supposedly 'dangerous' but the place got a good reputation for appreciateive audiences...in the last few years its declined a bit - the novelty's obviously worn off,although personally I think the promoters have become very lazy and unambitious.

>Ive being flicking through some of my music magazines and it seems that most bands tend to go for venues like The Dublin Olympia and The Point, also in Dublin.

The Olympia is a small and old theatre. maybe 1,200 capacity. I saw Tom Waits there in 1987...lovely old theatre. The main 'arenas' are the Point (opened by U2 in 1989) and the RDS Simmonscourt arena (basically an exhibition centre) . However,the new Odyssey Arena (opened two years ago) in Belfast is actually bigger than either of them. Oasis,the Stereophonics, Travis, David Gray have all played there in recent weeks. Its primarily used for ice hockey - the Belfast Giants are reigning UK champions and the world amateur boxing championships were held there last year. Westlife sold out 12 shows there (ie 110,000 seats). no accounting for taste!! Elton's there next month too. Before that,most big acts coming to Belfast played the King's Hall, which is an exhibition centre - with horrible acoustics.

>Didnt i read a post recently saying yo saw Rod Stewart in Belfast quite recently?

yes.. he played Stormont in July (the grounds of the N.Irish parliament..they allow a show every summer there. Nice setting - bit of a yuppie crowd though...great show,however)

>How about the ground where Northern Irleand play? Landsdown Road isnt it?

No..N.Ireland play at Windsor Park which is also Linfield's home ground (the team I support)..its a decent enough size for the size of our population but I doubt you'd use it for a major concert as its in a built up area. Lansdowne Road is the main rugby and football stadium in DUBLIN - the Irish rugby team and the Republic of Ireland football team play there. Good stadium, however not as good or as big as Croke Park,which is used exclusively for Gaelic football and after recently being modernised is now the 4th biggest sports stadium in Europe (after San Siro,Milan, the Nou Camp,Barcelona and The Bernabeu in madrid). I think it now holds about 85,000. Its been used in the past for concerts (U2 in 1987,most notably) but I doubt it will in the future as the GAA are very reluctant to use it for anything apart from gaelic football (so much so,that it'll probably fuck up the Scottish & Irish joint bid for the 2008 Euro championships)
11-18-02 11:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well thanks for clearing some of that up Gazza. I knew Landsdown Road was in one of the Irelands!

Lets just all agree that its a disgrace the UK is not getting more shows!

Alex
11-18-02 11:12 AM
jb Congrats Moon...six dAtes!!!!