ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

THE NEW BARBARIANS GOIN' NUTS!
With Ziggy Modeliste at the International Amphitheater, Chicago - April 30, 1979

Henry Diltz
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The best bit of a guest player on a Stones song was... Return to archive
11-16-02 08:06 AM
TT Al Kooper�s organ on YOU GOT THE SILVER
or
the choir girls on I JUST WANNA SEE HIS FACE
or
Ry Cooder�s slide guitar on SISTER MORPHINE.

More?
11-16-02 08:10 AM
Zack Billy Preston on Heartbreaker.

Wayne Perkins of Hand of Fate

Sonny Rollins on Slave.
11-16-02 08:59 AM
gypsymofo60 Unless I've read this wrong, Geoff Bradford, and Tony Chapman might have something to say. Curly Claytonn's studios 1962.
11-16-02 09:04 AM
gypsymofo60 Or Eric Clapton on 'Brown Sugar'. But all time..Sonny Rollins, or Tom Waites. As for live I'll go with Taj. The fact that after 'Rock n' Roll Circus it took 30 years for a team up is a crime against music.
11-17-02 02:02 PM
FPM C10
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Or Eric Clapton on 'Brown Sugar'. But all time..Sonny Rollins, or Tom Waites. As for live I'll go with Taj. The fact that after 'Rock n' Roll Circus it took 30 years for a team up is a crime against music.

As much as I LOVE Tom Waits (his name forms a complete sentence! "Waites" is the surname of John Waites, the guy who was in the Babys. Tom was NEVER a baby. Sprang full-grown from his mama's forehead in the back seat of a cab!) I've never been able to ascertain exactly WHAT he did on "Dirty Work".

But Sonny Rollins...the Saxophone Colossus gets my vote, both for "Slave" and "Waiting On A Friend". Truly cooooool collaboration. Wish they coulda got Miles like they wanted to, but Sonny was the next best thing.

If they HAD worked with Miles, maybe Darryl would've replaced Bill even sooner!

And he coulda skipped that who embarrassing Sting episode.

11-17-02 02:26 PM
sasca Does Nicky Hopkins count as a guest? Then how about his piano on 'No Expectations'. Like water splashing on a stone.
11-17-02 02:31 PM
Moonisup Flaco Jamingez on sweethearts together!! Love the arcordeon
11-17-02 02:39 PM
FPM C10
quote:
sasca wrote:
Does Nicky Hopkins count as a guest? Then how about his piano on 'No Expectations'. Like water splashing on a stone.

No, I would say Nicky did NOT count as a guest, anymore than Bobby Keys does. Every note he played was perfect for the Stones and I'd really have a hard time picking out one song. And with Bobby - well, if you're gonna count him, then I guess we just say "Bobby Keys on 'Brown Sugar' " and close the case.

I forgot about Flaco Jiminez - different musical genre, but same league as Sonny Rollins. Heavy Hitter. Above and Beyond, Before and After.
11-17-02 04:45 PM
Nasty Habits Merry Clayton. Gimme Shelter. Hands Down.

God love Rollins -- he is amazing on Waiting, Slave and Neighbors, too, yes?

Clydie King (?) on Let It Loose.

Sugar Blue. Miss You.

11-17-02 05:02 PM
Cant Catch Me Is this only studio recordings, or live too? For live guests, John Lee Hooker in Atlantic City for the PPV in '89 was pretty cool.
11-17-02 05:08 PM
gypsy I gotta go with Merry Clayton and Ry Cooder.
11-17-02 05:48 PM
SirMuddy Nanette Workman on Country Honk!
Yes... Workman was the real name of Nanette Newman...
BTW she's also the one who's singing Loving cup with Frampton, Keys, Price and Keltner...
It's on her first solo Lp... and the writing credit go only to Keith Richards!
11-17-02 09:16 PM
Angiegirl I can just keep thinking 'bout the worst one i saw: Dave Matthews on Memory Motel in Amsterdam 98. Ugh! 3 nights in a row he tortured us! And we had to sit through his opening act all 5 nights as well.
11-17-02 09:32 PM
full moon Sugar Blue!!