ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

THE NEW BARBARIANS GOIN' NUTS!
With Ziggy Modeliste at the International Amphitheater, Chicago - April 30, 1979

Henry Diltz
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Recording Of Bridges To Babylon Return to archive
11-16-02 02:03 AM
no_cole_porter Hi Guys,
I've got another question for you all. Bridges To Babylon was in my opinion one of the best sounding Stones albums from the trilogy of Steel/Voodoo/Bridges period. But after reading Old Gods, Almost Dead was the recording of the album as bitchy and fucked up and unpleasant as Stephen Davis claims?
11-16-02 02:33 AM
2000 Man Nothing Steven Davis claims is true. His main source is Nick Kent, who made up everything he ever wrote about the Stones.

I wouldn't believe Steven Davis if he told me he had to shit.
11-16-02 03:50 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
2000 Man wrote:
His main source is Nick Kent, who made up everything he ever wrote about the Stones.

i think you're being a litte unfair there 2000 man... he may well have been guilty of the odd embellishment and exercise of poetic licence but he was actually "on the ground" as it were, at least for a short while
11-16-02 03:57 AM
beer There's video footage of them recording "Bridges". I've seen bits and pieces of it on the video called "Mick Jagger: Ultimate Performer". It looked like they were all getting along fine, but who knows.
11-16-02 09:13 AM
corgi37 Nick Kent? Is that the same Nick Kent from the mid 70's? English guy? Keith was once going to deck him for a scathing revue Kent did on Black and BLue? He cant still be alive, writing, and credible?
11-16-02 09:36 AM
gypsymofo60 Nick Kent has got to be at least ten years older than me at least! He is one of those tossers I have spoken of in the past, terrified since 1976 of being seen as redundant in the face of punk. Trouble is he fails to see that punk ended like 25/6 years ago and still panders to the pretty young things on all things musical. The cunt needs to fucking grow up, god help 'im if he wrote me a shit review, I'd Search and Destroy, pay no attention to English rock critics, they 'aven't got a fucking clue, and they 'aven't got the bottle to respond to criticism either, coz if I had the spirit of my convictions, I would come here, and at least try to defend the unmittigated bullshit I spout weekly/monthly in the irrelevant music press I hide behind. Nick Kent; In the words of REEF...."Yer Old, Yer Old, Yer Old, Yer Old......Ahhh Listen mate! Yer Old, Yer Old, YerOld fucking old!
11-16-02 10:00 AM
Moonisup it's true keith and ron had a little fight!!!

Ronnie said that himself!!!
11-16-02 10:11 AM
Hannalee
quote:
it's true keith and ron had a little fight!!!

You mean when Keith started to throttle him and had to be dragged off by main force....
11-16-02 10:21 AM
Moonisup yup
11-16-02 10:36 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i think you're being a litte unfair there 2000 man... he may well have been guilty of the odd embellishment and exercise of poetic licence but he was actually "on the ground" as it were, at least for a short while

Who? Kent? .....A cunt! ...One of the legion who at 26/27 years of age thought it was hip to jump on the British punk bandwagon and deride the same bands that 17/18& 19 year olds were deriding. I loved punk! The Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, The Aussie Saints, Birdman, but I hated how they derided the very groups/artists that paved the way for them. Why didn't they survive? Because they cut their own fucking throats, that's why, they promised so much and yet failed to deliver, because at the end of the day they weren't fit to spit& polish The Stones, or The Who's shoes, end of story.
11-16-02 06:22 PM
sasca But he wore a fine scarf.
11-16-02 06:33 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Nick Kent? Is that the same Nick Kent from the mid 70's? English guy? Keith was once going to deck him for a scathing revue Kent did on Black and BLue? He cant still be alive, writing, and credible?

actually they hung out together for awhile - there's no denying (indeed kent wouldn't deny it himself) that he was a little in thrall of keith (but who wouldn't be)

kent was also in an embryonic version of the sex pistols and he actually did get attacked by sid vicious - sid took to him with a bike chain in a punk night club - kent did a good piece on vicious "the scum also rises" aka "sid vicious - the exploding dim wit" - has a recounting of a confession of sid re nancy s's unattractive demise (ugly deaths for ugly people)- for those of you who interestd in that sort of thing

yes he's still alive - yes he's still writing - as for his credibility well if half the musicians getting around could play as well as kent could write there'd be a lot more good music

for me kent and charles shaar murray are in a leauge of their own (not least for their wit)- lester b. i loved too -his humour was great his perceptions were always spot on (imho)

people(and clearly gmf60 is one of them) seem to dismiss these guys as hack r'n'r journalists because they worked for the nme - i've mentioned murray's "crosstown traffic" before as being excellent - he also did a wonderfully - lovingly comprehensive biog. of john lee hooker "boogie man" - this isn't hack journalism - but well researched, well thought out and well written work that shows why guys like davis and hotchner are, indeed, scum-bag hacks

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-16-02 11:48 PM
gypsymofo60 I don't deny the guy writes lucid, insightful stuff, that's probably why I dislike him so much, because he was always able to get under my skin. What I never liked was the way he, and others of his ilk pandered to punk, dismissing great bands like The Stones, and The Who, and I can't deny I dislike The NME for similar reasons. Charles Shar Murray on the other hand I have nothing against. I have read at least one book of his and found it quite good, and I have never heard him dismiss the 60s & early 70s groups. With Kent it was more his revolting flannel job with punk that bugged me, anything to hang off their coat-tails. Call me ignorarnt! But after that I just couldn't relate to anything he wrote. Nick Kent was a pseudo-punk, not a proto-punk, in fact most punks wanted to beat the shit out of him as I recall.
11-17-02 01:35 PM
sasca And, in the case of Sid Vicious, did. With a bicycle chain.
11-17-02 09:55 PM
MrJimmy punks been going full blast and hasent stopped since 1975 you people dont know shit about it so shut up. How can you mention bands like radio birdman and still be fucking clueless? I dont get it, never will
11-17-02 10:07 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
MrJimmy wrote:
punks been going full blast and hasent stopped since 1975 you people dont know shit about it so shut up. How can you mention bands like radio birdman and still be fucking clueless? I dont get it, never will

mr.jimmy.. could you expand on that a bit i don't quite get your point

11-17-02 10:33 PM
MrJimmy Im saying this to english people (end everyone else that says punk is dead and fizzled out in 77). What ever country you hail from has contributed to punk rock at on time or another, and this continues to this day. The avrage joe that listened to punk in the 70s quit when it was out of the public eye but it didnt end there. I just hate to hear people say that its dead like the english people that think they fucking invented rock and punk. And if you are from Australia Id like to say thanks for giving us, Radio Birdman, The Saints, The Fun Things The Celibate Rifles,The Scientists,The Lime Spiders,The Hitmen, The Exploding White Mice,The Victims,The New Christs,The Lipstick Killers,The Screaming Tribesmen,New Race, AC/DC,The Stems,x,The Psycho Surgeons and any other band I forgot. But no thanks for wa wa nee (we all make mistakes)
11-17-02 10:38 PM
BILL PERKS DO NOT INCLUDE AC/DC WITH THAT OTHER TRIPE YOU SUSSED.PUNK DIED WHEN YOUR MOTHER SLEPT WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND-GO DOLPHINS!
11-17-02 10:53 PM
stonedinaustralia bill yer right ac/dc sholdn't be included in that list imho - they were hard rock and i don't consider the rest tripe (although i was never much for "the screamong tribesman" who were pub-rockers who jumped on the band wagon) - as for the rest well i'd have also included the birthday party and the bad seeds - to name but two

for what it's worth i was on the scene at the time and i knew or indeed still know some of the memebers of the bands you mentioned - giles from "exploding white mice" is an old old friend of mine - apologies for name - dropping

as you probably aware, the saints and birdman were cooking up their noise not long after (if not at the same) that the ramones were doing it in nyc - yer right the english didn't invent "punk rock" whatever that means

as for ac/dc - i'm not a great fan tho i did like some of the bon era stuff ("whole lotta rosie" is great) - but i have an interesting story - in 1972 i was living in a small country town 150 miles or so from adelaide (i was 14) anyway this band from adelaide came through the town as part of a tour they were doing of country towns - they played the local hall to an audience of less than 150 high school kids - the band "fraternity" - the band's lead singer - mr. bon scott

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-17-02 11:00 PM
MrJimmy AC/DC was mentioned because they are from Australia not because of Genre. However I think AC/DC and anything Rob Younger did can be put in the same catagory because of the macho type of rnr that it is.
11-18-02 12:19 AM
gypsymofo60 Hey Jimbo! What English people have you been speaking to? English people don't claim they invented punk. They all doffed their hats to Iggy, Lou Reed, Ramones, Television, etc. As for punk being alive today, sorry mate! It aint! What gets passed for punk today is a cadaverous, OAP with no teeth. Australians don't recognise Wa Wa Nee, they were nothing more than a slip up.........Hey Stonedin Australia did you get the email I sent you?
11-18-02 12:31 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Hey Stonedin Australia did you get the email I sent you?

gmf60, when did you send it??

i got your receet private message and answered it - did you get the answer?

i've been having problems with my mailbox

please let me know when you sent the email

thanx

11-18-02 12:50 AM
gypsymofo60 SIA, sorry it's all my stupid fault! mine and my inbox, I've sent you two private messages. GM60
11-18-02 01:03 AM
stonedinaustralia gmf60 -
don't apologise - these technical stuff ups are a bit unavoidable at times

i've answered your first and have received both pms

i think we're up to speed now

11-18-02 01:21 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
gmf60 -
don't apologise - these technical stuff ups are a bit unavoidable at times

i've answered your first and have received both pms