ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stax or Motown? Return to archive
13th November 2007 06:11 PM
texile I just watched the pbs documentary on dvd and i must ask the question once again.

is it stax or motown?

yes, stax had otis, cropper, duck, cropper etc..

but motown had marvin, smoky, holland/dozier/holland...
just a richer, more expansive catalogue.

but it was stax for me first -
i always liked to be different and motown was public domain, americana - EVERYBODY could love it.
but i knew there was a big difference between my girl and knock on wood...
when i was in high school, i went on a mission to collect every stax 45 ever released....and it was that 70s era fingersnap that always popped out at me at the local flea market..
finding them was like finding gold...
i hadn't even heard of half these songs...(like rufus' breakdown, or some other rare hit - i felt like i was discovering something sacred for myself)
stax, early and later eras, had a SOUND and i knew that as soon as they hit the turntable, i would be hooked on that indefinable funk.
motown has the legend, but stax had a real story about being the underdog, about the south....

so what is it?
13th November 2007 07:10 PM
Mel Belli I don't wanna push the analogy too far, but I've always thought that Stax was Stonesy and Motown was Beatles-y.
13th November 2007 07:15 PM
stonedinaustralia my analogy

at stax everybody could work up a sweat

but not at motown where only the male artists were permitted to gently perspire

great question tex
13th November 2007 07:27 PM
Sioux I agree. Stax is much rawer, wilder, bluesier....I do prefer Stax overall, although I love Smokey, Marvin, early Stevie, and Martha Reeves...

Stax had Otis. 'Nuff said.
13th November 2007 07:30 PM
andrews27 Brunswick!
13th November 2007 08:10 PM
lotsajizz Stax...gotta love American too
13th November 2007 09:01 PM
Kilroy Stax for the sweat
13th November 2007 11:02 PM
texile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I don't wanna push the analogy too far, but I've always thought that Stax was Stonesy and Motown was Beatles-y.

that's how i see it,

stax was the stones to the motown's beatles....
14th November 2007 12:02 AM
sirmoonie Thats crazy talk. Motown being Beatleish. Thats crazy talk, man. Motown blowed doors. Love it!
14th November 2007 02:28 PM
Blowey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Thats crazy talk. Motown being Beatleish. Thats crazy talk, man. Motown blowed doors. Love it!

I miss the old ' Liberace Show' .

It was like a Giant COCKtail Party .

Tons of women with their icky thingy's spilling out everywhere .. the men, THE MEN!, with their Gold Medallions nestled in THATCHES of Chest Hair .

HOT DAMN !!!! OH HOT DAAAAMN!!!!!!!

" What a Friggin Party Ronnie ! "

Sigh...

B. Fly ! ™
14th November 2007 02:33 PM
Child of the Moon It's hard to say, because I grew up with Motown, for the most part. Stax, yes, has the essential sweat and some of the finest musicians to ever assemble on record. But too much of it sounds the same to my ears. Motown was a bit more expansive; their sonic palette went further than just, I dunno, Memphis soul.

And honestly? Never into Otis.
14th November 2007 06:53 PM
texile
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
It's hard to say, because I grew up with Motown, for the most part. Stax, yes, has the essential sweat and some of the finest musicians to ever assemble on record. But too much of it sounds the same to my ears. Motown was a bit more expansive; their sonic palette went further than just, I dunno, Memphis soul.

And honestly? Never into Otis.

true,
motown was more versatile...
and that's why i ultimately can't choose one over the other.
but stax had something more earthy, something rooted in southern music culture, both black and white...
it was distinctive in a way that motown could be processed.
14th November 2007 06:57 PM
texile that didn't make sense,
i meant to say stax' roots gave it a more distinctive quality whereas, motown could sometimes seem processed.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)