ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Musical Genius? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
5th November 2007 03:49 PM
Joey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
You can test for genius...IQ over 140 I think...Course that doesnt mean anyone actually accomplishes anything with all that brain power...They did IQ tests in school.I was too stoned and fucked it all up...

Damn Straight !!!

IQ means nothing and the world is FULL of over-educated derelicts .

" Persistence alone makes one a success " ( Keith John Moon , 1856 ) .

Sassy Cakes ! ™

5th November 2007 05:03 PM
Martha Dylan & Zappa
5th November 2007 06:57 PM
gypsy
quote:
Martha wrote:
Dylan & Zappa

For my Martha:

He was just a young whippersnapper then, wasn't he?
5th November 2007 08:12 PM
Dino37 That is an amazing bike!

5th November 2007 09:04 PM
Dr Iff I don't want to disturb this good nostalgic vibe, but I want to comment on this topic. I suppose there are musical geniuses; Mozart, Steve Vai, Yingwe Malsteen, Zappa, Yes. Rush, but I have little or no desire to listen to them. For me music is more about resonance than genius. Keith's music has always resonated with me. Mick's unique character has always held my interest long enough for the music to reach me. The idea of writing songs that reinforce getting wasted, falling in love, and paying the price has always worked for me. The Stones never got too political as I recall. Though I'm sure they did somewhere. I like Bowie, the Dead, Bob Marley, Claude Debussy, and Eric Satie. But I don't know if anyone would call them geniuses.
5th November 2007 09:11 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Dr Iff wrote:
I suppose there are musical geniuses; Steve Vai, Yingwe Malsteen, Zappa, Yes. Rush,

LOL
5th November 2007 09:19 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

LOL

The French have dubbed this man a musical genius...Hard to argue

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
6th November 2007 01:15 PM
Martha
quote:
gypsy wrote:

For my Martha:

He was just a young whippersnapper then, wasn't he?

THANK YOU darlin'! I LOVE this shot. Never seen it. You just made my DAY!

Love you hon,
Martha
6th November 2007 02:37 PM
mirfälltkeinnameein [ Keith's music has always resonated with me. Mick's unique character has always held my interest long enough for the music to reach me.

i know, i repeat myself, sorry, also for being a bit ot, but this is something, what i don´t understand: the songwriter Keith, Keith´s music etc. Many seem to overlook, that Mick writes songs, music as well. he is not only the singer. so, i had to say that somewhere :-)

6th November 2007 02:42 PM
stewed & Keefed
6th November 2007 08:20 PM
the good
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I dont find any of the Stones to be musical geniuses individually. What's great about them however is a collective thing. The sum being much more than the combined value of all of the parts.

Then again, youve just said that the entire concept of genius is bullshit.

being the BIGGEST band of all time isnt based on opinion. It's pretty self evident. Most influential is debatable and cant really be proven.

BEST band though is entirely a matter of opinion and taste. Stones every time.

The concept of genius is bullshit. Crap. Feces. Dung. But whatever. Some people still deserve special recognition. Keith is one of these people in my view. He has written a lot of the most instantly recognizable music of all time. I think people will still be humming his riffs a hundred years from now.
6th November 2007 08:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Garth Brooks???

Garth Brooks has dethroned Elvis Presley
Rolling Stone
11/6/07

Garth Brooks has dethroned Elvis Presley to become the best-selling solo artist in history. According to the RIAA, who presented Brooks with a Special Career award for the honor, the country superstar has sold 123 million total units, compared to Elvis’ 118.5 million. “This award reflects the magnitude of the country audience and what they can accomplish when they act together,” Brooks said. His fans, however, are wondering whatever happened to alter-ego Chris Gaines.

6th November 2007 08:48 PM
the good
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Garth Brooks???

Garth Brooks has dethroned Elvis Presley
Rolling Stone
11/6/07

Garth Brooks has dethroned Elvis Presley to become the best-selling solo artist in history. According to the RIAA, who presented Brooks with a Special Career award for the honor, the country superstar has sold 123 million total units, compared to Elvis’ 118.5 million. “This award reflects the magnitude of the country audience and what they can accomplish when they act together,” Brooks said. His fans, however, are wondering whatever happened to alter-ego Chris Gaines.

This proves that life isn't a tragedy. Its a comedy.
6th November 2007 08:49 PM
Sioux Ohhhh, ohhhhhhhh.....moan....
7th November 2007 09:46 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Why do we care if someone's a musical genius?...I've wasted the last 25 years accumulating music made by a bunch of C students...It's only rock n' roll

C students? You don't get into LSE with a C average, mate. And I take it you don't listen to Zappa, then.
7th November 2007 09:56 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

C students? You don't get into LSE with a C average, mate. And I take it you don't listen to Zappa, then.

How bout the rest of them?...what were their grades?
7th November 2007 09:58 PM
mojoman
quote:
Martha wrote:
Dylan & Zappa

yes!!!
7th November 2007 10:35 PM
MrPleasant
7th November 2007 10:54 PM
mojoman
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

yes!! don van vliet.

7th November 2007 11:07 PM
Kilroy Keith, Mick and with,Charlie, Bill Together
Lennon & with Macca, George, (Richie) Together
Jerry Lee Lewis alone
Hank Williams alive
Bob no question and FRANK ZAPPA, (God I Miss Him)
[Edited by Kilroy]
7th November 2007 11:15 PM
andrews27 The first 2/3 of Mozart's career is ripped off from Haydn. Play them back to back sometimes - after a couple hours you won't even know your own name.
7th November 2007 11:47 PM
Martha
quote:
mojoman wrote:

yes!!!

Do you know they've shared the same tour managers?
7th November 2007 11:52 PM
Dr Iff
quote:
mirfälltkeinnameein wrote:
i know, i repeat myself, sorry, also for being a bit ot, but this is something, what i don´t understand: the songwriter Keith, Keith´s music etc. Many seem to overlook, that Mick writes songs, music as well. he is not only the singer. so, i had to say that somewhere :-)

You're right. Mick does indeed write a majority of the words, and a good deal of the music. He's a very good musician. My apologies if I conveyed otherwise. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I listen to everything Kieth writes solo, and to me, it's just as good as the stones. Mick on the other hand, solo at any rate, just doesn't do that much for me. I love him to death. His voice is one of my favs. Without Keith he's like...Rod without the faces. I don't know what to put past him, a big band CD? Country?
8th November 2007 09:13 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
The first 2/3 of Mozart's career is ripped off from Haydn. Play them back to back sometimes - after a couple hours you won't even know your own name.

That bastard Mozart was sampling?....Well I'll be.....
8th November 2007 12:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Top 10 musical geniuses
Mike Devlin
Canwest News Service
Monday, November 05, 2007

Be wary of using the word genius when describing a musician. Once, we championed Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails as such (hey, it was around the time of 1994's The Downward Spiral, which is pretty awesome).

But our comment elicited immediate scorn from our classically trained friend. "Beethoven is a genius," he said, looking down upon us in a manner familiar to classically trained musicians, "not the half-wit you're talking about."

Given our past predilections, when fellow TC arts reporter Adrian Chamberlain sent our way a list of the Top 100 Living Geniuses, as published last week by Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper, we approached it with hesitation.

We couldn't resist the opportunity to create our very own Top 10 list citing our favourite pop, rock, country and rap geniuses. Musical snobs likely won't agree -- as payback, we aren't including classical composers or musicians -- but this is our list, not theirs. So there.

1. Rick Rubin. Anyone who can produce speed metal act Slayer and country king Johnny Cash -- in the same year -- deserves to top our list. Rubin, via his rap record label, Def Jam, brought us the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy; his rock record label, Def American, gave us the Black Crowes and System of a Down. On the side, he worked with Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Dixie Chicks and Neil Diamond. No one has created more meaningful music in the modern era than Rubin. Choice recording: 99 Problems, from Jay-Z's The Black Album.

2. Jimi Hendrix. By pioneering the use of sustained feedback in rock music, Hendrix catapulted past everyone in the late 1960s, including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. His mastery of the electric guitar has drawn frequent comparisons to classical composers for its sheer brilliance. Hendrix, who died of a drug overdose at 27, arguably will never be surpassed. Choice recording: Red House, from Are You Experienced?

3. Prince. His ability to survive lawsuits and trends, along with a controversial name change, has kept Prince in the spotlight for much of his 30-year career. He's bizarre and contradictory, but his challenging melange of funk, blues and rock has nonetheless earned him a place among rock royalty. Choice recording: Purple Rain, from Purple Rain.

4. Dr. Dre. When rappers and singers want that "Dre sound" -- a laidback groove bursting with big beats, tinkling pianos and THC-induced keyboards -- they pay as much as $2 million for the famed producer, who is credited with popularizing previously unknown rappers Snoop Dogg, Eminem, the Game and 50 Cent. Choice recording: Still D.R.E., from 2001.

5. Bob Dylan. The degree of deception at Bob Dylan's disposal is limitless. He's an irreverent folkie -- no wait, a babbling bluesman. Or is he a latent protest singer? Whatever hat he's wearing, or instrument he's playing, Dylan prides himself on being a paradox. Still capable of brilliance at 66, Dylan continues to surprise. Choice recording: Tryin' to Get to Heaven, from Time Out of Mind.

6. The Beatles. The Fab Four are an obvious choice, given their past contributions. But it is important to remember the state of the music world at the time of their arrival. They changed everything for the better, and became the world's biggest-selling group in the process. Choice recording: Norwegian Wood, from Rubber Soul.

7. Björk. One of the best debuts in history is 1993's Debut, a dizzying and slightly disturbing dance-pop classic that reinvented this former Sugarcubes frontwoman as an Icelandic island unto herself. Weird? David Lynch is weird. Björk is seriously freaky. But in a good way. Choice recording: Human Behaviour, from Debut.

8. Muddy Waters. Never has the blues been more effective than when performed by one of its great pioneers, Muddy Waters. When he had his mojo working, the hoochie koochie man's kinetic music was a direct extension of his libido, his piston-chugging voice a garrulous weapon of mass destruction. Gritty ain't the half of it. Choice recording: Mannish Boy, from Hard Again.

9. Ray Charles. They didn't call him The Genius for nothing: Brother Ray, blind since the age of seven, remains one of the most adored performers in pop history. His contributions to numerous genres (soul, country, jazz, pop, gospel) have earned him hall of fame status many times over. A little lovin' went a long way with Ray. Choice recording: What'd I Say, from Yes Indeed!

10. Sam Cooke. If Cooke, who was shot at 33 under suspicious circumstances, had made it out of the 1960s, more fans would be hip to the Man Who Invented Soul. The singer of 29 Top 40 hits between 1957 and 1965, Cooke was, simply put, one of the greatest. He's also sorely underrated. Choice recording: A Change is Gonna Come, from Ain't That Good News.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th November 2007 01:26 PM
Blowey Hello Ten Thousand Motels, Agent Provocateur.

Sassy Blow!
8th November 2007 01:29 PM
Sioux Ok.....maybe.......but.......BJORK???
8th November 2007 01:30 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Ok.....maybe.......but.......BJORK???

yeah definitely
8th November 2007 01:48 PM
guitarman53
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

That bastard Mozart was sampling?....Well I'll be.....

I never heard of that, but any kid, 7 years old, who could hear birds singing outside, & be able to write down the notes they were singing, & play it on a musical Instrument, is very advanced to me, his brain was a musical computer.
9th November 2007 02:39 PM
mirfälltkeinnameein [quote]Dr Iff wrote:

You're right. Mick does indeed write a majority of the words, and a good deal of the music. He's a very good musician...

thanks for your answer. i am just a bit tired of that Keith-wrote-everything-myth, that some try to build up, that´s why i wrote that.

i think, working solo in Mick´s and Keith´s case means only working with another band, with other people, and not writing songs alone, because they have done that for 40 years.
have a nice weekend

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)