ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Musical Genius? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
4th November 2007 01:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I think Van Morrison is a genius. Davis Bowie too. Maybe Mozart? I don't think any of the Stones are individuallly genius, but certainly collectively there's a case to be made. Hendrix could be called a guitar genius I suppose.
4th November 2007 02:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bob Ludwig?
4th November 2007 02:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I think Van Morrison is a genius. Davis Bowie too. Maybe Mozart? I don't think any of the Stones are individuallly genius, but certainly collectively there's a case to be made. Hendrix could be called a guitar genius I suppose.

Huh? Mozart is just a 'maybe' but you 'think' Morrison and Bowie ARE? LOL

Mozart was able to play the piano faultlessly by the age of four,was composing by the age of five and wrote a symphony when he was eight.

Kinda puts 'Brown eyed Girl' and 'Space oddity' in the shade a little...

I think 'genius' is an incredibly overused term in popular music. Maybe - at their best - Dylan as a writer and Hendrix as a musician come closest though

[Edited by Gazza]
4th November 2007 02:27 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner Van Morrison is extremely overrated, in my opinion.
[Edited by MemoFromTinaTurner]
4th November 2007 02:53 PM
mrhipfl I wouldn't call any rock n' roll musician a genius, honestly.
4th November 2007 03:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well Goddamit. Bill Belichick is a genius.
4th November 2007 03:05 PM
mrhipfl Rush, maybe.
4th November 2007 03:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ike Turner?
4th November 2007 03:43 PM
guitarman53 Mozart for sure, & J.S. Bach, for musicians Hendrix, Charlie Parker, I'd say Bowie because he experimented beyond the 6 minute pop song, I guess if people are bias for certain musicians they'll call them genius.
About Mozart.http://www.tribalsmile.com/music/article_459.shtml
Mozart and His Genius - Popular History Of Music
4th November 2007 03:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Mozart for sure, & J.S. Bach, for musicians Hendrix, Charlie Parker, I'd say Bowie because he experimented beyond the 6 minute pop song, I guess if people are bias for certain musicians they'll call them genius.

For the record, I'm a big fan of both Morrison and Bowie and I'm not a HUGE Hendrix fan, but to call Van and 'the Dame' geniuses is a hell of a stretch.

Experimentation is all well and good, but only if it works. I dont think Bowie has made a great album since 1980. He had a great run of albums throughout the 70's though. Morrison is very prolific, but in recent years its resulted in some patchiness (I could say the same about Neil Young, Prince and a few others)
4th November 2007 04:03 PM
steel driving hammer Keith's a riff genius ain't he?

Mick's a frontman/showman genius ain't he?

Charlie's a drumming genius ain't he? (he doesn't know how good he really is btw)

Ronnie's a genius in twang ain't he?

And all together, a genius is formed...just like the big bang.
4th November 2007 04:18 PM
Dino37 Term genius is way overrated.

Modern-era Genius? Hmmmm

-Robert Johnson.

-Charlie Parker.

-Bob Dylan (lyric-wise and inflection of vocal delivery)

-That is about it.

Now there have been incredibly influential talents, far more many of those. Presley, Sinatra, Little Richard, Hendrix, Jagger, Richards, Bowie, etc. would all qualify easily for that.

Most influential overall to the RnR era = Presley. Hands down. He is the rise and the fall, the alpha and the omega of the rock n roll experience with image residuals now in the billions.

What I find far more intersting is how so few of today's popular musical acts fall far short of standing any sort of test of time. It seems the Grunge era was the last to produce music that continues to at least on some level be listened to and appreciated by a large audience. The rap/pop genre produces these acts that rise very fast, sell millions of albums, but quickly fade away within a few years. M&M, Fiddy Cent, etc., are experiencing very swift declines in both audience, influence, and generated income. (I had to laugh at a somewhat recent Forbes story listing Fiddy Cent as one of the "richest" music entertainers. He, like most of those acts, has handlers who project the image of vast riches because it plays into the targeted audience who very much value material wealth. The reality is, he is worth far far less than what is given over to the media as fact. Those stories are so often based on "projected" or "estimated" earnings. Utter rubbish. There are only a few black rappers making any real $$ in the business, and they do it from the producing/record label end - where the real $$, along with touring revenue - of which the Stones have very few peers at their level, is made.

P.S. This was a stupid thread and I wish I never had responded to it.

4th November 2007 04:46 PM
fireontheplatter shania twain is geniusly built. she's a genius in every sense of the word....in my book anyway
4th November 2007 05:10 PM
the good The entire concept of genius is bullshit. But I'll play along. As far as songwriting goes,
Keith
Bob Dylan
Hank Williams (an often over looked founder of rock and roll)
And yes, even though he said Mick danced like a fag, John Lennon.
It seems like every time one of these lists comes up
(biggest band, most influential, genius, etc) , most of you pricks never include the Stones. I don't know why. But I find it highly, highly irritating.
4th November 2007 06:11 PM
stonedinaustralia i think people often confuse genius with the fact that there aint half been some clever bastards

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

A genius with the IQ of a moron.
Gore Vidal of Andy Warhol;

4th November 2007 06:30 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

FPM's epitaph on this board.
4th November 2007 07:27 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Kinda puts 'Brown eyed Girl' and 'Space oddity' in the shade a little...

Gazza ...........

You make Joey giggle .
4th November 2007 07:30 PM
Joey
quote:
the good wrote:
The entire concept of genius is bullshit. But I'll play along. As far as songwriting goes,
Keith
Bob Dylan
(biggest band, most influential, genius, etc) , most of you pricks never include the Stones. I don't know why. But I find it highly, highly irritating.

Genius :

Keith Richards
Pete Townshend
Lennon / McCartney
Bob Dylan
Hendrix
Clapton
Becker/Fagen
Keith Moon

5th November 2007 09:05 AM
Mr Jurkka Steve Vai.
5th November 2007 09:27 AM
speedfreakjive John Lennon - glaringly a musical genius in terms od song-writing IMHO
5th November 2007 09:43 AM
gypsy
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

FPM's epitaph on this board.

True that.
5th November 2007 09:51 AM
Joey
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
Steve Vai.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5th November 2007 09:51 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Genius:

sirmoonie
Joey

Come to Joey ........................

Joeykins !
5th November 2007 09:57 AM
EELPIE
5th November 2007 09:57 AM
mirfälltkeinnameein [quote]the good wrote:
The entire concept of genius is bullshit. But I'll play along. As far as songwriting goes,
Keith

keith, and no Mick?
they are a duo, i think
m
5th November 2007 11:17 AM
gimmekeef Blondie Chaplin....somehow despite his lack of talent he keeps gettin up on stage everynight with the greatest r&r band of alltime...Only a genius could pull that off...
5th November 2007 11:38 AM
Fiji Joe I believe that guy from Boston, is an actual genius...he does have an engineering masters from MIT...which begs the question...Why do we care if someone's a musical genius?...I've wasted the last 25 years accumulating music made by a bunch of C students...It's only rock n' roll

5th November 2007 01:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
the good wrote:
Keith
Bob Dylan

I dont find any of the Stones to be musical geniuses individually. What's great about them however is a collective thing. The sum being much more than the combined value of all of the parts.

Then again, youve just said that the entire concept of genius is bullshit.

being the BIGGEST band of all time isnt based on opinion. It's pretty self evident. Most influential is debatable and cant really be proven.

BEST band though is entirely a matter of opinion and taste. Stones every time.
5th November 2007 03:37 PM
gimmekeef You can test for genius...IQ over 140 I think...Course that doesnt mean anyone actually accomplishes anything with all that brain power...They did IQ tests in school.I was too stoned and fucked it all up...
5th November 2007 03:44 PM
open-g What about Micheal Cohl?

he's a genius - well, in a money grabbin' way
[Edited by open-g]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)