ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jerry Lee Lewis Appreciation Thread Return to archive
4th November 2007 10:05 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Great Hall of Fire: Rock Hall honors Jerry Lee Lewis
John Benson
News-Herald.com
11/04/2007

A whole lotta shaking is what will invariably be happening when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum celebrates the life and influence of Jerry Lee Lewis.
As part of the American Music Masters series, "Whole Lotta Shakin': The Life and Music of Jerry Lee Lewis" is a weeklong celebration of the piano-playing rock 'n' roll hero. The event culminates with an all-star tribute concert, taking place at 8 p.m., Saturday at Playhouse Square's State Theatre, Cleveland.

The American Music Masters series began in 1996 and has honored Muddy Waters, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Sam Cooke, Roy Orbison and more. This event celebrates artists who changed the shape and sound of American culture.
"I feel like there is a fair amount of momentum that has been built up with Jerry Lee's career in the past couple of years with a high level of visibility, but the idea of honoring a living American music master has been tickling our imaginations for some time," said Warren Zanes, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum education adviser and public programs producer.

"We just wanted it to be the right person, so it's that first class of inductees that really is the pool we looked at. And there are a few possibilities, but given the fact that Jerry Lee just released 'Last Man Standing,' it really said something about the durability of rock 'n' roll."

Inducted into the Rock Hall as part of the 1986 inaugural class, which included Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Little Richard and Elvis Presley, Lewis retains his legacy and stature in the new millennium.
For proof of his influence, look no further than the list of celebrities who appeared on his latest studio effort, 2006's "Last Man Standing." The album features collaborations with some of the biggest names in rock, including Eric Clapton, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page and Don Henley.

"I don't think Jerry Lee is lost on anybody," Zanes said. "I think you have a lot of young artists looking for models, and he's been very lasting. One of the things that appeals to the young is the strength of Jerry Lee's identity. He is not a yes man. He's his own man, all of the way.

"I think that appeals to the Bruce Springsteens and Neil Youngs but also appeals to like Jack White from The White Stripes."

Born in Louisiana in 1935, Lewis didn't know it at the time but he was surrounded by rising stars. Not only would his career make him a household name, but his cousins Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart also would enjoy celebrity status.

Early on Lewis was attracted to the piano and influenced by a variety of styles. Eventually he'd mix R&B with boogie woogie, gospel and country music to create the Jerry Lee Lewis sound. Considering the times, Lewis' music, onstage swagger and out-of-control pompadour were considered dangerous, which made him a perfect player in the burgeoning genre of rock 'n' roll.

"I think he influenced everybody," said blues rocker George Thorogood, who is scheduled to perform at the tribute concert. "I'm not a piano player, but it's the spirit of the man and the energy. You have to understand when these people did these kind of things, especially in the '50s, it was a very rebellious time. It was almost a musical revolution and Jerry Lee Lewis was one of the headliners."

Thorogood admits part of Lewis' appeal also stems from the fact he was a hell raiser.

"Anyone who gets caught at 3 a.m. waving a gun around Elvis Presley's house drunk and screaming, 'Come out you son of a bitch, let's settle this thing,' that's about the greatest rock 'n' roll story I ever heard," Thorogood said with a laugh. "I have to try that with Bruce Springsteen someday. See how far it gets me."

Thorogood said he'll be performing Lewis' song "Rockin' My Life Away." Lewis will be in attendance but will not perform. Other notables scheduled to appear include Chrissie Hynde, Kris Kristofferson, Shelby Lynne, Cowboy Jack Clement, The Del McCoury Band and more. Even the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart is scheduled to not only appear, but also play piano.

Jimmy Page, who originally agreed to perform, had to cancel due to the Led Zeppelin reunion show taking place later this month.

"If anyone is going to give an excuse, that is the one where I'm like, 'You know what, I can't fight with this one,'" Zanes said with a laugh. "I don't think I stand a chance."
S
till, there will be plenty to see and witness at this year's American Music Masters series "Whole Lotta Shakin': The Life and Music of Jerry Lee Lewis."
"I've been to a lot of shows in my life, and I feel like I can be objective on this one," Zanes said. "I haven't seen anything like this. It's one part family reunion, one part cavalcade of stars, like an old Dick Clark traveling show, and one part history lesson.

"If you ever come to an American Music Master Series show, you'll go away knowing more about whoever is being honored and you will go away moved. That's guaranteed."
For more information about the "Whole Lotta Shakin'" programs presented at or by the Rock Hall, visit www.rockhall.com.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
4th November 2007 10:41 AM
rollmops I have been listening to "The Session recorded in London" quite a lot lately thinking often that Jerry Lee was and still is the perfect rock and roller. He plays rock and roll effortlessly, it's just natural. I especially love the add lib stuff. Jerry Lee is never trapped in a song, he usually takes over the song and pushes the limits. It doesn't really matter that he covers someone else songs because he makes those tunes his own.
Keep rocking Jerry Lee, you're The Man!
Mops
4th November 2007 11:04 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

For proof of his influence, look no further than the list of celebrities who appeared on his latest studio effort, 2006's "Last Man Standing." The album features collaborations with some of the biggest names in rock, including Eric Clapton, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page and Don Henley.

I never realized Willie was such a big "rocker", but that's all cool and shit
4th November 2007 11:06 AM
fireontheplatter isn't this guy a sex offender?

why would i appreciate something like that?

i say, no deal.
4th November 2007 11:11 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
isn't this guy a sex offender?

why would i appreciate something like that?

i say, no deal.

bet you'd appreciate getting a nickle for every tennis ball you've shoved up your ass
4th November 2007 11:18 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Sure.
The list of Rock n roll Stars who banged underage girls is a long list.

4th November 2007 11:28 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Sure.
The list of Rock n roll Stars who banged underage girls is a long list.

Its a tad shorter if you only note cousins...But who cares the man is rock and roll personafied....
4th November 2007 11:37 AM
Bloozehound All those ole Sun records rockabilly cats are the pure essence of rock n roll

scope it, jerry lee and another of his famous cousins micky gilley, starts out kinda country...

4th November 2007 12:38 PM
The Wick there are few songs more beautiful in this world than Middle Aged Crazy
4th November 2007 12:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Nope.
6th November 2007 09:03 PM
TomL Great Balls of fire. Excuse me while I go fuck my cousin.
7th November 2007 10:53 PM
Kilroy The Killer Is great.
8th November 2007 03:21 AM
east_river_trucker
quote:
The Wick wrote:
there are few songs more beautiful in this world than Middle Aged Crazy

I agree. Great, great song. Great lyrics. "The day he traded his old 98 Oldsmobile in he got a hell of a deal -- on a new Porsche car." Ever listen to the live Palomino Club version? AMAZING performances. (Although there are some weak spots. And some drunken forgoten lyrics.)

"Like the dawn old Jerry Lee's heart is silently breaking." I know different song, but everytime I hear that recording I get goose bumps. "Lord I can see the pity in their eyes. They know what everyone else in ol' Memphis, TN knew, but ol' Jerry Lee." "Girl! I trusted you -- and that was my great sin." "Lord knows Jerry Lee never meant to do anyone any harm."

And the dirty, jaded, drunken off mike comments between the songs are priceless. The man experienced more heart ache, dissappointment, and what must have been gut renching failure, than any man should ever have to suffer. And he turned it into some of the greatest music of that type ever made. One can only imaginge the pain behind those sunglasses he's wearing on Austin City Limits performing shortly after his wife died.

Live at the Star Club: Caught him at his most diabolical young man rock n roll rage era.

Live at the Palamono Club: Caught him at his wasted, pill popping, boozy haze, middle aged really don't give a damn how much it hurts anymore country best.

Live at Austin City Limits: Caught him at his most polished, hide the pain, country gentlemen phase. Probably his best live piano work ever recorded - great ivory tickling in there.

I could go on all night about Jerry Lee Lewis. Put some of his records on and I'll be drunk, wasted, and worn by the time the sun comes up, and unfit to go to work.

It should be pointed out:

1. Myra Gale was his SECOND COUSIN twiced removed, as they say. How many off you jerk offs even know who your second cousins are?

2. As was pointed out, the list of entertainers banging underage girls is a long one, including most of the Stones. Nobody seems bothered by that.

3. Presidential hopefull Rudolf Guliani's first wife was his cousin. No one cares about that.

4. Cousins marrying has been the norm in many socities. Most notably among European royalty and American industrialists.

Middle America was shocked by Elvis; they were genuinely offended by Jerry Lee. He was a man before his time -- notice the long hair.

ROCK ON JERRY LEE!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sun's gunna shine on your doorstep someday.
8th November 2007 08:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
The Killer Is great.

been listening to him probably more than anyone else lately.

Downloaded the "Locust Years" boxed set a while back (8 cds comprising a lot of his 60's stuff) as well as some other gems and its rarely too far away from my earphones

Too easy to just bracket him simply as a 50's rock n roller. He's one of the greatest country singers of all time as well and a lot of his music in THAT genre is on a par with the best of his piano-pounding material.
8th November 2007 11:35 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Too easy to just bracket him simply as a 50's rock n roller. He's one of the greatest country singers of all time as well and a lot of his music in THAT genre is on a par with the best of his piano-pounding material.

No doubt

I've never been a big fan of piano based music but Jerry Lee's phenomenal, the dude had all the chops, and his musics got that timeless quality that only musicians of that calibre can make
9th November 2007 09:30 AM
Nasty Habits Jerry Lee is a goddamn monument. The only piano guy I like as much as Jerry Lee is a one-eyed gay junkie from New Orleans named James Booker.

Aside from the Palamino Club my favorite post 60s Jerry Lee is that SMASH album Southern Roots, where he covers Stax and is backed on a Doug Sahm song by the Sir Douglas Quintet. Great record. Has Meat Man.

10th November 2007 02:42 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Jerry Lee is a goddamn monument.

Quoth the nastiest man in the universe
12th November 2007 02:02 AM
Kilroy

1. Myra Gale was his SECOND COUSIN twiced removed, as they say. How many off you jerk offs even know who your second cousins are?
AND HE Truly LOVED Myra

2. As was pointed out, the list of entertainers banging underage girls is a long one, including most of the Stones. Nobody seems bothered by that.

3. Presidential hopefull Rudolf Guliani's first wife was his cousin. No one cares about that.

4. Cousins marrying has been the norm in many socities. Most notably among European royalty and American industrialists.

Middle America was shocked by Elvis; they were genuinely offended by Jerry Lee. He was a man before his time -- notice the long hair.

ROCK ON JERRY LEE!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sun's gunna shine on your doorstep someday.
[/quote]

THank you for this I truely love this man and his music. He takes music written by others and makes it is own, Hank Williams, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Jackie Wilson three great American music ICONS
[Edited by Kilroy]
12th November 2007 08:52 AM
Blowey Sometimes I like to dip my hamsters in kerosene and light them up before shoving them deep into my Corn Cave™ .

Great hairballs of FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wh-wh-wh-wh-what?????

Oh sure, here ya go!:

www.hamsterific.com

14th November 2007 05:46 AM
Shmoey good morning 'lil Blowey

are we felching today?

Ronnnnniecakes 'kins!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)