ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones Museum Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
25th October 2007 11:01 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Brian did take piano lessons from his Mother--and when he was still quite young, she realized that he was too far advanced for her to continue to teach him, so another teacher was hired. I've read that his parents hoped that he would actually be a concert pianist someday....

Brian also took swimming lessons around the same age... but he didnt turn out to be that strong of a swimmer, did he?
25th October 2007 11:39 AM
GhostofBrianJones Steve posted this topic about the museum to inform anyone
who might be interested in it to go and visit it or just
let all BJ fans know that this is especially for Brian Jones.

Please stop insulting Steve and any other BJ fan on here
by bringing up the investigation which has nothing to do
with the museum. When these nasty remarks are posted on
here it detracts from the purpose of the post and starts
to take on the appearance of wanting to start a damn fight.

I hope Gazza, Voodoo and Jaxx will read this and remind
those who insist on making these inappropriate remarks
will stop.
25th October 2007 12:13 PM
zooeyglass [quote]Philip wrote:
Brian does not play the brass instruments on any stones recordings... Sax isn't a brass instrument.

[quote]

Trombone for SHTMY... Trombone is a brass instrument.
25th October 2007 12:19 PM
Sioux And both Bill Wyman and Keith are both on the record as saying that Brian could pick up any instrument and figure it out. And Keith has been quoted as saying that Brian was the most talented musician he ever met. That was, of course, before he decided that Brian was such a horrible person that he never even deserved to live....whatever..
25th October 2007 12:23 PM
Sioux Yes, please, if you hate Brian, please take your comments to another of the MANY threads on this site. This is a wonderful board--with something for everyone. And it's HUGE and must take a lot to maintain. I appreciate all who
do this. If you come here to diss Brian, it doesn't hurt us at all--nor Brian. But it makes those of you who do that look a little "thick" after awhile....{wink}
25th October 2007 12:27 PM
Philip
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:
Trombone for SHTMY... Trombone is a brass instrument.

Brian most definitely did not play trombone on that song.

Regarding Brian playing organ etc, he did play organ on Lets Spend the Night Together and earlier on That's How Strong My Love Is.

[Edited by Philip]
25th October 2007 12:37 PM
GhostofBrianJones I don't know why any of the media bashes Keith. This thread
is about the Brian Jones museum. It is not meant to bash
any of the other Stones. The media bashes everyone alike or
so it seems. You don't have to like Brian at all, that is
your right. I love The Rolling Stones and have since 1964
when they first came out. It just so happens that my favorite
Stone is Brian Jones.

This thread is about the museum and that should speak for
itself. There is no need to be insulting, derogatory or
disrespectful to those who wish to read this without
finding themselves in the middle of a stupid asinine fight
that has nothing to do with the intent of this thread.
25th October 2007 12:45 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
Philip wrote:

Brian most definitely did not play trombone on that song.

[Edited by Philip]

Dear Philip! I had no idea you were in the studio that day, you are my new best friend and must tell me all about it

Seriously, multiple sources have him playing trombone on that -- not to mention trumpet and tuba in some cases.
25th October 2007 12:59 PM
Philip
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:
Seriously, multiple sources have him playing trombone on that -- not to mention trumpet and tuba in some cases.

People just assume he's doing it all because there aren't any session musicians given the credit. Plus there seems to be a general thing of 'if it's a weird part/unusual instrument it must be Brian', but, just like the brass on Have you seen your mother... it was scored for session musicians by Jack Nitsche.

Various sources site various brass instruments on We Love You, but all it features is the MKII Mellotron's mixed trumpet/trombone/saxophone sound.

Also, Brian was not alone in his musical experimentation, Keith, Bill and Charlie all had goes on unusual instruments and got some good stuff out of them. Having the instruments at hand is half the battle...
[Edited by Philip]
25th October 2007 01:18 PM
oldkr rocks off thread go where they may - if you can't handle the heat then maybe a swim is in order.

Keith said brian could play pretty much anything he played- but most people who can play one instrument well can do that, once you have a technical grasp of music and are able to understand how that is translated through one instrument its merely a matter of working out how that new particular instrument makes the translation. I've seen nor heard no evidence of virtuosity on any instrument in brians hands.

Pat Andrews said brian was the most talented musician ever-no-one else

And while people are banging on about bashing brian and other fans and the injustice that he cant defend himself- well, he cant calm the trembling voices of sycophants either.

Just accept that keith never liked brian , was a much better guitar player and could handle his limits with more proficiency and move on.

OLDKR
25th October 2007 01:27 PM
LadyJane
quote:
oldkr wrote:
rocks off thread go where they may - if you can't handle the heat then maybe a swim is in order.

OLDKR

IRONIC POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!

Shidoobee admin explaining RO!!!!!

Thank you KR.

RO...The Asylum...NOTHING is sacred except maybe a thread sending condolences for the loss of a loved one.

Now will someone PLEASE pass the pipe!!!!!!!!

LJ.
25th October 2007 01:35 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
Philip wrote:

People just assume he's doing it all because there aren't any session musicians given the credit. Plus there seems to be a general thing of 'if it's a weird part/unusual instrument it must be Brian', but, just like the brass on Have you seen your mother... it was scored for session musicians by Jack Nitsche.

Various sources site various brass instruments on We Love You, but all it features is the MKII Mellotron's mixed trumpet/trombone/saxophone sound.

Also, Brian was not alone in his musical experimentation, Keith, Bill and Charlie all had goes on unusual instruments and got some good stuff out of them. Having the instruments at hand is half the battle...
[Edited by Philip]

Hell, Keith once said that "the strings" on She's A Rainbow were all Brian!
Yes, the Mellotron is one deceiving contraption.
That said, I try to steer clear of giving Brian credit where credit isn't due for the very reason you mention.

The brass at the beginning/end of SHTMY sounds like the kind of sound one would expect Brian to produce.
Though I'd agree on the middle stuff sounding like session musicians though, I've read several times he was in the studio Dec '66 to overdub the trombone for the song.
25th October 2007 01:51 PM
Philip
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

Hell, Keith once said that "the strings" on She's A Rainbow were all Brian!
Yes, the Mellotron is one deceiving contraption.
That said, I try to steer clear of giving Brian credit where credit isn't due for the very reason you mention.

The brass at the beginning/end of SHTMY sounds like the kind of sound one would expect Brian to produce.
Though I'd agree on the middle stuff sounding like session musicians though, I've read several times he was in the studio Dec '66 to overdub the trombone for the song.

Yes, well the strings are obviously session musicians and we know that they were scored by John Paul Jones. On that song Brian plays the MKII Mellotron using the trumpet sound.

Credit where credit is due for sure, so best not credit brass parts to Brian as he didn't play them. I've read several times that Brian plays slide on Jigsaw Puzzle, but the session outtakes reveal it was Keith etc etc...

Sites like Keno's for example credit Brian with multiple instruments on Gomper for example. Instruments that are not even present on the session outtakes or the complete released song. The reality is that Brian played his custom Vox Bijou(electric dulcimer) and recorder.
[Edited by Philip]
25th October 2007 02:00 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
oldkr wrote:

Keith said brian could play pretty much anything he played- but most people who can play one instrument well can do that, once you have a technical grasp of music and are able to understand how that is translated through one instrument its merely a matter of working out how that new particular instrument makes the translation. I've seen nor heard no evidence of virtuosity on any instrument in brians hands.

OLDKR

It's a pretty broad assumption that anyone who plays a single instrument could pick up any other instrument and figure it out simply because they have technical knowledge of music. None of the musicians I know would agree. If it were true, then it makes me wonder why Keith mentioned it at all in discussing Brian and seemed so in awe of this ability when he did. Go figure.
25th October 2007 02:04 PM
Philip
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

It's a pretty broad assumption that anyone who plays a single instrument could pick up any other instrument and figure it out simply because they have technical knowledge of music. None of the musicians I know would agree. If it were true, then it makes me wonder why Keith mentioned it at all in discussing Brian and seemed so in awe of this ability when he did. Go figure.

But at the same time Keith has said Brian was not alone in that ability. All the stones were able to get stuff out of instruments other than their main one.
25th October 2007 02:10 PM
oldkr zooey,

you know brian is dead right? and that he had a terrible reputation while alive? and that most musicians of that era never mention him because it was all so long ago? and that keith never liked him?

just checking...

as for your musician friends ask them again

OLDKR
25th October 2007 02:11 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
oldkr wrote:
I can play a bit on the piano, i can play a few chords on the guitar, my dog could play a sax I can blow blues riffs on a harp- when I die I hop pat andrews remembers me as the masterful musician that I am.

OLDKR

Go away
25th October 2007 02:13 PM
oldkr brian is dead - go and look at (reasonable facsimiles) his guitars

OLDKR
[Edited by oldkr]
25th October 2007 02:19 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
>>
Both Alexis Korner and John Mayal were playing slide in London in the late 1950's.

Mathijs

I have been a fan of John Mayall(not Mayal)since the early sixties and seen him play live many times but have never heard or read that he played slide in the 1950's.Where did you get this info from. also Alexis Korner when was he playing slide ?.
25th October 2007 02:30 PM
stewed & Keefed I Have sent a good luck message to Trevor from all the Brian fans on Rocks Off.
25th October 2007 02:33 PM
zooeyglass Hey, Philip, shall we agree that today is Thursday, October 25, 2007 on the board? Or shall we fight about the fact that it's Friday, October 26, 2007 in Australia? Let's start our own thread and have a go at it

Hey, Oldkr, when the other Stones are dead, they'll be paid tribute for their musical contributions as well, as they already are. That's what it's all about, period.

Hey, STEVE, thanks again for posting this and I ask your forgiveness for having taken part in the squabbles here.
Whatever Dick Hattrell or Pat Andrews have to say on the past, whatever Brian Jones was or was not, the museum is a nice gesture for Brian and I appreciate hearing about it.
[Edited by zooeyglass]
[Edited by zooeyglass]
[Edited by zooeyglass]
25th October 2007 02:37 PM
Philip
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:
Hey, Philip, shall we agree that today is Thursday, October 25, 2007 on the board? Or shall we fight about the fact that it's Friday, October 26, 2007 in Australia? Let's start our own thread and have a go at it

The date today has nothing to do with Brian not playing brass instruments on Rolling Stones records!?
25th October 2007 02:49 PM
oldkr "Hey, Oldkr, when the other Stones are dead, they'll be paid tribute for their musical contributions as well, as they already are. That's what it's all about, period."

its when tribute becomes deranged fantasy that I take issue.

OLDKR
25th October 2007 05:05 PM
gypsy Didn't Mick bed Pat Andrews one time, when she came around Edith Grove looking for Brian?

Man, she was and still is one ugly woman. She must be making money off of this Brian fan club stuff. If so, she deserves it, since I don't think any of Brian's children received anything financially from his estate after his death.
25th October 2007 06:54 PM
BlueMoonFlowerChild Some people think they know everything about Brian. They don't even know themselves. If you keep complaining about how Brian left all his women pennyless, it's probably because some man impregnated you and you're on welfare.
25th October 2007 09:09 PM
gypsy
quote:
BlueMoonFlowerChild wrote:
Some people think they know everything about Brian. They don't even know themselves. If you keep complaining about how Brian left all his women pennyless, it's probably because some man impregnated you and you're on welfare.

Is that supposed to be your witty retort? Are you building up to a joke or something? Should I put on a hardhat or put up some orange cones?
25th October 2007 09:17 PM
WJ
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Is that supposed to be your witty retort? Are you building up to a joke or something? Should I put on a hardhat or put up some orange cones?

I don't know if they're building up to a joke but why don't you put on a hardhat and arrange a nice display of orange cones around this thread just in case?
25th October 2007 09:30 PM
gypsy
quote:
WJ wrote:

I don't know if they're building up to a joke but why don't you put on a hardhat and arrange a nice display of orange cones around this thread just in case?

It's painfully clear to me that most everyone already has their tardrites on.
25th October 2007 11:30 PM
oldkr
quote:
gypsy wrote:

It's painfully clear to me that most everyone already has their tardrites on.

Maybe so but I can see from some of the views the truth is about as clear and tangible as an oasis in the Jajouka mountains .

OLDKR
26th October 2007 05:38 AM
Doxa Sioux and Stewed and Keefed,

I am sorry if I sounded politically uncorrect here, but I haven't seen the article sent by S&K in anywhere else (for example in LARS or IORR), so I decided to comment it here. It contains some strong claims by Dick Hatrell and Pat Andrews, which, in fact, are bullshit. I just don't like disinformation in any form - be it done with whatever best intentions. Personally I don't like the legacy of Brian Jones to be remembered with false information. However, this is the strategy of some Brian Jones fans nowadays. They don't like what Mick or Keith say about Brian, that The Stones don't do a 'Syd Barrett' kind of gestures, so they try to rewrite the history of Stone solely in terms of "Brian did everything". But when articles based on bullshit like what Hatrell or Anrews offers arec released, the effect is that any person who has a solid common sense, would rise some doubts of the whole Brian Jones issue. These 'Brian Jones fans' don't seem to grasp that the only people who care about Brian Jones are Rolling Stones fans. And what these 'fans' do: bash the two most important figures in the band. The effect is that Brian Jones and his legacy is marginalized even more. Poor Brian, he deserves better.

- Doxa
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)