ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ . 17th November 2006
© Egeboy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aerosmith and Motley Crue in Devore 11/11/06 Return to archive
15th November 2006 02:09 PM
Dan this one is worth it's own review, mostly collected from emails to friends and random posts on the AF1 board

----------------------------------------------------------

The trailer parks were empty and meth was unavailable at the usual points of purchase in the Inland Empire and high desert Saturday night as most of the area's residents filled up the Hyundai Pavilion in Devore for the final area appearance of the Route Of All Evil Tour with Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

I had bought a cheap pair off Ebay in Loge 4 row S and my friend Matt said he would be more than happy to go. I had a great time at the Hollywood Bowl Tuesday, Aerosmith was as good as I had ever seen them and in spite of Motley Crue's glaring irrelevance whenmatched up with a real rock band, I was looking forward to seeing them again too.

My friend David, a long time fan of both bands was also going to come along but he called me the day of to cancel out. He was getting sick and also saw the private Marlboro Anniversary show at the Palladium for free so didn't think seeing them in a massive place would be worth the cost or trouble.

It was a pricey show indeed but at some point in the last few weeks the top price was lowered from $200 to 100. All I was pulling in the days leading up to the show were rows T thru HH. Still not worth the price. After hanging up with David I checked Ticketmaster again and that's when the good tickets started showing up. Got Pit row 3. Tried calling him for over an hour to tell him to reconsider but couldn't get ahold of him.

Matt didn't mind that I was ditching him for a better seat but I gave him the option of giving the extra ticket to whoever he wanted. He couldn't find anyone and I called everyone in the vicinity but couldn't even give it away for free, with transportation already provided. Ended up ditching it for $20 to a scalper because I didn't know the rules out there and he was a familiar face. He appreciated the deal and said he would hook me up next time.

Got a wristband on the way to my seat and it was soon apparent that in spite of a sparse 3 rows of chairs in the pit, there was a gulf of a few yards between the front row and the stage making the show defacto G.A. I liked my seat, centered just a few seats to the right of the catwalk and decided to stay there.

The place was already full when Motley Crue hit the stage with "Dr Feelgood" and the usual blasts of pyro. The show was the same as Tuesday yet very different. This was not the same frustrated band playing to a nearly empty and totally apathetic crowd like Tuesday. The so called white trash that comprised the majority of the crowd are the true roots of Motley Crue and the mutual adoration and kinship likely inspired a much better show than Tuesday.

But make no mistake about it, those people know how to rock. There were no pansies sitting on their asses sipping Chardonnay at this show. If there were they may very well have ended up hanging from the production towers or disappearing into the vast fields of wilderness surrounding the venue. Fists were pumping, half naked chicks dancing on the chairs and flat beer spittle misted into the air as the heavily drinking fans sang along. Unlike Tuesday, Nikki Sixx even complemented the crowd "You guys really know your Rock 'N' Roll!"

Vince Neil was grinning ear to ear most of the night while drinking beer and doing Jagermeister shots with Tommy Lee. I have new appreciation for guitarist Mick Mars. It's obviously painful for him to move anything but his fingers. He nailed most of the riffs and solos yet there was still a bum note or two which added a touch of realism to contrast the taped backing vocals on many songs. Most of his solos were played just a few feet away from me. The music along with the deafening blasts of pyro and searing heat from the flames and the sexy bleach blonde with red highlights dancing on her chair in front of me caused sensory overload a few times.

As with Tuesday, the two best songs were "Louder Than Hell" and "Primal Scream" with Mick's awesome slide guitar solo but all the songs sounded good this time. When Tommy handed the Jager bottle to the crowd Ialmost instinctively jumped forward but decided I don't even want to try to drink after him.

The show ended with "Kickstart My Heart" and more massive blasts of pyro. Motley Crue was loud, wild and in spite of Vince's lack of vocal abilities, it was much more like a classic Motley Crue show than at the Bowl.

My lingering cold was started to get worse but did nothing to dampen the excitement. I started coughing hard enough to split my sides and trigger the gag reflex but luckily I brought in some extra strength Robotussin DM. That night I found out concerts are better with a slight robo buzz than after a few beers.

Soon, dozens of hot chicks, probably handpicked by Steven Tyler himself, began cramming into the pit area. Yep,now it's definitely GA down here. A few people snuck in without wristbands and some lady wanted my ticket stub to bring her daughter down. No way!

Aerosmith kicked things off on the sparse stage with "Toys In the Attic," Joe and Steven racing past me on the catwalk and singing into the same mic. Other than a video screen and a catwalk extending 15 rows into the center of the crowd, there were no other stage props. In a stark contrast to Motley Crue, it was all about the music. The song ended with Steven throwing his sunglasses into the crowd and some guy dived a row of chairs and hit the ground frantically looking for them. A security guard, shined his light on the ground, hoping to get the guy the glasses and get the safety hazard out of the way. Another guy, five feet away and with a look of amusement on his face handed over some sunglasses. Whether or not they were thee sunglasses I am not sure but he was happy to have them.

"Walkin' The Dog" was never really a highlight for me but from my vantage point it became more of a guitar song as Joe Perry cranked out the riffs a few feet away from me. I haven't seen a full show from this close since 1990 and I noticed a few things that aren't as apparent from further away. Steven really plays to all the strategically placed hot chicks and every time Joe walks past a certain spot on the catwalk, the drums crank up in the P.A.

For all the complaints I have been hearing about the set length, these shorter sets are paced better and performed at a higher energy level than any 2 hour Aerosmith shows I have seen. I have been to enough concerts in my life to know that if done right, 80 minutes is about the optimum time for a live rock performance regardless of the size of the band's back catalog and dare I say regardless of the cost of admission.

Tonight was a little longer as they added "What It Takes" to the setlist. Would have rather had it replace "Cryin'" instead of immedietly follow it, but it had all the women swooning around me. The taste of the power ballads were easily flushed away by jamming on blues covers of "Baby Please Don't Go" and Joe's vocal showcase "Stop Messin' Around." Joe gave a shout out to all the great weed wafting up from the crowd, much of it being smoked in the front rows with no interference from the authorities.

Once again, Joe and Steven took seats at the end of the catwalk and gave us only a teaser of the under-rated "Hangman Jury" before "Seasons Of Wither."

There was a major setlist surprise with the rare addition of "Kings And Queens." I felt redeemed for missing it in Anaheim earlier this year. They only play it a few times a tour so I thought that was my last ever chance to hear it in California. It was absolutely divine. Brad's soulfully melodic solo sent chills up my spine. I don't know why they don't play it more often but it was a very special moment.

"Sweet Emotion" featured Joe Perry's theramin solo under laser lights and he threw up a cup of glitter in the set's only moment of cheesy theatre. It segued into another incendiery rendition of "Draw The Line" which is now firmly placed as the traditional set closer. Joe totally wailed on the slide guitar.

The pre-encore interlude was a cartoon which led into the usual "Walk This Way." Guitars were louder and crunchier than Tuesday. While Steven was saying goodnight the chick in front of me stands on her chair and flashes Steven, he stops and says "Nice tits" and sticks out the mic right in her face. Steven finished off by saying it was the best show of the tour. Not sure if he was talking about the band, the crowd or the chick in front of me. I only saw her back.

It was a great show from start to finish. I had lost interest in Aerosmith for several years but they have once again firmly established themselves as a great live act and one of my favorite bands. Some road trips are starting to look tempting for next month.

It was probably the most I spent on concert tickets than the last two years combined but it was well worth it. It was also a good enough show I was able to forget about everyone dropping dead for a few hours.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)