ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Harold!
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - November 18, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Some Girls overrated? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 17th, 2005 01:48 PM
JuanTCB Some Girls is a weird album for me - I love most of the songs but think the bulk of them either suffer from production issues or work far better live. I think its best attribute is that it's a return to straight rock after three weird, stoned, patchy albums. As solid as it is, I'd rank it behind Beggars, Bleed, Sticky, Exile, Tattoo, Undercover, Aftermath, Out Of Our Heads (UK), and maybe even A Bigger Bang.

Track by track:

Miss You - as burnt out as I am on this song, I think it works best in the studio. Both the album version and the 12" mix are great. I won't beat a dead horse talking about the live versions/pee breaks/beer runs, but let's just say I'll skip any version post '78.

When The Whip Comes Down - Very good on record, GREAT live, especially on the '78 and '81 tour. Don't like what they've been doing to it lately - Keith is playing it too straight. Like it's a Chuck Berry cover or something.

Imagination - can't stand the album version - squelchy guitar effects, too mid-tempo, don't like the harmonies on the chorus. Live, however, it's (or was) a monster. The dynamics and weaving for 9 minutes . . . I'd say it's probably the highlight of the '81-'82 tour.

Some Girls - More squelchy guitar, annoying harmonica . . . but great lyrics and a great chorus. Plus, I like the acoustic guitar on the bridge. Really like Ronnie & Bill on this one and was definitely impressed with the '99 version.

Lies - just a crap song live or on record. Bill & Charlie are the only redeeming qualities in my opinion. Perks really peaked in the late '70s/early '80s - his playing seemed to get a lot more agressive in this era.

Far Away Eyes - Well played and well produced (esp. the pedal steel) . . . I think it could have been a much better song if played straight. There's a good feel and a good melody that I think is kind of wasted on what is essentially a novelty song.

Respectable - Their last great Chuck Berry moment in the studio. Goddamn, does it swing! My favorite track on the album and in my top ten of all time. Everybody is perfect on it. Just as good live in '78. It seemed to lose some of its propulsion when they brought it back on the Bridges tour, though.

Before They Make Me Run - I don't really like the production on the record but the song is so great that it doesn't really matter. There's an another mix floating around out there that has more balls - much louder rhythm section and an alternate lead vocal from Keith. Beautiful instrumental break, as well. Great live, too - I only wish they broke this out in '78-'81, when it would have been nice and raw. The Wino's version from the Palladium is a lumbering beast - it fucking rocks. Though I love Lisa & Bernard's backing vox on the live Stones versions.

Beast Of Burden - the greatest weaving song of all time. Great vocal from Mick, too. One of the few songs on Some Girls that really seems to have a depth of sound, if that makes any sense. Always enjoyable live, too.

Shattered - Interesting production on the record but I think it really works up a better head of steam live. Great groove on the album version, though. Ronnie KILLS on the solo/bridge - probably my favorite Ronnie moment with the Stones - it's really greasy. And one of the few songs from this era that still work well live even though they play it too slow.
November 17th, 2005 05:42 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:
Before They Make Me Run - I don't really like the production on the record but the song is so great that it doesn't really matter. There's an another mix floating around out there that has more balls - much louder rhythm section and an alternate lead vocal from Keith. Beautiful instrumental break, as well.

Sounds interesting, on which bootleg?
November 17th, 2005 06:39 PM
JuanTCB Not sure. I think I got it off WinMX or Limewire. I must've lost it when my old computer crashed, too - just went to listen to it and it's MIA.

Basically, the instrumental track is the same, with the bass and drums mixed louder. But same overdubs, etc. - it's definitely the same master take.

The vocals are very similar, though it's clearly another take - Keith either says a slightly different line in the first verse or he flubs one. That's the only difference I can remember.

Overall, it's got a lot more punch and a much wider sound.

Anybody have any idea which version I'm talking about? Could it have been a promo version or an acetate? There was definitely a bit of snap, crackle, and pop on my version.
November 17th, 2005 11:17 PM
time is on my side Some Girls overrated???

I don't think so at least from my perspective. It's the STONES at their very best and the production is done very well. If anything it's underrated because people, like me, have a tendency to rate the big four ahead of it.

I love the big four (Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, and Let It Bleed). To me, it's the STONES at the very peak of their creative powers and the albums have held up very well over TIME. While I rate Exile at the top, the other three can almost be interchanged with one another depending on the mood.

However, if there is one album that comes close and may in fact belong right up there with the big four it would be SOME GIRLS. Great album. Loved it when it first came out and love it to this very day some 27 years later. Another album that's held up well over TIME. Also, now a days, when I listen to SOME GIRLS, I quickly put the GEORGEOUS GIRLS CD's on and listen to the SOME GIRLS songs done live. It just adds to the listening experience and makes you appreciate just how great these songs are.
November 18th, 2005 07:03 AM
Jair I remember when SG came out, I used to let my job (I worked as office-boy to the mayor at the City Hall) and go to home to listen to.
Good times, great music.

Just sharing

November 18th, 2005 09:20 AM
Scottfree As far as studio albums are concerned, I would be more apt to put Some Girls on than any other. However, listening to boots all the time, I've been choosing 78 for the last 2 years with no end in sight. Definitley my favorite live performances, and I love the Taylor years, but it just isn't as listneable, imho....
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)