ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Harold!
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - November 18, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Some Girls overrated? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 16th, 2005 06:12 PM
Ronnie Richards I know some girls are way overrated BTW,but I was thinking bout the album..

Far as I know, Some Girls is the Stones' all-time best selling record. And by many fans and critics, it's considered to be the only post-exile album on a par with the classic '68-'72 output.

To me SG is not only clearly inferior to that period, but also it's not better than any of the albums released 73-81 - except Emotional rescue.

I don't know, to me all the genre exercises - disco,soul, country, punk(ish) - feel perhaps too contrived at times. It's all good, but when Before They Make Me Run comes on, the other songs pale in comparison - and not because of the songwriting in itself, but because there's a general lack of soul, of honest intent, of keith...

November 16th, 2005 06:14 PM
Gazza Not by me its not overrated

I'd only consider Exile to be better as a Stones album, and even then only just. Sticky Fingers is on the same level

And IMO it's probably Jagger's highpoint as a writer
November 16th, 2005 06:18 PM
Saint Sway its not on par w/the Beggars > GHS stuff

but its excellent. Its solid.

I get what you're saying about lacking the soulfullness of Sticky or Exile. But Some Girls is great thru and thru. Greatness is never over rated.
November 16th, 2005 06:29 PM
Soldatti It's not overrated, it saved the Stones career back then.
November 16th, 2005 06:46 PM
FPM C10 Well, it's all a matter of opinion, but I have always thought it was over-rated. Nowhere NEAR the Big Four and not as good as Tattoo You, imho.

For me the title song is the best tune on it, thanks to Sugar Blue's incredible harp and Mick's nastiest, most politically incorrect lyrics.
November 16th, 2005 07:02 PM
GimmeExile Overrated? I think it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, especially in these "best albums" lists, etc.

Some Girls is a gem! One of my favorite Stones albums; it's the one that made me a fan.
November 16th, 2005 07:07 PM
texile blasphemy! it's second only to exile because it matched that album's intensity for its time.
some girls was a raucous, passionate, angry and confused mess......rock and roll at it's best;
it has heat - and if you don't feel it, just listen to all those paris 77 sessions...
gazza is correct - it is jagger's greatest moment as a musician AND lyricist...there is nothing contrived about those lyrics and barely rehearsed thrash of guitars - and jagger's performance is raw and open - something that would never quite happen again .....
they sound positively fucked up and desparate.
November 16th, 2005 08:20 PM
pdog Some Girls is great! 2nd favorite Stones record behind Exile... Then the remaining big four albums are my favs...
Some Girls is perfect.
November 16th, 2005 08:57 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
pdog wrote:
Some Girls is great! 2nd favorite Stones record behind Exile... Then the remaining big four albums are my favs...
Some Girls is perfect.

I mainly agree. Some Girls, like Exile or Sticky Fingers has a unity and cohesion running through it that none of the other Stones albums have to the same degree. Exile is not about the songs, it's about the way it makes you feel. Sticky fingers has some great songs and they are more or less thematically linked, continuing the motifs of dependency, drug addiction and co-dependent and destructive relationships laid out on 'Let It Bleed'. Some Girls is the 1st album where the major feeling is loss/cynicism/feelings of betrayal.In a way those feelings only intensified on ER, Undercover and Dirty Work. (Tattoo You doesn't fit in to this pattern but was mainly old stuff anyway). A secondary theme in Some Girls is life in NYC. At least 4 songs directly mention New York. Having said all that I think Some Girls is their 5th best album, behind the Big 4. But 5th best Stones is still unbefuckinglievable. Some Girls was the 1st Stones album I bought and later I did come to unervalue it but I have since come around to realizing it's brilliance. No way is it overrated!
[Edited by pavlovs dog]
November 16th, 2005 09:05 PM
deuce
quote:
pavlovs dog wrote:
Exile is not about the songs, it's about the way it makes you feel.

Dude,

Exile may be about the atmosphere but without the great song's that are on it, it would be nothing.

As for Some Girls, it too is one of my favorite's, only behind Exile. I don't think it's overrated at all. Dirty, raunchy, kick ass rock and roll at its finest.
November 16th, 2005 09:23 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
deuce wrote:

Dude,

Exile may be about the atmosphere but without the great song's that are on it, it would be nothing.

I agree. Rocks Off, Sweet Virginia, Torn & Frayed,Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues, Just Want To See His Face,Let It Loose,All Down The Line,Shine A Light and Soul Survivor are all among my favorite Stones songs. I meant that you don't listen to songs off of Exile in isolation they way you can with Brown Sugar,Bitch,Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, SF Man,etc. I want to hear Exile in toto every time. When I hear All Down The Line I feel like I just spotted land. When I hear Shine A Light I feel like the sun just came out and when I hear Soul Survivor I feel like I am sailing into port.

may the good lord shine a light on you
and make every song your favorite tune
[Edited by pavlovs dog]
November 16th, 2005 09:47 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Some Girls is one of those Stones albums (along with Let It Bleed and Tattoo You) that you listen to and think "Wow, all the songs on this album are great" (well with the possible exception of Lies and for that matter TY's No Use In Crying --- I usually skip over these). While were at it, Black and Blue is another album that doesn't get the credit it deserves (again with the exception of Melody -- could never get into that song).
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
November 16th, 2005 09:48 PM
glencar Good post. BTW SG is NOT overrated.
November 16th, 2005 09:48 PM
glencar
quote:
glencar wrote:
Good post (pavlov's dog!). BTW SG is NOT overrated.

November 16th, 2005 09:56 PM
speedfreakjive Some Girls is NOT overrated imo. The only song on it i'm not fond of is Lies, but its ok. What I like about Some Girls is the fact that its a reconstruction of the band in many ways, a return to originality as opposed to refining their style. I mean, for a rock 'n' roll album it has so much variety(Shattered is probably the most innovative song they've written).
When I think about the Stones, my big four is always; Exile, Sticky, Let It Bleed...and Some Girls, NOT Beggars Banquet, which IS overrated IMO. Its maybe at no. 5, because the songs other than Sympathy, SFM, Stray Cat Blues and Salt of the Earth don't turn me on. They represent to me the Stones finding their feet again, and so dont quite make the grade for me.
November 16th, 2005 10:26 PM
the good Dude, Some Girls is a kick butt rock and roll album. One of my favorites by the Stones or anyone else for that matter.
So many great songs. When the whip comes down is one of the most bad ass, turn it up, and annoy your neighbors Stones songs of all time. Why they don't play it more often live I don't know.
November 16th, 2005 10:47 PM
CraigP This album redfined cool music for me. It could be their best album alongside Exile. The energy just fucks you.
November 16th, 2005 11:24 PM
Neocon
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Not by me its not overrated

I'd only consider Exile to be better as a Stones album, and even then only just. Sticky Fingers is on the same level

And IMO it's probably Jagger's highpoint as a writer

I think all the best songs on Some Girls are the ones Keith started like Beast of Burden, Shattered, and Before They Make Me Run. All the songs are decent except Far Away Eyes. I'm still debating whether it's a better record than a Bigger Bang. A Bigger Bang has at least 15 decent songs and probably 12 good ones, but nothing as good as Beast of Burden. There is nothing as bad as Streets of Love on Some Girls. Some Girls as you mentioned has great lyrics from Mick as well as Keith "Only a crowd can make you feel so alone." Some Girls has 8 decent songs and 3 that are great. No generic blues like Back of My Hand and Miss You beats the crap out of Rain Fall Down. The songs on both albums are distinct, but I guess I think the Stones could have dropped "Biggest Mistake" once they had "Let Me Down Slow" worked up as a countryish number. LMDS has more guts and balls really and in comparison, BM let's us down. For now my list of best Stones studio albums would include:

Exile
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
A Bigger Bang/Some Girls
Undercover

November 16th, 2005 11:26 PM
glencar Please, let's not forget Between The Buttons.
November 16th, 2005 11:37 PM
Neocon
quote:
glencar wrote:
Please, let's not forget Between The Buttons.

Yea, it's got it's share good tracks, but it's also got its share of tracks that I skipped after a couple of weeks. I think that one has Lets Spend the Night, Ruby Tuesday, My Obsession, All Sold Out, Miss Amanda Jones. I guess I didn't really like Yesterday's Papers, Complicated, Cool Calm Collected, Something Happened to Me, and some of the other slow numbers that started to sound like toy box music "The Butcher the Baker.... Who'se been sleeping here" and "She smiled Sweetly" not really deeply felt stuff was my impression. Briad Wilson's favorite Stones album.
November 16th, 2005 11:52 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Well, it's all a matter of opinion, but I have always thought it was over-rated. Nowhere NEAR the Big Four and not as good as Tattoo You, imho.

I agree. It's overrated. The Stones were imitating their imitators. Not cool. This album in my opinion was the begining of the end. It was the beginning of Mick's mannered and over distinctly pronounced vocal style, and the end of the soulful, garbled lyrics of the previous albums. The soulfulness disappeared, and the saliva spitting lyrics and Chuck Berry bogey ruts emerged. On this album the Stones lost their mojo and they never got it back in my opinion. Tattoo You was great only because it was matariel salvaged from an earlier period, when they still had that great Americanesque R&B soulfulness. Oddly enough, the Soul and R&B influence dissappeared in the studio, but the '81 tour was their most motown influenced tour. In my humble opinon Mick peaked as a live performer on this tour. Keith's greatest consistent live performances were on the '72 tour, and Mick's greatest consistent live performances where on the '81 tour. I am not denying that the '73 boot isn't their greatest live set as a band or that some of Micks greatest live vocals weren't recorded in Paris in '76. What I mean is 81 was the culmination of Mick's stage act in the same way that the '72 shows were the culmination of Keiths live quitar sound. (Although, an argument could be made that '81 was also Keith's live quitar high point. Bill Graham said in his book that his favorite place to be on that tour was behind Keith's amp - on a good night it as incredible. And he was there in one capacity or another on all the tours 69-81).

It seems that the great years for any performer occur after they have lost the stupidities of youth and haven't yet acquired the stupidities of old age. During that period of time the magic occurs. They re-interept the passions of their youth while the out-of-touchness of old age is still at bay.

I read an interview with Tina Turner somewhere a long time ago in which she said that the time she spent with the Stones on the '81 tour was magical. No one knew it at the time, but it was the end of a golden era of rock and roll. If, unlike Bono, you believe in a golden age of pop.
[Edited by LuckyWithTheLadies]
November 17th, 2005 12:20 AM
sammy davis jr. It's overrated....but I learned many a guitar lick from it. I'd put it at #5 all round best album. I never liked "Beast of Burden, but love "Whip". Bill's bass and Charlies drums on this track are groove personified. Shattered was great for the times. Never liked "Before They Make Me Run" much either. Just My Imagination and Lies are filler IMO.
November 17th, 2005 12:30 AM
glencar Shattered really hasn't aged well.
November 17th, 2005 03:05 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I must be one of the only people here who rates Some Girls ABOVE Exile. I have never really understood where people get this intense love for Exile from. I have listened to it many hundreds of times and cant get as excited about Exile as I do an album like Some Girls.

Somebody said earlier that Some Girls was the reason they became a Stones fan. I can totally agree with that. Some Girls was the very first Stones album I bought after Licks and it is timeless.
Think about it

Miss You - Classic
When the Whip Come Down - Superb
Just My Imagination - One of the best covers I have ever heard
Some Girls - Typical Stones. Musically excellent and controversial
Beast of Burden - The greatest Ballad ever written
Shattered - Of the time.

I just cant say all this about Exile.
November 17th, 2005 05:27 AM
IanBillen
Some Girls is thought of as a classic. From the raw music to the album cover art. Some Girls pulls no punches.

Is it over rated?

No.

Ian
November 17th, 2005 06:04 AM
James Burton Voodoo Scrounge, I'm with you on this, I'd rate it over Exile also, much as I LOVE Exile.
Personally, I rate this above any other Stones album (unusual preference, perhaps) it's my #1 fave and is the reason I'm a Stones fan.
November 17th, 2005 07:51 AM
BILL PERKS EXILE IS THE OVERRATED RECORD IMO..SG ROCKS
November 17th, 2005 08:33 AM
gimmekeef Some Girls is perhaps under rated although I personally rate Let It Bleed as #1.For me the album that really got many of my friends hooked on the band though was Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.That one is very underrated in its importance...
November 17th, 2005 10:30 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Also you have to think of the effect the music from both albums has on the stones today. They play a lot more Live stuff from Some Girls than they do Exile. Beast of Burden on the licks tour was the highlight of the tour for me and Shattered has been dusted off for this tour. Some Girls has outlived Exile.
November 17th, 2005 01:09 PM
texile
quote:
Neocon wrote:

I think all the best songs on Some Girls are the ones Keith started like Beast of Burden, Shattered, and Before They Make Me Run.
Exile
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
A Bigger Bang/Some Girls
Undercover

true, keith had the groove - his best in my opinion - but jagger wrote the verses to beast and turned the groove into a heartbreakingly sad and beautiful love song.....
those lines:
'all your sickness,
i suck it up -
you throw it all at me,
i shrug it off.
there's one thing baby,
i don't understand,
you keep on telling me i ain't you kind of man...'

the saddest lines ever written....
jagger OWNS those songs...he rarely gets more real than this.....
and voodoo, although i place exile above any thing mankind has created...
i will not argue with some girls in front of it -
the two are the cornerstones of stones immortality -
those lines above will outlive the melodrama of sympathy in 100 years...
beast is the song non-stones fans love the most....
and when i was 12 years old, after a childhood of top forty radio - miss you was the most real thing id ever heard....
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)