ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Harold!
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - November 18, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bought "Satanic" last night for the first time Return to archive
November 15th, 2005 11:41 AM
Jerry in Boston I'm 40 and have been listening to the Stones since I was a toddler. My Grandma had "Between the Buttons" when I was little and she'd put it on and watch me dance to "Let's Spend the Night..." Anyway, so that's my favorite record.

I recently discovered that all those digipak remasters are being restocked in jewel cases and I decided I need to jump at the remaining few I still need. Well, "Their Satanic..." was one I had never heard or owned so I picked it up.

............... I don't get it. LOL

The only song I knew was "She's a Rainbow" and "2000 Light Years" but I'd never heard the others. Well, "2000 Man" was done by KISS a hundred years ago but I never heard the original until last night.

Am I missing something? Do you guys like this record? Silly question. We all like different stuff but I just don't care for this one at all. Maybe I should try it more than once. Oh well. LOL
November 15th, 2005 11:47 AM
voodoopug I like the songs you mentioned as well as "The Lantern". To me the rest of the album is not very good.
November 15th, 2005 11:47 AM
nankerphelge Satanic Majesty's Request is an experiment that failed on many levels.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm sure:

November 15th, 2005 11:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Great lp cover art though................
November 15th, 2005 11:57 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Great lp cover art though................

That is true! The cover is quite interesting.
November 15th, 2005 12:07 PM
wisertime One of my favorites album of the Stones, seriously.
A lot of great sounds on this LP, it makes me think I must buy the CD as I only have the LP.
November 15th, 2005 12:07 PM
wisertime I forgot : it's far better than the Beatles "Sergeant Pepper's.."
November 15th, 2005 12:16 PM
Gimme Shelter I have always liked Citadel, 2000 Light Years From Home, Dandelion, the Lanturn, and She's a Rainbow
November 15th, 2005 12:16 PM
JaggerLips It has it's charm, indeed the album cover is artistic.
I suggest a few drinks before you settle down to listen to the album.
It's a concept album that's just seriously weird, those who have seen the film Perfromance would agree that , that film and Satanic Majesties were born out of the same LSD trip from someones overactive imagination.

November 15th, 2005 12:59 PM
CraigP One of my favorites. There are alot of subliminal jokes throughout the duration of the album. LISTEN ON HEADPHONES
November 15th, 2005 01:09 PM
Jumping Jack Drop some acid, it will sound much better!
November 15th, 2005 02:52 PM
Jerry in Boston Thanks for all of the hints and advice. I might have the drinks and listen in the headphones but I'll skip the acid - I wouldn't know what it even looked like anyway. LOL Seriously, I'll give the record a few more spins.

Did I miss a song though? Someone mentioned "Dandelion" as a favorite from this record. I must have skipped it by accident or something. I do know that song and it's quite nice.
November 15th, 2005 03:58 PM
Child of the Moon I will swear by the album, up and down, 'til the day I die. It was one of the first Stones discs I ever bought, and it's still a favorite. If you look at it less like a "Stones" album and more like just a piece of psychedelic-era music, it really begins to make a little more sense.
November 15th, 2005 04:03 PM
albert Hi Jerry,

Dandelion isn't on Their Satanic. It was the b-side of one of the singles but it cetainly has the feel od that era and could fit in on Satanic easily.

I like Citadel as a rocker. Gonna listen to this one right now. Been a long, long time ago for sure.
Think I'll take the advice for the drink (for me) and the headphone (for the mrs.)

gr,
Albert
Holland

November 15th, 2005 04:38 PM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I will swear by the album, up and down, 'til the day I die. It was one of the first Stones discs I ever bought, and it's still a favorite. If you look at it less like a "Stones" album and more like just a piece of psychedelic-era music, it really begins to make a little more sense.

yep, exactly

I love this album, it's awesome. Stand out tracks for me include "Citadel" (this song kicks so much ass, great riff from Keith and Brian's horns are a perfect, beautiful touch which really takes the song to another level), "2000 Man", "The Lantern" (great guitar riffs from Keith and Brian) and "Gomper" (other than the gutiar and vocals, Brian plays everything: organ, tablas, flute, sitar and tamboura.

Listen to this album on drugs.....preferabley psychedelic drugs.

It's not better than Sgt. Pepper's....but Satanic Majesties is a proper psychedelic 'rock' album.
November 15th, 2005 05:35 PM
stonesmik I had a time when I listened to that album quite frequently. I also smoked weed quite frequently those days. The Stones have so many albums, I'm happy THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is one of them. I still like it better than no-risk-stuff like STEEL WHEELS. Also with "2000 light years from home" it includes a real classic in my opinion, the song is sure worth to be in the Stones top 20. I was very glad to hear that one during the 1990 Urban Jungle tour.

Nowadays I don't listen to that album so much anymore. But I don't listen to the Stones SOOO much anymore either. Hey there are other artists as well :-)
November 15th, 2005 05:59 PM
bitotas Great album,
Citadel, 2000 Man, She's a Rainbow, The Lantern.
If you started litening to it today, it may seem a little
"dated".

Try the "The Satanic Session", for a more stripped down sound. You'll get several instrumental takes for these songs.
November 15th, 2005 06:25 PM
Soldatti I'm not a fan of this album, but it sounds great if you're stoned.
November 15th, 2005 10:17 PM
Bob Tamp I remember the first time I ate mushrooms in 1981 at a big college party, and I decided to put this on. People got pretty fucking weird over it. Definately a great trip album. lol
November 15th, 2005 11:23 PM
Zack TSMR is wildly inconsistent: half great, half sucks.
Great: Citadel, In Another Land, 2000 Man, SAR, 2000 LYFH
Sucks: Sing This All Together (both); The Lantern; On With the Show (the only true Pepper ripoff on the album)
Not great but love anyway: Gomper
Should have been on: We Love You, Dandelion
Would have fit perfectly but wasn't written yet: COTM
November 16th, 2005 06:10 AM
corgi37 The only thing i like about my LP is the 3D cover. Dont know if its worth anything (dont really care about these things). Some ok stuff, but alot of crap. Citadel is pretty good. Brilliant use of feedback. Cool with headphones. Lots of channel swapping & little tricks.

But, its pretty much redundant crap compared to Beggars.
November 16th, 2005 04:45 PM
DAVINO I've always liked it. I try not to compare albums too much, I'm glad they made it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)