ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Harold!
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - November 18, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You Can't Always Get What You Want (An exegetical essay) Return to archive
November 12th, 2005 10:36 AM
pavlovs dog
I saw her today at the reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she was gonna meet her connection
At her feet was, footloose man

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you might find
You get what you need

And I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singin', 'We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't, we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse'
Sing it to me, now

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standin' in line with Mr. Jimmy
A-man, did he look pretty ill

We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was 'dead'
I said to him

(You can't always get what you want) well no!
(You can't always get what you want) tell ya baby
(You can't always get what you want) no
But if you try sometimes, you just might find, mmm!
Mmm! you get what you need
Ooh yes! Woo!

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well, I could tell by her blood-stained hands
Say it!

To me the song is saying we pay a big price for our illusions; A 'footloose' man is someone without attachments or commitments so for him to be at the feet of a woman means he is surrendering his freedom. Later on we see that the man bleeds for his inability to see through his illusion. Obviously the woman represents something to him that she isn't. Since she is waiting for her connection she is probably just a junky with a pretty face or a disarming smile (or maybe just an awesome set of tits). The tricky part that I haven't figured out is; she wants the drugs but she gets the bleeding man. Is that what she needs? Furthermore does he need to bleed? Needing to bleed sounds to me like atonement like he's done something bad and he now needs to expiate his guilt. Maybe he's footloose because he has been running from the scene of his crime.

Contrast that with the second verse about the demonstration. Here there is awareness that the protest is part of a charade, an act. Maybe there's a cathartic value to it, to blow off steam. Maybe the protesters want change and revolution but just need to vent their frustration.

Then we come to the Chelsea drugstore. He goes to get a prescription which is a need and instead of the intoxication of a want (the red wine) he has the simple satisfaction of the cherry red soda (nice symbolic contrast of the two red liquids); the illusion that leads to bleeding versus the sobriety of the guy who is obviously Ok. (I think the dying Jimmy is brought in juxtaposition to show the singer is definitely not suffering.)

The song ends with affirmation. Really the song can be used as a mantra. We all run around chasing illusions, trying to satiate desires that once they are satisfied only create the next desire and when we are frustrated in our quest for fulfillment we get depressed not realizing what we really need are the simple things in life; companionship, a cherry red soda, a chance to vent our frustration. It's reassuring to hear these things even if we don't believe it. I think this song is partly an act of self persuasion (just like the song 'Too Tough' from the Undercover album which I will write about in the future) because we do get caught up in our illusions and we need to convince ourselves. So just remember:

But if you try sometimes, well you might find

You get what you need

November 13th, 2005 06:36 AM
Zack How do you know it wasn't a glass of white wine?

P.S. You get your STP set yet?
November 13th, 2005 12:10 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
Zack wrote:
How do you know it wasn't a glass of white wine?

P.S. You get your STP set yet?

Good point! Someone else pointed out the same assumption!

No, I haven't received it yet. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

How are things in your part of the world right now?
November 14th, 2005 04:25 PM
rocker Exegetical? atonement? expiate? Are you, by chance, a preacher?

Just asking! I am an orthodox, reformed, evangelcial presbyterian pastor serving in the mainline PCUSA. Cool stuff. Its a great song for theological reflection.
November 14th, 2005 04:29 PM
Saint Sway I firmly believe that Mick wrote this song with every intention of one day using it as a vehicle to sell soda pop
November 14th, 2005 05:11 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
rocker wrote:
Exegetical? atonement? expiate? Are you, by chance, a preacher?

Just asking! I am an orthodox, reformed, evangelcial presbyterian pastor serving in the mainline PCUSA. Cool stuff. Its a great song for theological reflection.

reverend pavlov's dog, 1st church of the plastic jesus(vegan synod)- only kidding!

no, I am what some call a lapsed Catholic. Some have even called me an Atheist. I'm really not,swear to God!. I don't have a Doctor's of Divinity but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Yes, I have read a lot of religion, Theology and Religious History. I just love words like kerygma and apollonarism. I do think Mick has deep feelings about god and Jesus, I would love to talk to Mick and Jesus,all three of us splitting a case of australian chiraz or something.
November 15th, 2005 05:36 AM
corgi37 I think its Jagger trying to get the Stones to out-Beatle the Beatles.
November 15th, 2005 06:39 AM
pavlovs dog
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I think its Jagger trying to get the Stones to out-Beatle the Beatles.

well if that's the case he did very well once again!

we all know that The Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man is better, that Satisfaction is a better single than any Beatles single ever released, that Their Satanic Majesties Request is superior to Sgt Pepper's and that Exile is a 10 times better double album than the White Album.

Also I bet Mick got more pussy than Paul, alot more.
November 15th, 2005 11:31 AM
Make It Funky Well, its no secret that Mick nailed Linda Eastman in '66, before Paul got to her. I reckon it's something Mick never allowed Paul to "forget". Ofcourse, it wasn't uncommon then to have second-hand girlfriends... (linda Keith, Bianca, Anita, Jerry Hall, Pamela Des Barres etc etc).
November 16th, 2005 06:51 AM
corgi37 I always have a vision of Macca doing a chick. I always think, just as he shoots his 10cc's worth, his loving spoonfull, that he shakes his mop top and goes "woooooooo" like he did in Twist and Shout.

Dont know why i think that, but i do. Bet Mrs. Hop-a-long thinks its cute too! Just after she's had a money bath, of course.

And thrown pennies to the poor.

And whipped the servants.

And gone into her sound-proof chamber and screamed "I'm so bloody rich!" - whilst wearing a coat made of living minks, leather knee high boots, snake skin mini skirt & unborn pony hide vest.
November 16th, 2005 08:03 AM
pavlovs dog
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I always have a vision of Macca doing a chick. I always think, just as he shoots his 10cc's worth, his loving spoonfull, that he shakes his mop top and goes "woooooooo" like he did in Twist and Shout.

you need help!

I thought I was a sick fuck, but I can honestly say I've never thought about Macca banging anybody.

but you remind me of one thing, do you think someone like Bill Gates who has soooo much money fucks alot of hot pussy? I mean if I had his money i'd bitches on demand, stashed around the country in ranches, resorts and condos all just waiting for me.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)